Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…

Go down 
+9
Highsmith
Shaun
KJ Styles
T. Myers
D.Powell
Laced With Slang
Myestro
Alan
Tic706
13 posters

It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…
It Takes A Nation
Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Vote_lcap67%Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Vote_rcap
 67% [ 10 ]
Great Adventures Of…
Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Vote_lcap33%Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Vote_rcap
 33% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Empty
PostSubject: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 1:05 pm

Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Public_enemy_-_it_takes_a_nation_of_millions_to_hold_us-back-front

vs.

Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… 511TD4NVK1L._SS500_
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 1:08 pm

Great Adventures Of....
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 1:21 pm

PE for sure
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 1:31 pm

Pretty much a coin-flip for me. I'll go with Public Enemy, in a close one.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 1:36 pm

Slick Rick the Ruler
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 3:03 pm

Nations
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 3:20 pm

Slick Rick and it really wasn't a hard decision for me. Slick Rick's album has gotten way more spins from me.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 4:29 pm

It Takes A Nation Of Millions to Hold Us Back
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 6:45 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Public Enemy and it really wasn't a hard decision for me. PE's album has gotten way more spins from me.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 10:18 pm

PE for me in a close one...
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 10:23 pm

This PE album as a whole has to be one of the most overrated albums period.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 11:16 pm

Nation
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 11:56 pm

This BDK album (A Taste Of Chocolate) as a whole has to be one of the most overrated albums period.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 12:34 am

lol. No it isn't. Only by KRob
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 12:51 am

TicNitty706 wrote:
The Great Adventures Of....
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 6:17 am

Nation!
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 1:23 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:

I don't see how someone who is as pro-black as you are wouldn't hold this album in high regard given it's subject matter. It has tons of classic songs, and nothing skipworthy. It's easily one of the best ever.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

I don't see how someone who is as pro-black as you are wouldn't hold this album in high regard given it's subject matter. It has tons of classic songs, and nothing skipworthy. It's easily one of the best ever.

It has some classic songs no doubt. I'm just speaking on it as a whole. It does not move me like that, it sounds dated and I have heard way better "pro black" albums since then. Not knocking its classic status it just gets a tad to overrated like most good-great albums at times.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 2:07 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

It has some classic songs no doubt. I'm just speaking on it as a whole. It does not move me like that, it sounds dated and I have heard way better "pro black" albums since then. Not knocking its classic status it just gets a tad to overrated like most good-great albums at times.

I disagree, I haven't heard a pro-black album that even comes close to Nations. Nor does it sound dated to me. Whenever I hear Bring Tha Noise, Rebel Without A Pause, Black Steel, Night of The Living Baseheads, or Don't Believe the Hype on the radio I turn the volume all the way up. Nostalgia also plays a factor in why I love this album so much because I fell in love with it immediately, but there's some other artists that I didn't grow up with (Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind, and Fire for example) that I've grown to love as well. Only 3 albums in hip-hop history rank as highly with me as Nations, personally. While I can see why someone wouldn't like it as much as I do, I don't think overrated is the right term to describe it because it fully deserves it's accolades.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 2:30 pm

It Takes A Nation wins this one.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 2:54 pm

Highsmith wrote:
This BDK album (A Taste Of Chocolate) as a whole has to be one of the most overrated albums period.

That album was horrible, and the inside cover looks too gay.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 2:55 pm

Jack of Spades wrote:
Highsmith wrote:

That album was horrible, and the inside cover looks too gay.

Taste of Chocolate had a few, A FEW (lol) good songs on it, but it's certainly not essential material.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 4:07 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

I disagree, I haven't heard a pro-black album that even comes close to Nations. Nor does it sound dated to me. Whenever I hear Bring Tha Noise, Rebel Without A Pause, Black Steel, Night of The Living Baseheads, or Don't Believe the Hype on the radio I turn the volume all the way up. Nostalgia also plays a factor in why I love this album so much because I fell in love with it immediately, but there's some other artists that I didn't grow up with (Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind, and Fire for example) that I've grown to love as well. Only 3 albums in hip-hop history rank as highly with me as Nations, personally. While I can see why someone wouldn't like it as much as I do, I don't think overrated is the right term to describe it because it fully deserves it's accolades.

Me too, thats why I said it has plenty of classic songs. But lets not front like some of those other tracks were anywhere near the level of those. I respect this album means a lot to you and other just not to me. Give me those trks you mentioned and a couple more off it and i'm str8.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 6:49 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

Me too, thats why I said it has plenty of classic songs. But lets not front like some of those other tracks were anywhere near the level of those. I respect this album means a lot to you and other just not to me. Give me those trks you mentioned and a couple more off it and i'm str8.

Basically, the same could be said about the Slick Rick album.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

Alan wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

Basically, the same could be said about the Slick Rick album.

I like both of those albums better than Straight Outta Compton (which both of you have at the top spot) although I hold SOC in very high regard as well. I'd say Somethin 2 Dance 2 is easily the worst song on any of the three albums. Pretty much what you said about Nations and Pounds said about Great Adventures is how I feel about SOC. It's a classic album without a doubt, but Nations and Great Adventures have more 5 star songs IMO.

Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 7:15 pm

Yes. The statement could be made about pretty much any album.

I voted DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince ahead of PE. So I'm used to people not agreeing with me....lol.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 7:16 pm

Alan wrote:

I voted DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince ahead of PE. So I'm used to people not agreeing with me....lol.

Now that shit is INSANE, but I see the point you're making.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 8:04 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:

Now that shit is INSANE, but I see the point you're making.

In many respects I kind of agree with what Kev is saying in general. I just can't in good conscience say that about PE's magnum opus. That shit may be INSANE to some people, but the DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince gets WAY more spins than the PE in my ride/home and that's why I picked it. The production is the core reason for this. I can listen to Jeff's beats for days. I can't say that about The Bomb Squad. Great beats indeed, but not totally addictive production like Jeff's (IMO...once again).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…   Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of… Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Album 1988 Finals: It Takes A Nation vs. Great Adventures Of…
Page 1 of 1