Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Method Man vs. Eminem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Method Man vs. Eminem
Meth
25%
 25% [ 3 ]
Em
75%
 75% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12
 

AuthorMessage
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 820
Join date : 2010-01-09
Age : 44
Location : Hartford

PostSubject: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 11:21 am

Who ya got??
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1853
Join date : 2010-07-29
Age : 28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 11:28 am

Em's got Meth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
avatar

Posts : 5489
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 40
Location : Soul Heaven

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 11:31 am

I got Em. But its a close one especially taking into consideration Meth in his prime. On some rapping about rapping shit I think Meth would have had Marshall sweating heavily. Em takes the win mainly because he has more range with his song writing. Meth rarely stirs away from his comfort zone.

_________________
There's A God On The Mic
"Pretty soon hip hop won't be so nice, no Ice Cube...just Vanilla Ice"
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 820
Join date : 2010-01-09
Age : 44
Location : Hartford

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 12:00 pm

Em's got Meth by a hair right now, but if this were 1994, I'd have to say Meth.

Cosign on Em's wider range.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 12:23 pm

I basically agree with kev. Em just does a better job creating hip hop music if that makes any sense. If I was just sitting around with them, I'd prefer to listen meth just spit off the top of his dome. As Powell says, Meth is just a vicious natural spitter

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution


Last edited by T. Myers on Sun 20 Mar 2011, 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 12:24 pm

Jack of Spades wrote:
Em's got Meth by a hair right now, but if this were 1994, I'd have to say Meth.

Cosign on Em's wider range.

If this were 1994, you would't know who Em is.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 12:44 pm

I'd rather listen to Method Man, but I uess Eminem is the more skilled emcee.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
avatar

Posts : 2725
Join date : 2010-10-28
Age : 33
Location : North Chesterfield, VA

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 1:54 pm

Meth in his prime would certainly give Em a run for his money, but overall, I'd go with Em, by a hair.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 820
Join date : 2010-01-09
Age : 44
Location : Hartford

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 2:47 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Jack of Spades wrote:
Em's got Meth by a hair right now, but if this were 1994, I'd have to say Meth.

Cosign on Em's wider range.

If this were 1994, you would't know who Em is.

I meant to say Meth in his prime.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 2:55 pm

Jack of Spades wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Jack of Spades wrote:
Em's got Meth by a hair right now, but if this were 1994, I'd have to say Meth.

Cosign on Em's wider range.

If this were 1994, you would't know who Em is.

I meant to say Meth in his prime.

Lol, yeah I was just giving you shit.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 3:15 pm

I'm going to give it to Meth just because I like him better but Em is winning in terms of his overall catalog and ability to create more memorable material, but when it comes to outright spittin on the mic then Meth takes him IN MY OPINION and I enjoy Meth as an emcee much better than I do Em which is why I'm picking him here.....
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 574
Join date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 4:00 pm

36 chambers and tical I have to give it to meth
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 5:30 pm

Eminem wins this matchup easily IMO. Meth can't see him at all as a solo artist.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Sun 20 Mar 2011, 7:28 pm

D.Powell wrote:
I'm going to give it to Meth just because I like him better but Em is winning in terms of his overall catalog and ability to create more memorable material, but when it comes to outright spittin on the mic then Meth takes him IN MY OPINION and I enjoy Meth as an emcee much better than I do Em which is why I'm picking him here.....

good points. I would say Meth has more memorable material though when it comes to just pure verses and stuff, i always remember Meth's more. Eminem is better overall, its close though.
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A


Posts : 351
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 41
Location : Vicenza (Italy)

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 1:30 pm

I got Em. He remains a hell of a lyricist even if his works are more commercial than his previous efforts, and I think Meth has lost a step from the golden era of the Wu.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2445
Join date : 2011-03-01
Age : 35
Location : Bunnyhead, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:34 pm

Em easily... he gets consideration as one of the goats.. Meth doesn't...
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:45 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Em easily... he gets consideration as one of the goats.. Meth doesn't...

Agreed, the only guys in Wu that are on par with Em are GZA and Ghost.

GZA can match him lyrically, and Ghost can match him discog wise.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
avatar

Posts : 5489
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 40
Location : Soul Heaven

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:07 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Em easily... he gets consideration as one of the goats.. Meth doesn't...

Agreed, the only guys in Wu that are on par with Em are GZA and Ghost.

GZA can match him lyrically, and Ghost can match him discog wise.

I don't think Gza can match Em lyrically but thats just me. And Ghost can match Em more than just discog wise. I'll say delivery, rhyme style, and charisma wise Ghost can match Em pretty well.

_________________
There's A God On The Mic
"Pretty soon hip hop won't be so nice, no Ice Cube...just Vanilla Ice"
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:28 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Em easily... he gets consideration as one of the goats.. Meth doesn't...

Agreed, the only guys in Wu that are on par with Em are GZA and Ghost.

GZA can match him lyrically, and Ghost can match him discog wise.

I don't think Gza can match Em lyrically but thats just me. And Ghost can match Em more than just discog wise. I'll say delivery, rhyme style, and charisma wise Ghost can match Em pretty well.

I'd take Liquid Swords over any Em album personally, and I'd say Grandmasters is better than anything post-MMLP. Line for line GZA is a beast. I agree with most of what you said about Ghost except I like Em's delivery a little better.


Last edited by KJ Styles on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:37 pm

I think Em's flow is incredible but so is Meth's.....the voice is tied as well....lyrically I think Meth is ahead of Eminem there...catalog wise Em is killing Meth...so that's the main reason why I would think that anyone would put Eminem over Meth....the recent things I've heard from Meth which include Wu-Massacre and Blackout 2 showed me that Meth can still spit effectively even if neither one of those efforts are 5 stars.....again IN MY OPINION!

Eminem maybe on more heads GOAT lists but so is Jay-Z or Biggie as an example (both of them are on my GOAT list as well by the way) but that doesn't mean that a bunch of other heads don't have people like Black Thought or Andre 3000 ahead of them, so that argument is null and void IN MY OPINION......shit all of this is opinion based anyway...lol


Last edited by D.Powell on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:47 pm

As others have said on this thread, Meth in the mid-90's would be on par with Em but now he's not even close. The guy just phones it in too often for him to be considered as dope as Em IMO. Lyrically Em is one of the best MC's of all time and even on his phoned in efforts (save for Encore) he still outdoes most MC's, the same cannot be said for Meth. I do think Meth is a great lyricist and has a dope flow but he doesn't put maximum effort into his work most of the time and that irritates me about him. I'd take Redman over Meth as well by a pretty large margin.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2445
Join date : 2011-03-01
Age : 35
Location : Bunnyhead, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:51 pm

I think Em in his prime would murder Meth in his prime on all fronts.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1853
Join date : 2010-07-29
Age : 28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:55 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I think Em in his prime would murder Meth in his prime on all fronts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 4:05 pm

Blackout 2 is very very average....maybe only slightly better than Recovery
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Blackout 2 is very very average....maybe only slightly better than Recovery

I agree with that....but I don't think that's because of Meth....I think the production held down that effort big time!
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
avatar

Posts : 5489
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 40
Location : Soul Heaven

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 4:59 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Blackout 2 is very very average....maybe only slightly better than Recovery

Score = 0

Get The Fuck Out

Thats just some dumb shit.

_________________
There's A God On The Mic
"Pretty soon hip hop won't be so nice, no Ice Cube...just Vanilla Ice"
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:14 pm

Recovery is wayyyy better than Blackout 2
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1853
Join date : 2010-07-29
Age : 28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:25 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Blackout 2 is very very average....maybe only slightly better than Recovery

I almost want to co-sign this lol but can't, but I will say this...

'Dis Iz 4 All My Smokers' & 'Four Minutes to Lockdown' >>>>>>>>>>>> any given song on Recovery
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
avatar

Posts : 2589
Join date : 2009-05-06
Location : Between a rock and hard place

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:31 pm

Meth all the way. He made wack albums but never switched up his style
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1853
Join date : 2010-07-29
Age : 28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:33 pm

Dang! Trotter wrote:
Meth all the way. He made wack albums but never switched up his style

So churning out bad product and not evolving makes him better?
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 240
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:10 pm

thelundquist wrote:
Dang! Trotter wrote:
Meth all the way. He made wack albums but never switched up his style

So churning out bad product and not evolving makes him better?

That's an interesting comment, because in my opinion Em was a great rapper when he had that SSLP/MMLP style. Once he switched up around Relapse/Recovery he started making wack albums. So neither artist has evolved. Both have churned out bad product.

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2445
Join date : 2011-03-01
Age : 35
Location : Bunnyhead, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:13 pm

I don't even look at their bad product, I just feel:

SSLP, MMLP, Eminem Show>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tical and 4/21

and its not even close...even counting Meth's best work with Wu doesn't make it a contest.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:23 pm

Yeah, but when it comes right down to it, Meth wins because How High >>>>>>> 8 Mile.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 240
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:25 pm

Alan wrote:
Yeah, but when it comes right down to it, Meth wins because How High >>>>>>> 8 Mile.

The Wire, Seasons 2-5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> How High

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1853
Join date : 2010-07-29
Age : 28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:33 pm

Half wrote:
thelundquist wrote:
Dang! Trotter wrote:
Meth all the way. He made wack albums but never switched up his style

So churning out bad product and not evolving makes him better?

That's an interesting comment, because in my opinion Em was a great rapper when he had that SSLP/MMLP style. Once he switched up around Relapse/Recovery he started making wack albums. So neither artist has evolved. Both have churned out bad product.

Eminem's style is different on every album he has put out. Mainly because he is always reacting to his critics. Like for example on SSLP he was totally being himself, but then on MMLP he took on a more aggressive style and slightly more serious tone because of his anger towards critics and his realization that fame is a double-edged sword.

After the MMLP critics were saying when was he going to grow up, so On Eminem Show he tried to get more serious and mature and political, but the critics reacted with"Who does Em think he is?Why is he being serious? We want to hear fart jokes, celebrity bashing, and murder fantasies!" He returned with the Slim Shady persona on hyper-drive for Encore. That plus the drugs made for his only bad (horrible) album IMO.

After the hiatus and cleaning up, he returned with yet another new style (partly because he was uncomfortable with his sober voice) on Relapse, which was, and still is, his most lyrically precise (though not best overall) record to date imo.

He took a lot of flak for Relapse, and it didn't set the world on fire like his other works, so he switched-up again for Recovery to try to appeal to a larger audience and get back on top of; not only the rap game, but the entire music industry, and all of pop culture; which he did. With that said I'm not a fan of Recovery to its overt poppiness.

Em, partly because of his own insecurities and partly for his desire to stay in the forefront of rap, has rolled with the punches, and changed his style (though not always for the better) to stay relevant and be a force in music.

Method Man (who is one of my favorite MCs of all time) has been putting out virtually the same material for almost two decades with declining skills (though I do think his verses on OB4CL2 are some of the best I've ever heard him spit). He is still well respected in hip-hop (and should be) but is completely overlooked by the masses.

So that's my argument. Em is better.


Last edited by thelundquist on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:34 pm

Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Yeah, but when it comes right down to it, Meth wins because How High >>>>>>> 8 Mile.

The Wire, Seasons 2-5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> How High

How exactly does this relate, Half? I laid out stone cold facts in the post above....
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 240
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:49 pm

Alan wrote:
Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Yeah, but when it comes right down to it, Meth wins because How High >>>>>>> 8 Mile.

The Wire, Seasons 2-5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> How High

How exactly does this relate, Half? I laid out stone cold facts in the post above....

Meth was a character in those seasons

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 240
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:52 pm

thelundquist wrote:
Half wrote:
thelundquist wrote:
Dang! Trotter wrote:
Meth all the way. He made wack albums but never switched up his style

So churning out bad product and not evolving makes him better?

That's an interesting comment, because in my opinion Em was a great rapper when he had that SSLP/MMLP style. Once he switched up around Relapse/Recovery he started making wack albums. So neither artist has evolved. Both have churned out bad product.

Eminem's style is different on every album he has put out. Mainly because he is always reacting to his critics. Like for example on SSLP he was totally being himself, but then on MMLP he took on a more aggressive style and slightly more serious tone because of his anger towards critics and his realization that fame is a double-edged sword.

After the MMLP critics were saying when was he going to grow up, so On Eminem Show he tried to get more serious and mature and political, but the critics reacted with"Who does Em think he is?Why is he being serious? We want to hear fart jokes, celebrity bashing, and murder fantasies!" He returned with the Slim Shady persona on hyper-drive for Encore. That plus the drugs made for his only bad (horrible) album IMO.

After the hiatus and cleaning up, he returned with yet another new style (partly because he was uncomfortable with his sober voice) on Relapse, which was, and still is, his most lyrically precise (though not best overall) record to date imo.

He took a lot of flak for Relapse, and it didn't set the world on fire like his other works, so he switched-up again for Recovery to try to appeal to a larger audience and get back on top of; not only the rap game, but the entire music industry, and all of pop culture; which he did. With that said I'm not a fan of Recovery to its overt poppiness.

Em, partly because of his own insecurities and partly for his desire to stay in the forefront of rap, has rolled with the punches, and changed his style (though not always for the better) to stay relevant and be a force in music.

Method Man (who is one of my favorite MCs of all time) has been putting out virtually the same material for almost two decades with declining skills (though I do think his verses on OB4CL2 are some of the best I've ever heard him spit). He is still well respected in hip-hop (and should be) but is completely overlooked by the masses.

So that's my argument. Em is better.

I agree with a lot of your argument, particularly the Em is better part. I have always considered his SSLP/MMLP/TES styles to be pretty similar....while Relapse and Recovery are quite different from each other and the aforementioned first 3 LPs style.

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:54 pm

Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Yeah, but when it comes right down to it, Meth wins because How High >>>>>>> 8 Mile.

The Wire, Seasons 2-5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> How High

How exactly does this relate, Half? I laid out stone cold facts in the post above....

Meth was a character in those seasons

Damn. I guess I should've guessed. More sweet ammo for Meth.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 7:21 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I don't even look at their bad product, I just feel:

SSLP, MMLP, Eminem Show>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tical and 4/21

and its not even close...even counting Meth's best work with Wu doesn't make it a contest.

I'd take Tical over Eminem Show, but not over SSLP or MMLP.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1853
Join date : 2010-07-29
Age : 28
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 7:30 pm

Damn, I just got back from driving my mom's van to Taco Bell jamming MMLP on cassette (my car's in the shop, she doesn't have a cd player... fuck you lol), and even though it was the 3076941514th time I've heard it, I still can't still help but to get hyped the FUCK up and be completely blown away by Sticky Fingaz verse on "Remember Me?".

...I know this is completely off-topic, but I didn't feel like making a new topic for it lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 7:35 pm

This thread just gave me an idea!!!
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:59 pm

id take Tical over MMLP, probably not SSLP though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Method Man vs. Eminem   

Back to top Go down
 
Method Man vs. Eminem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» technique or groove

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: