Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Artists you find boring but talented

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2009-05-26
Age : 40
Location : Kentucky

PostSubject: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 22 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

Any of you have an artists you think is really pretty good but for some reason they bore the hell out of you?

Mine would be Currensy. I liked pilot talk 1 & 2 and just got Weekend At Bernies. As good as I think these albums are, I just don't really reach for them all that much. I kind of feel the same way about Currensy as KRob has said he feels about the Cunninlynguists.

Who do you find boring, but talented?
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2445
Join date : 2011-03-01
Age : 34
Location : Bunnyhead, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 22 Oct 2011, 1:47 pm

Nas
Cunninlynguists (well sometimes, not all the time)
Little Brother
Blu
Fashawn
Lupe Fiasco
J-Live (just can't get into him much save for one song)
Lone Sharks
Kendrick Lamar


and basically a ton more in that same school... and I guess I find them talented to varying degrees... most can put together rhymes.. that usually takes some talent...
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 22 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

Bronze Nazareth comes immediately to mind. Except for Remarkable Timing. And, I haven't heard the new one. Which basically means I just think Great Migration is boring. So I'm not actually even on topic. Nevermind.


Last edited by parker lewis on Sat 22 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
avatar

Posts : 5489
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 40
Location : Soul Heaven

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 22 Oct 2011, 4:04 pm

Ras Kass
De La Soul
Mac Dre
Kendrick Lamar
Masta Ace
Wale
Gza
Trae The Truth
Slimm Thug
Co$$
Sean Price
J Live

_________________
There's A God On The Mic
"Pretty soon hip hop won't be so nice, no Ice Cube...just Vanilla Ice"
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
avatar

Posts : 2589
Join date : 2009-05-06
Location : Between a rock and hard place

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:07 pm

J-Live
All female lyricist except Lauryn Hill
J-Trends
Crooked I
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
avatar

Posts : 1774
Join date : 2010-07-31
Age : 34
Location : Palm Bay, FLA : Home of the Bomb Hay

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Mon 24 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm

I also agree with CunninLynguists and more recently Dopplegangaz. I could probably even throw in cats like Bro Ali and Atmosphere. I like both of those a lot but I cant listen to that shit all the time.

We should do another thread on artists you find fun to listen to but are fairly untalented.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 121
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:46 pm

Almost every rapper from New York.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
avatar

Posts : 2589
Join date : 2009-05-06
Location : Between a rock and hard place

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 30 Oct 2011, 1:14 pm

Mr. Motherfucker wrote:
Almost every rapper from New York.

Just about every rapper everywhere else except the South. The South gives me a good laugh
Back to top Go down
Blades
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
avatar

Posts : 488
Join date : 2010-09-23
Location : New England

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:00 am

Fabolous
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Mon 31 Oct 2011, 1:30 pm

Wanduras wrote:
I also agree with CunninLynguists and more recently Dopplegangaz. I could probably even throw in cats like Bro Ali and Atmosphere. I like both of those a lot but I cant listen to that shit all the time.

We should do another thread on artists you find fun to listen to but are fairly untalented.

start it up, sounds like a good idea
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 820
Join date : 2010-01-09
Age : 44
Location : Hartford

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:45 pm

Eminem
Brother Ali
U God

The first three to come to mind.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 05 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

Mr. Motherfucker wrote:
Almost every rapper from New York.

SMH, eat a dick Linker!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:42 pm

Pretty much every "true school" artist.

and yeah, what Linker said about 90% of rappers from New York.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 06 Nov 2011, 3:47 am

You can eat a fat dick too, Jeff.

As for my list....

Ras Kass
K-Rino
Gift Of Gab
Canibus (sometimes)
MF Doom (sometimes)
Sean Price (save for his Heltah Skeltah/Fab 5 material)
Odd Squad
Slaughterhouse (I feel they sound better individually than as a group)
Yelawolf
Devin The Dude
Jedi Mind Tricks
Army Of The Pharoahs (except Celph Titled)

Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 820
Join date : 2010-01-09
Age : 44
Location : Hartford

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Fri 09 Dec 2011, 10:35 pm

Yeah, Sean Price is a good one to list.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

KJ... first off let me start with a disclaimer... I'm not trying to instigate or insult you. This is an honest question. Do you think that sometimes you can be stubborn about giving new emcees a chance? I mean, there could be plenty of factors that give you a preconceived notion about an artist, and that could be tough to overcome.

For example, a lot of people have been promoting AOTP over the years. Maybe these are folks you generally disagree with, or maybe they've made some claims about AOTP that you find unlikely or won't even consider. Then, when you finally give them a chance, they're starting out at a deficit with you. Next, Celph drops an album with Buck which helps propel him into an area where you're more likely to recognize credibility.

I'm just thinking this because I find it really interesting that you would call Reef, Apathy, Kamachi, or Esoteric boring emcees. I really bet that if you dig into these guys' music with a neutral thought process you'll be impressed. I say this with a pretty good idea of what music you do like.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 10 Dec 2011, 3:47 pm

KJ contradicts himself so fucking much it's ridiculous so any attempt to understand his taste is suspect at best because it's impossible to tell when he's being sincere.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 10 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

parker lewis wrote:
KJ... first off let me start with a disclaimer... I'm not trying to instigate or insult you. This is an honest question. Do you think that sometimes you can be stubborn about giving new emcees a chance? I mean, there could be plenty of factors that give you a preconceived notion about an artist, and that could be tough to overcome.

For example, a lot of people have been promoting AOTP over the years. Maybe these are folks you generally disagree with, or maybe they've made some claims about AOTP that you find unlikely or won't even consider. Then, when you finally give them a chance, they're starting out at a deficit with you. Next, Celph drops an album with Buck which helps propel him into an area where you're more likely to recognize credibility.

I'm just thinking this because I find it really interesting that you would call Reef, Apathy, Kamachi, or Esoteric boring emcees. I really bet that if you dig into these guys' music with a neutral thought process you'll be impressed. I say this with a pretty good idea of what music you do like.

I've liked some of what AOTP has done, but not all. Maybe boring is the wrong word to use, but of all the AOTP that I've heard, only NineteenNaughtyNow has still held replay value. They're definitely not wack though. Maybe I need to hear more.

And it's funny how you criticize me for my list, yet Jeff and Linker say that 90% of emcees from NY are boring and you don't call them out for that? SMFH! That's crazy talk right there.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 10 Dec 2011, 4:55 pm

Dude, you listed Yelawolf but here is an exact quote from the Radioactive album:

I'm feelin this album. Bumped it 3 times to get a true feel for it and I'll say it's a 4 star effort. I agree with Half's strong and weak tracks except I like Animal and I'd throw in Hard White as a banger as well. I'd rate it higher if not for the cheesy hooks, but Yela spits fire on most of the album.


Yela spits fire=Yela is boring but talented...hmmm...4 stars for a boring effort MAYNE

And yeah, 90% of the shit that you listen to coming out of new york (ie mainstream shit from the 90's) is boring as fuck to me. I enjoy hard working underground artists out of NYC but CL Smooth could put a crankhead to sleep.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sat 10 Dec 2011, 5:52 pm

I wasnt really criticizing anything, KJ. AOTP just seems like something you would like, particularly the 4 I mentioned.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:57 am

A Guest wrote:
Dude, you listed Yelawolf but here is an exact quote from the Radioactive album:

I'm feelin this album. Bumped it 3 times to get a true feel for it and I'll say it's a 4 star effort. I agree with Half's strong and weak tracks except I like Animal and I'd throw in Hard White as a banger as well. I'd rate it higher if not for the cheesy hooks, but Yela spits fire on most of the album.


Yela spits fire=Yela is boring but talented...hmmm...4 stars for a boring effort MAYNE

And yeah, 90% of the shit that you listen to coming out of new york (ie mainstream shit from the 90's) is boring as fuck to me. I enjoy hard working underground artists out of NYC but CL Smooth could put a crankhead to sleep.

1st of all, CL Smooth is murking Yelawolf

Secondly, as for my comment, Radioactive is the only album I liked by him, prior to that I thought he was boring. He's still the 2nd weakest MC from Shady/Aftermath, only ahead of Tony Yayo.

If you honestly think 90% of NY hip hop is boring, then I no longer respect your hip-hop views. Not that I ever really did to begin with, but your hip-hop pass is revoked as far as I'm concerned. You say that I have bias? That's bullshit. It's more like you're biased AGAINST the East Coast. Go ram a cob up your ass, Cornfed.

Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
avatar

Posts : 3549
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 41
Location : Yogi's Mama's Bedroom

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:00 am

parker lewis wrote:
I wasnt really criticizing anything, KJ. AOTP just seems like something you would like, particularly the 4 I mentioned.

I'll check more of their stuff out. Vinnie Paz is definitely hit or miss though and it's crazy how he seemingly gets more buzz than anyone coming out of that camp. Apathy is pretty dope, what would you rec from him?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:05 am

Paz is basically a niche rapper who works his ass off, that's why you hear so much about him. I've never thought he was amazing, though he does touch on a lot of topics I'm interested in.

I would say check out Ap's Eastern Philosophy. Heavy on the boom bap, a wide array of lyrical subject matter, and mic skills through the roof. Most fans rate it at least close to 5/5. As always, hit up the tracks on YouTube or spotify before you buy of you're skeptical.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
avatar

Posts : 5489
Join date : 2010-12-29
Age : 40
Location : Soul Heaven

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:25 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
parker lewis wrote:
I wasnt really criticizing anything, KJ. AOTP just seems like something you would like, particularly the 4 I mentioned.

I'll check more of their stuff out. Vinnie Paz is definitely hit or miss though and it's crazy how he seemingly gets more buzz than anyone coming out of that camp. Apathy is pretty dope, what would you rec from him?

KJ as much as we have talked about Ap I thought you been checked him out. I agree with Parker about Eastern Philosphy. But if you want something newer I highly rec Honkey Kong. It gives EP a real run for tis money. His 2nd album is his weakest but still a good one. It has a more mainsteram feel to it.

_________________
There's A God On The Mic
"Pretty soon hip hop won't be so nice, no Ice Cube...just Vanilla Ice"
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 240
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

Honkey Kong destroys Eastern Philosophy

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:23 pm

I prefer Honkey Kong to eastern Philosophy

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1302
Join date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:23 pm

I haven't heard either, no vote
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3500
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 35
Location : Bankhead SHAWTY and we'll take yo COOKIE!

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:55 pm

I like EP.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:00 pm

parker lewis wrote:
Paz is basically a niche rapper who works his ass off, that's why you hear so much about him. I've never thought he was amazing, though he does touch on a lot of topics I'm interested in.

I would say check out Ap's Eastern Philosophy. Heavy on the boom bap, a wide array of lyrical subject matter, and mic skills through the roof. Most fans rate it at least close to 5/5. As always, hit up the tracks on YouTube or spotify before you buy of you're skeptical.

I agree with you on Paz, although i consider him a legend. He can be pretty thought provoking and was at his best earlier in his career IMO but hes still so entertaining to me always droppin lines that crack me up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Artists you find boring but talented   

Back to top Go down
 
Artists you find boring but talented
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Find A Grave.com
» waggy Tee Dead & Gone artists plus more Part 1
» Help me to find the picture
» Christian artists openly gay ?
» Brad Noah from Disciple?? A Solo Project????

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: