Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2

Go down 
+7
Alan
TheHazardous
Deanie O'Banion
D.Powell
Laced With Slang
Half
Tic706
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Empty
PostSubject: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 3:11 pm

Which album from the below artist do you feel most people overlook and/or underrate?

Eminem
Cypress Hill
Atmosphere
Z-RO
Outkast
Tech-N9ne
Too Short
Ice Cube
MF Doom
DMX
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 4:32 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
Which album from the below artist do you feel most people overlook and/or underrate?

Eminem - I'd say most people underrate Encore. No, it isn't good, but if people are give 4+ star ratings to Recovery I'd suggest they give this another listen as it's just as good (or to me, bad).
Cypress Hill - I haven't heard all of their output but I do think Temples of Boom gets underrated.
Atmosphere - I've only listened to a couple of LPs from this group so no comment.
Z-RO - Only heard one album.
Outkast - Speakerboxxx is pretty underrated, but I'd also add Stankonia to the underrated list.
Tech-N9ne - Haven't heard enough.
Too Short - Haven't heard enough.
Ice Cube - If EPs count Kill At Will is underrated IMO.
MF Doom - Take Me To Your Leader is quite underrated in my opinion.
DMX - The Great Depression was the last good DMX album in my opinion and I think it does get overlooked a bit. Grand Champ sucked.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 4:54 pm

Eminem - Relapse
Cypress Hill - IV. to me this is easily there most underrated and one of their best
Atmosphere - N/A and dont care
Z-RO - havent heard all of his albums but ill say Z-Ro vs. the World cuz no one really mentioned that when telling me what to get from him and it may be my fav from what ive heard
Outkast - if Speakerboxxx counts ill say that. If not its tough to say. Stankonia is probably underrated by die hard hi hop heads, but Southernplayalistic is probably the most underrated to the average listener
Tech-N9ne - The Worst
Too Short - im not sure since all ive heard are Life Is, Shorty the Pimp, Short Doggs in the House, Get In Where You Fit In, Cocktails, and Blow the Whislte. I guess out of those id say Cocktails is underrated but i ahvent heard a ton of his others.
Ice Cube - i guess ill say Laugh now Cry Later
MF Doom - Take Me To Your Leader
DMX - ill cosign Half and say Great Depression
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 5:09 pm

Eminem-I'm gonna with Encore from him, that album actually contains one of my favorite songs from him Toy Soldiers...I would give that album 3.75 stars..it's not as bad as some think IMO!
Cypress Hill-Temples Of Boom is a legit effort and overlooked IMO
Atmosphere-n/a
Z-RO-n/a
Outkast-Stankonia to me is overrated..it's not a 5 star effort...it's more like 4 stars IMO
Tech-N9ne-n/a
Too Short-I'd say Life Is is overrated IMO....that's a 4 star album...Gettin' It is much better IMO
Ice Cube-Kill At Will is a 5 star EP IMO
MF Doom-Take Me To Your Leader is 4.5 stars but I think it's underrated because there are alot of people who haven't even heard it yet...
DMX-Grand Champ is alot like Encore IMO...meaning it's not as bad as you may have heard...it's about 3.50 stars IMO...but I've heard a bunch of heads throw it way under the bus at like 3 stars and below and it's better than that IMO!
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 9:22 pm

Eminem- Eminem Show (Most talk about MM & SSLP as his biggest albums but this one seems to get shorted)

Cypress Hill- Stoned Raiders (Slang made a helluva good pick with IV so i'll say this one. To me its as good as any of their albums after Black Sunday)

Z-RO- Cocaine (never hear anyone give props to this album. But it ranks pretty high with me)

Outkast- Speakerboxxxx (Big Boi kept Kast afloat with that album)

Too Short- I Can't Stay Away (I think I only skip maybe 2-3 trks on this album, dope outta "retirement" album)

Ice Cube- Bootlegs & B-Sides (Its Lethal Injection on speed!!!!!!!)

DMX- Year Of The Dog (Grand Champ is a good pick but I think this one was better)
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 9:33 pm

Agreed on Can't Stay Away K.Rob. Old fans don't mention it & New fans don't mention it.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 9:46 pm

TheBeerHunter wrote:
Agreed on Can't Stay Away K.Rob. Old fans don't mention it & New fans don't mention it.

