Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Co$$ - Before I Awoke

Go down 
3 posters

Rate it
5 stars
Co$$ - Before I Awoke Vote_lcap0%Co$$ - Before I Awoke Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
4.75 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
4.5 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
4.25 stars
Co$$ - Before I Awoke Vote_lcap100%Co$$ - Before I Awoke Vote_rcap
 100% [ 1 ]
4 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
3.75 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
3.5 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
3.25 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
3 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
Below 3 stars
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

AuthorMessage
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Co$$ - Before I Awoke Empty
PostSubject: Co$$ - Before I Awoke   Co$$ - Before I Awoke Icon_minitimeMon 29 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

Co$$ - Before I Awoke Coss-Before_I_Awoke-1

Ah this is so good. I actually heard this a while back but I felt like I needed to give it a couple more listens to really let it sink in, so much is going on in this album. I don't know a lot about Co$$, but I'm pretty sure this is his debut. And what a debut it is. First of all, the production on this album has a sound that I think is best described as refreshing. It just sounds so vibrant and fresh, never overdone, but not too simple either. It has to be some of the best and most consistent production I've heard this year, up there with Dj Quik's The Book of David and Black Up by Shabazz Palaces. I have no idea who did the beats on this, as I don't have a physical copy of this right now. I guess it sounds like a mix of Nicolay, Damu the Fudgemunk, and Nujabes. Some of the production didn't click with me right away but after a couple of listens, everything sounded just right to me. As for Co$$, he's a pretty nice MC. He sounds dope over basically all of these beats. He isn't extremely lyrical but he drops nice lines and puts energy into his performance. Even on the more laid-back tracks, Co$$ really keeps it interesting on the mic. The subject matter is really varied; it starts off sounding like West Coast Life: The Video Game, but it later switches into tracks about dreaming and perception of reality. Also interesting is his discussion of religion and spirituality and how it seems like he's really conflicted about what to believe, most clearly evidenced by placing "No Allah" right before "Scriptures". This is a top 5 release of the year for me. I can only give it 4.25 stars though because the way the album ends bothers me. I wish he would have ended the album with Before I Awoke (No Rest), but instead it goes out on 3 tracks that are just ok to me. It kills some of the momentum he had going with the album. I highly recommend this to everyone on here. I can't guarantee you'll like it but at least give it a try. I know I'll be buying a copy of this for sure.

Listen to some tracks: