Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rejected Original Album Titles

Go down 
+8
TheHazardous
D.Powell
SyRuP Sippa
T. Myers
Half
Jack of Spades
Laced With Slang
Tic706
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Rejected Original Album Titles Empty
PostSubject: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeThu 15 Sep 2011, 9:27 pm

I found some of these to be funny and interesting. How different would we view these albums if they went with the original names.

Per Ego Trip's Book Of Raplist

America's Most Blunted- Cypress Hill
Released as: Cypress Hill (self titled)

Black Little Bastards- Illegal
Released as: The Untold Truth

Black Rage- Intelligent Hoodlum
RA: Tragedy- Saga Of...

Don't Be A Faggot- Beastie Boys
RA: Licensed To Ill

Eargasms- Rage
RA: Necessary Roughness

I'm Coming Agg- Scarface
RA: World Is Yours

The Last Original bunny- Coolio
RA: It Takes A Thief

Niggamortis- Gravediggaz
RA: 6 Feet Deep

Pin The Tail On The Honkey- Da Lench Mob (LMFAO!!!!!)
RA: Guerillas In Tha Mist

Revelations- Pharcyde
RA: Labcabin

Save The Children- Rakim
RA: Don't Sweat

Smithsonian- LL Cool J
RA: Mr. Smith

Starved Bandit- Quik
RA: Safe + Sound

Three The Hard Way- Onyx
RA: All We Got Iz Us

Hell Up In Harlem- Puff Daddy
RA: No Way Out

We Fell Into A Bottle Of Plastic Shwingalokate, So We Opened A Radio Station- De La Soul
RA: De La Soul Is Dead
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeThu 15 Sep 2011, 9:37 pm

most of those are awesome and better than what it came out as
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeThu 15 Sep 2011, 9:48 pm

De la should have went with that original title.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeThu 15 Sep 2011, 10:51 pm

Pretty much all the titles are better than the OGs except for Onyx. Beastie Boys were gay for not using the OG title.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 8:05 am

Maybe it's just the fanboy in me, but Smithsonian seems like such a great title for an LL album.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 8:09 am

I can't believe ya'll...lol. I'm glad most of them changed the name. Pin The Tail On The Honkey? Three The Hard Way? Eargasms? Smithsion? We Fell Into A Bottle? Starved Bandit? See thats why you guys are not rappers or in the industry. Those names are corny as shit.

I did like the rejected title for Cypress Hill a lot. Thats way better than just self titled. That Face one came off generic but so is the known title.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 8:22 am

I'm not sure what's so corny with Smithsonian? It's a play on his name. It's epic. The Smithsonian is an american institution much like LL is. Really, only someone with an ego/cockiness like LL would name their album that. It fits him like a glove. I can only assume he changed it for legal reasons.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

Its corny because his last name is Smith and its almost too obvious to call it Smithsonian. Not saying Mr Smith is exactly changing the game either...lol. And its never cool in hip hop to associate yourself with something that reps "White America" being black from the inner city. It's like an unspoken but understood rule.

Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 10:37 am

If that's not one of the most ignorant things I've heard... a national museum reps "white america"...sure... I guess that makes all the blacks who go there sell outs... lmao... that's the type of ignorant thinking that keeps people from making progress... and the title is dope and better than the title to the last 5 LL albums...
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 10:48 am

TicNitty706 wrote:
Its corny because his last name is Smith and its almost too obvious to call it Smithsonian. Not saying Mr Smith is exactly changing the game either...lol. And its never cool in hip hop to associate yourself with something that reps "White America" being black from the inner city. It's like an unspoken but understood rule.

LL has a track record for these types of album titles. I can't speak for the man, but it's the same person who released an album called G.O.A.T., Phenomenon, and The DEFinition. LL obviously feels confident enough to make these types of statements. It's big, epic, and cocky. It's what i love about LL. Either way, Smithsonian speaks more volumes about LL than Mr. Smith, and i don't think it's too obvious of a choice An example of too obvious would be an artist named Snoop Doggy Dogg releasing an album called Doggystyle. Everyone could see that one coming a mile away.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 12:32 pm

T. Myers wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

LL has a track record for these types of album titles. I can't speak for the man, but it's the same person who released an album called G.O.A.T., Phenomenon, and The DEFinition. LL obviously feels confident enough to make these types of statements. It's big, epic, and cocky. It's what i love about LL. Either way, Smithsonian speaks more volumes about LL than Mr. Smith, and i don't think it's too obvious of a choice An example of too obvious would be an artist named Snoop Doggy Dogg releasing an album called Doggystyle. Everyone could see that one coming a mile away.

gotta co-sign this one Terry....
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 12:39 pm

I hear what you saying Myers. But its still corny to me. Not saying it would not have made sense to use it.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 3:21 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
I found some of these to be funny and interesting. How different would we view these albums if they went with the original names.

Per Ego Trip's Book Of Raplist

America's Most Blunted- Cypress Hill
Released as: Cypress Hill (self titled)

Black Little Bastards- Illegal
Released as: The Untold Truth

Black Rage- Intelligent Hoodlum
RA: Tragedy- Saga Of...

Don't Be A Faggot- Beastie Boys
RA: Licensed To Ill

Eargasms- Rage
RA: Necessary Roughness

I'm Coming Agg- Scarface
RA: World Is Yours

The Last Original bunny- Coolio
RA: It Takes A Thief

Niggamortis- Gravediggaz
RA: 6 Feet Deep

Pin The Tail On The Honkey- Da Lench Mob (LMFAO!!!!!)
RA: Guerillas In Tha Mist

Revelations- Pharcyde
RA: Labcabin

Save The Children- Rakim
RA: Don't Sweat

Smithsonian- LL Cool J
RA: Mr. Smith

Starved Bandit- Quik
RA: Safe + Sound

Three The Hard Way- Onyx
RA: All We Got Iz Us

Hell Up In Harlem- Puff Daddy
RA: No Way Out

We Fell Into A Bottle Of Plastic Shwingalokate, So We Opened A Radio Station- De La Soul
RA: De La Soul Is Dead

The rest they could've kept. Some of those name changes were warranted. If I remember correctly out of state 6 Feet Deep was released as Niggamortis.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
I can't believe ya'll...lol. I'm glad most of them changed the name. Pin The Tail On The Honkey? Three The Hard Way? Eargasms? Smithsion? We Fell Into A Bottle? Starved Bandit? See thats why you guys are not rappers or in the industry. Those names are corny as shit.

I did like the rejected title for Cypress Hill a lot. Thats way better than just self titled. That Face one came off generic but so is the known title.

Are you a rapper or in the industry?
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 3:52 pm

Don't you know Lil' Kev?
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 4:10 pm

I was a rapper and near the industry....lol. I just meant there is a whole creative process most of the time when naming your albums, song titles, rap name, etc etc. Also they changed the title due to rejection or some may have changed them on their own. Us not being around the industry for that process may find some of those titles dope. But it may be different if we were actually on the inside track.

I mean i'm all for saying fuck the man but Pin The Tail On The Honkey? That shit is funny and corny. Three The Hard Way has been used and referenced in media culture over and over. Straved Artist does not fit the album content of what is Safe + Sound. Eargasms? GTFOH.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 4:51 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
I was a rapper and near the industry....lol. I just meant there is a whole creative process most of the time when naming your albums, song titles, rap name, etc etc. Also they changed the title due to rejection or some may have changed them on their own. Us not being around the industry for that process may find some of those titles dope. But it may be different if we were actually on the inside track.

I mean i'm all for saying fuck the man but Pin The Tail On The Honkey? That shit is funny and corny. Three The Hard Way has been used and referenced in media culture over and over. Straved Artist does not fit the album content of what is Safe + Sound. Eargasms? GTFOH.

I honestly didn't know you were a rapper man, that's my bad. And I can see your point, they probably would have people like WTF over some of those titles. I didn't look at it from the business side of things, I was just going by entertainment value for me personally.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 5:16 pm

lmao... come on kev... you called yourself darkside creed or some shit.. not exactly a smart name from the business side of things either... and plenty of rappers have made a name with controversy... natas.... killll the fetus... psychotic genius... south park psycho... terrorists, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 5:50 pm

Gravediggaz did release N***amortis internationally, and if I'm not mistaken, that was prior to the US release of 6 Feet Deep because the international version had "Pass The Shovel" which I believe didn't make it on the US release because of sample clearance issues.

And album title names are pretty meaningless if you ask me. A rose by any other name...
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 6:25 pm

There are albums that are great albums but have questionable names. At the same time if this is your first time on the scene it can be a detractor e.g. Lil' B's album. If you haven't heard Lil B before that then you're definitely not messing with him now.

Personally I like the title Eargasms, however I've never heard Necessary Roughness so that title might not fit with the vibe of the album especially considering it was made on Deathrow. I like Three the Hard Way, but I concede that it has been overused. Pin the Tail on the Honkey, that's just corny. At most it can be the name of a track but not an album.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 6:33 pm

Would these titles get rejected?

Remember When You "Accidentally" Murdered My Dog? - MC Esoteric
Condoms Are Wack - Eazy-E
Illmatic - Soulja Boy
Cardiac Arrest - Big Pun
I Don't Want White People To Buy This - Kanye West
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 6:37 pm

Condoms Are Wack would...because even though sex sells...it's still taboo.

Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 6:39 pm

Half wrote:

Illmatic - Soulja Boy
Cardiac Arrest - Big Pun

I Don't Want White People To Buy This (The Miseducation Of Kanye West) - Kanye West
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 6:52 pm

In My Lifetime Vol. Forty Years Old - Jay-Z
Still Stillmatic - Nas
Now I'm Gonna Get Attention - Nas
Untitled.... II - Nas
Anal Sex - Lil' B
Rap And Pussy Equals Success - Mystikal
Child Support Music - Scarface
iScammed Ya Mama - Willie D
Documentary II - The Game
Life Gives You Emos, Make Fans - Atmosphere
Studio Outtakes I Should Have Put In The Recycle Bin Full (Blu)um - Blu
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 7:23 pm

ColdBoy456 wrote:
In My Lifetime Vol. Forty Years Old - Jay-Z
Still Stillmatic - Nas
Now I'm Gonna Get Attention - Nas
Untitled.... II - Nas
Anal Sex - Lil' B
Rap And Pussy Equals Success - Mystikal
Child Support Music - Scarface
iScammed Ya Mama - Willie D
Documentary II - The Game
Life Gives You Emos, Make Fans - Atmosphere
Studio Outtakes I Should Have Put In The Recycle Bin Full (Blu)um - Blu
[b]

Laughing My Ass Off
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 8:04 pm

Shaun wrote:
Half wrote:

Illmatic - Soulja Boy
Cardiac Arrest - Big Pun

I Don't Want White People To Buy This (The Miseducation Of Kanye West) - Kanye West

Haha thanks man, it really did need that extra touch haha
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 8:42 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:

I agree, most those Original titles were stupid. Could you imagine people referring to the Beastie Boy's classic as Dont be a faggot?

Here some others

Iron Supreme Magnetic--GFK
RA--Iron Man

bunny-Nas
RA--Nas
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 8:46 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:

Wow, Kev, I never heard that before. So I guess the Carter Adminastration, Rock-A-Fella, Phantom of the Rapra, Boot Camp Click are sell-outs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

TheHazardous wrote:
There are albums that are great albums but have questionable names. At the same time if this is your first time on the scene it can be a detractor e.g. Lil' B's album. If you haven't heard Lil B before that then you're definitely not messing with him now.

Personally I like the title Eargasms, however I've never heard Necessary Roughness so that title might not fit with the vibe of the album especially considering it was made on Deathrow. I like Three the Hard Way, but I concede that it has been overused. Pin the Tail on the Honkey, that's just corny. At most it can be the name of a track but not an album.

An album title seriously holds that much sway over your opinion of an artist? Or, for that matter, their sexual preference? I could give a fuck as long as the music is dope.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm

Dang! Trotter wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

Wow, Kev, I never heard that before. So I guess the Carter Adminastration, Rock-A-Fella, Phantom of the Rapra, Boot Camp Click are sell-outs

Maybe I should have put "was" instead of "it"....lol. I was just saying it wasn't the "coolest" thing to do. I never said anything about sell out and do not even know where you guys got that from my statement. Trott if you are from the black inner city or "hood" cats as a whole do not discuss none of that type of shit. And was not acceptable or embracing to those "foreign" things. I'm not defending that thought process or condoning it just stating a fact to what I have seen and heard.

Show me how many black artist openly embrace white america idealogy or ways and at the sametime are embraced by the black rap community? In the 90's and 80's mostly I mean.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 10:22 pm

the only ones im glad were changed were Rakim, Tragedy, and Pharcyde
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeSat 17 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
the only ones im glad were changed were Rakim, Tragedy, and Pharcyde

ditto
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeSat 17 Sep 2011, 9:27 pm

A Guest wrote:
TheHazardous wrote:

An album title seriously holds that much sway over your opinion of an artist? Or, for that matter, their sexual preference? I could give a fuck as long as the music is dope.

I was speaking in a generic sense. Having a wack title won't necessarily stop me from peeping your work but it is a deterrent. You won't be in the front of the line unless you're an artist I listen to regularly or somebody I trust co-signs for you. For example Universal Mind Control, that title is wack. I considered hearing because it was Common until the feedback said it wack. I eventually bumped it much later. That shit was straight coaster material. If that had been a new artist it would've sat right there without further review. I will never listen to Canibus' Mind Control album.

As far as sexual preference goes, personally you just better be able to spit but at the same time I have no artists in repertoire that I'm aware that are openly gay male or female. How about yourself?

But on the realistic tip concerning the general audience of hip-hop listeners can you really say up to this point a rapper admitting they are gay is not the kiss of death for a rap career? The issue of homophobia is barely addressed much less has serious advocates behind it short of somebody getting dropped it would be the passion for the moment and go back to business as usual. No celebrity in hip-hop is claiming that as a primary cause that I'm aware of.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeSat 17 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

It's interesting you mentioned Common then said you weren't aware of a rapper embracing homosexuality as a cause...he has a whole song about it and has spoken publically several times. Also, openly bisexual gold rapper Nicki Minaj??? Really?

But anyway, I'd rather listen to Nicki Minaj or Imani the Misfit than a lot of shit on the radio.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011, 10:03 am

A Guest wrote:
It's interesting you mentioned Common then said you weren't aware of a rapper embracing homosexuality as a cause...he has a whole song about it and has spoken publically several times. Also, openly bisexual gold rapper Nicki Minaj??? Really?

But anyway, I'd rather listen to Nicki Minaj or Imani the Misfit than a lot of shit on the radio.

Lesbianism is more accepted in hip hop, also excepted in machismo culture
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011, 10:49 am

Dang! Trotter wrote:
A Guest wrote:

Lesbianism is more accepted in hip hop, also excepted in machismo culture

Nicki claims it but I haven't seen it. And that being said in macho hip-hop world a chick digging chicks who still digs dicks isn't a threat. I take her claim with a grain of salt, she has said "that she does not date nor have sex with women", Ms. Minaj quoted by Out Magazine. That's like claiming to have pro-baller skill but have never stepped on the court. Admittedly she says she doesn't date dudes either so there might be a claim for asexuality in action but I kind of doubt it.

Common made a track about it on Electric Circus but I was unaware he was an active advocate for the cause. What organizations is he affiliated with? Gay-Straight Alliance, etc? As a culture I still don't think we're there yet.

Right now the biggest LGBT hip-hop star is a half-ass bisexual. Is that really a leg up for the cause?
Back to top Go down
Blades
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
Blades

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011, 12:26 pm

Somebody said Jamaica Queens in this mothafucka, I don't give a fuck
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011, 9:40 pm

If Will Smith dropped an LP called "Smithsonian" it would hit #1 and Rolling Stone would call the title brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rejected Original Album Titles   Rejected Original Album Titles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rejected Original Album Titles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: