Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Artist Album Versus Day 3

Go down 
+8
Highsmith
Deanie O'Banion
KJ Styles
Wayne
Shaun
T. Myers
Half
Laced With Slang
12 posters

which do you prefer and why?
The Low End Theory
Artist Album Versus Day 3 Vote_lcap58%Artist Album Versus Day 3 Vote_rcap
 58% [ 7 ]
Midnight Marauders
Artist Album Versus Day 3 Vote_lcap42%Artist Album Versus Day 3 Vote_rcap
 42% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Artist Album Versus Day 3 Empty
PostSubject: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

the debate over these 2 albums can go on for days so lets get it started...

Low End Theory vs. Midnight Marauders

Artist Album Versus Day 3 ATribeCalledQuestTheLowEndtheory

vs.

Artist Album Versus Day 3 C5174886a6e

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:

the debate over these 2 albums can go on for days so lets get it started...

Low End Theory vs. Midnight Marauders

Artist Album Versus Day 3 ATribeCalledQuestTheLowEndtheory

vs.

Artist Album Versus Day 3 C5174886a6e

Hey Slang you should use tha chatbox more man! Chatbox Mafia is recruiting!

But anyway...one of the discussions myself, SRP and T had in the chatbox earlier today was that there's not a lot of discussion on here, especially in Topic Of The Day. People seem to just list the album title (I'm guilty of doing this too, I can't lie.) So hopefully there will be more discussion in those Vs. threads as well as in these...and the rest of the forum of course. With that said...

I pick Low End Theory.

As I've already established in the Top 10 Albums and MC's thread this is in my top ten. I just think the album really flows together perfectly. There are some standout tracks (Buggin Out, Butter, Scenario) but I think the album is much more consistent than MM. MM has its fair share of standouts (Award Tour, We Can Get Down, and Electric Relaxation are my favorites) but it has some weak points, mostly in the beginning. The intro, Steve Biko, and 8 Million Stories aren't bad but they don't really stack up to the rest of the album IMO. So it starts off a bit slow for me, and I also think that there's less energy on MM. Even when LET has extremely smooth and light jazzy beats Phife and Q-Tip still sound like they want to make a statement and prove that they are here to stay. On MM it seems that they know they are a force in the game and as a result don't go all out. Finally, I just find myself listening to LET the most out of ATCQ's catalog by a large margin of spins. That has to count for something. I don't really know a lot about music theory, so I can't comment on the "science" of the music, and I don't think there is any objectivity when evaluating art, so I mostly evaluate an album based on my feelings. I feel that LET is ATCQ's best.

Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011, 5:12 pm

Low End Theory
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011, 5:15 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Low End Theory
Wink
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

Midnight Marauders. LET has been putting me to sleep lately
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011, 9:24 pm

Both are classics, but I pick The Low End Theory. Not only do I bump that album more, but overall I like everything on this album more than Midnight Marauders (production, lyrics, etc).
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 7:16 pm

this is so hard lol, but overall LET prevails for me. both albums have high points, i might even go so far as to say MM's highs could be higher than LET's, but the other songs on LET make up for that and the album is stronger throughout IMO. Tracks like Excursions, Butter, Vibes and Stuff hold the album together great between the standout singles. The lyrical perofrmance on both is essentially a wash for me, and with similar vibes its hard to go wrong with either, but i can listen to LET more without finding myself skipping to certain songs i really wanna hear
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 7:23 pm

Wayne wrote:
Both are classics, but I pick The Low End Theory. Not only do I bump that album more, but overall I like everything on this album more than Midnight Marauders (production, lyrics, etc).

Co-Sign, I love both of these albums but if I were to name my favorite Tribe songs, the vast majority of them would come from The Low End Theory. Award Tour is the only Midnight Mauraders track that cracks my Top 5.

The Low End Theory is a Top 4 album of all time to me (can range from 2nd to 4th on any given day). Midnight Mauraders is like Top 25-30 or so. MM is closer to People's Instinctive Travels on my list than it is to TLET.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 7:43 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Co-Sign, I love both of these albums but if I were to name my favorite Tribe songs, the vast majority of them would come from The Low End Theory. Award Tour is the only Midnight Mauraders track that cracks my Top 5.

good point with that my top 5 would prolly be:

Can i Kick It
Check the Rhyme
Scenario
Award Tour
Buggin Out
and id prolly but The Chase Part II
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 7:44 pm

Buggin Out is the best Tribe song without question IMO
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 7:50 pm

Half wrote:
Buggin Out is the best Tribe song without question IMO

I think the Scenario remix is, but Buggin Out is in my Top 5.

And Slang, your Top 5 is the same as mine albeit in a different order. Chase Part II is dope, but my 2nd fav MM track is Electric Relaxation.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 7:50 pm

Did that Rapaport doc on them come out yet?
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 8:16 pm

It doesn't get too much better than The Scenario remix but Buggin' Out would also be in my Top 5
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 8:25 pm

Deanie O'Banion wrote:

I'm pretty sure it came out limited release (I'm guessing it won't be wide release...)
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 8:38 pm

I have probably listened to both of these just about the same in my lifetime but I'll give a slight edge to Low End Theory.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm

Half wrote:
Deanie O'Banion wrote:

I'm pretty sure it came out limited release (I'm guessing it won't be wide release...)

I don't think it came out yet, even if it's a limited release I would have heard about it. Hopefully I can catch it at a theater near me.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Half wrote:
Deanie O'Banion wrote:

I don't think it came out yet, even if it's a limited release I would have heard about it. Hopefully I can catch it at a theater near me.

Good call, it releases July 8th.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

Half wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Half wrote:
Deanie O'Banion wrote:

Good call, it releases July 8th.

AWESOME! That'll be on my to do list for next weekend.
Back to top Go down
ctrx
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
ctrx

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jul 2011, 10:46 am

If you had asked me any time within the past 7 or 8 years I would have said "Low End Theory" even though I've always found "Midnight Marauders" the more enjoyable of the two...LET would be more of an artistic triumph in my view. I listened to both of these albums back-to-back yesterday on a ride through NY though and what struck me was how poorly LET has aged in comparison to MM. LET's constant references to R&B girl groups, Arsenio, skypagers, ballplayers and what not place it squarely in '91 and make it much more of a period piece than MM, which also has beats I would label more timeless in quality...MM isn't the conceptual or artistic statement LET is but looking back it may hold up as the better LP.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

Midnight Marauders ever so slightly but both are in my top 10 hip-hop albums of all-time...A Tribe Called Quest mastered this hip-hop craft man....
Back to top Go down
Red Clay
Half Dolla
Half Dolla
Red Clay

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

Midnight Marauders edges out the win for me.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

MM and its not really close. Tribe is one of my favorite groups so don't confuse me as a "hater" but I feel TLET is overrated. Its a pretty solid album but I'm not sure I'd call it a classic. MM for me is the GOAT album while TLET figures somewhere in my top 30.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Artist Album Versus Day 3   Artist Album Versus Day 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Artist Album Versus Day 3
Page 1 of 1