Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)

Go down 
+2
Shaun
Alan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Empty
PostSubject: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:13 pm

Wack wack wack! Eyedea used to be one of my favorites, but somehow him and Abilities managed to drop the worst album of the year so far IMO. 1.5 stars, maybe 2 stars at best. 30 minutes of straight disappointment after 5 years of waiting. Looks like Eyedea will only ever have 3 albums in my collection judging by the road he's heading.

To sum up why....I just don't like the change, the new vibes, Eyedea's guitar playing, the screaming, the seriousness, the hooks, the choruses, etc. I just don't like the fact he is maturing (which feels forced to me) without really settling into his hip-hop persona more. I have just been hoping he'd expand on that style and eventually perfect it instead of inducing the E&A album full of vibes that he used on the Face Candy & Carbon Carousel records. If I want to hear something like this, I'd listen to a rock/metal vocalist/band, and somebody who can actually play guitar well.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:22 pm

Looks like C. Tran was right! lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:25 pm

I told you Eyedea sucks! Cheers
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:26 pm

Shon wrote:
Looks like C. Tran was right! lol

LOL - I was just about to say, C. Tran will be happy to see this. lol

Of course, this doesn't make me dislike their other work at all. It just means Eyedea has completely fallen off now (IMO).
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:27 pm

wrote:
I told you Eyedea sucks! Cheers

Funny, I was commenting on the Eyedea at Access, and noticed you were online there...like 20 seconds ago...lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:30 pm

Yeah I was checking their restocks to see if they have any albums that would interest me. Nothing today.

Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) 222431
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:37 pm

Check out what I posted on that thread Al, let's see how many of those underground heads jump me for it. lol!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:40 pm

wrote:
Check out what I posted on that thread Al, let's see how many of those underground heads jump me for it. lol!

wrote:
Eyedea is a wack version of Eminem.

Couldn't be further from the truth. I hate Eminem and even I know he would not let something this horrible hit the streets. You've always said this in the past though...I obviously disagree in just about every way possible.

After seeing them live at Sound Set and hearing the new shit, I knew it would suck. I can't even show support for this one. Not a single cut makes it worth any amount of money to this so-called Minnesota hip-hop fiend. lol
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:41 pm

This, along with Cage and Street Sweeper Social Club, joins the list of examples of how Hip-Hop/Rock fusion can sabotage otherwise well intentioned artists. One problem seems to be that Hip-Hop artist just have horrible taste in rock music. Street Sweeper Social Club doesn't really apply, since it's descended from the best rock/rap project, RATM, but Cage and E&A seem to be trying to move toward some of the worst rock music. This overly slick and measured, faux-Alternative bullshit.

This also underscores just how impressive an album Never Better is. P.O.S. knows what he's doing, and his tastes seem to tend toward more "authentic" punk and alternative rock.

Last edited by Jason on Wed 01 Jul 2009, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:45 pm

Yea, Cage fucked up, Don't think I'll by another album from him unless he gets back on drugs.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:46 pm

Jason wrote:
This, along with Cage and Street Sweeper Social Club, joins long list of examples of how Hip-Hop/Rock fusion can sabotoge otherwise well intentioned artists. One problem seems to be that Hip-Hop artist just have horrible taste in rock music. Street Sweeper Social Club doesn't really apply, since it's descended from the best rock/rap project, RATM, but Cage and E&A seem to be trying to move toward some of the worst rock music. This overly slick, faux-Alternative bullshit.

This also underscores just how impressive an album Never Better is. P.O.S. knows what he's doing, and his tastes seem to tend toward more "authentic" punk and alternative rock.

I agree! Cage (from what I gather...have not heard it) and E&A seem to be going for this eclectic mash-up of hip-hop and indy rock/metal. That E&A has got some sort of Industrial vibe to it too. Dirty sounding as fuck and not pleasant to the ears in the very least. I really expected more from DJ Abilities on the production end, since I know the dude can be excellent behind the boards as a DJ and producer. It borders on being pretentious too, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:47 pm

Esco wrote:
Yea, Cage fucked up, Don't think I'll by another album from him unless he gets back on drugs.

LOL - I think that's the opposite of Eyedea's problem. Dude looks like a bum every time I see him downtown/uptown. Dude still lives with his mom...lol...rather sad since he was making bank there for a while.
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 3:49 pm

Alan wrote:
Esco wrote:

LOL - I think that's the opposite of Eyedea's problem. Dude looks like a bum every time I see him downtown/uptown. Dude still lives with his mom...lol...rather sad since he was making bank there for a while.

He lives with his mother? after being an accomplished DJ? wtf man!!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 4:05 pm

Esco wrote:
Alan wrote:
Esco wrote:

No, Eyedea lives with his mom after being an accomplished emcee and producer. He's heavier into the production than most think. From what I understand, he blew all the E&A money on building his own studio in his mom's basement. lol
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 4:54 pm

Alan wrote:
Esco wrote:
Alan wrote:
Esco wrote:

No, Eyedea lives with his mom after being an accomplished emcee and producer. He's heavier into the production than most think. From what I understand, he blew all the E&A money on building his own studio in his mom's basement. lol

hahah, what a jack-ass... should of just kept using FLStudio and bought his own apartment with that money.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 5:00 pm

Esco wrote:
Alan wrote:
Esco wrote:
Alan wrote:
Esco wrote:

hahah, what a jack-ass... should of just kept using FLStudio and bought his own apartment with that money.

Yeah...lol. I actually like his (older) beats. He's got a good ear for samples. However, his newer production with all this indy metal junk is terrible and nothing like his traditional sounding hip-hop beats....much like his music in general.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 5:06 pm

You should order the new Hilltop Hoods CD if you're fiending for good white rappers
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 5:17 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
You should order the new Hilltop Hoods CD if you're fiending for good white rappers

Good stuff? Looks interesting from their myspace. I'll have to check it later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 5:23 pm

dope stuff
you will love it pounds... their latest CD is at a good amazon price too...
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 10:31 pm

Damn Pounds. I didn't expect to hear the news about Eyedea's new joint. Oh well, back to the drawing board for them. After 4 years, this is what we get?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 10:41 pm

You should listen to Hilltop Hoods J harris, right up your alley.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jul 2009, 10:44 pm

Cool. I'll check for it SRP.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeThu 21 Apr 2011, 12:17 am

This is super late, but Burn Fetish is a dope ass song.... I'm not a huge fan of this album but I think your rating is tad low imo lol. But Eyedea was amazing, sucks he died...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitimeThu 21 Apr 2011, 12:33 am

Also, I just jammed 'First Born' again and that is without question a flawless 5-star perfect fucking album.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)   Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eyedea & Abilities "By The Throat" (2009)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: New Skool Hip Hop-
Jump to: