Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review That Album

Go down 
+7
Wanduras
T. Myers
gametheory91
thelundquist
Funk Seoul Brother
SyRuP Sippa
Half
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Review That Album - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 5:44 pm

A Guest wrote:
SRP review this:

http://www.datpiff.com/C-MONEY-and-SLC-Street-Certified-Vol1-mixtape.54069.html

Damn man he's already busy...I guess this calls for another update:

Albums/Mixtapes reviewed:
Dj Rapid Ric - WhutItDew (3.5 stars rating by Half)
The Game - Red Wars(?) (2 stars by gametheory)
K-Rino - Fear No Evil (3.75 stars by T.Myers)
Dom Kennedy - II: From The Westside With Love (3 stars by Half)
Da UnderDawgz - The 1st One Is For Pimp (2.75 stars by thelundquist)
The Legendary Traxster - The Return Of Gangsta Music (3.5 stars by Half)
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Golden Era (3.25 stars by Half)
Guilty Simpson X Oh No - Ghettodes (??? by SRP)
Triple Darkness - Last Dayz (3.5 stars by T. Myers)
Lil Wayne - Sorry 4 The Wait (3 stars by Cise)
R.A. The Rugged Man - Die, Rugged Man, Die (4 stars by A Guest)
Blue Sky Black Death - Noir (3.5 stars by Wanduras)
Seagram - Souls On Ice (4.5 stars by Half)
MVP - Clout (4 stars by lundquist)

Albums/Mixtapes that still need to be reviewed:
Jehst - The Dragon Of An Ordinary Family (gametheory)
Killarmy - Dirty Weaponry (Slang said he'd get around to this)
Femi Kuti - Shoki Shoki (Cise)* - not sure if this is official
Z-Ro - 5200 (T. Myers)
Seagram - Reality Check (SRP) .....C-Money and SLC - Street Certified Vol 1 (SRP)

Posters not reviewing anything as of this post:
Half
thelundquist
A Guest
Wanduras

Anyone else down? Lounge? Shaun? Tran? Esco? Linker? Xcel? ctrx? KRob? Norf? Myes? Highsmith? KJ? Wayne? D.Powell? parker? Yogi? B.Shaw? PKT? Dopplegang.com? Zoned Out Mackin? Big Grin

Last edited by Half on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 8:00 pm

I am reviewing Z-Ro's 5200 for SRP
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I am reviewing Z-Ro's 5200 for SRP

Oh, my bad man. Editing now.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

Could it be worth moving this thread into the reviews section and then people request the album they want reviewed here, and the reviewer can then create a new post for that album in the reviews section under the album title with their review? Or are these not really in depth enough for that? Then ppl could also discuss the album in it's own thread and it would be easier to keep track of, especially if there was a running list with links in alphabetical order to every album reviewed. Just an idea, but that's what a review section is all about yeah ??
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 8:13 pm

Also doing it that way, the hh4l forum could build up a nice little archive of reviews for itself
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 8:27 pm

Lounge wrote:
Could it be worth moving this thread into the reviews section and then people request the album they want reviewed here, and the reviewer can then create a new post for that album in the reviews section under the album title with their review? Or are these not really in depth enough for that? Then ppl could also discuss the album in it's own thread and it would be easier to keep track of, especially if there was a running list with links in alphabetical order to every album reviewed. Just an idea, but that's what a review section is all about yeah ??

Most of these reviews have been short paragraphs, and many of the reviews are only probably gonna get responses from the person who requested and the person who reviewed, so there will be a bunch of threads with two posts about free mixtapes in the reviews section. If this thread gets too big to keep track of then yeah I might end up throwing a bunch of threads into the reviews section. But for now its still a pretty small thing, there's only 9 people participating in this right now. Want to help contribute to its demise? I know you got some good recs up your sleeve...
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 8:58 pm

hmmmm i guess my big dreams for this forum are goin nowhere for now then... alright I will maybe pitch in here n there as long as i can get to the music.. i'm not really interested in doin no mixtapes tho... well Half, seeing as tho you're free, I choose for you Alternate Invention by Seven Star.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 9:06 pm

Lounge wrote:
hmmmm i guess my big dreams for this forum are goin nowhere for now then... alright I will maybe pitch in here n there as long as i can get to the music.. i'm not really interested in doin no mixtapes tho... well Half, seeing as tho you're free, I choose for you Alternate Invention by Seven Star.

Will do man. And your review section idea is good, Slang seemed to think the seem thing. I just think we should wait until this thread gets too big and/or more people care.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 9:09 pm

yo, Wanduras, review "First Born" by Eyedea & Abilities
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 9:21 pm

dopplegang.com, please review Vanilla Ice - Extremely Live 1991
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 9:22 pm

Lounge wrote:
dopplegang.com, please review Vanilla Ice - Extremely Live 1991

Hahahaha

....this may just do the trick!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jul 2011, 9:29 am

Z-Ro-5200: This was cool for what it was, but outside of a few tracks it's not something i will want to spin too much. The sound quality is kinda poor, and i'm not a fan of rehashing older beats. Also there is an abundance of syrup references that get old after awhile. The standouts for me were Southside Groovin with Slim Thug and Face Real Heavy with BG. It got me excited for Hourleans assuming that album actually drops.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jul 2011, 9:38 am

I just got the DL, Lundquist...review coming soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jul 2011, 9:02 pm

I take it you're a big fan of "First Born", Lund? Also have you got your drum machine yet?
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jul 2011, 9:11 pm

A Guest wrote:
I take it you're a big fan of "First Born", Lund? Also have you got your drum machine yet?

I am and I have.

Yeah, big fan, it's in my top 10.

It's pretty awesome. I haven't really got anywhere with it yet, but it's fun to make noises...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 12:21 am

I think Pounds digs that one a lot, too. I only like Oliver Hart & E&A from Eyedea...just can't get into first born save a few tracks. Glad you like the drum machine. I fucked with all the presets, sorry.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 1:09 am

I'm really into philosophy and existentialism, so First Born fits that perfect. I love all their work... By the Throat the least though lol.

Yeah, man it's pretty sweet. I'm starting to get the hang of it, and I wouldn't have known the difference either way so it's cool man haha
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 9:58 am

Half wrote:
Lounge wrote:

Will do man. And your review section idea is good, Slang seemed to think the seem thing. I just think we should wait until this thread gets too big and/or more people care.

Here's my first impressions of Alternate Invention:

After one spin I'm not feeling this that much. It seems like another one of those albums that doesn't have any bad tracks but not a lot of good tracks. Seven Star isn't a bad rapper, and his voice sounds like a combination of Talib Kweli and Chino XL, but more on the Talib Kweli side. The beats seem to be what take me out of this album. They are basically all really light and jazzy. They do work occasionally, like on Woman, but to me many of them aren't very memorable. And when you combine that with Seven Star's Kweli-sounding flow...well you know what happens. There are some personal tracks on the album but Seven Star really doesn't get too emotional with his performance. On many tracks Star sounds like he's rapping slightly above whisper level. I can't say its bad, but I really can't say its something I'd come back to. I'm going with 3 stars for now.

Highlights: Woman, Friendshit, The Missing (Inner Vision Remix)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm

Hey Lounge, you review this instead of SRP:

It's labeled as a mixtape but it's all album tracks (read: Original Material) and there's no dj or anything like that. I think you should peep it.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 1:17 pm

I'll get to that C-Money too, for now here is:

Seagram - Reality Check:

So Seag is my GOAT, but as much as I love his music, I have always felt Souls on Ice was his best album easily. This is not to say his other albums are wack, but I feel that on Souls he found the right balance and his identity both lyrically and musically. Reality Check is a real solid CD, but for one the album lacks that balance on a lot of the tracks. It's starts out with a bunch of gangsta ass tracks, "The Town" "Gangsta Livin" etc. Then with "Birth" and "Where Do We Go From Here" you have two really dope positive/introspective tracks, but they kind of stand out due to how hard the rest of the album is. There's also some extended skits/interludes towards the end of the album that throw off the flow. The end I think has some of the best tracks in "No Matter The Cost" and "Gangstas and Playas" with Too Short. The other difference on this album is the production. Whereas Souls still samples some classic soul, Terry T put a real hard spin on the tracks giving that album more identity. Here (as was the case on Dark Roads) you have Seag using more straight samples of classic soul and since a ton of rappers were using the exact same samples at the same time, the beats don't come off as unique as I wish they would have been.

Overall, I'd say anything in the 3.5 to 4.0 range would be fair for this album, though I know some people would push it even higher than that.

And N3ro you review:
http://www.datpiff.com/Riff-Raff-Hilton-Swag-Vol1-mixtape.164032.html
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I'll get to that C-Money too, for now here is:

Seagram - Reality Check:

So Seag is my GOAT, but as much as I love his music, I have always felt Souls on Ice was his best album easily. This is not to say his other albums are wack, but I feel that on Souls he found the right balance and his identity both lyrically and musically. Reality Check is a real solid CD, but for one the album lacks that balance on a lot of the tracks. It's starts out with a bunch of gangsta ass tracks, "The Town" "Gangsta Livin" etc. Then with "Birth" and "Where Do We Go From Here" you have two really dope positive/introspective tracks, but they kind of stand out due to how hard the rest of the album is. There's also some extended skits/interludes towards the end of the album that throw off the flow. The end I think has some of the best tracks in "No Matter The Cost" and "Gangstas and Playas" with Too Short. The other difference on this album is the production. Whereas Souls still samples some classic soul, Terry T put a real hard spin on the tracks giving that album more identity. Here (as was the case on Dark Roads) you have Seag using more straight samples of classic soul and since a ton of rappers were using the exact same samples at the same time, the beats don't come off as unique as I wish they would have been.

Overall, I'd say anything in the 3.5 to 4.0 range would be fair for this album, though I know some people would push it even higher than that.

And N3ro you review:
http://www.datpiff.com/Riff-Raff-Hilton-Swag-Vol1-mixtape.164032.html

How would you rank this out of his 3 LPs? I have Souls On Ice and The Dark Roads.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask someone else at the end of mine. Yo Slang are you still working on that Dirty Weaponry review? If you aren't I got something for you to review...
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

I would rank it third personally, just because I dig the darker shit on Dark Roads and the old school funky vibe. But I've seen some big fans of gangsta rap rank it number 1 as well. You should definitely download. The funny thing is some of the lyrics will sound familiar to some of the stuff he spit on Souls, but it is slightly different.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 3:10 pm

C-Money & SLC - Street Certified:

Nice EP, only 8 tracks, front to back smooth fast spitting midwest gangsta shit. Really digging it and C-Money is becoming someone I'm willing to watch for consistently in the future. I'd give it a solid 3.5. I can see myself spinning this more in the future too. Good rec, N3ro. Can I get a review of the latest Sinna album from you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 6:13 pm

You just told me to review two things in a row, fool. And C-Money is dope behind the boards and on the mic. I can't wait for him to get out of jail and record a follow up to Front Porch Muzik. I know he did some stuff for Doe Boi's forthcoming album, and what I heard from that sounds really dope.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 7:09 pm

I ran off the assumption you are familiar with the Sinna so you could drop your thoughts without having to re-listen. And didn't know C-Money was locked up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 8:37 pm

C-Money has been locked up since right after FPM dropped. And I don't own the Sinna, can't find a link.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 9:27 pm

I don't mind Half.....the problem is, I am real selective with mixtapes. I wouldn't want to participate 75% or 65% if someone recommends something. I am going to start reviewing CDs like I use to soon but the majority of the ones I am going to review are CDs from this year or the ones I missed reviewing over the past few years.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 11:25 pm

A Guest wrote:

It's labeled as a mixtape but it's all album tracks (read: Original Material) and there's no dj or anything like that. I think you should peep it.

Do you still want me to do that one since SRP has done it ?
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 11:49 pm

Half wrote:

After one spin I'm not feeling this that much. It seems like another one of those albums that doesn't have any bad tracks but not a lot of good tracks. Seven Star isn't a bad rapper, and his voice sounds like a combination of Talib Kweli and Chino XL, but more on the Talib Kweli side. The beats seem to be what take me out of this album. They are basically all really light and jazzy. They do work occasionally, like on Woman, but to me many of them aren't very memorable. And when you combine that with Seven Star's Kweli-sounding flow...well you know what happens. There are some personal tracks on the album but Seven Star really doesn't get too emotional with his performance. On many tracks Star sounds like he's rapping slightly above whisper level. I can't say its bad, but I really can't say its something I'd come back to. I'm going with 3 stars for now.

You do make some valid observations on this one Half. He is a a bit different from the norm to me, and has a bit of a gentle persona to him, which is not really something I would normally listen to but I do have a place for Sev, mostly because of some of the deep things he raps about, particularly the content from his previous drop "My mother and father were astronaughts" in 2004, which I got back when it came out. I'd say my fav track off Alternate Invention would have to be The 11th Commandment. The Missing is pretty good too, but his voice is a bit quiet in parts of it. I would prob give this about a 3.25-3.50 somewhere, overall. I agree with you, not any bad tracks but not a lot of good tracks either and in places his voice does get a bit drowned out in the music, depending on the track. Thanks for reviewing holmes!
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jul 2011, 9:23 am

Lounge wrote:
Half wrote:

You do make some valid observations on this one Half. He is a a bit different from the norm to me, and has a bit of a gentle persona to him, which is not really something I would normally listen to but I do have a place for Sev, mostly because of some of the deep things he raps about, particularly the content from his previous drop "My mother and father were astronaughts" in 2004, which I got back when it came out. I'd say my fav track off Alternate Invention would have to be The 11th Commandment. The Missing is pretty good too, but his voice is a bit quiet in parts of it. I would prob give this about a 3.25-3.50 somewhere, overall. I agree with you, not any bad tracks but not a lot of good tracks either and in places his voice does get a bit drowned out in the music, depending on the track. Thanks for reviewing holmes!

Yeah I could see my rating going up a bit, I just haven't been in the mood for chill/laid-back stuff lately. He does go into some deep shit but like I mentioned he doesn't bring a lot of personality or emotion into his performance (in my opinion).
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jul 2011, 9:25 am

Highsmith wrote:
I don't mind Half.....the problem is, I am real selective with mixtapes. I wouldn't want to participate 75% or 65% if someone recommends something. I am going to start reviewing CDs like I use to soon but the majority of the ones I am going to review are CDs from this year or the ones I missed reviewing over the past few years.

Well we don't just review mixtapes so you might be ok, but one of the main things about this is to open people up to music they haven't heard before or wouldn't normally check out. How do you select what mixtapes you listen to?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jul 2011, 11:26 am

Lounge wrote:
A Guest wrote:

What hell, why not.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jul 2011, 5:10 pm

lol @ what hell
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jul 2011, 5:11 pm

Shaun wrote:
lol @ what hell

Oh so you down now?

Don't you know hell is other people?
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jul 2011, 10:42 pm

A Guest wrote:
Lounge wrote:
A Guest wrote:

What hell, why not.

Oh what hell, here goes then...

I have rated each track out of 5 after one or two listens.

01 - mob shit 5.0
02 - ima bury you 2.5 (not much of a track to put a rating on)
03 - 360 degrees 4.0
04 - you aint me 4.0
05 - what you though 3.75
06 - give it up 4.0
07 - i got ya 3.75 (again another short track but better than the last one [02])
08 - fully loaded 3.75

Mathematically, this gets 3.85 overall, but I could say 4 stars cos the rating got held back due to those really short tracks. But it's pretty good stuff, especially since I haven't listened to this style of rap for a lil while, it was refreshingly dope to hear. Very distinct midwest sounds. Thanks Jeff

Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jul 2011, 7:53 am

Also Jeff, what do you rate this ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jul 2011, 2:36 pm

Probably a 4 or so, I'm a huge fan of C Money though. His beats and flow are just awesome to me and I will listen to anything the guy puts out. I also enjoy Doe Boi (the dude that kinda sounds like Layzie Bone with a Chicago accent), but the other two guys in SLC don't do much for me.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
That's actually a better score than I would have given it. I had it hovering around a 2.

If you want something non hip-hop Cise, please review Shoki Shoki by Femi Kuti. One of my favorite non rap albums.

And I am open to review anything that is legally available for free. that includes streaming on band camp or I am also willing to do youtube spins if all tracks can be found on the site.

This was quite an interesting album. I literally had no idea what to expect and was pleasantly surprised yet again. The album has a big band sound infused with jazzy vibes with a hint of island flavor. Quite a combo. I'll give this album a 4. The vocals tended to get quite repetitive and repulsive as the songs went on but the musicianship was top shelf. I think this is an artist I'll explore into down the road. Appreciate the opportunity to review this.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jul 2011, 7:35 pm

Yo SRP review Cyrus Malachi - Ancient Future because Slang is still sleeping over at U-God's house.

EDIT: My bad, not every track is on youtube. Yo lundquist...you busy?
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jul 2011, 10:36 pm

Not busy at all man, what's up?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm

thelundquist wrote:
Not busy at all man, what's up?

You ok with reviewing Ancient Future by Cyrus Malachi?
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jul 2011, 10:49 pm

no prob man, you got a link?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

thelundquist wrote:
no prob man, you got a link?

Check your messages
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 10:23 am

Eyedea and Abilities - First Born

I had to listen to this a few times before my review...

I first heard of Eyedea and Abilities when they opened for Atmosphere here in Orlando. By the Throat had just dropped so they played songs off of that...I wasn't really feeling it but I peeped their other albums just for kicks but never really took a good listen. After listening to First Born closely, I def wanna go back and re-listen to Oliver Hart and E&A. This album was real dope to me. I feel like it's one of those albums that you have to have the time to listen to all the way through to let it soak in. Although none of the tracks really stand out, IMO, you always wanna keep listening. No song made me wanna push ff. All the lyrics are on point and intriguing and the stories are tight. Abilities is sick on the beats and cuts. It reminds me a lot of earlier Atmosphere circa God Loves Ugly. I give it a 4.5. I feel like it deserves a high rating because I actually found myself wanting to keep driving around the block and finish listening to the songs. And it's been a great album to burn a ride out to...and that's always a plus in my book.

Favorites:
Liquid Sovereignty
Blindly Fishing
Big Shots
Void-Internal Theory
Read Wiped In Blue

Memorable quote:
"the ladder to paradise is infested with parasites" from Void-Internal Theory

RIP Eyedea
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 8:58 pm

Looking for that Cyrus Malachi and see if I can do good for ya Halfy, in the mean time you should review www.psychoward.com by Psychoward
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 9:00 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Looking for that Cyrus Malachi and see if I can do good for ya Halfy, in the mean time you should review www.psychoward.com by Psychoward

Ok, will do. I guess you and lund will be dropping reviews, it will be interesting. After I review that I got something for Cise to review...he might have already checked it though, he knows what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 11:45 pm

I'm bending the rules a bit here, but I was requested to review an album by a user that would like their identity concealed because they aren't interested in reviewing "this week"...well, okay then. I would put this in the chatbox thread, but I would like Cise to review "Every Day" by The Cinematic Orchestra, so I'm putting the review here. Don't worry I'll be putting up a Psychoward review pretty soon, probably tomorrow morning.

D.Black - Ali'Yah (First Impressions)

This album reminded me of the last album I reviewed(Seven Star - Alternate Invention), so Anonymous, check that out if you haven't before, you may like it more than I did. Also, Lounge, you should check this D.Black album out if you haven't before. D.Black sounds like a mix of Kweli and Blu on the mic, and although he didn't drop a lot of lines that really caught my ear on this album, he matched up his flow with the beats pretty well, and put some energy into his performance. I enjoy a lot of the beats on here, they are mostly jazz-influenced, but with some power behind them. Actually, when listening to a lot of these tracks I was reminded of Nicolay's contributions to The Foreign Exchange's Connected album. The subject matter is basically what you'd expect from a modern "conscious" hip hop album - socioeconomic issues, politics, spirituality, and personal stories. Of course there's the obligatory "where I've been and where I'm going" track. If anything this is probably my biggest complaint with the album. D.Black isn't really saying anything new or putting a unique spin on things...at least in my opinion. However, I do like this album because it does grab my attention, has some energy, and is quite consistent. There are some tracks with strong R&B influences, but they aren't too strong to the point that I don't like them. I give this 4 stars, and I encourage Anonymous to post in the thread at some point and give/receive recs and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jul 2011, 12:38 am

Tran has been trying to shove this album down our throats for years.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jul 2011, 4:15 am

LOL. Indeed
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jul 2011, 8:05 am

LOL @ Tran trying to remain a secret.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review That Album
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next