Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?

Go down 
+10
parker lewis
TheHazardous
Wayne
yOGi420™
Half
D.Powell
Laced With Slang
ctrx
Funk Seoul Brother
T. Myers
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Empty
PostSubject: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:07 am

Or had the potenial to be?

XXL asked this same question on their website so I would like to know was there a point or instance where this may have hit you?

Or not?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:23 am

Great in what aspect? Overall? Rhyming? Performing? Producing? I think he's a great producer, but that 's the only aspect i'd consider him to be great in. He ranges from good to very good in other aspects.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 12:17 pm

As soon as I heard Late Registration. That album ranks very high on my personal favorites.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 12:29 pm

Beanie Sigel's "The Truth" as far as beats go, and definitely his guest spot on Jay-Z's "The Bounce" proved to me he has some potential as a rapper.
Back to top Go down
ctrx
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
ctrx

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 12:31 pm

Production-wise it was definitely on "The Blueprint"...perhaps "Heart of the City" specifically.

As a solo artist, all it took for me was his first single "Through the Wire"...that song is still amazing to me.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 12:33 pm

ctrx wrote:
Production-wise it was definitely on "The Blueprint"...perhaps "Heart of the City" specifically.

As a solo artist, all it took for me was his first single "Through the Wire"...that song is still amazing to me.

Still probably my favorite Kanye song.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 1:10 pm

he doesnt really have any appeal as an MC and is borderline annoying, great producer though
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 1:16 pm

hmmm

probably when I heard Through The Wire...that is easily one of his greatest songs, but I started to really know he was special when I heard all of that great production he blessed Common with on Finding Forever and also that beat for his own song Flashing Lights...as a producer Kanye a.k.a. THE PRICK is second to none...regardless of how you feel about him as a person most of his beats do bang.....
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 1:23 pm

This Can't Be Life
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 4:09 pm

For me it all started when I heard College Dropout. The album blew me away with how raw, humorous, and honest it sounded. I really doubted him in the beginning when I heard he was a producer turned rapper. But Late Registration solidafied he was something special for me because he was able to stay consistant. I knew he was a going to be one of the greats. Even though 808's scared me....lol.

People always clown on this lack of lyricism but his passion, swag, and subject matter makes up or that big time in my book.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 4:40 pm

T. Myers wrote:
ctrx wrote:

Still probably my favorite Kanye song.

Ditto
Back to top Go down
yOGi420™
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
yOGi420™

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 5:05 pm

i never did. sorry guys. Big Grin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 6:02 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Great in what aspect? Overall? Rhyming? Performing? Producing? I think he's a great producer, but that 's the only aspect i'd consider him to be great in. He ranges from good to very good in other aspects.

I co-sign this. While I think he's a better rapper than many people give him credit for, he's an above average MC at best. He's definitely a great producer though.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 7:34 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
I co-sign this. While I think he's a better rapper than many people give him credit for, he's an above average MC at best. He's definitely a great producer though.

This sums up the thread nicely.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 7:41 pm

To answer this question, I would say I realized Kanye was great when I heard "Through The Wire" and everything that went on regarding that one song.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 9:15 pm

Late Registration
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 10:48 pm

I got College Dropout a few late, a couple months before Late Registration came out. As I started looking into his work, I realized he was involved in alot of music I'd been listening to for awhile. Late Registration was kind of a let down, though. About half of it is worthless to me, but the tracks I like I like a lot.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 10:51 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I got College Dropout a few late, a couple months before Late Registration came out. As I started looking into his work, I realized he was involved in alot of music I'd been listening to for awhile. Late Registration was kind of a let down, though. About half of it is worthless to me, but the tracks I like I like a lot.

As far as his albums go I think Late Registration is his best effort. It's more pop than hip hop though, and I can understand why that would bother a lot of his fans and hip hop fans in general. But overall it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal (look at the praise for Dark Twisted Fantasy)
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 10:53 pm

Um. Late Registration is dope, Half. Bitch
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 10:55 pm

indeed
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 10:57 pm

Shaun wrote:
Um. Late Registration is dope, Half. Bitch

Do you read my posts or do you just skim through them?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 10:58 pm

Late Registration is half dope. Bitch
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:02 pm

Your words don't deserve my reading.

And, Parker, what are the 'good' track on there? I'm assuming Gold Digger is in the wack half.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:25 pm

Gold Digger is not wack at all. It got played out pretty quick, but it was never wack.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:26 pm

I think Hey Mama and Addiction are the only kinda weak tracks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:30 pm

Late Registration is my fav by Kanye personally, I thought he was at his best lyrically on that album.

I felt like Bad Boy's Street Team, I couldn't work the LOX! LMAO!!
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm

I thought he was the best lyrically and beats-wise as well
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm

Gold Digger
Drive Slow
My Way Home
Diamonds
Hey Mama
Gone

Those are the tracks I listen to. I really think the rest of the album is terrible. More like a thrid dope.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:35 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Gold Digger
Drive Slow
My Way Home
Diamonds
Hey Mama
Gone

Those are the tracks I listen to. I really think the rest of the album is terrible. More like a thrid dope.

I don't know man, Crack Music, Touch The Sky, and Heard Em Say are nice
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm

I don't fuckin like em
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:37 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I don't fuckin like em

You have no choice but to like em
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 12:48 am

Kid Joe wrote:
Gold Digger
Drive Slow
My Way Home
Diamonds
Hey Mama
Gone

Agree, except for the inclusion of "Drive Slow" which rocks the same sample as the far superior "No One's Iller Than Me" by D-12.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 12:50 am

Jeff wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:
Gold Digger
Drive Slow
My Way Home
Diamonds
Hey Mama
Gone

Agree, except for the inclusion of "Drive Slow" which rocks the same sample as the far superior "No One's Iller Than Me" by D-12.

Get on chat it's major
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 12:53 am

"Agree, except for the inclusion of "Drive Slow" which rocks the same sample as the far superior "No One's Iller Than Me" by D-12."

Drive Slow>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Get on chat it's major"

We Major>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 1:17 am

Jeff wrote:
Beanie Sigel's "The Truth" as far as beats go, and definitely his guest spot on Jay-Z's "The Bounce" proved to me he has some potential as a rapper.

Is everyone's sarcasm detectors broken or do they just scroll over this shit?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 1:19 am

Jeff wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Is everyone's sarcasm detectors broken or do they just scroll over this shit?

Join the club mane
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 1:20 am

I think you need to start begging for attention again
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 1:38 am

HA! I think you need to go back to lols, and Linker needs to go back to not being a douche. Never gonna happen though...
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 2:18 am

what the hell happened on chat?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 2:37 am

smh. N3R0 is mad at Linker, and the aftershock makes him mad at me.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 2:42 am

Shaun wrote:
smh. N3R0 is mad at Linker, and the aftershock makes him mad at me.

thats what happpened on chat?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 2:46 am

lol posse or lame posse...which fits you guys better?

When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? 13930
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 2:55 am

LMAO!!!! KROB YOUR from ATLANTA!!!! LMAO!!! Dem Franchize Boyz and Ying Yang Twins sure are GOOD!!! LMAO!!!! I see YOU my DUDE!!!!
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 2:56 am

We're the Mash Out Posse
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 3:03 am

D.Powell wrote:
LMAO!!!! KROB YOUR from ATLANTA!!!! LMAO!!! Dem Franchize Boyz and Ying Yang Twins sure are GOOD!!! LMAO!!!! I see YOU my DUDE!!!!

Indeed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 3:15 am

Shaun wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Indeed

Yep just like i figured....lame posse. That fits most of you better. Not many LOL's coming from that camp.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 3:32 am

Yes, exactly. Saying that everyone on the forum who uses this place for what it was made for (to have fun) is lame, and everyone else who is way too serious and controlling is normal. Makes perfect sense. Just like most of the things you post.

I guess discussing ish in the chatbox that actually means something is looked at as lame. Cool. In that case, you are the least lame poster on this site. Congratulations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 3:40 am

Shaun wrote:
Yes, exactly. Saying that everyone on the forum who uses this place for what it was made for (to have fun) is lame, and everyone else who is way too serious and controlling is normal. Makes perfect sense. Just like most of the things you post.

I guess discussing ish in the chatbox that actually means something is looked at as lame. Cool. In that case, you are the least lame poster on this site. Congratulations.

Laughing My Ass Off

Wow. Shaun mc rhyme pro bro sho let rhymes go...lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You actually posted something that has more than one liners and one sentence. Man i'm proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you could do it Mc NY Broski dope rhyme slayer...lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 3:44 am

Exactly what I'm saying, right here. Me, SRP, N3R0, etc. posts some shit like that, and you get your period. But, when you do it, it's fine? Makes a ton of sense. Go bump your Kanye albums thinking about how you're going to uplift the black man
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 3:47 am

Shaun wrote:
Exactly what I'm saying, right here. Me, SRP, N3R0, etc. posts some shit like that, and you get your period. But, when you do it, it's fine? Makes a ton of sense. Go bump your Kanye albums thinking about how you're going to uplift the black man

Now this is worthy of "lol" posse representation. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?   When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When Did You Realize Kanye West Was Great?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: