Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reincarnations of classic albums?

Go down 
+4
KJ Styles
T. Myers
Half
Tic706
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Reincarnations of classic albums? Empty
PostSubject: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 3:16 pm

What are some post 2000 albums you feel are modern day versions of older classics? Like they give you a feel of an older album or the subject matter is similar or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

I'm finding this really hard to answer. All I can think of are direct and obvious sequels like OB4CL2.

Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 3:35 pm

I could see Below The Heavens being compared to something like Mecca & The Soul Brother, but i don't think BTH is a classic.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

I don't see that comparison at all...
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 3:46 pm

Half wrote:
I don't see that comparison at all...

I don't think they sound alike. It's just the vibe and the mc/producer element is similar.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 5:37 pm

Below The Heavens=west coast Illmatic. Something about Blu's lyrics and personal subject matter over smooth but hard beats reminds me of Illmatic. Like how Nas seemed to be cramming so many dope lyrics into his bars that some words you did not catch until later.

Turf War Syndrome=Death Certificate. The passion, lyrics, and aggression of T KASH on this album reminds me of Cube on DC. Like DC, Turf War is str8 in yo face but not preachy or comes off as typical angry black man.

I am not saying these albums are as good as those classics but they remind me of them.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 5:40 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
Below The Heavens=west coast Illmatic. Something about Blu's lyrics and personal subject matter over smooth but hard beats reminds me of Illmatic. Like how Nas seemed to be cramming so many dope lyrics into his bars that some words you did not catch until later.

Turf War Syndrome=Death Certificate. The passion, lyrics, and aggression of T KASH on this album reminds me of Cube on DC. Like DC, Turf War is str8 in yo face but not preachy or comes off as typical angry black man.

I am not saying these albums are as good as those classics but they remind me of them.

I'd say the West Coast Illmatic would be No One Can Do It Better. And Word...Life would be the East Coast DC.

I like Illmatic and DC better than the two aforementioned albums. But the DOC was on the verge of superstardom until the tragic accident. If it wasn't for that, DOC might have become as large as Cube or Pac and would likely be considered a GOAT candidate. That, and the fact that Nas was also a hot up and coming MC who eventually became a huge star and GOAT candidate are the reasons for the comparison.

As for Word...Life and DC, even though O.C. never became the star Cube is. The album represented the typical black man to the fullest and was also in your face with it's lyricism.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 5:44 pm

I've been saying recently Madvillainy is the 36 Chambers of the 2000's in terms of the raw, gritty sound.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

KJ whats makes you say Word...Life is the west coast DC? I'm not really seeing it.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 6:00 pm

I've heard people say Escape From Monsta Island is comparable to 36 Chambers.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 6:00 pm

Kev, BTH doesn't really remind me of Illmatic. I do think both mc's get personal though.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

Oh yeah KJ I 4got the rules were post 2000 albums only.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 6:10 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Kev, BTH doesn't really remind me of Illmatic. I do think both mc's get personal though.

I think its the natural flow both emcee's showed. Something about those albums feel organic to a degree or just semi perfect for there time and space. And the beats seemed like they were born for those rhymes and subjects.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

Solitary Confinement by K-Rino is Scarface's Mr. Scarface Is Back - they are both from Houston.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 8:47 pm

I see the Below the Heavens comparison but not Madvillainy or MIC for 36 Chambers. The other two don't give me that vibe.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 10:00 pm

Kev ive had that Turf War Syndrome sitting in my car for about 3 weeks and i keep forgettting to spin it since i bought it, i gotta get on that

as to this thread here are some comparisons

The Cold Vein - gives me a All We Got Iz Us vibe with the in your face reality raps delivered with a no holds barred approach and the gritty production. Also sort of gives me a mix between Tical mixed with Liquid Swords vibe

Escape From Monsta Island - i see the 36 Chambers comparison/vibe

Violent By Design - gives me the vibe of Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars but these did only come out 3 years apart...lol

Whats Wrong With Bill? - to me is sort of like the new age War Report

Spazmatic by Tame One is like the new age Whut? Thee Album

Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm

TheHazardous wrote:
I see the Below the Heavens comparison but not Madvillainy or MIC for 36 Chambers. The other two don't give me that vibe.

When I say Madvillainy, I mean productionwise. It has the same exact lo-fi sample rate and just very stripped down and gritty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jun 2011, 3:21 am

Eh, I started this same topic back in the Amazon days but used the word spirit. New albums that have the spirit of a classic album. Lets see if I remember my pics.

Mob Deep "Infamous"--Tommy Gunn-A penny 4 Your Thoughts

Wu-Tang 36 Chambers--Escape From Monsta Island

Those are the old ones I remember

Reakwon-OB4CL/ Mf Doom--Operation DoomsDay

The Roots-Do You Want More/ The Procussions 5 Sparrows

Boogie Monsters/ Underwater Abum--DarcMind-Symptons of a Greater Ill

Gangstar/Daily Operation--Binary Star/Masters Of The Universe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnations of classic albums?   Reincarnations of classic albums? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reincarnations of classic albums?
Page 1 of 1