Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fugees - The Score

Go down 
+8
Highsmith
PKT
thelundquist
Tic706
Myestro
parker lewis
KJ Styles
Wayne
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeMon 01 Aug 2011, 8:17 am

Man, I've fell in love with this album all over again (which has been part of my collection since its release in 96). I've been bumping this last Wednesday and probably will be bumping it for the remainder of the week. It's still timeless material, as Wyclef, Lauryn, and Pras put in some of their best work ever, true 5 star album and my 11th favorite album of all time!

Fugees - The Score 41WRnn-u3CL._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeMon 01 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

I love the Score as well. That sentiment isn't shared much in this forum. Fuck em though, you and I recognize the real, Wayne!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeMon 01 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

I, also, regard this album quite highly.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeMon 01 Aug 2011, 10:43 pm

I regard it highly as well...just not 5-stars highly...
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeMon 01 Aug 2011, 11:19 pm

Can't see playing this album over and over again but when you have some time to miss it I seem to appreciate it more. Not 5 stars at all but 4.25-4.5 seems realistic.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeTue 02 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I love the Score as well. That sentiment isn't shared much in this forum. Fuck em though, you and I recognize the real, Wayne!

Right on KJ. Another thing I was thinking about was Fugees doing one of the greatest "upgrades" in hip hop history. When you listen to their debut "Blunted On Reality", they were on some other ish, respectively, and although it did give us two classics in the Nappy Heads remix and Vocab, that album was largely a disappointment. Fast forward to 96, they totally changed up their style (for the best) and enjoyed deserved success as a result.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeTue 02 Aug 2011, 11:42 pm

Yeah, I would rate it just under 5...4.5-4.75, but I still consider it a classic.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
thelundquist

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 12:04 am

It's a 5 for me. Every track is dope except for one of the Fu-ge-la remixes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
PKT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 10:56 am

I haven't listened this in a long time. But "Ready or not" was one of the first rap songs I ever liked. I still love it. This album is about 4-5 stars for me.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

I can't see giving this a 5 either. I'll go with 4.5 IMO....definitely has good replay value but some songs don't measure up to the highest highs of the album.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

It's not 5 stars for me. The Fu-Gee-La remixes did not need to be included, and I can do without The Beast and Family Business to a lesser extent. The album has at least 5 or 6 tracks worthy of 5 stars though.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 5:16 pm

thelundquist wrote:

This is the exact way I feel. A Top 50 album of all time easily IMO.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

No Woman No Cry and Mista Mista are fails, and there're a few weak verses here & there. As I said, though, I do consider it a classic and only take off about a quarter star.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 6:50 pm

thelundquist wrote:

The Fu-Gee-La remixes aren't that bad IMO. They can't touch the original that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 7:45 pm

Wayne wrote:
thelundquist wrote:

The Fu-Gee-La remixes aren't that bad IMO. They can't touch the original that's for sure.

I just don't like the 'Sly & Robbie Mix' one. The others are cool.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 7:58 pm

parker lewis wrote:
No Woman No Cry and Mista Mista are fails, and there're a few weak verses here & there. As I said, though, I do consider it a classic and only take off about a quarter star.

No Woman No Cry is GREAT!! Wyclef isn't Bob Marley but he does a terrific rendition of the song nonetheless. I consider Mista Mista a skit, and an entertaining one at that.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 8:06 pm

parker lewis wrote:

That sums up my feelings as well.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 8:14 pm

I gave this a spin today and I will agree with Parker...No Woman, No Cry & Mista Mista don't work for me. The original version of Fu Gee La was great, the 2 remixes do nothing for it. A CD with 4 iffy songs can't be a 5 star album but that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

I think the massive highs of this album probably shade some people's opinions of it.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 8:45 pm

Lows to some aren't lows to all. There isn't a bad song on the album imo. I don't like the beat to the S&R remix, that's my only problem with the CD.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

thelundquist wrote:
Lows to some aren't lows to all. There isn't a bad song on the album imo. I don't like the beat to the S&R remix, that's my only problem with the CD.

I didn't say there had to be any lows on the album. I've got plenty of albums with no lows that I wouldn't call classic. There's degrees of quality. I can spin a 4 star song almost as much as a 5 star song depending on the time/cd/etc. I'm simply stating that for some everything looks better if it's next to something great. And the opposite could also be said.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 9:01 pm

understood
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 9:03 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I think the massive highs of this album probably shade some people's opinions of it.

Co sign
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeThu 04 Aug 2011, 10:05 pm

thelundquist wrote:
Lows to some aren't lows to all. There isn't a bad song on the album imo

Co-Sign, I enjoy every track on the album as well. The Fu-Gee-La remixes weren't needed but they don't take away from the album IMO because they're just remixes and at the end of the album. This is 5 stars easily, and one of the best albums of 1996.

Lauryn on Zealots>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeFri 05 Aug 2011, 4:02 pm

"The Fu-Gee-La remixes weren't needed but they don't take away from the album IMO because they're just remixes and at the end of the album."

lol
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeFri 05 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
parker lewis wrote:

No Woman No Cry is GREAT!! Wyclef isn't Bob Marley but he does a terrific rendition of the song nonetheless. I consider Mista Mista a skit, and an entertaining one at that.

Cosign on this one KJ.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitimeSat 06 Aug 2011, 12:43 am

If it's part of the album, then it will affect the overall rating of the album. The Fu Gee La remixes and Mista, Mista are part of the album...even if they came after the Manifest/Outro....You can think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, if anyone can objectively listen to these 3 tracks, you can't tell me that they don't take away from the album....Just my take
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fugees - The Score Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugees - The Score   Fugees - The Score Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fugees - The Score
Page 1 of 1