Share | 

Your definitive top 20 for 2010.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?

PostSubject: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Sun 02 Jan 2011, 12:28 pm

Ok, I think now is as good a time as any to do this. I think we should do a top 20. I've got mine ready to go, minus the Celph Titled joint that i ordered but haven't recieved yet so alot of these albums may drop a spot in the next week or so.

TOP 20:

1. Kanye West "MBDTF"-Went way further than meeting my expectations. May fall a spot though. See #3.

2. Brotha Lynch Hung "DAAM"-Still holding strong. Nice comeback. Can't wait for "Coat Hanga Strangla".

3. The Left "Gas Mask"-Didn't want to rate this one too high since it's fairly new. But i'ts probably going to be #1 soon. Not one bad track on the album IMO. It's having the same impact that Diamond District had on my rankings in late 09.

4. The Roots "How I Got Over"-Great effort. Still loving it.

5. Freeway/Jake One "Stimulus Package"-What i thought was a weird collab turned into an excellent album. Still spin it regularly.

6. Eminem "Recovery"-I know alot of people didn't like this, but i love it. Lyrically Em is back and i didn't hate the production like many did.

7. Vinnie Paz "Season Of The Assasin"-One of the best produced albums of the year.

8. Muggs/Ill Bill "Kill Devil Hills"-Not the album of the year that i was hoping for but still really good. Probably my 2nd fav. Muggs vs. album.

9. Nas/Marley "Distant Relatives"-Great album but it has fallen a bit.

10. Currensy "Pilot Talk 2"-Love the production here, and Currensy just has a smooth flow. Probably my surprise Mc of the year.

11. Freddie Gibbs "Str8 Killa"-Would definitely be rated higher if it had more than 8 tracks. Dope!

12. Big Boi "Sir Lucious Left Foot"-Really good but a few tracks i'm not feelin drop this out of the top 10.

13. Strong Arm Steady "Stoney Jackson"-My first purchase of 2010. Still holding strong. Hope they release another one soon.

14. Statik Selektah/Term "1982"-Dope but not as good as i wanted.

15. Currensy "Pilot Talk 1"-see comments for Pilot Talk 2.

16. Yu "Before Taxes"-Nice follow up to the Diamond District album.

17. Ghost, Meth, Rae "Wu Massacre"-Sounds much better now than it did when it came out. Expectations were too high.

18. EuloRhythmics "Green Street & Avers"-Good album from a dope group nobody talks about.

19. Cognito "Automatic"-Production makes the album more than Cognito, dope nonetheless.

20. Bone Thugs "Uni5"-Disappointing for me, but not bad.

Albums i still haven't heard that i want to:

Celph/Buckwild "1990 Now"-On it's way in the mail.
Q-Unique
Kno
Apollo Brown "The Reset"
Alchemist/Oh No
Ghostface
Yelawolf
Statik "100 Proof"
Super Chron
Blacastan
Roc Marciano
K-Rino
Panacea
60 Second Assasin

I know a few of them would be ranked in the top 20 somewhere but i don't know when or if i'll ever get to them all.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 3:46 am

I'm going to have to think about this and come back to it. All I know for certain is Vinnie Paz 'Season of the Assassin' is number 1. I'll probably give Kanye the 2nd spot, and The Roots 3rd.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 5:30 am

1- Super Chron Flight Bros: Cape Verde...my favorite album since 2007...I can't say I was a fan before I heard this

2- Celph Titled: 199Now...flawless in every way

3- K-Rino: AOTEM...the most consistant double LP I've heard, the most consistant K-Rino LP I've heard

4- Killah Priest: 3 Day Theory...Raw Priest, production is livlier than usual but still so dark

5- Slaine: Devil Never Dies...another success from Slaine, I need to get my hands on the rest of his work this year

6- 60 Sec Assassin: Remarkable Timing...probably my most listened to album this year, Bronze's best work hands down, in running for year's best produced

7- AOTP: Unholy Terror...essentially a perfect album, it somehow lacks replay draw, it just doesn't pop in any specific way

8- Robinson & Parker: International Summer...this is too low on this list somehow, I wouldn't change anythin above it though

9- 9th Prince: Revenge of the...this album is bad ass, also in the running for best produced, set to rise in rank if I had to bet

10- Eso & 7L: 1212...more creative than I expected, most of it works a couple tracks don't, would've been top 3 last year easy

11- Maxilla Blue: Vol 2...haven't really listened enough, it's dope, I could get sick of it I could get hooked

12- Ill Bill & Muggs...it's gotten better for me, but I still think it lacks structure and they don't sound on the same page for a lot of it

13- Ras Kass: ADIDAS...I feel for anyone that got jacked, but this album is great, a lot of great tracks, more than a few bland spots, but nothing terrible

14- Ghostface: Apollo Kids...it took him 4 years to get his dope up, worth the wait, also set to rise

15- Blu: GodleebarnesLP...great beats, great rhymes, also lacks structure, maybe not fair here since I still have a shitty sounding bootleg rip

15- MF Grimm: You Only Live Twice...the variety on this album is impressive alone, but it's all pretty well done and married up nicely, this at 15 says it all about 2010

16- LCOB: Zeitgiest...I favor this type of hip-hop, but this album is stock beats for the subgenre and the emcees are far from astounding, the subject matter is where it's at

17- Snowgoons: Kraftwerk...these guys seriously need to team up with an underground champ for a full length, they are wasting these beats

18- Kno: Death Is Silent...technically great, excellent production, adequate rhymes, engaging theme...somehow boring

19- Nappy Roots: Nappy University, Vol 1...party tracks and soul tracks, as a mixtape it doesn't suffer from being over-thought like their last two studio albums seem to have been, just good ol Nappy Roots

20- Moe Pope: Life After God...a bit too jazz-based for me these days, that's really the only reason it's so low, I just haven't been in this mood lately, otherwise this is really quite amazing...he out-Shad'ed Shad this year.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Tue 04 Jan 2011, 10:50 am

1. DJ Premier - Get Used to Us
2. Vinny Paz - Season of the Assasin
3. Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives
4. Black Sheep - From the Black Pool of Genius
5. Ghostface Killah - Apolo Kids
6. Meth Ghost & Rae - Wu Massacre
7. Freeway & Jake One - The Stimulus Package
8. KRS One - Meta Historical
9. Statik Selektah - 100 Proof
10. Reflection Eternal - Revolutions per Minute
11. Canibus - C of Tranquility
12. Cypress Hill - Rise Up
13. Eminem - Recovery
14. Inspectah Deck - Manifesto
15. Marco Polo & Ruste Juxx - The Exxecution
16. MF Grimm - You Only Live Twice
17. 9th & Murs - Fornever
18. KRS One - Back to the L.A. B.
19. Nappy Roots - Pursuit of Nappyness
20. Skyzoo & Illmind - LFTTT

Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 05 Jan 2011, 7:01 pm

parker lewis wrote:
1- Super Chron Flight Bros: Cape Verde...my favorite album since 2007...I can't say I was a fan before I heard this

2- Celph Titled: 199Now...flawless in every way

3- K-Rino: AOTEM...the most consistant double LP I've heard, the most consistant K-Rino LP I've heard

4- Killah Priest: 3 Day Theory...Raw Priest, production is livlier than usual but still so dark

5- Slaine: Devil Never Dies...another success from Slaine, I need to get my hands on the rest of his work this year

6- 60 Sec Assassin: Remarkable Timing...probably my most listened to album this year, Bronze's best work hands down, in running for year's best produced

7- AOTP: Unholy Terror...essentially a perfect album, it somehow lacks replay draw, it just doesn't pop in any specific way

8- Robinson & Parker: International Summer...this is too low on this list somehow, I wouldn't change anythin above it though

9- 9th Prince: Revenge of the...this album is bad ass, also in the running for best produced, set to rise in rank if I had to bet

10- Eso & 7L: 1212...more creative than I expected, most of it works a couple tracks don't, would've been top 3 last year easy

11- Maxilla Blue: Vol 2...haven't really listened enough, it's dope, I could get sick of it I could get hooked

12- Ill Bill & Muggs...it's gotten better for me, but I still think it lacks structure and they don't sound on the same page for a lot of it

13- Ras Kass: ADIDAS...I feel for anyone that got jacked, but this album is great, a lot of great tracks, more than a few bland spots, but nothing terrible

14- Ghostface: Apollo Kids...it took him 4 years to get his dope up, worth the wait, also set to rise

15- Blu: GodleebarnesLP...great beats, great rhymes, also lacks structure, maybe not fair here since I still have a shitty sounding bootleg rip

15- MF Grimm: You Only Live Twice...the variety on this album is impressive alone, but it's all pretty well done and married up nicely, this at 15 says it all about 2010

16- LCOB: Zeitgiest...I favor this type of hip-hop, but this album is stock beats for the subgenre and the emcees are far from astounding, the subject matter is where it's at

17- Snowgoons: Kraftwerk...these guys seriously need to team up with an underground champ for a full length, they are wasting these beats

18- Kno: Death Is Silent...technically great, excellent production, adequate rhymes, engaging theme...somehow boring

19- Nappy Roots: Nappy University, Vol 1...party tracks and soul tracks, as a mixtape it doesn't suffer from being over-thought like their last two studio albums seem to have been, just good ol Nappy Roots

20- Moe Pope: Life After God...a bit too jazz-based for me these days, that's really the only reason it's so low, I just haven't been in this mood lately, otherwise this is really quite amazing...he out-Shad'ed Shad this year.

Parker, that 9th Prince has thunderous production, prolly the best produced WU album since Cappa's The Pillage. But I think Imma knock this album down due to his lyrics not being that good. Like that Love/Hate song. He couldve really dropped something monumental if his vocal game was up to par. I like his vioce and flow, he reminds me of a villian in professional wrestling but Rza should have coached him on being a better lyricist . Daam, why can't Inspectah Deck get production like this? Manifesto was hampered by sub-par beats
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 05 Jan 2011, 7:41 pm

ill post my 20 soon just digesting some shit i just got/missed before
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Fri 07 Jan 2011, 4:18 pm

1. Uni5 (Bone)- complete album. dope flow and trk order. dope beats and rhymes. I skip only the interludes.

2. Distant Relatives (Nas & Dam)- Reggae & hip-hop well blended. Luv the subject matter and the overall vibe of the album.

3. Annihilation of the Evil Machine (K-Rino)- could easily be number one. One of the best double cd's ever. I luv the substance and subject matter on this one. Even the beats are str8. And I like how he spread out the guest appearances.

4. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (K. West)- this one is just like the Bone album to me. It is an album, the blueprint to how an album should have a vibe and the trks should flow well. Ye while not as lyrical as his earlier efforts is just as witty and dope as ever. And the beats, hooks, and guest all just make this one a nbear classic.

5. Recovery (Em)- Lyrical, lyrical lyrical. It has the beats, subject matter, and his flow is unreal on it. I do skip about 2-3 trks on it though.

6. Dinner & A Movie (Bro Lynch Hung)- Another well themed album. Dope concept album. And the production is crazy.

7. 100 Proof: The Hangover (Statik Selektah)- Real good comp album. Stat did good with the guest he choose. Nice mix of styles.

8. How I Got Over (The Roots)- This one has just recntly moved up my list. I wasn't really feeling it because all the guest through me off I guess. But it keeps getting better with every spin.

9. Pursuit of Nappyness (Nappy Roots)- I'm not a 100% sure about this one or the next pick. But as of now it's in. This one has a nice mix of substance and fun. And the beats are all good.

10. Nineteen Ninety Now (Celph)- this one has moved up recently. Just like the Bone and Kanye albums I like the theme of the album or vibe if you will.

11. Big Boi- Left Foot
12. Yelawolf- Trunk Muzik
13. Cypress Hill- Rise Up
14. Rick Ross- Teflon Don
15. T.I.- No Mercy
16. KRS-One- Metahistorical
17. Mikkey Halsted- The Dark Room
18. Skyzoo- Live Tape Deck
19. The Left- Gas Mask
20. Curren$y- Pilot Talk

Last edited by TicNitty706 on Thu 20 Jan 2011, 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Fri 07 Jan 2011, 4:51 pm

Kev, get that TI "No Mercy" out of here dude...lol It's Amazing, So Amazing...lol
I'll be back for my Top 20
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Fri 07 Jan 2011, 4:53 pm

Highsmith wrote:
Kev, get that TI "No Mercy" out of here dude...lol It's Amazing, So Amazing...lol
I'll be back for my Top 20

No get that Kid Cudi Juice outta here!!!...............LOL.

Willie D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Fri 07 Jan 2011, 5:32 pm

Man On The Moon 2 > No Mercy Kev....lol
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 12:07 am

Out of all the albums mentioned I have heard maybe 5. I guess that's what happens when you spend a year without internet
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 12:34 am

That Bone album has lost replay value for me except for the song Rebirth. It's not a bad album but nowhere near AOTY IMO.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 1:00 am

KJE's Top 20 of 2010 (subject to change in due time, but this is it as of right now)

1. Big Boi- Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son Of Chico Dusty
2. Nas & Damian Marley- Distant Relatives
3. The Roots- How I Got Over
4. Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
5. Freeway & Jake One- The Stimulus Package
6. Ghostface Killah- Apollo Kids
7. Brother Lynch Hung- Dinner & A Movie
8. Celph Titled- NineteenNinetyNow
9. Eminem- Recovery
10. Skyzoo & Illmind- Live From The Tape Deck
11. Black Sheep- From The Black Pool Of Genius
12. Statik Selektah- 100 Proof
13. PackFM- I Fuckin Hate Rappers
14. Meth, Rae & Ghost- Wu-Massacre
15. Talib Kweli & Hi Tek- Revolutions Per Minute
16. Vinnie Paz- Season Of The Assassin
17. Bone Thugs N Harmony- Uni5: The World's Enemy
18. Inspectah Deck- The Manifesto
19. Strong Arm Steady- In Search Of Stoney Jackson
20. Cypress Hill- Rise Up

Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 1:36 am

1. Vinnie Paz- Season Of The Assassin (Good lord this album is fire. Ain't Shit Changed, Keepin' Moving On and Same Story are 5 star tracks to these ears.)

2. The Roots- How I Got Over (So many standout tracks...Right On and the Fire are top 10 2010 songs easily for me)

3. Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Musical galore, I love it. Blame Game and Gorgeous are the top tracks)

4. David Banner & 9th Wonder (Woah! I knew this album was going to be solid, but it blew away my expectation and then some. David Banner sounds so at ease on a 9th beat, I like this combo a lot more than Murs and 9th. If you are thinking about copping this, make sure you cop the Best Buy version, 3 extra songs, and one of them, Hip Hop, is fire! Song of the year for me, I love bumping hip hop dedication songs, and this one is really fucking dope.)

5. Kid Cudi- Man On the Moon 2 (Album is really growing on me, and although it doesn't have as many standout the track as the first one, it's more cohesive. There are no wack tracks, and Mojo So Dope is a flamethrower. That song gets at least 10 spins a day. Another musical galore, Kid Cudi knows how to make great songs, even if his rapping skills are just decent.)

6. Collective Efforts- Freezing (Only own this for a couple days now, but I can see this moving up my list, it's that fucking dope. Productions are here is top notch, and these guys can really flow. Their sound resemble a combination of The Roots and Jurassic 5, I can't see how cats like Powell and KJ won't dig this. See What You Find and the Dream are the standouts.)

I'll add 7-10 at a later time. I still need to digest all the albums I copped this year. Those top 6 are the clear standouts for me.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 4:04 am

KJ, have you heard 1982?

[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 12:52 pm

Shaun wrote:
KJ, have you heard 1982?

I haven't but I've heard good things about it. Is it as good or better than 100 Proof?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 1:00 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Shaun wrote:
KJ, have you heard 1982?

I haven't but I've heard good things about it. Is it as good or better than 100 Proof?

I prefer 1982 more, but i think most people prefer 100 Proof

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 5:58 pm

1982 has a skip track or two to me, so 100 Proof is the better album IMO. If you're a fan of Statik Selektah, though, you'll love 1982.

[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 6:54 pm

I already answered this question in the official 2010 albums discussion thread...if you even care about my list it's in there

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 7:19 pm

Jack of Spades wrote:
1. DJ Premier - Get Used to Us
2. Vinny Paz - Season of the Assasin
3. Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives
4. Black Sheep - From the Black Pool of Genius
5. Ghostface Killah - Apolo Kids
6. Meth Ghost & Rae - Wu Massacre
7. Freeway & Jake One - The Stimulus Package
8. Killah Priest - 3 Day Theory
9. KRS One - Meta Historical
10. Term & Statik - 1982
11. Statik Selektah - 100 Proof
12. Reflection Eternal - Revolutions per Minute
13. Canibus - C of Tranquility
14. Cypress Hill - Rise Up
15. Eminem - Recovery
16. Inspectah Deck - Manifesto
17. Marco Polo & Ruste Juxx - The Exxecution
18. MF Grimm - You Only Live Twice
19. 9th & Murs - Fornever
20. KRS One - Back to the L.A. B. EP

Made some changes.
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Thu 20 Jan 2011, 11:28 am

After thinking for a while....

1. Kno-Death is Silent
2. Big K.R.I.T.- K.R.I.T. Wuz Here
3. Kanye West- MBDTF
4. Freeway and Jake One- Stimulus Package
5. The Roots- How I Got Over
6. Curren$y- Pilot Talk
7. Curren$y- Pilot Talk II
8. The Left- Gas Mask
9. Big Boi- Sir Lucious Left Foot
10. Strong Arm Steady- In Search of Stoney Jackson
11. Deacon the Villain and Sheisty Khrist- N.W.L.
12. Celph Titled and Buckwild- 1990 Now
13. David Banner and 9th Wonder- Death of a Pop Star
14. Guilty Simpson- OJ Simpson
15. Freddie Gibbs- Str8 Killa
16. Nottz- You Need This Music
17. Pack FM- I Fucking Hate Rappers

Still haven't heard Ghostface, 1982, 100 Proof and some others....
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   Thu 20 Jan 2011, 2:28 pm

1. Kendrick Lamar - Overly Dedicated
2. Ghostface Killah - Apollo Kids
3. The Roots - How I Got Over
4. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
5. K-Rino - Annihilation of the Evil Machine
6. NaS & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives
7. Reflection Eternal - Revolutions Per Minute
8. Celph Titled & Buckwild - Nineteen Ninety Now
9. Lloyd Banks - Hunger For More 2
10 Eminem - Recovery
11. 7L & Esoteric - 1212
12. David Banner & 9th Wonder - Death of a Pop Star
13. Curren$y - Pilot Talk II
14. Statik Selektah & Termanology - 1982
15. Curren$y - Pilot Talk
16. Brotha Lynch Hung - Dinner & a Movie
17. Roc Marciano - Marcberg
18. Black Milk - Album of the Year
19. Statik Selektah - 100 Proof (The Hangover)
20. Redman - Reggie
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your definitive top 20 for 2010.   

Back to top Go down

Your definitive top 20 for 2010.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1