Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color

Go down 
+7
D.Powell
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
E. Taylor
Laced With Slang
MURDERGHOST
Half
Tic706
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Empty
PostSubject: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeFri 28 Sep 2012, 12:22 pm

Ratings, thoughts, etc etc?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeFri 28 Sep 2012, 7:30 pm

I'm listening to this right now, the first two tracks are great.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeFri 28 Sep 2012, 8:11 pm

This album is dope as fuck, one of the best I've heard this year.
Back to top Go down
MURDERGHOST
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
MURDERGHOST

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeSat 29 Sep 2012, 12:57 am

This was a blind buy for me...

I have not got around to listening to it yet... but it is on the playlist for this weekend...

Can't wait... I been reading good things about it...

Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeSun 30 Sep 2012, 10:32 pm

this album is excellent. One of the best this year, i'll come back with a more full review soon
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeMon 01 Oct 2012, 1:14 am

Love the album! I really like the fact that he went with Jake One on the production. Nothing against Ant but I feel like the 2 of them were getting kind of predictable. This is a new fresh sound for Ali and I'm feelin it. I'd go 4.25 for now. It's definitely not perfect, but I like it alot more than "Us" and I liked that album too.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 1:19 pm

Second fav album behind Killer Mike/El P!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 3:25 pm

I was almost ready to buy this shit until I saw how high Tranny has it rated....now fuck that...I'm spending my purchase dollars elsewhere.....

Tranny give me some thoughts on some of the latest r&b to come out and then I'll consider some of that material......
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeFri 05 Oct 2012, 1:42 pm

Yea, this album is everything I ever liked about Ali. And, even though JakeOne does bring something different, this still has a familiar Brother Ali vibe. Excellent on all fronts. Production outstanding, easily the best I've heard from Jake One.
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeTue 09 Oct 2012, 5:30 am

Beautiful album, Alì tackles numerous topics and sounds refreshed, he easily goes from personal issues to social issues and talks about everything with intelligence and sensibility. I liked Jake One's production except for some bad drums (tracks n. 2 and n. 3). One of the best releases of the year by far and one of Ali's best works, I'm listenin' to this over and over again.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 31 Oct 2012, 11:04 am

I have to say, I'm completely puzzled by the lack of attention this album is getting around here. This is flawless and is giving Billy Woods a serious run for my top spot this year.

Kevin? Nothing?
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 31 Oct 2012, 12:04 pm

Not a big fan of Ali personally. Even with J1 on the boards I am not interested.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 31 Oct 2012, 12:53 pm

parker lewis wrote:
I have to say, I'm completely puzzled by the lack of attention this album is getting around here. This is flawless and is giving Billy Woods a serious run for my top spot this year.

Kevin? Nothing?

Oh I thought I gave my rating. This is top 5 of the year for me. Nice fresh sound for Ali.

Lyrics= A
Production= A-
Subjects= B+
Originality= B
Entertainment= B+

I think this is what K-Rino needs. A new producer or hook man or something to give new life to his consistency. Bro Ali was becoming a tad predictable with his style of beats and rhymes but this album sounds refreshed.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 31 Oct 2012, 12:59 pm

Tic706 wrote:
parker lewis wrote:

Kevin? Nothing?

Oh I thought I gave my rating. This is top 5 of the year for me. Nice fresh sound for Ali.

Lyrics= A
Production= A-
Subjects= B+
Originality= B
Entertainment= B+

I think this is what K-Rino needs. A new producer or hook man or something to give new life to his consistency. Bro Ali was becoming a tad predictable with his style of beats and rhymes but this album sounds refreshed.

I remember shortly after Canibus' Lyrical Law came out I saw an interview with DJ Premier where he talked about wanting to do a project with K-Rino. How do think that would turn out? A lot of scratched hooks, and maybe a couple east coast cats featured on there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 31 Oct 2012, 4:56 pm

thelundquist wrote:
Tic706 wrote:
parker lewis wrote:

Kevin? Nothing?

Lyrics= A
Production= A-
Subjects= B+
Originality= B
Entertainment= B+

I remember shortly after Canibus' Lyrical Law came out I saw an interview with DJ Premier where he talked about wanting to do a project with K-Rino. How do think that would turn out? A lot of scratched hooks, and maybe a couple east coast cats featured on there.

I'm curious about it. I'm not automatically sold on just because it could be Premo that it will equal fresh and dope. Rino needs to find a new producer he actually has chemistry with. Also I agree that some different guest would help break up the typicalness (word?) of his albums. I know it cost money for beats and better guest mean more cost also. But I think at this point in his career it would be a good look.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 31 Oct 2012, 7:08 pm

This is my new #1 right now. So dope in almost every way. And I'm not a big Bro Ali fan but I think he really connects with the listeners on this one. And I prefer Jake One to Ant on the production side of things so there's that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 31 Oct 2012, 8:27 pm

I gave this album multiple spins, and I like what Brother Ali was doing with the album, but here's where it fell short. The hooks are bad. The lyrics and beats are on point throughout the whole thing. I had to get over the fact that it's been a while since he produced an album, and wait until the honeymoon was over in order to be more realistic about the album. Don't get me wrong. I dig it, but those hooks stick out like Lil Dap's flows in IA Dap. Unlike IA Dap, I can give Brother Ali's hooks a pass because the beats and lyrics make up for it. Brother Ali has always been that dude to go to if you want to hear something with substance. And he never falters from that even when he's ripping up wack emcees. I never felt the urge to skip any tracks on this album, so that alone boosts the rating up pretty high. Right now I have it at a 3.75 out of 5.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 31 Oct 2012, 9:06 pm

Which tracks specifically had the hooks you didn't like? I can't think of a single one, and I always feel like I'm the first one to gripe about an awkward hook.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeWed 31 Oct 2012, 9:53 pm

@ Parker: The hooks for Won more hit, and Need a knot stand out right now. Its been a while since I listened to the album last. I love the content of both songs, but those hooks grate on my ears.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeThu 01 Nov 2012, 8:42 am

Need A Knot is one of my fav trks on the album. I luv that sample for the hook and when Ali goes "hooooo"....lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitimeThu 01 Nov 2012, 11:37 pm

Kev, that's one of my favorite tracks as well. His story telling ability really shines on this one, but the hook is terrible imo. I'm okay with it because there are several artists out there who are known for bad hooks (Nas, cough) but are good lyricists otherwise. On the contary, I can spin this album without skipping a track. I can say different about Nas's new album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color   Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color
Page 1 of 1