Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jay-Z Decoded

Go down 
+5
Dang! Trotter
Wayne
T. Myers
TheHazardous
Shaun
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 11:10 am

Anybody picking this up?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 11:14 am

Haven't heard anything about it. Is it an album?
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 11:26 am

details please?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 11:29 am

It is a book, and i doubt i will be buying it.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 12:35 pm

Even as a "Jay-Z stan", I don't think I'm copping this book either. (I may change my mind though, lol.)
Back to top Go down

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 1:28 pm

Its a book, here's a brief description from Amazon:

Amazon.com Review
Amazon Best Books of the Month, November 2010: Like its multi-hyphenate author, Jay-Z, Decoded is many things at once. At its core, Decoded is an eloquent and candid memoir detailing the story of a man who was born in a Brooklyn housing project, spent his teen years dealing drugs on the streets of Trenton, New Jersey, and grew up to be one of his generation’s most successful artists and businessmen. But Decoded is much more than a memoir: it is an intensely personal homage to hip-hop, as written by a man who so clearly adores the art form; it is a rare glimpse of the unexpectedly deep meanings behind the most recognizable rap lyrics of the last decade; and it is a truly moving collection of essays on topics ranging from Hurricane Katrina to the decline of the music industry. Unconventional type design, line drawings, and photographs visually emphasize the author’s message that rap is a form that transcends and defies easy categorization. There’s not much in the way of celebrity gossip here, but what we get, instead, is a gritty and enormously compelling look inside the cultural phenomenon of rap, from one of the men who contributed so much to its shape. --Juliet Disparte

Jay-Z on Decoded
When you're famous and say you're writing a book, people assume that it's an autobiography--I was born here, raised there, suffered this, loved that, lost it all, got it back, the end. But that's not what this is. I've never been a linear thinker, which is something you can see in my rhymes. They follow the jumpy logic of poetry and emotion, not the straight line of careful prose. My book is like that, too.

Decoded is first and foremost, a book of rhymes, which is ironic because I don't actually write my rhymes--they come to me in my head and I record them. The book is packed with the stories from my life that are the foundation of my lyrics--stories about coming up in the streets of Brooklyn in the 80's and 90's, stories about becoming an artist and entrepreneur and discovering worlds that I never dreamed existed when I was a kid. But it always comes back to the rhymes. There's poetry in hip-hop lyrics--not just mine, but in the work of all the great hip-hop artists, from KRS-One and Rakim to Biggie and Pac to a hundred emcees on a hundred corners all over the world that you've never heard of. The magic of rap is in the way it can take the most specific experience, from individual lives in unlikely places, and turn them into art that can be embraced by the whole world. Decoded is a book about one of those specific lives--mine--and will show you how the things I've experienced and observed have made their way into the art I've created. It's also about how my work is sometimes not about my life at all, but about pushing the boundaries of what I can express through the poetry of rap--trying to use words to find fresh angles into emotions that we all share, which is the hidden mission in even the hardest hip-hop. Decoded is a book about some of my favorite songs--songs that I unpack and explain and surround with narratives about what inspired them--but behind the rhymes is the truest story of my life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 1:34 pm

Oh and i'm buying it more than likely. It'll be a little xmas gift to myself.
Back to top Go down

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 1:53 pm

That amazon review made it sound a lot better than i thought it would be... given the title and all the illuminati shit I though this was going to be some pretentious jay z shit...
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 5:35 pm

Id rather read George Bush's book
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 5:57 pm

I think it sounds pretty cool. I won't get it because i don't read books but I would watch it if they made it into a movie. I, too, would be more interested in reading W's book, tho.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 8:52 pm

no im not buying it.

Back to top Go down

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 4:15 pm

This book is real good so far. The man really packed a lot of meaning a lot of those lyrics. Jay has more depth than I originally even thought.

He talks about being on a track with Big Daddy Kane where he rapped his same verse from The Symphony and after hearing it made him go home and go even harder with his written skills. He is talking about things he saw and did growing up and how that affected his rhyme style. Just a lot of dope info.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 12:39 pm

this book is a must buy for all hip-hop heads IMO, whether you're a Jay fan or not...there is a bunch of informative info in it and it shows a lot of things and thought processes in writing lyrics...alot of the double and triple meanings to a bunch of things you've listened too but may have never really understood or cared too....and also a bunch of his influences throughout his life, some personal moments and some important hip-hop events are listed in it

again a must own for anyone into hip-hop music and culture IMO
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 1:45 pm

Not a Jay fan at all, which I know I've overstated anyway. This book looks interesting, though. I'll probably pick it up used within the next few months.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 5:51 pm

If I ever get back into reading, I will pick this up.
Back to top Go down

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 7:27 pm

Sounds interesting, I may pick it up next time I stop by Barnes & Noble.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jay-Z Decoded Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jay-Z Decoded   Jay-Z Decoded Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jay-Z Decoded
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: