Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The East Coast Chronic?

Go down 
+7
ctrx
TheHazardous
Wayne
Shaun
Laced With Slang
Dang! Trotter
T. Myers
11 posters
AuthorMessage

The East Coast Chronic? Empty
PostSubject: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 11:34 am

What east coast album to you could be considered an east coast The Chronic and why?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 11:36 am

My pick is:

The East Coast Chronic? Cover

This album has some innovative production and has some dope guest. Everytime I hear it The Chronic comes to mind just for the east coast. One of the best produced albums in hip hop to me. And also Diamond D was no slouch on the mic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 3:50 pm

I can't say I disagree with you here Kev, Diamond D definitely laced this album with dope beats and lyricism. This is easily my favorite DITC album and the guest MC's definitely did their thing here. I'm glad that you hold this album in high regard. It's definitely a overlooked gem and a hip-hop classic.

Sally's Got A One Track Mind>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 4:10 pm

I think the Diamond D is a good pick. As odd as it may sound, i'd say 36 Chambers did a lot of the same for the east coast that The Chronic did for the west coast. Both introduced us to a lot of dope mcing whether it be the guest spots on the chronic or the multitude of mc's on 36 Chambers. The Chronic cemented Snoop's status as a star. I feel 36 Chambers made Meth a star. Both are great works of art from a production stand point, and both albums had a huge impact on the sound of each coast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 4:21 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I think the Diamond D is a good pick. As odd as it may sound, i'd say 36 Chambers did a lot of the same for the east coast that The Chronic did for the west coast. Both introduced us to a lot of dope mcing whether it be the guest spots on the chronic or the multitude of mc's on 36 Chambers. The Chronic cemented Snoop's status as a star. I feel 36 Chambers made Meth a star. Both are great works of art from a production stand point, and both albums had a huge impact on the sound of each coast.

In terms of making people stars I agree with your 36 Chambers pick. But as far as a producer rockin the mic I'd pick Stunts, Blunts, and Hip Hop.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 4:42 pm

It think The Chronic told the story of the west - what it was all about - on a nationwide level... 36 chambers did it to an extent, but doesn't have the balance and variety of the chronic... stunts did it on one level, but it was an underground CD, so it did not have the impact.

I would probably say Ready to Die is the better nomination for its variety, pop hits, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 5:02 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
It think The Chronic told the story of the west - what it was all about - on a nationwide level... 36 chambers did it to an extent, but doesn't have the balance and variety of the chronic... stunts did it on one level, but it was an underground CD, so it did not have the impact.

I would probably say Ready to Die is the better nomination for its variety, pop hits, etc.

I can't argue against the Ready To Die pick, but I disagree with you saying that 36 Chambers didn't have the variety of The Chronic. It introduced a bunch of different MC's with different styles, and it had plenty of balance.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 5:19 pm

Onyx-BacDaFucup. Why? Well they both came out at around the same time. Both made ripples in the rap community and went platinum plus. And both were competeing for album of the year
during the BET (or was it Soul Train?) musical awards. Both albums were vastly different but thats the key-Chronic represented the sound of the west like Bacup represented the sound of the East.

But in a genuine comparation Id say its a draw between ERic Sermon's No Pressure and MF Doom's Operation Doomsday. Dre's album was a rebirth of some sorts were he was no longer with NWA and had a new protege,posse, record label. His album emphasized on his production and other MC's lyrics rather than his own rhymes . Same with NO Pressure, Eric went solo,no longer EPMD, introduced Keith Murray and the album was loaded with cameos. But most of the cams were already established artist.

Now take Operation Doomsday. Revered as a classic that help propel the indy movement. Doom like Dre gave himself a new rebirth. There was a lot of focus on the production. Doom introduced the Monsta Island Czars like Dre did the Death Row. And with Tommy "Megalon" Gunn on 3 tracks he was sorta a Snoop/Murry protege. Difference here is that Doom's own lyric swas the milestone of the LP.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 5:24 pm

^ nice picks Trotter
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 6:19 pm

I agree with Terry's 36 Chambers pick. That album shaped East Coast hip hop for the next few years, just as The Chronic did for the west
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 6:40 pm

36 Chambers is a hell of a pick.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 7:42 pm

Rae's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx would be my pick. First and foremost, the production, possibly the best produced album ever, and certainly lyricism, storytelling, theme, and everything else that came with that classic album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 7:44 pm

This isn't a "your favorite east coast album" thread...
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 7:46 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
This isn't a "your favorite east coast album" thread...

I know that SRP, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 7:47 pm

Cuban Linx is a concept album.. born of Raekwon's overactive imagination....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 8:13 pm

I'd also say that Illmatic is the Doggystyle of the East Coast, as both albums introduced legendary MC's to the game (Nas, Snoop) who guest starred on other albums and created a huge buzz based on those appearances.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 8:14 pm

not trying to be a dick but which other album did Nas star on? the one track on Breaking Atoms???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 8:18 pm

nas didn't star on anything else... and people are making some dumb ass comparisons... I will say Fugee's The Score is the east coast chronic because the title starts with The and black people were rapping on the CD.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 8:47 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
My pick is:

The East Coast Chronic? Cover

This album has some innovative production and has some dope guest. Everytime I hear it The Chronic comes to mind just for the east coast. One of the best produced albums in hip hop to me. And also Diamond D was no slouch on the mic.

Kev you stole my answer!
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 8:51 pm

lmao @ SRP
Back to top Go down
ctrx
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
ctrx

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 9:11 pm

In terms of influence, "Illmatic" or "Ready to Die." Set the standard for how their coast's music would sound for the next generation.

In terms of pure sound, Masta Ace's "Sittin' on Chrome," just because it sounds a lot like "The Chronic" and even uses some of the same samples.

In terms of circumstances, "Liquid Swords" or "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx." Rappers from a seminal crew breaking free of the group setting with timeless solo debuts.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 9:29 pm

I always thought of Double or Nothing as the Chronic of the East. The way it showcased the up and comers...the way Red stole the album on his few verses....the way almost every track is straight fiyah.....and Sermon is most definitely a Dre parallel.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 7:18 am

A few picks i would think about might be
OC Word Life, Show & AG Runaway Slave or Smoothe Da Hustla Once Upon a time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 11:00 am

Lounge wrote:

I can't see those at all. What makes you even semi think they can be parallel or even compared to The Chronic?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 12:12 pm

Lounge wrote:

Let me just throw in Kwest The Madd Lad's This Is My First Album as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 8:28 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
nas didn't star on anything else... and people are making some dumb ass comparisons... I will say Fugee's The Score is the east coast chronic because the title starts with The and black people were rapping on the CD.

Apparently your dumbass never heard of Live at the BBQ or Back To The Grill. Stick to the South burrito boy, you don't know shit about the East.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 8:30 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
not trying to be a dick but which other album did Nas star on? the one track on Breaking Atoms???

Return Of The Product by MC Serch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 8:31 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Apparently your dumbass never heard of Live at the BBQ or Back To The Grill. Stick to the South burrito boy, you don't know shit about the East.

slang asked what albums nas starred in, so i answered correctly. learn to read watermelon boy.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 8:36 pm

lol @ watermelon boy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 8:40 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

slang asked what albums nas starred in, so i answered correctly. learn to read watermelon boy.

It was WRONG fudge packer, scroll above.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 9:10 pm

hahaha.. wow... so you have ONE FUCKING FEATURE on an album and you "star" on it? You're reaching more than usual today KJ.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 10:38 pm

So...an album with consistently great production...some good rapping and some bad...and lyrically the themes are split between murder, sex, and drugs....I guess Ready To Die it is.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov 2010, 4:32 am

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Lounge wrote:

I can't see those at all. What makes you even semi think they can be parallel or even compared to The Chronic?

because they were all listening to the chronic when they wrote their albums, and they sound very similar in some ways to the chronic.

lol buggered if i know Kevin... I cant remember what I was thinking at the time but I didnt feel like anything can be compared to chronic from east coast because its all so different.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov 2010, 9:55 pm

i can see Runaway Slave
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov 2010, 10:16 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I always thought of Double or Nothing as the Chronic of the East. The way it showcased the up and comers...the way Red stole the album on his few verses....the way almost every track is straight fiyah.....and Sermon is most definitely a Dre parallel.

Completely agree. A lot of people always look to Premo or RZA or Extra P and so on when it comes to crafting the sound of the East, but E Double was on par with, if not better than, any east coast producer during that time frame. The only barometer that one could use to down him is sales...which he was no slouch when it came to that either.

I think No Pressure would be a better pick, but I'm with you 100% on the sentiment...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov 2010, 10:46 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
hahaha.. wow... so you have ONE FUCKING FEATURE on an album and you "star" on it? You're reaching more than usual today KJ.

Not only do you not know how to read, you don't know how to count either. Damn, the Texas school system must really suck!

Nas was featured on TWO tracks prior to Illmatic, Live At The BBQ and Back To The Grill and he shined on both of them and was hyped as one of the next big breakout stars. Halftime was also released a year or two prior to Illmatic dropping and the buzz got even bigger en route to one of the most critically acclaimed albums of all time. What part of that don't you understand?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:31 pm

Read KJ... read... learn to read.. then I will respond to you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:35 pm

You're obviously the illiterate one, not to mention ignorant. But it's whatever. You can lead a jackass to water but you can't make him drink.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov 2010, 12:22 am

Here is the breakdown:

1. Slang asked what ALBUMS Nas starred on.

2. You mentioned ONE album where Nas had ONE feature!

3. One feature is not STARRING MY DUDE!!!

4. You are a DUMB ASS!!

5. YOU CAN'T READ MY DUDE!!!

6. SKYZOO's DICK STAY'S IN YOUR MOUTH!!!

7. MY DUDE!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov 2010, 12:29 am

Poor, poor, KJ. His nurse must be out of town for the week. Who's helping you get dressed?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The East Coast Chronic?   The East Coast Chronic? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The East Coast Chronic?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: