Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No longer very impressed by illmatic

Go down 
+11
Wayne
Highsmith
Dang! Trotter
Shaun
parker lewis
KJ Styles
T. Myers
Tic706
Esco
Cory
AndrewK
15 posters
AuthorMessage
AndrewK
Half Dolla
Half Dolla

No longer very impressed by illmatic Empty
PostSubject: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeWed 12 Jan 2011, 9:51 pm

I used to think illmatic was the GOAT...but the more music I listen to, the less I find myself enthused by it. It's a great album, but in my opinion everything Nas did on illmatic Big L did better on Lifestylez...
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Cory

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeWed 12 Jan 2011, 10:23 pm

Co sign while illmatic Is still top 20 I found the more music I uncovered I found myself like illmatic less
Back to top Go down
AndrewK
Half Dolla
Half Dolla

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeWed 12 Jan 2011, 10:33 pm

Maybe I just wore myself out when I used to listen to it all the time, but it lacks flare now. It doesn't have an edge. It's just...dope rapping, but so plain somehow.
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 1:22 am

I mean, after listening to something over and over its gonna get bland, not matter how dope it is. Happens with everything. I put songs and cd's aside after burning myself out with listening to it. Come back like 2 months later and listen again, and it sounds better.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 9:01 am

While Illmatic is one of the best albums ever it is also very overrated. And if you played it a lot of course it will lose its sting. So like Cory said stop listening to it and I say for a year or so if you can. Then you will get an urge for it again.

I never listen to the same album over and over in a short period of time. I have a lifetime hopefully to enjoy my collection. No rush.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 11:42 am

We are not allowed to speak negatively about Illmatic on this forum.

No longer very impressed by illmatic 365284
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 1:00 pm

T. Myers wrote:
We are not allowed to speak negatively about Illmatic on this forum.

No longer very impressed by illmatic 365284

Co-Sign!!! And who the fuck is AndrewK anyway!!!

Illmatic is a timeless classic. Anybody who ain't feelin it is truly not a hip-hop fan. While I like Big L, Nas is vastly superior to him on the mic, and Illmatic's production also blows Lifestylez dated production out of the water. Comparing Lifestylez to Illmatic is like comparing a McDonald's burger to a Porterhouse Steak.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 2:30 pm

Good idea, KJ. I've been thinking there's too many participants around here. A little intolerance ought to keep anyone from getting comfortable.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 2:38 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 4:56 pm

Andrew K is an Amazon OG, KJ.
Back to top Go down
AndrewK
Half Dolla
Half Dolla

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 5:17 pm

Thanks for recognizin, shaun.

KJ -
I feel where you're coming from. i was at that stage once too. Now I just think it's too plain...and it's not like I'm just recently tired of it from playing it so much. I haven't really had the urge to spin it in over a year now.
the more music I listen to, the more I crave hip hop that is "out there". Give me Aceyalone, give me Big L, early Eminem, Ray Luv, Del, liquid swords, FREESTYLE FELLOWSHIP, the jack artist, etc etc etc. I really respect what Nas did for the rap game with illmatic, by really revolutionizing the flow, but I just don't have the taste for it that I used to.

oh yeah, and...

Quote :
Anybody who ain't feelin it is truly not a hip-hop fan.

Ouch! Come on man, low blow. Before my comp crashed I had over 17k hip hop tracks...I think i know a lil summin summin!
Back to top Go down
AndrewK
Half Dolla
Half Dolla

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 5:26 pm

Yo what are these "who got the props" and reps joints?
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 6:02 pm

Everything loses flare with time. As a kid I didn't jump for joy over Illmatic like I did 36 Chambers or even DoggyStyle. I actually thought OC Word..Life was better. But for me Illmatic actually got better with time.
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Cory

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 9:39 pm

Think what I think or your opinions are not valid. Right kj
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011, 9:49 pm

AndrewK wrote:
Thanks for recognizin, shaun.

KJ -
I feel where you're coming from. i was at that stage once too. Now I just think it's too plain...and it's not like I'm just recently tired of it from playing it so much. I haven't really had the urge to spin it in over a year now.
the more music I listen to, the more I crave hip hop that is "out there". Give me Aceyalone, give me Big L, early Eminem, Ray Luv, Del, liquid swords, FREESTYLE FELLOWSHIP, the jack artist, etc etc etc. I really respect what Nas did for the rap game with illmatic, by really revolutionizing the flow, but I just don't have the taste for it that I used to.

oh yeah, and...

Quote :
Anybody who ain't feelin it is truly not a hip-hop fan.

Ouch! Come on man, low blow. Before my comp crashed I had over 17k hip hop tracks...I think i know a lil summin summin!

I feel what you're saying Andrew. I'm a Nas stan but that's besides the point. A great album is a great album. You obviously love Illmatic otherwise you wouldn't have been spinning it for as long as you have. Like others in the thread have said, you'll likely be craving it again at some point if you don't spin it for a while. Wearing something out doesn't decrease it's dopeness though.

It's just like if you eat fried chicken every night, eventually you'll get tired of it and want steak, pizza, burgers, seafood, italian, mexican, etc. But eventually you'll crave fried chicken again because it's awesome. Ya feel me playa?
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 10:44 pm

I don't think Illmatic could ever wear out its welcome to me. I think most of us have enough music to listen to where we don't have to constantly play something again and again and again. I can understand what Andrew is saying. I just don't think that it would apply to me.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 10:57 pm

Highsmith wrote:
I don't think Illmatic could ever wear out its welcome to me. I think most of us have enough music to listen to where we don't have to constantly play something again and again and again. I can understand what Andrew is saying. I just don't think that it would apply to me.

Real Talk! Illmatic is my GOAT so I'll never get tired of it.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan 2011, 3:10 pm

Well, my opinions on Illmatic will always remain the same (my favorite album of all time, the greatest album of all time, etc), however, respectively, I don't agree with the Big L comment, regarding he did things better. Not seeing that one.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan 2011, 9:45 pm

I'm kind of going through a similar phase right now, but I have a feeling one of these days I'll hear a track from Illmatic somewhere and get back into the album all over again.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan 2011, 11:11 pm

Illmatic, to me, is one of those albums that I respect and recognize for its greatness but I also don't enjoy it as much as It Was Written...or a shit load of other albums. It all depends on what you're talking about, I guess. Is Illmatic one of the GOAT albums? Yes. Is it one of my favorite albums? No.
Back to top Go down
AndrewK
Half Dolla
Half Dolla

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan 2011, 11:18 pm

^^U got it Wand. Hook ya boi up with a beat lol!
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 4:40 pm

Yo AK, the last beat I posted (Life Of Ours) in The Studio section is up for grabs if you wanna do something with it. You have to post what you create, tho. And give me a shoutout on the track, lol.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 5:01 pm

Wayne wrote:
Well, my opinions on Illmatic will always remain the same (my favorite album of all time, the greatest album of all time, etc), however, respectively, I don't agree with the Big L comment, regarding he did things better. Not seeing that one.

Co-Sign
Back to top Go down
chingy > nas
Half Dolla
Half Dolla
chingy > nas

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 5:49 pm

illmatic is one of the most boring cds ever
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 6:14 pm

chingy > nas wrote:
I'm one of the dumbest motherfuckers ever

I knew that from day one man, thanks for finally being honest with yourself though.
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 7:19 am

Illmatic is in my all-time top ten, everytime I listen to it - even nowadays - I enjoy every second I hear. This is one of the few perfect albums that I've ever heard in my lifetime, still a classic. I never heard again a production like this. I never listened to it over and over again, I never wanted to burn it too easily. I can't guess why Nas was never capable of repeating a classic like this.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 6:12 pm

mistadave wrote:
Illmatic is in my all-time top ten, everytime I listen to it - even nowadays - I enjoy every second I hear. This is one of the few perfect albums that I've ever heard in my lifetime, still a classic. I never heard again a production like this. I never listened to it over and over again, I never wanted to burn it too easily. I can't guess why Nas was never capable of repeating a classic like this.

It's my all time favorite album. Personally I feel Nas has released 3 other classics but I agree with everything else that you said. Illmatic is hip-hop's Thriller IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No longer very impressed by illmatic   No longer very impressed by illmatic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No longer very impressed by illmatic
Page 1 of 1