Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why you hate the south - Reason #2

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Empty
PostSubject: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 8:32 am

Because we got style.

9 times out of 10 a Southern emcee is gonna have some style and flair in their flow and delivery, even when the lyrics are lacking. On the other hand, real style is scarce on the east coast, hence why rappers like MOP, Onyx, and Busta Rhymes stand out so much out there. In the South, style and originality in your flow and delivery are essentially prereqs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 9:59 am

I don't know about this one SRP..the east coast especially in the 90's were at the forefront when it came to rhyme styles. I do agree however that the south on a whole may have more soul/flava and stick to your ribs vibe than the east.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 10:04 am

To me the bulk of the "big" east coast emcees lack real style...

Rakim, Guru, Q-Tip, etc. etc.

They have distinct voices is as diverse as they get...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 10:16 am

You don't think Q Tip rhyme style is different even without the voice? And no one sounded like Ra until it was a Ra rhyme style wise. What about Das Efx, Bush Babies, RunDmc, Slick Rick, LOTUG, LOTNS, DMX, Fu Scnickens, Phife, G Rap, etc...all had different styles and rhyme flows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 10:24 am

I'm not talking bout rhyme flows, but the way they are delivered.. with harmony and emphasis etc... that's all south IMO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 11:36 am

I see what you you are saying and I agree that is why I said the south did bring that soul and smooth but dirty flava to hip hop. But the east coase had mad styles delivery wise just not many with that hard smooth soul.
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 2:35 pm

Yea I can see your point here SRP, but the east still had some dope mc's with nice delivery & flow. Redman, DMX,Cage(might not be a popular opinion around here),RZA. But yea, the south has a bigger list of charismatic rappers.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 8:51 am

I don't understand why the east coast cats with distinct styles can still be praised for their lyricism, but southern artists are dismissed as gimmicks. Theirl yricism is over looked. Don't get me wrong. Busta and Sticky Fingaz have had plenty of dope moments on the mic, but it seems no one wants to give David Banner, Mystikal, Fiend, and Pastor Troy the credit they deserve for their lyricism. I'm not saying they are great lyricists, but they are easily better than they get credit for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 9:25 am

Well I was thinking of say MOP - which gets universal love - overground, underground, etc. and they just aren't all that if you take away their style and energy...
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 11:28 pm

I admit even this pop-boppery south stuff did usher in a fresh and fly image with cocky lyrics that was missing in rap. East coast rap was getting too gritty and chaotic. Even in alot of under-indie stuff from da east nowadays have borrowed a little swagger from the south. Army Of The Pharoahs Ritual of Battle is witness to that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 9:12 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Well I was thinking of say MOP - which gets universal love - overground, underground, etc. and they just aren't all that if you take away their style and energy...

MOP doesn't get universal love. Diehard hip-hop fans love them (like us) and they get critical acclaim but they are commercially slept on for the most part.

As for flashy Southern acts, I like Mystikal a lot, and own 4 of his albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #2   Why you hate the south - Reason #2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why you hate the south - Reason #2
Page 1 of 1