Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HH4L Year End Polls 2011

Go down 
+13
Shaun
ctrx
Highsmith
Alan
PKT
E. Taylor
Half
Tic706
KJ Styles
gametheory91
thelundquist
Laced With Slang
SyRuP Sippa
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Empty
PostSubject: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:14 pm

Drop your nominees here so we can get this set up and done. I know we still got a month, but always good to start the process now.

Drop your nominee (1 per category) for these categories:

Album of the Year:
Mixtape of the Year:
Song of the Year:
Remix of the Year:
Rapper of the Year:
Group of the Year:
Producer of the Year:
Rookie of the Year:
Dud/Dissapointment Album of the Year:
Comeback of the Year:
Slept On/Underrated Album of the Year:

After all the nominees are tallied up we'll have a poll for each category so we can vote.

Last edited by SyRuP Sippa on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:18 pm

ii have a list of a few more albums i wanna hear before posting this, and isnt this a little premature? , a bunch of shit is dropping in december and recently dropped
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:27 pm

Yeah, it's a little premature, but I didn't really see anything too crazy dropping in december. I posted this early to get you thinking since it's a long process. Plus producer, rookie, etc. should be already set this late in the year I would think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:29 pm

Album of the Year: Yelawolf-Radioactive (RICANstruction hasn't dropped yet though)
Mixtape of the Year: Immortal Technique-The Martyr
Song of the Year: Sonny Bama-Southern Rain
Remix of the Year: I fucking hate remixes
Rapper of the Year: Tech N9ne, easily
Group of the Year: Dayton Family
Producer of the Year: Kno, easily
Rookie of the Year: Kendrick Lamar
Dud of the Year: Wu Tang
Comeback of the Year: DJ Quik

Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:31 pm

is RICANstruction really dropping this yr?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:32 pm

can you also add

Biggest Disappointment
Most Underrated Album
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:39 pm

I thought biggest dud would cover biggest dissapointed... most underrated... hmmm what would that be? With the year just finishing how do we decide what is underated? maybe do underground album of the year too? or independent?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:42 pm

SyRuP Sippa wrote:
I thought biggest dud would cover biggest dissapointed... most underrated... hmmm what would that be? With the year just finishing how do we decide what is underated? maybe do underground album of the year too? or independent?

i guess with underrated i was thinking Slept-On....
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:44 pm

oh ok... so most Slept On/Underrated.

Is Dud/Dissapointment good, or do you think they should be separate and why?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 10:54 pm

just Slept On would work
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 11:21 pm

Album of the Year: Section.80

Mixtape of the Year: eLZhi - eLmatic

Song of the Year: Toast to the Dead - Immortal Technique

Remix of the Year: Otis Remix - DMX & Busta Rhymes (not sure what exactly constitutes as a remix anymore)

Rapper of the Year: Kendrick Lamar

Group of the Year: Hail Mary Mallon

Producer of the Year: Statik Selektah

Rookie of the Year: Kendrick Lamar

Dud/Disappointment of the Year: Goblin or Watch the Throne (if it switches to 2 then there's 2)

Comeback of the Year: Beastie Boys

Slept-On Album of the Year: ScHoolboy Q - Setbacks

Guest Appearance of the Year: R.A. the Rugged Man on Hell Razah's 'Return of the Renaissance'

Last edited by thelundquist on Wed 07 Dec 2011, 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Dec 2011, 11:54 pm

Album of the Year: Oneirology

Mixtape of the Year: Covert Coup

Song of the Year: Can't decide between CL- Dreams and The Roots- Make My

Remix of the Year: Has-Lo- Reincarnate

Rapper of the Year: Black Thought. Proved once again why is one of the GOATs on Undun

Group of the Year: G-Side (dropping 2 quality albums in 1 year)

Producer of the Year: Kno

Rookie of the Year: Has-Lo

Dud/Dissapointment Album of the Year: I'd have to go with Goblin as well. I really like Bastard and Goblin was just down right terrible

Comeback of the Year: Shabazz Palaces (Butterfly from Digable Planets) <---His album was so weird but really dope

Slept On/Underrated Album of the Year: Hassaan Mackey and Apollo Brown- Daily Bread
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 1:31 am

Dec 13th, I think, or whatever a week from Tuesday is. Chino has been ramming it down people's throats on twitter. It is a double album, also.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 1:39 am

I'm gonna wait till The Roots and Common's albums drop before doing this. One of them could easily be AOTY.

And how the fuck are Wu-Tang duds, Jeff?
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 2:58 am

Album of the Year: Shaolin Vs. Wu

Mixtape of the Year: Return Of 4Eva

Song of the Year: Doppelgangaz' "Doppel Gospel" or Cunninlyn "Hard As They Come"

Remix of the Year: N/A

Rapper of the Year: Bumpy Knuckles

Group of the Year: Doppelgangaz or Cunninlyn

Rookie of the Year: Doppelgangaz (Since Kendrick and KRIT dropped their "1st" albums last year do they qualify as rookies?)

Dud/Dissapointment Album of the Year: Lasers

Comeback of the Year: Bumpy Knuckles

Slept On/Underrated Album of the Year: Fresh Brew (Coughee Brothas)

Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

where can you buy RICANstruction????
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 1:17 pm

Wow that Chino news is awesome... and with that, The Roots, Common, yU, and Kno & Tonedeff in December, there's no way I can do this now. "I'll be back"
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 1:20 pm

yea i agree half, Chino, Tonedeff, Common (if its actually gonna be good), Roots, Naughty by Nature...
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 1:24 pm

Can't wait for the Yu. Is the Kno/Tonedeff for sure coming out?
Back to top Go down
PKT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 2:08 pm

I have heard only about 3-5(?) albums from this year. 99,99% of hiphop being released these days is boring and makes me yawn to be honest.

Album of the year: Kool G. Rap - Riches Royalty And Respect (Not good album, but best that I heard, I think)
Song of the year: Random Axe - The Hex (very good, but only song on the album that I wanted to listen again after 1st spin)

I still need to check The Roots album and maybe some others too.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
Can't wait for the Yu. Is the Kno/Tonedeff for sure coming out?

It isn't coming out in December actually, according to Kno himself:

"That is why Chico & The Man will not be dropping in December and from this point forward won’t even be discussed or have questions about it entertained until I hold a finished product in my hand that I am 100% happy with. December release was contingent on it being unceremoniously “dropped” digitally on iTunes and Bandcamp just for the sake of getting the monkey off of our backs, but after sitting with the record I simply can’t have that happen now. Tonedeff is one of my best friends and I have no intention on throwing him under the bus—but I waited patiently while the brilliant writing on this record got to marinate, grow and take shape over the course of nearly 6 years and I feel it is simply unfair for the mixing & promotion process to be granted a few months, especially with such great distribution and promo opportunities on the table that we’d have to pass on otherwise. Even Matt Hobbs had nearly 2 years to work on the video for “1000 Ships”—I feel that the rest of these things deserve more than 2 months. You deserve it. The album deserves it. Our fans have shown a level of dedication to a record that only existed in theory that I truly appreciate—I want it to be available outside of the internet, I want it to be available on vinyl, I want you to actually hear about it outside of QN5.com.

A little while before the release date was announced I was about as close as you can come to just scrapping the entire project out of sheer frustration and resentment—I was tired of talking about it on tour, tired of making excuses for it, tired of it stressing me out, tired of the strain it was putting on my friendship with Tone but most of all I was tired of sitting on this awesome thing and feeling completely handcuffed. Reconciling my creative process with Tone’s hasn’t been easy, but I realize now that people do need to hear it and it has to be given the care & effort that 8 years of work deserves. No more “clues”, no more teasers, no more questions, no more anything until I am happy with not only the finished product but also the distribution, promotion and reach in place to make sure everyone who should hear it does hear it.

I know that I have deferred all questions and comments about this album to Tonedeff for the past 3-4 years, but the record is in my hands now and the decision to push it is mine and mine alone. I’ve only had two release dates pushed back ever—APOS thanks to a label snafu and Death Is Silent due to Souljah Boy—and both irritated the shit out of me, but this is the best move here and it simply has to be done. Hopefully the 3 albums I’ve dropped in the past 12 months can tide you over a little bit longer—they’re pretty dope, too."

So uh... scratch that off my list for now haha
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 3:07 pm

Hmmm...I'm about up to speed as I will be for the year. Bumpin' all kinds of 2011 ish lately...most info is accurate from me as of now. However, Unknown Prophets just released "World Premier 2" recently. So I'm waiting to get that in the mail. That one has potential to be my #1 of the year for me.

Album of the Year: People Under The Stairs "Highlighter"

Mixtape of the Year: A-Plus "Pepper Spray" (only one I heard, and I like it) EDIT: I guess I'll change my vote since I now realize Mr. SOS's album "Cassette Verite" was billed as a mix tape. Shit's dope.

Song of the Year: Talib Kweli "Mr. International" (too close to call, but I probably bumped this song the very most)

Remix of the Year: ??? I don't really listen to remixes I guess...

Rapper of the Year: Eligh....easily

Group of the Year: People Under The Stairs

Producer of the Year: Hmmm, that's tough. I'll give it to Headnodic. For easily my favorite "producer album" of the year with "Red Line Radio". I really like Ski Beatz' work on Murs album as well. PUTS is another favorite for beats...

Rookie of the Year: Haven't heard too many rookies this year. I guess I like DJ Revolution Presents Malcom & Martin but that album isn't that great. 3.5 stars or so.

Dud/Dissapointment Album of the Year: One Be Lo "L.A.B.O.R." - not because it's a really bad album. But I expected it to be WAY better.

Comeback of the Year: Big Jess - for both his new albums. I was nervous about him recovering from the Unknown Prophets weak 2010 release. His new albums are fucking awesome.

Slept On/Underrated Album of the Year: Eligh & Amp Live "Therapy At 3" - this is my #2 album of the year so far...

Last edited by Alan on Fri 09 Dec 2011, 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 3:39 pm

This is looking good y'all. If anyone wants to drop a preliminary list and edit it after you listen to the albums from December feel free to do so, nothing is written in stone and I won't be tallying up the candidates until January.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 3:53 pm

Would you all consider K.R.I.T. "Return Of 4Eva" a mixtape or an album?
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 4:00 pm

Highsmith wrote:
Would you all consider K.R.I.T. "Return Of 4Eva" a mixtape or an album?

Hmmm, I would be fine with it in either category. If it is your favorite of the year throw it as the album of the year, but it was billed as a mixtape so it can go in that category as well.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 5:17 pm

SyRuP Sippa wrote:
Drop your nominees here so we can get this set up and done. I know we still got a month, but always good to start the process now.

Drop your nominee (1 per category) for these categories:

Album of the Year:
Mixtape of the Year:
Song of the Year:
Remix of the Year:
Rapper of the Year:
Group of the Year:
Producer of the Year:
Rookie of the Year:
Dud/Dissapointment Album of the Year:
Comeback of the Year:
Slept On/Underrated Album of the Year:

After all the nominees are tallied up we'll have a poll for each category so we can vote.

Ok, I'll do a pre-December list, I still have a bunch of albums I need to listen to from November/Oct/September though, but I'll just drop what I'm thinking right now.

Album of the year: Cyrus Malachi - Ancient Future (Slang have you heard this yet?)
Mixtape of the year: Returnof4eva/XXX - can't decide (not sure if these are mixtapes or just free albums)
Song of the year: J-Live - How I Feel, Pt.3 (I just feel really good when I hear this track)
Remix of the year: Has-Lo - Maxell UR
Rapper of the year: Kendrick Lamar (he killed every single guest appearance he had)
Group of the year: The Dopplegangaz (I'm addicted to Lone Sharks)
Producer(s) of the year: Blue Sky Black Death (for NOIR)
Rookie of the year: Has-Lo (he dropped stuff before this year but ICIDMI was his first album I'm pretty sure)
Dud of the year: Lasers (there were worse albums, but wow Lupe fucked his career up with this one)
Disappointments of the year - toss up between The Day of the Storm and Island, neither are bad but both really disappointed me
Comeback of the year: DJ Quik with The Book of David - it's been quite some time since Quik dropped a solo, and BlaQKout with Kurupt was just ok to me. This album is dope top to bottom though.
Slept On/Underrated Album of the year - Ancient Future (runner ups: Co$$ - Before I Awoke, Thurz - L.A. Riot, Has-Lo - In Case I Don't Make It)

Back to top Go down
ctrx
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
ctrx

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 5:52 pm

Album of the Year: Cunninlynguists' "Oneirology"
Mixtape of the Year: Big K.R.I.T.'s "Return of 4Eva"
Song of the Year: Luck-One's "Sounds of My City"
Remix of the Year: The Regiment's "Old School Vibe (Kev Brown Remix)"
Rapper of the Year: Big K.R.I.T. and Talib Kweli
Group of the Year: Blue Scholars
Rookie of the Year: Has-Lo
Dud/Dissapointment Album of the Year: "Watch the Throne"
Comeback of the Year: DJ Quik
Slept On/Underrated Album of the Year: Blue Scholars' "Cinemetropolis"
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 7:13 pm

"Song of the year: J-Live - How I Feel, Pt.3 (I just feel really good when I hear this track)"

This is probably my favorite, too
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 9:56 pm

yoo how could we forget my two favorite categories:

Verse of the Year
Guest Appearance of the Year

!!!
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: HH4L Year End Polls 2011   HH4L Year End Polls 2011 Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 10:51 pm

Laced With Slang wrote:
yoo how could we forget my two favorite categories:

Verse of the Year
Guest Appearance of the Year

!!!

Stop sleepin