Yeah man he did a smart thing and picked some dope ass guest for that album. I would even dare to say its not a typical Short album.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 10:34 pm

Eminem-Eminem Show
Cypress Hill-Temple of Boom
Atmosphere-n/a
Z-RO-n/a(I'm getting there, he's on the list)
Outkast-Stankonia
Tech-N9ne-n/a(all the ones I have get burn, I guess his early two works)
Too Short-Can't Stay Away
Ice Cube-Lethal Injection
MF Doom-Viktor Vaughn, probably
DMX-Great Depression
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 10:42 pm

That Great Depression could have been so much more. I only like a few select cuts on it.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 6:18 pm

Eminem - none (all are overrated)

Cypress Hill - IV (always a dope listen)

Atmosphere - Sevens Travels (not really a good answer here)

Outkast - Stankonia (classic album IMO...overrated by casual listeners, underrated by longtime listeners)

MF Dooom - Vaudeville Villain (only because you don't hear too many people bring it up. This is easily Doom's best rhyming post-KMD. 5 star classic)
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 6:21 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Eminem-I'm gonna with Encore from him, that album actually contains one of my favorite songs from him Toy Soldiers...I would give that album 3.75 stars..it's not as bad as some think IMO!
Cypress Hill-Temples Of Boom is a legit effort and overlooked IMO
Atmosphere-n/a
Z-RO-n/a
Outkast-Stankonia to me is overrated..it's not a 5 star effort...it's more like 4 stars IMO
Tech-N9ne-n/a
Too Short-I'd say Life Is is overrated IMO....that's a 4 star album...Gettin' It is much better IMO
Ice Cube-Kill At Will is a 5 star EP IMO
MF Doom-Take Me To Your Leader is 4.5 stars but I think it's underrated because there are alot of people who haven't even heard it yet...
DMX-Grand Champ is alot like Encore IMO...meaning it's not as bad as you may have heard...it's about 3.50 stars IMO...but I've heard a bunch of heads throw it way under the bus at like 3 stars and below and it's better than that IMO!

I'm surprised to hear this Powell. I definitely agree.

Trotter would be proud that you like an Monster Island Czars album (sort of).
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 6:43 pm

Eminem- Relapse, Still a 4.25 star album for me. I like it better than Recovery. Powell is crazy for saying Encore. That's easily his worst album and makes Nastradamus sound like Illmatic.

Cypress Hill- Temples Of Boom, Had the misfortune of following two classics but it's still a banger.

Outkast- Speakerboxxx, a fucking AMAZING album. I wish it and Love Below would have been sold seperately.

Too Short- Gettin It, loved the production.

Ice Cube- Raw Footage, to this day I don't understand the hatred for this album. Granted, it's not as good as anything he's done pre-Lethal Injection but it's still a dope ass album and Cube was spittin some knowledge on that album. Easily a 4 star album IMO.

MF Doom- Venomous Villian, Horrendously slept on album. Not among his best but I'd say it's at least 4-4.25 stars

DMX- Flesh Of My Flesh Blood Of My Blood, Easily his 2nd best album IMO. Lyrically, I think he just as good on this as It's Dark And Hell Is Hot, but the debut edges it out because of better production.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 6:47 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Eminem- Relapse, Still a 4.25 star album for me. I like it better than Recovery. Powell is crazy for saying Encore. That's easily his worst album and makes Nastradamus sound like Illmatic.

Cypress Hill- Temples Of Boom, Had the misfortune of following two classics but it's still a banger.

Outkast- Speakerboxxx, a fucking AMAZING album. I wish it and Love Below would have been sold seperately.

Ice Cube- Raw Footage, to this day I don't understand the hatred for this album. Granted, it's not as good as anything he's done pre-Lethal Injection but it's still a dope ass album and Cube was spittin some knowledge on that album. Easily a 4 star album IMO. MF Doom- Venomous Villian, Horrendously slept on album. Not among his best but I'd say it's at least 4-4.25 stars

DMX- Flesh Of My Flesh Blood Of My Blood, Easily his 2nd best album IMO. Lyrically, I think he just as good on this as It's Dark And Hell Is Hot, but the debut edges it out because of better production.

I agree about Raw Footage. It takes a few listens but it grows on you. He could have done without Young Jeezy though.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 7:06 pm

"Eminem- Relapse, Still a 4.25 star album for me. I like it better than Recovery. Powell is crazy for saying Encore. That's easily his worst album and makes Nastradamus sound like Illmatic."

If Nas was listed then I would have put Nastradamus for him as being underrated...that is a 3.50 star album and not nearly as bad as some heads have made it out to be...
I think your kinda unhinged for mentioning Relapse here..lol...to me that one is about equal with Encore in my opinion but with even less memorable songs...meaning there is no Like Toy Soldiers or Mosh Pit or Evil Deeds or Mockingbird on it...Recovery is waaay better than that one IMO!

Last edited by D.Powell on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 7:07 pm

Jack of Spades wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Ice Cube- Raw Footage, to this day I don't understand the hatred for this album. Granted, it's not as good as anything he's done pre-Lethal Injection but it's still a dope ass album and Cube was spittin some knowledge on that album. Easily a 4 star album IMO. MF Doom- Venomous Villian, Horrendously slept on album. Not among his best but I'd say it's at least 4-4.25 stars

I agree about Raw Footage. It takes a few listens but it grows on you. He could have done without Young Jeezy though.

Cosign x 2

I was real hard on this album when it first dropped. I think I had rated it like a 3.25-3.5, But with more listens and time its a solid 4.0 easily.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 8:22 pm

Eminem- Relapse (Refill)
Outkast- Stankonia
Too Short- Cocktails
Ice Cube- Lethal Injection
DMX- Flesh Of My Flesh, Blood Of My Blood
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 8:55 pm

D.Powell wrote:
"Eminem- Relapse, Still a 4.25 star album for me. I like it better than Recovery. Powell is crazy for saying Encore. That's easily his worst album and makes Nastradamus sound like Illmatic."

If Nas was listed then I would have put Nastradamus for him as being underrated...that is a 3.50 star album and not nearly as bad as some heads have made it out to be...
I think your kinda unhinged for mentioning Relapse here..lol...to me that one is about equla with Encore in my opinion but with even less memorable songs...meaning thre is no Like Toy Soldiers or Mosh Pit or Evil Deeds or Mockingbird on it...Recovery is waaay better than that one IMO!

I'd take Beautiful and Underground over any song on Encore easily, and I'd take 3AM over most of them. You're entitled to your opinion (crazy as it may be) but I wholeheartedly disagree. I can see why someone would like Recovery more than Relapse, but not Encore.

I do agree with your opinion of Nastradamus though. While it's his worst album and most disappointing, I don't think it's among the worst ever made. It's not even the worst from 1999. As for Nas' most underrated album, I'd say either I Am or Street Disciple. Probably the former though, because the latter is fairly acclaimed among Hip Hop Nation from what I've seen.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 9:03 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

I think your kinda unhinged for mentioning Relapse here..lol...to me that one is about equla with Encore in my opinion but with even less memorable songs...meaning thre is no Like Toy Soldiers or Mosh Pit or Evil Deeds or Mockingbird on it...Recovery is waaay better than that one IMO!

I'd take Beautiful and Underground over any song on Encore easily, and I'd take 3AM over most of them. You're entitled to your opinion (crazy as it may be) but I wholeheartedly disagree. I can see why someone would like Recovery more than Relapse, but not Encore.

I do agree with your opinion of Nastradamus though. While it's his worst album and most disappointing, I don't think it's among the worst ever made. It's not even the worst from 1999. As for Nas' most underrated album, I'd say either I Am or Street Disciple. Probably the former though, because the latter is fairly acclaimed among Hip Hop Nation from what I've seen.

my opinion is really that "crazy" KJ?? seriously?? Laughing My Ass Off

you've always struggled with those that have gone against your grain so I understand man?? (I guess)
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 9:08 pm

D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

you've always struggled with those that have gone against your grain so I understand man?? (I guess)

I'd say that you preferring BP3 over BP1 is crazier. But it's all good, we're still homies. I probably could pinpoint at least one crazy opinion of every member of this forum, the regulars anyway.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 9:11 pm

D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

lol and you dont?
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 9:13 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

lol and you dont?

Touche, Sal Big Grin
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 9:21 pm

Actually Slang I normally don't give a fuck my dude.....just look at my -10 in the "Just To Get A Rep" category...lol

the only way to get some internet "man" love on here is to e-kiss and e-lick each others balls by constantly agreeing with everything mentioned on here from the forum regulars as being dope...lol (I need to follow your example a little bit more I guess...NOT!)

that would mean I would have to actually like that shit that Romped is big upping on a constant basis and that just ain't happening mane....lol

nah but I love to debate on here, I just ask that you make sense, that's my only requirement! ex. telling me that Ghostface Killah does not have a valid opinion on the state of hip-hop in 2011 because he does not feel like "digging" for new music sounds like a Beavis state of mind to me mane.....
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 9:32 pm

Eminem - Relapse (People either liked it or didn't until Em started ishing on it and now it's some terrible album? Nah, Relapse is crazy dope, easily Em's most lyrical (not best overall) album)

Z-Ro - I'm Still Livin' (Idk if it is underrated per say but it is my favorite Ro album, and I haven't had anyone else agree with me)

Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (Everyone talks about ATLiens & Aquemini (which they should), but this debut is no slouch at all. This is a great, great album.)

DMX - The Great Depression (It has what I consider X's best song, "We Right Here", on it. Plus, I never hear anyone bring this record up.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 9:55 pm

thelundquist wrote:
Eminem - Relapse (People either liked it or didn't until Em started ishing on it and now it's some terrible album? Nah, Relapse is crazy dope, easily Em's most lyrical (not best overall) album)

Z-Ro - I'm Still Livin' (Idk if it is underrated per say but it is my favorite Ro album, and I haven't had anyone else agree with me)

Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (Everyone talks about ATLiens & Aquemini (which they should), but this debut is no slouch at all. This is a great, great album.)

DMX - The Great Depression (It has what I consider X's best song, "We Right Here", on it. Plus, I never hear anyone bring this record up.)

Awesome, I love that track too. Wouldn't say its his best, but up there for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2   They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

They're discog's most slept on/underrated album? Vol. 2
Page 1 of 1