Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mos Def "The Ecstatic"

Go down 
5 posters

Mos Def
3.0-Below
Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_lcap21%Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_rcap
 21% [ 3 ]
Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_lcap7%Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
 7% [ 1 ]
 7% [ 1 ]
Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_lcap29%Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_rcap
 29% [ 4 ]
 7% [ 1 ]
 7% [ 1 ]
Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_lcap0%Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_lcap14%Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Vote_rcap
 14% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Empty
PostSubject: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 4:12 pm

I was surprised to hear how dope this one was. This is probably his best since his debut IMO. I was digging most of the tracks here. I feel it's a bit front-loaded with the best beats and raps and he gets a little to into his singing on later tracks which sounds kind of blah to me at times. But the bangers definitely bang and are some of the nicer cuts of the year so far IMO.

My rating: 4 stars
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 4:16 pm

I just dl'd this today. I liked what I caught as I opened the files. It seems like another adventure in creativity from him, but sticking 100% to hip hop.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the production doesn't really sound like anything I've heard before. Very unorthodox, but I don't think he'll alienate nearly as many fans as with New Danger.

Can't rate it yet, but I have 4 star hopes and expectations. Unless it bores the shit out of me....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 4:32 pm

Not feeling it on first listen..3.25.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 4:33 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I just dl'd this today. I liked what I caught as I opened the files. It seems like another adventure in creativity from him, but sticking 100% to hip hop.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the production doesn't really sound like anything I've heard before. Very unorthodox, but I don't think he'll alienate nearly as many fans as with New Danger.

Can't rate it yet, but I have 4 star hopes and expectations. Unless it bores the shit out of me....

I'd say that's accurate. The production is banging more so on the front half IMO. But there is some of that "creativity" he brings to the table that does bore me (and isn't 100% hip-hop genre-wise). If he would have kept it banging like most of it is, I probably would give it a higher rating.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 4:37 pm

KRob86 wrote:

yeah you only like the random no talent southern bullshit right. someone throw some random southern albums up so i can give them 3 stars and kev can give them 5 stars
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 4:38 pm

Cory wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

yeah you only like the random no talent southern bullshit right. someone throw some random southern albums up so i can give them 3 stars and kev can give them 5 stars

Whoa...lol....

What did you think of it Cory?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 4:40 pm

Alan wrote:
Cory wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

Whoa...lol....

What did you think of it Cory?

Im thinking around 4 stars, some of the best beats i have heard in a long ass time. that beat from supermagic was dope. mos def could have done better on the lyrics. i guess its just not hardcore fake thug with something in the ass enough for kev
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:00 pm

awful, garbage, but we already established my feelings for this when it dropped.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:32 pm

I dig the album, it's not BOBS but it's better than New Danger and LIGHT YEARS better than True Magic. 4 stars
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:38 pm

I co-sign with bipolar man. Garbage, waste of money! Mos Def "The Ecstatic" 315977

Mos Def "The Ecstatic" 767989
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:45 pm

wrote:
I co-sign with bipolar man. Garbage, waste of money! Mos Def "The Ecstatic" 315977

Are you guys Mos Def fans though? I'm not like a die hard fan, but what the hell...this is definitely his 2nd best solo IMO. I figured you'd like this one, Tran. What didn't you like about it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:48 pm

im probably a bigger mos fan than anyone on here.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:54 pm

Steve wrote:
im probably a bigger mos fan than anyone on here.

Can you sum up your reasons again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:57 pm

awful production, awful nonsensical rhyming, horrible flow, horrible song length...do i need to continue
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:59 pm

Alan wrote:
wrote:

Are you guys Mos Def fans though? I'm not like a die hard fan, but what the hell...this is definitely his 2nd best solo IMO. I figured you'd like this one, Tran. What didn't you like about it?

I'm a big fan of Mighty Mos, I bought all his albums. He's killing my loyalty to him though with his last 3 releases. I think his flow and delivery these days is what I don't like about him. It seems like he's barely trying on his past 2 albums and tried too hard to be different on "New Danger". The songs on his newest album doesn't sound complete, and he even rapped a whole song in Spanish! Shaking My Head

^^^I miss this Mos Def.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 6:04 pm

^^^I meant to put up that version of "Jam On It". I love this song.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 6:06 pm

Steve wrote:
awful production, awful nonsensical rhyming, horrible flow, horrible song length...do i need to continue

I loved the production and feel that is mostly the high point of the record. So that's probably what I didn't really understand. I enjoyed the rhymes and flows for the most part though.

wrote:
Alan wrote:
wrote:

I'm a big fan of Mighty Mos, I bought all his albums. He's killing my loyalty to him though with his last 3 releases. I think his flow and delivery these days is what I don't like about him. It seems like he's barely trying on his past 2 albums and tried too hard to be different on "New Danger". The songs on his newest album doesn't sound complete, and he even rapped a whole song in Spanish! Shaking My Head

^^^I miss this Mos Def.

I agree that Spanish song sucked. There were a few sleepers, but a lot of bangers as well IMO. Like I said, not a huge Mos Def fan, but this is his first album post-BOBS that I found myself spinning more than a few times. I personally thought his flow on most songs was easily up to par.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 6:07 pm

Great production, and I thought Mos Def's performance was excellent. It's not the same style from BOBS at all, but the way he's spitting right now, he pretty much perfectly weaves himself into the movement and atmosphere of the beats. That, along with the style of song making, made the album flow really well for me. His rhymes are less linear than they used to be, but seeing the "Killer of Sheep" album cover, and hearing the first few songs out from the album, it didn't surprise hearing that. Doesn't hurt that I'm a Stones Throw and Doom listener, you can hear the influence, and of course some Madlib and Oh No beats were on the albums.

Last edited by Jason on Tue 21 Jul 2009, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 6:08 pm

^^^

there you have it, jason loves it, and it is influenced by mos def/stones throw, dope in their own right...but not for mos.

what more reason do you need?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 6:15 pm

Guest wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

I didn't know that was old Jizza (Corey) that wrote that...like the words from a skitso azz listener really means anything. Don't you have some Moka Only to play or something. I know you are 1 of his 5 fans.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 6:23 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Guest wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

I didn't know that was old Jizza (Corey) that wrote that...like the words from a skitso azz listener really means anything. Don't you have some Moka Only to play or something. I know you are 1 of his 5 fans.

LOL - I figured he was going at you about that. But really, what do cats got against Willie D???? I guess he may come on too strong for some people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 6:45 pm

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Guest wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

LOL - I figured he was going at you about that. But really, what do cats got against Willie D???? I guess he may come on too strong for some people.

I think Willie average at best as a solo artist. I would even take Bushwick over him.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 6:47 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I dig the album, it's not BOBS but it's better than New Danger and LIGHT YEARS better than True Magic. 4 stars

i cosign this...i give the album 4/5

The Auditorium, Workers Comp, History, Casa Bey, Twilite Speedball are all bangers...the rest is pretty good the only song i dont listen to ever is Roses
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 7:15 pm

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Guest wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

Because he really has no flow and is so far from your typical idea of what a lyricists is...He's can be loud with his delivery and number one he is str8 up country. Some people kill me though you don't listen to Will thinking about Rakim, G Rap, or Biggie you listen to him for him. And Bushwick can't come over him when Will wrote some of his rhymes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 7:16 pm

willie d sold me a fake iphone, i hope he burns in hell
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 7:31 pm

Steve wrote:
willie d sold me a fake iphone, i hope he burns in hell

Muthaphucka!!...lol.
Back to top Go down
Purple Haze
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
Purple Haze

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2009, 8:12 pm

Maybe I should listen again but the first listen was boring. I wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Just kind of boring IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mos Def "The Ecstatic"   Mos Def "The Ecstatic" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mos Def "The Ecstatic"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: