Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Downloading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wayne
One in a Million
avatar

Posts : 2725
Join date : 2010-10-28
Age : 33
Location : North Chesterfield, VA

PostSubject: Downloading   Sat 04 Dec 2010, 6:17 pm

Whether you download new albums, OOP albums, etc, what are your overall views on downloading music?
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1302
Join date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sat 04 Dec 2010, 6:33 pm

I personally do very little DL'ing. When I do it is because it is out of print, or my album purchased is sealed and I don't want to open it. In terms of music that's still in print, I dont really agree with DL'ing it because I feel it is helping to ruin industry and profits for a lot of artists, in particular, those on indie labels. In one respect you can't blame people with some of the terrible music that gets put out now days but in my view that still doesn't make it right. The responsibility falls on the individual in the end though because in terms of where we're at now, all an artist can do is hope that the people who like to download illegally will go ahead and buy their music if they like it. I don't pay to download albums as mp3 because I rather use the money towards a physical copy.
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 574
Join date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sat 04 Dec 2010, 6:44 pm

I download lots of music because all the local record stores carry is mainstream. I the order the shit I really like
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
avatar

Posts : 10096
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 27
Location : Eardrum>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quality

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sat 04 Dec 2010, 7:30 pm

I don't really download anymore, but I'm not against it...

_________________
[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2009-05-26
Age : 41
Location : Kentucky

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sat 04 Dec 2010, 8:25 pm

I just really don't have time to download. Plus, i like owning physical copies.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sat 04 Dec 2010, 8:52 pm

I download lots of music for many reasons.

1) There's artists whom I like a song or two from, but I don't like them enough to buy their album.

2) To see if an album is worth my money. If it's an album in which I find myself spinning a lot then I'll go buy thew physical copy. I refuse to spend my hard earned money on wackness.

3) A lot of older albums are OOP and I don't want to spend 30+ on a CD that should cost 12.99 or less.

4) A lot of artists who don't get much radio play don't have their albums available in stores, which is one of my biggest pet peeves about post-2000 hip-hop.

A lot of people frown upon the digital age, but personally I LOVE IT! It makes obtaining music much easier and convienent.



Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sat 04 Dec 2010, 9:34 pm

I download everything unless it's an automatic purchase...K-Rino, CunninLynguists, etc. I will buy what I deem worth my money.

If an artist doesn't plan on having their product downloaded, and make arrangements to earn money otherwise (touring, merch, bundling...) then they deserve to miss out for their stubborn, unrealistic idealism. Or maybe they just don't have a head for business...which is really the label's role, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
avatar

Posts : 10096
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 27
Location : Eardrum>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quality

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sat 04 Dec 2010, 9:51 pm

"3) A lot of older albums are OOP and I don't want to spend 30+ on a CD that should cost 12.99 or less.

4) A lot of artists who don't get much radio play don't have their albums available in stores, which is one of my biggest pet peeves about post-2000 hip-hop."

The two main reasons downloading should be accepted.

_________________
[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3500
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 36
Location : Bankhead SHAWTY and we'll take yo COOKIE!

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sat 04 Dec 2010, 10:58 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
I download lots of music for many reasons.

1) There's artists whom I like a song or two from, but I don't like them enough to buy their album.

2) To see if an album is worth my money. If it's an album in which I find myself spinning a lot then I'll go buy thew physical copy. I refuse to spend my hard earned money on wackness.

3) A lot of older albums are OOP and I don't want to spend 30+ on a CD that should cost 12.99 or less.

4) A lot of artists who don't get much radio play don't have their albums available in stores, which is one of my biggest pet peeves about post-2000 hip-hop.

A lot of people frown upon the digital age, but personally I LOVE IT! It makes obtaining music much easier and convienent.




ditto for the most part

But I prefer physical copies. Computers crash and hard drives malfunction. I've experienced both.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 241
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sun 05 Dec 2010, 1:51 am

TheHazardous wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
I download lots of music for many reasons.

1) There's artists whom I like a song or two from, but I don't like them enough to buy their album.

2) To see if an album is worth my money. If it's an album in which I find myself spinning a lot then I'll go buy thew physical copy. I refuse to spend my hard earned money on wackness.

3) A lot of older albums are OOP and I don't want to spend 30+ on a CD that should cost 12.99 or less.

4) A lot of artists who don't get much radio play don't have their albums available in stores, which is one of my biggest pet peeves about post-2000 hip-hop.

A lot of people frown upon the digital age, but personally I LOVE IT! It makes obtaining music much easier and convienent.




ditto for the most part

But I prefer physical copies. Computers crash and hard drives malfunction. I've experienced both.

External hard drive baby

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 121
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sun 05 Dec 2010, 3:16 am

I used to download a ton of music. But now I buy most of it. I will only really download if the album is OOP or is an artist I'm unsure of
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
avatar

Posts : 3898
Join date : 2010-06-11
Age : 39
Location : Adventuring...

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Sun 05 Dec 2010, 4:34 am

TheHazardous wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
I download lots of music for many reasons.

1) There's artists whom I like a song or two from, but I don't like them enough to buy their album.

2) To see if an album is worth my money. If it's an album in which I find myself spinning a lot then I'll go buy thew physical copy. I refuse to spend my hard earned money on wackness.

3) A lot of older albums are OOP and I don't want to spend 30+ on a CD that should cost 12.99 or less.

4) A lot of artists who don't get much radio play don't have their albums available in stores, which is one of my biggest pet peeves about post-2000 hip-hop.

A lot of people frown upon the digital age, but personally I LOVE IT! It makes obtaining music much easier and convienent.




ditto for the most part

But I prefer physical copies. Computers crash and hard drives malfunction. I've experienced both.

Same here. Any music on my computer gets saved though, so I don't have to go through all that again.

I download stuff that's OOP or that I'm not sure about. If I like it enough, I'll get a physical copy. I d/l'ed both Pigeon Hole and Dirty Circus, and have since ordered and received the physical copies. I generally use downloading as a test drive.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 12:49 am

I don't download anything....I BUY all of my music...I support hip-hop music and culture 100%..and that extends to R&B, old school rock, reggae...etc..etc


again this is only my opinion on it!
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 574
Join date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 8:52 pm

That's why powells range of hip hop is limited
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:32 pm

Cory wrote:
That's why powells range of hip hop is limited


support hip-hop!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:34 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Cory wrote:
That's why powells range of hip hop is limited


support hip-hop!

By listening to as much as you can.

All the albums you're not buying, don't you think the artists would want you to at least hear their music? Then make informed decisions on your purchases?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:42 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Cory wrote:
That's why powells range of hip hop is limited


support hip-hop!

I do support hip-hop. Downloading ISN'T stealing when you do it responsibly. Meaning buying physical copies of albums that you like after hearing the download.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:45 pm

it's still stealing.. you just excuse it... you are still stealing it sampling and for those who you do not purchase you are not benefitting them at all or compensating them at all.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:46 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
Cory wrote:
That's why powells range of hip hop is limited


support hip-hop!

By listening to as much as you can.

All the albums you're not buying, don't you think the artists would want you to at least hear their music? Then make informed decisions on your purchases?

listening is a part of supporting the culture but I own a bunch of hip-hop by both BUYING and LISTENING to it, so I'm not sure I see your point completely man! except that is helps you to identify what you feel is wack and is not wack before you actually make the purchase but I always have looked at it like...if its wack there's always e-bay my dude...lol

support hip-hop mane!


Last edited by D.Powell on Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 9:47 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
it's still stealing.. you just excuse it... you are still stealing it sampling and for those who you do not purchase you are not benefitting them at all or compensating them at all.


CO-SIGNAGE!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:16 pm

I think artists and labels need to come up with ways to turn downloads into some sort of leverage...eventually money. Packaging extra product to buyers is a good move. There needs to be a way to track downloads. That info could be turned into demographic charts to maximize touring revenue, focus merch advertising, and prove a fanbase for presenting to prospective labels.

Things have changed. People are going to steal music. You can either (as an artist) say it isn't fair and get mad, or find a way to use it to your advantage. Overall, it has done good I think. The suits have been cut out of the equation, artists can market directly to their fans, and you can't sell shit nobody wants, because people are only going to buy what they already know they like.

Teachers need to be rich for what they do...rappers don't.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:18 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I think artists and labels need to come up with ways to turn downloads into some sort of leverage...eventually money. Packaging extra product to buyers is a good move. There needs to be a way to track downloads. That info could be turned into demographic charts to maximize touring revenue, focus merch advertising, and prove a fanbase for presenting to prospective labels.

Things have changed. People are going to steal music. You can either (as an artist) say it isn't fair and get mad, or find a way to use it to your advantage. Overall, it has done good I think. The suits have been cut out of the equation, artists can market directly to their fans, and you can't sell shit nobody wants, because people are only going to buy what they already know they like.

Teachers need to be rich for what they do...rappers don't.

umm i agree with everything until the bolded part. That is fucking ludicrous. Why the fuck would anyone rap if they arent going to make any money. Do you think people would play sports professionally if they didnt get paid for it? Music is entertainment no different than that.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:21 pm

yeah. the last part is idiotic... especially considering how unqualified and just plain bad most teachers are...

I understand rappers should try to turn this in their favor, but these so called fans who aren't supporting the music they claim they love are fucking pathetic.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:22 pm

Well they don't make what they used to, and I'm fine with that. As a matter of fact, it is very likely that there are actually more emcees now than there were in 95, so I guess some people just do it to do it, huh?

And it wouldn't hurt if the whole sports industry got shook up the way the music biz did, either. That shit's a little ridiculous, when you compare it to what people make when actually providing a necessary service.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:24 pm

Teachers wouldn't be so bad if it was a high profile profession. That's a bullshit response to a legitimate ideal.

And, I think most fans download and support.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:29 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Well they don't make what they used to, and I'm fine with that. As a matter of fact, it is very likely that there are actually more emcees now than there were in 95, so I guess some people just do it to do it, huh?

And it wouldn't hurt if the whole sports industry got shook up the way the music biz did, either. That shit's a little ridiculous, when you compare it to what people make when actually providing a necessary service.

Athletes do not get overpaid. The only reason athletes get paid what they do is because there is a demand for it, most owners are very frugal and would not pay these players if there wasnt a market. Its all about economics and sports stars make what they deserve
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:58 pm

I'm not saying the players souldn't get the money that's there...I'm saying the sports industry is bloated to begin with. If some type of technology could come along and reduce the whole ($) to a fraction of what it currently is... I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just like the music biz.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:25 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Teachers wouldn't be so bad if it was a high profile profession. That's a bullshit response to a legitimate ideal.

And, I think most fans download and support.


the words download and support shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence here IMO.....they are 2 totally different things....the download part is just a tool for listeners to identify wackness or things that are not wack...this is a support system for themselves not the culture...

support hip-hop mane....plain and simple!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:29 pm

Reading comprehension, powell...

Do I download? Yes

Do I support the music I like? Yes

Therefore, I download and support hip hop.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
avatar

Posts : 2725
Join date : 2010-10-28
Age : 33
Location : North Chesterfield, VA

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:38 pm

The ONLY material I download pretty much are mixtapes (via www.livemixtapes.com) because I don't buy them out the stores. I'll ALWAYS buy and order studio albums no matter what. I did recently download 50 Cent's Power of the Dollar (thanks Linker!), mainly because I'm a long time 50 fan and the album is out of print. No way I'm paying around $80 or something for a USED copy on Amazon, even if it is 50. I've heard that I can get this on Ebay for much lower, but I'm not doing Ebay at the moment, lol.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:46 pm

Its simple.........

With so many new artist it is counter productive to buy all of it. But it is also not productive to not be willing to give almost any artist a try because you do not want to over spend at that time or whatever. Downloading just like anything else is about balance.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 12:28 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
it's still stealing.. you just excuse it... you are still stealing it sampling and for those who you do not purchase you are not benefitting them at all or compensating them at all.

Dude, don't act like you never download anything. So if I'm a thief then so are you.

The only difference is that there's absolutely NO SHAME IN MY GAME!!!

I've been burned so many fucking times over the years by wack ass albums it's pathetic. That's thousands of dollars that I could have used for something that would have benefitted me much more. Fuck that "support every artist" bullshit. A lot of these artists are STEALING FROM FANS when they think they can put out any old half assed album and expect me to buy it.

The majority of these guys make way more money than we do anyway. They're driving around in Bentleys and Rolls Royce's and have big ass mansions and yachts and have butlers and maids. Whereas I gotta work hard every day to make a living. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend my hard earned money on a 3 star album if I can help it.

I know someone in this forum is gonna make fun of me for typing this post, but personally I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!! These artists need to put themselves in their fans shoes, and remember what it was like for them before they got in the rap game. I think some of them (not all, but some) have forgotten that.

People can say what they want about me, but one thing everyone can honestly say is that I call it like I see it and I don't hold anything back. Those who are thinking about bashing this post, at least have the decency to think about what I said before doing so. I'm sure that some will agree with what I said, but for those who don't it's whatever.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 12:41 am

I've done it before and I don't think I'm any better than anyone else or I haven't been a thief. I'm not trying to put anyone down, just pointing out that no matter how you candy coat it, it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 12:53 am

I try to explain this to a lot of younger cats. That I get why downloading can be a positive but when abused it is a big negetive. It really shows how low we can stoop for selfish reasons. Something you say you love and want but you want it for free? All the time? Thats bullshit. Pay for the good stufff or the stuff you feel will be good.

Also with as much music as a lot of us listen to and check out would it really be financially savvy to buy everything you think you want? I can't speak for everyone but I have a life outside of this cutlure and buying every cd I hear about or may be semi interested in is not logic.

Back to top Go down
PKT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 713
Join date : 2010-11-07
Age : 26
Location : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:38 am

It's either buy or download, if i don't have money to buy, of course im gonna dowload it. And thats supporting, because listening is keeping it alive.

True musicians make music because they love it, not because they get money from it. And they want us to download it, if it's the only way we can hear it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.soundcloud.com/tolppanen
PKT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 713
Join date : 2010-11-07
Age : 26
Location : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:50 am

"Why the fuck would anyone rap if they arent going to make any money."


Back to top Go down
http://www.soundcloud.com/tolppanen
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:27 am

PKT wrote:
It's either buy or download, if i don't have money to buy, of course im gonna dowload it. And thats supporting, because listening is keeping it alive.

True musicians make music because they love it, not because they get money from it. And they want us to download it, if it's the only way we can hear it.


I agree with this but I'm 100% sure that if your downloading it, that they would want you to pay for it...then it's truly supporting their craft because your still listening to their artwork but also compensating them for creating it...

do not ever believe that heads create that artwork not to get some type of benefit from it...that benefit being in money and/or pussy/penis...artists are artists for a reason my dude.....real talk!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:43 am

Kid Joe wrote:
Reading comprehension, powell...

Do I download? Yes

Do I support the music I like? Yes

Therefore, I download and support hip hop. Score = 0

if you're downloading FREE material then you are NOT supporting the culture.....reading comprehension lil joe.....ya dum-may!

and again this is MY OPINION on it....please stop trying to change MY OPINION on it stupid! thanks a bunch!
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 820
Join date : 2010-01-09
Age : 44
Location : Hartford

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 12:07 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I download everything unless it's an automatic purchase...K-Rino, CunninLynguists, etc. I will buy what I deem worth my money.

If an artist doesn't plan on having their product downloaded, and make arrangements to earn money otherwise (touring, merch, bundling...) then they deserve to miss out for their stubborn, unrealistic idealism. Or maybe they just don't have a head for business...which is really the label's role, anyway.

Agreed. The real money is in the merch, tours and promotions. DL'ing is hurting the labels more then the artists themselves. Although I don't DL everything, I do whenever an artist is on a major, so needless to say, I buy most of my Hip Hop albums. But I can see the point in Kid Joe's philosophy.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 1:14 pm

Jack of Spades wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:
I download everything unless it's an automatic purchase...K-Rino, CunninLynguists, etc. I will buy what I deem worth my money.

If an artist doesn't plan on having their product downloaded, and make arrangements to earn money otherwise (touring, merch, bundling...) then they deserve to miss out for their stubborn, unrealistic idealism. Or maybe they just don't have a head for business...which is really the label's role, anyway.

Agreed. The real money is in the merch, tours and promotions. DL'ing is hurting the labels more then the artists themselves. Although I don't DL everything, I do whenever an artist is on a major, so needless to say, I buy most of my Hip Hop albums. But I can see the point in Kid Joe's philosophy.


not true my dude....these labels are the ones that "control" what comes out and what type of hip-hop we get a chance to listen too......there's a reason why K-Rino or Cormega or Brand Nubian have never seen massive sales figures my dude and there's a reason why Souljah Boi or Lil Wayne or Nicki Minaj continue to see staggering numbers....those 3 previous acts are small examples of artists who have been hurt by downloading....I'm sure their sales figures would be much bigger if people just bought their albums....they would have much more exposure if their "sales" numbers where larger...much more radio play if they could increase their sales numbers which would directly impact the type of hip-hop that receives radio play/gets exposure

"REAL" hip-hop would return in a major way my dude....back in the dayz "sales" numbers didn't play such a major role and groups like Group Home or Black Moon or Public Enemy as examples would be heard in the afternoon on the radio and video shows...it didn't matter that they weren't "selling" as much...their product was just too dope not to be heard....this philosophy has changed dramatically now...

downloading is hurting the culture and no where outside of hip-hop music is this more prevalent (this shit doesn't affect rock or country like this)....do your homework on this man...and you'll see I'm right!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 1:20 pm

I think all this "do it for the love, do it for the art" shit is hilarious.

People can't do it for the love if they don't have food to eat, a shirt on their back, and a roof over their head. Especially if they have family and kids.

Traditionally, artists have still been compensated and paid for their art. If not from their art directly, from the governments, or from other sources. The problem here is that downloading makes it so a lot of these artists can not make an average living off of their work. Downloading is a slippery slope...for every few people who actually buy what they like, you have 100000s who just download and never give the artist a penny.

Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1302
Join date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 3:39 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I think all this "do it for the love, do it for the art" shit is hilarious.

People can't do it for the love if they don't have food to eat, a shirt on their back, and a roof over their head. Especially if they have family and kids.

Traditionally, artists have still been compensated and paid for their art. If not from their art directly, from the governments, or from other sources. The problem here is that downloading makes it so a lot of these artists can not make an average living off of their work. Downloading is a slippery slope...for every few people who actually buy what they like, you have 100000s who just download and never give the artist a penny.


That sums it up pretty good for how I see it... and imagine if those number of people who do actually make the purchase instead just stole like everyone else.... what would the artist be left with. I don't know of any artist that is happy about their brand new album being put up onto the net for dowloading.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
avatar

Posts : 1774
Join date : 2010-07-31
Age : 34
Location : Palm Bay, FLA : Home of the Bomb Hay

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 4:49 pm

Reasons why I download:

1) CD's cost money
2) Downloading is free

The End


It really is that simple. I would love to claim that i have a ton of integrity and that I support artists and blah blah blah...but the fact is that I can't afford to buy all the music that I want to listen to and since it is available for free, I get it for free. Isn't that what Hip Hop is all about? This is a fan's version of the struggle. Rappers sell drugs, pimp hoes, and kill people to make a living when they are trying to make their way out of the ghetto. Well, i'm in the metaphorical ghetto and until I can make it out, I'm gonna do what it takes to get what I need, and what I need is music. When I graduate and get a "real" job and start ballin I promise I will buy two copies of every album that I have ever DL'ed, until then all these rich ass, whiny ass, spoiled ass rappers can suck a dick up til they hiccup. As for the indies, they should be thanking god that anyone is even listening and spreading the word about them. And as Powell reminds us all...this is JUST MY OPINION! lol
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 5:28 pm

Wanduras wrote:
Reasons why I download:

1) CD's cost money
2) Downloading is free

The End


It really is that simple. I would love to claim that i have a ton of integrity and that I support artists and blah blah blah...but the fact is that I can't afford to buy all the music that I want to listen to and since it is available for free, I get it for free. Isn't that what Hip Hop is all about? This is a fan's version of the struggle. Rappers sell drugs, pimp hoes, and kill people to make a living when they are trying to make their way out of the ghetto. Well, i'm in the metaphorical ghetto and until I can make it out, I'm gonna do what it takes to get what I need, and what I need is music. When I graduate and get a "real" job and start ballin I promise I will buy two copies of every album that I have ever DL'ed, until then all these rich ass, whiny ass, spoiled ass rappers can suck a dick up til they hiccup. As for the indies, they should be thanking god that anyone is even listening and spreading the word about them. And as Powell reminds us all...this is JUST MY OPINION! lol


A lot of heads feel the way that you do and it's hurting the culture overall...but it is what it is....2010/2011 hip-hop has taken a HUGE downturn anyway in terms of quality.....so keep right on downloading my dude....long live the 80's and 90's....when hip-hop was really hip-hop! Ban
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 5:30 pm

Lounge wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I think all this "do it for the love, do it for the art" shit is hilarious.

People can't do it for the love if they don't have food to eat, a shirt on their back, and a roof over their head. Especially if they have family and kids.

Traditionally, artists have still been compensated and paid for their art. If not from their art directly, from the governments, or from other sources. The problem here is that downloading makes it so a lot of these artists can not make an average living off of their work. Downloading is a slippery slope...for every few people who actually buy what they like, you have 100000s who just download and never give the artist a penny.


That sums it up pretty good for how I see it... and imagine if those number of people who do actually make the purchase instead just stole like everyone else.... what would the artist be left with. I don't know of any artist that is happy about their brand new album being put up onto the net for dowloading.


CO-SIGNAGE!
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
avatar

Posts : 1774
Join date : 2010-07-31
Age : 34
Location : Palm Bay, FLA : Home of the Bomb Hay

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 6:50 pm

Powell what are those cartoons supposed to represent?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 7:35 pm

Wanduras wrote:
Powell what are those cartoons supposed to represent?


Ass Licker

what does the above represent??

Get The Fuck Out


how about that one??


like I said earlier SUPPORT HIP-HOP...which ya broke ass j/ks baby bubba don't worry about it mane!
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
avatar

Posts : 1774
Join date : 2010-07-31
Age : 34
Location : Palm Bay, FLA : Home of the Bomb Hay

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 8:18 pm

Damn it...i really wanted to know what they meant. It's a stick of deodorant and a banana doing the peanutbutter jelly on a piano. That's not exactly straight forward.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 8:19 pm

The deodorant is for when people get BANNED

the peanut butter jelly dance is a joke... back when Jeff and Linker were in a "group" called Onslaughter I made that smiley for them jokingly...apparently is was prophetic...lol
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
avatar

Posts : 1774
Join date : 2010-07-31
Age : 34
Location : Palm Bay, FLA : Home of the Bomb Hay

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 8:39 pm

Ah...very clever...NOT! Powell will appreciate that outdated comeback, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Downloading   

Back to top Go down
 
Downloading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: