Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game - The R.E.D. Album

Go down 
+8
Wayne
KJ Styles
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
SyRuP Sippa
thelundquist
Tic706
T. Myers
Half
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Rate it
5 stars
Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
4.75 stars
Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
4.5 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
4.25 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
4 stars
Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap67%Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 67% [ 4 ]
3.75 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
3.5 stars
Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
3.25 stars
Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 1 ]
3 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
Below 3 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 2:40 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I never said any of that. You're taking it to places I'm not. I don't care WHY I rate an album the way I do. But if I like an album alot because of memories and rate it say 4.5 - then other albums I rate 4.5 I should like just as much. If not, then what does a rating mean? Shouldn't ratings be comparable to each other? Isn't that why we give numerical ratings? If a 4 means one thing in one context and another in another context then the system is pointless and useless.

I can understand where rating albums the same means liking them about the same. The difference here is that you are personally defining how big the gap between 4 stars and 4.5 stars is for people.
For some person 4 stars might mean "good", whereas for someone else it means "great". Furthermore, I'm not too huge on ratings myself, I prefer discussing stuff to comparing numbers. I don't view someone's rating as too important. People change their ratings all the time. It is useful to help organize your thoughts on how you felt about a bunch of albums, which is the main reason I use it, but I know my feelings on albums has changed over time, and in some cases stuff I initially liked a lot I end up disliking, and vice versa. There's no universal system of rating, however frustrating that may be.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

If you are using numbers there is a quantifiable distance between numbers and if you choose that rating system then you should at least try to stick to that.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
If you are using numbers there is a quantifiable distance between numbers and if you choose that rating system then you should at least try to stick to that.

The distance is quantifiable but the distance varies from person to person.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 4:45 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I like the R.E.D. album much more than LAX personally. After about 3 full spins, I just took like 6-7 songs on it, put them on my iPod and haven't bumped the rest since. I copped the R.E.D. album on Tuesday and I've already spun it about 10 times and I'm still not tired of it. I don't like EVERY song on it, but I like more of it than I do LAX.

That's ridiculous, No Game could be worthy of that many spins ever, let alone in a 4 day span.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 6:01 pm

Doctor's Advocate and Documentary are worthy of plenty of spins. LAX and RED not so much. Game is getting too much of a pop star now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

Justin Linker wrote:
Doctor's Advocate and Documentary are worthy of plenty of spins.

Cosign on this.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 7:51 pm

Half wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

That makes no sense at all. If you are going to do that then drop a point system altogether and just call things "great" and "good" and say you like or love...
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Half wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

That makes no sense at all. If you are going to do that then drop a point system altogether and just call things "great" and "good" and say you like or love...

I don't see how that doesn't make sense, but whatever. And I usually attach explanations to how I rate stuff on here, and I already explained the sole reason I use numbers. And besides some people just don't want to read things on here and a number is probably the only thing they'll look at. We just look at rating stuff differently. Thanks for discussing it.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 8:03 pm

It doesn't make sense to me because I feel that if you are going to adapt any system there has to be consistency within whatever system you adapt. The gap between one measuring unit and another measuring unit must be consistent.

It doesn't make sense to me that you can say that the "distance varies from person to person" - that just makes no sense. Distance is distance. Math is math. For me to say that for someone the difference between good is a 3 compared to great is a 4, but to someone else good is a 4, great is a 4.5, etc. I get what you are trying to say - but to me that's just illogical. If you are going to adapt a five point scale for example, but restrict your range to the 3 to 5 area, then you aren't really adapting a five point scale and should just go with a different system.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 8:23 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
It doesn't make sense to me because I feel that if you are going to adapt any system there has to be consistency within whatever system you adapt. The gap between one measuring unit and another measuring unit must be consistent.

It doesn't make sense to me that you can say that the "distance varies from person to person" - that just makes no sense. Distance is distance. Math is math. For me to say that for someone the difference between good is a 3 compared to great is a 4, but to someone else good is a 4, great is a 4.5, etc. I get what you are trying to say - but to me that's just illogical. If you are going to adapt a five point scale for example, but restrict your range to the 3 to 5 area, then you aren't really adapting a five point scale and should just go with a different system.

For me personally it's like

5 stars- extremely dope, personal classic

4 stars - great

3 stars - not bad

2 stars - weak

1 star - garbage

And then I'd throw in .25, .5, .75 increments if I feel somewhat on the fence or reluctant about giving a certain rating.

To apply it to this Game discussion, I rate his albums as follows:

The Documentary 4.75 (I really like this, but I can't bring myself to giving it the classic tag for some reason)

Doc's Advocate 4.5 (Dope, a couple of weak tracks such as the title track knock it down a bit and keep it from being just as good as Documentary)

Red album 4 stars (see my review on page 1)

LAX 3.5 stars (Some nice standout tracks, but much more inconsistent than any of the above albums and I was highly disappointed after Doc's advocate - Red album might be getting the benefit of having much lower expectations, but hey that's why ratings aren't always set in stone. At the moment though, this is Game's weakest album to me.)

Also, 4.5 for me means it could have been a personal classic but a couple of small things keep it from being so.

4 stars for me means the album is quite good, a standout from the year, something I'll come back to a lot, but not near that classic area.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 8:39 pm

Where's everybody's ratings on Untold Story 1 & 2, West Coast Resurrection & G.A.M.E. or did everybody only start liking this guy when the industry told them to? I only have 2 of his first 4, but as I've said before, I was never too big on Get Low even before this guy was on the label.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

Deanie O'Banion wrote:
Where's everybody's ratings on Untold Story 1 & 2, West Coast Resurrection & G.A.M.E. or did everybody only start liking this guy when the industry told them to? I only have 2 of his first 4, but as I've said before, I was never too big on Get Low even before this guy was on the label.

I've heard Untold Story, but it's been a long time and I don't remember too much about it, don't feel comfortable giving it a rating right now. I remember liking it though. I've also heard a bunch of his mixtapes (G-Unot, R.E.D. Room, etc.)
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 8:45 pm

I wasn't trying to single you out Half, It just erks me that this is the west that they buy all around the country instead of much better product like Berner's The White Album that should be getting the national money.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

Deanie O'Banion wrote:
I wasn't trying to single you out Half, It just erks me that this is the west that they buy all around the country instead of much better product like Berner's The White Album that should be getting the national money.

I actually have that in my Spotify queue, I'll let you know what I think about it when I hear it.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm

Good stuff Half. If I still lived in Seaside I'd be going to see him live for $10 tonight, but Santa Cruz is a 3 hour drive from where I live now...no show is worth that unless I plan to spend the whole weekend or something.

Edit: Seaside! hahahahahaha. RIP to the almighty Mac.

Last edited by Deanie O'Banion on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

Deanie O'Banion wrote:

Untold Story is really dope. I lost the album a few years back, though, and haven't heard it in a long time. Only heard a few tracks off of West Ressurection and Untold Story 2. Was G.A.M.E. an actual album? I thought it was a teaser of sorts to get his name out
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 9:46 pm

Shaun wrote:
Deanie O'Banion wrote:

Untold Story is really dope. I lost the album a few years back, though, and haven't heard it in a long time. Only heard a few tracks off of West Ressurection and Untold Story 2. Was G.A.M.E. an actual album? I thought it was a teaser of sorts to get his name out

Not sure, that's one of the 2 I don't have. SRP you see my edit above yeeeeee!
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 27 Aug 2011, 1:40 am

I saw the albums that you were talking about homie but once The Documentary came out, they looked kinda iffy when I saw them at Best Buy so I passed. IMO I feel that the strong moments on LAX outweigh the strong moments on The Red Album. Game appears to me to be playing fan boy on this album. There are songs that I like which include The City, Heavy Artillery, Mama Knows, Born In The Trap, Speakers On Blast, etc but the r&b medley of songs is a big letdown IMO and on the songs that he has the guest appearances, he clearly isn't the best on the track. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't see anything above 3.5 stars for this one.

KJ, 10 times in less than a week, homie?....lls That's hard to believe, but to each his own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game - The R.E.D. Album   Game - The R.E.D. Album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game - The R.E.D. Album
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: