Downloading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 8:41 pm

Wanduras wrote:
Ah...very clever...NOT! Powell will appreciate that outdated comeback, lol.

Score = 0
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 8:42 pm

I guess not...
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 11:04 pm

Look it's really simple. Downloading let ne hear different artists then what I was used to (only east coast) because of it I have bought much more music from many different artists supporting coasts and underground raps that I never would have supported without downloading. I used to buy every cd and now I have a collection on shit because I liked a few songs, got the album and hated the rest. Anything I download and like I buy. If I could return albums I'd buy more and not download.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 9:16 am

Cory wrote:
Look it's really simple. Downloading let ne hear different artists then what I was used to (only east coast) because of it I have bought much more music from many different artists supporting coasts and underground raps that I never would have supported without downloading. I used to buy every cd and now I have a collection on shit because I liked a few songs, got the album and hated the rest. Anything I download and like I buy. If I could return albums I'd buy more and not download.

LAME excuse Cory...throw all your "wack" shit in a box and have a damn garage sale or say hello to e-bay, you'll make a little of it back either way man...and you can use that money to further support the culture...

as for that being the only way to hearing far away hip-hop..that's lame too...lol

you can get a bunch of hard to find hip-hop by making a purchase. I've done it many times even on rec's from this forum...if you're buying these downloads then that's 1 thing but if you're listening to a bunch of free shit then that's where you're not fully supporting the culture.....

this type of shit rarely happens to Taylor Swift's numbers...or Madonna's numbers

I think heads on here need to trust their hip-hop judgements more often....I rarely buy wack hip-hop man....the few that I have purchased are no longer owned by me, and those purchases are not made that much....so that excuse is lame to me man....make a damn decision and buy it.....SUPPORT HIP-HOP culture man!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 1:50 pm

You also don't listen to nearly as much music as the rest of us, Powell.

And, a lot of these artists are at points where they would rather be downloaded and heard than just not heard at all.

Just look at all the free albums put out in the last few years.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 2:49 pm

A couple things I wanna say after reading this thread...

1) You can download and still support rap music. If I download Joe Blow's album (download) and I really like it, then I will purchase (support) said album from Joe Blow. The two are not mutually exclusive.

2) I download a ton, but I also purchase a ton. Without the downloading, those purchases don't get made because, as KJ pointed out, no one wants to get burned by wackness anymore. I've been burned enough to know that a test drive is necessary...especially with the dip in quality; as Powell pointed out.

3) Even before downloading, unless you were routinely gold or platinum, you made most of your money on the road doin' shows. That's the case moreso today. Unless you're selling your shit directly through paypal or hand to hand or out of your trunk, downloading doesn't hurt you as much as it hurts the labels who can't recoup on their investment.

4) Downloading opened me up to different regions of music. Midwest, Canadian and West Coast underground music (mostly west coast and Canadian). Back when downloading first became available to me, the very first artists I downloaded were Planet Asia, Atmosphere, Zion I, Hollow Tip, Blackalicious and People Under The Stairs. These artists were NEVER available to me on the east coast in the mid-atlantic area. I had never even heard of these artists and, as a DJ, I practically lived in record stores at the time. Without downloading, I may not know who they are even today. I went on to purchase ENTIRE discographies from all of those artists listed above (with the exception of Hollow -- not all of them were winners lol). Sometimes downloading is an excellent way to get a hold of music that would be otherwise unavailable to you...

5) The old model toils in obsolescense. Labels need to get up to speed...the fans have made their feelings known. They can accomodate or continue to lose out.

6) There are going to be people (like Wanduras) that are going to download regardless of circumstances. These people aren't new. They've always been around. The only change is in the terminology. Now they're called downloaders...in the 90's, they were called bootleggers.

I could be wrong, but this is how I see things...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 3:09 pm

Norf and Kid Joe have this discussion on lock. I'm glad that you mentioned Bootleggers, Norf, that is a good point. And just so everything is clear, from 13-21, I was at Best Buy on almost every single Tuesday and spent 10's of thousands of dollars on tapes and Cds "supporting Hip Hop" because I had the expendable income to do so. Now that I have different priorities, I cannot spend that kind of money on music anymore but I still go to shows and buy T-Shirts and shit like that. Yes, I download the shit out of music, and yes it is 100% thievery, but as I said before, I will continue to do it until I can once again blow my money on music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 3:18 pm

My big years for supporting hip-hop were age 2-6... I had 100,000s of thousands to spare during those years which I routinely used to support hip-hop.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Wed 08 Dec 2010, 4:46 pm

Douche...
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Thu 09 Dec 2010, 12:01 am

LAME excuse Cory...throw all your "wack" shit in a box and have a damn garage sale or say hello to e-bay, you'll make a little of it back either way man...and you can use that money to further support the culture...

In Canada us costs like 20 to get good hip hop albums. That's a decent amount when you have 500 plus CDs and 200 of them you wish you would have just downloaded and deleted
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Thu 09 Dec 2010, 9:53 am

Norfeest wrote:

1) You can download and still support rap music. If I download Joe Blow's album (download) and I really like it, then I will purchase (support) said album from Joe Blow. The two are not mutually exclusive.

2) I download a ton, but I also purchase a ton. Without the downloading, those purchases don't get made because, as KJ pointed out, no one wants to get burned by wackness anymore. I've been burned enough to know that a test drive is necessary...especially with the dip in quality; as Powell pointed out.

3) Even before downloading, unless you were routinely gold or platinum, you made most of your money on the road doin' shows. That's the case moreso today. Unless you're selling your shit directly through paypal or hand to hand or out of your trunk, downloading doesn't hurt you as much as it hurts the labels who can't recoup on their investment.

4) Downloading opened me up to different regions of music. Midwest, Canadian and West Coast underground music (mostly west coast and Canadian). Back when downloading first became available to me, the very first artists I downloaded were Planet Asia, Atmosphere, Zion I, Hollow Tip, Blackalicious and People Under The Stairs. These artists were NEVER available to me on the east coast in the mid-atlantic area. I had never even heard of these artists and, as a DJ, I practically lived in record stores at the time. Without downloading, I may not know who they are even today. I went on to purchase ENTIRE discographies from all of those artists listed above (with the exception of Hollow -- not all of them were winners lol). Sometimes downloading is an excellent way to get a hold of music that would be otherwise unavailable to you...

5) The old model toils in obsolescense. Labels need to get up to speed...the fans have made their feelings known. They can accomodate or continue to lose out.

6) There are going to be people (like Wanduras) that are going to download regardless of circumstances. These people aren't new. They've always been around. The only change is in the terminology. Now they're called downloaders...in the 90's, they were called bootleggers.

Good stuff Norf and actually you're a downloader whom I know fully supports the culture man...so the things I've written aren't actually pertaining to people like you or Kid Joe...because I know you guys fully support the culture....this is more to those "other" heads out there man and you guys should know who I'm talking about...lol

as for the "bootleggers".....you're right man...those guys stole too on a much smaller scale though....the bootleggers numbers could never approach the numbers of what's going on now, but stealing is stealing so I agree with you there and I never purchased from them either....but overall you have some great points Norf!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Thu 09 Dec 2010, 9:57 am

Kid Joe wrote:
You also don't listen to nearly as much SLAINE as the rest of us, Powell.

CO-SIGNAGE!

you are right on point as usual lil joe....I don't...there's no need to hide this fact mane!
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Thu 09 Dec 2010, 11:56 am

Norfeest wrote:

I cosign 100%, especially item #3, which I said in an earlier post, but nobody seemed to agree.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Thu 09 Dec 2010, 12:00 pm

Do you think that there is a significant difference between downloading for your personal collection and downloading/burning & selling on the street.

To me, this is also the difference between a downloader and a bootlegger.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Thu 09 Dec 2010, 12:14 pm

The only difference there is that when a bootlegger does it he gets money, when a downloader does it someone else gets money whether it be the hosting site, blog with ads, etc. No difference at all, end effect is the same.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Thu 09 Dec 2010, 4:30 pm

Bootlegging is the same in theory. I think what kept bootlegging from being as big as downloading is the fact that the bootleg man still charged you $5 for whatever you wanted to hear. You also took the chance of the quality being poor. Downloading is 100% free, so more people do it for that reason.

There were just as many (if not more) people dubbing tapes back then as well. If you have so much as dubbed a tape, you've stolen music.

I bought one bootleg tape (De La Soul Is Dead) and the quality was so poor that I never did it again...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   Thu 09 Dec 2010, 5:55 pm

I use to buy bootlog tapes a lot from the Chinese at the L station. The sound quality would almost always be kinda of lower than average. But tolerable. Some would have side 1 but it will be side 2 songs and vice versa. Some only played on one speaker...lol. But we still fucked with these folks, had to have that music...lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Downloading   

Back to top Go down

Downloading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: