Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Master Ace - Take A Look Around

Go down 
+2
Laced With Slang
Shaun
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Master Ace - Take A Look Around Empty
PostSubject: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 3:17 am

So I heard from some bitchy review that the re-release two disc wasn't worth it... any thoughts?

I'm doing another play by play review for this.

Why did Ace look like a back up dancer for In Living Colour? Whatever happened to the Action Posse?

Anyways, to the music.

1. Music Man - Marley Marl...so you know the beat is dope. This is a dope cut. Just a little bragging and shit.

2. I Got Ta - The concept on this song is cool, but like the beat gets a little repetitive and Ace sounds a little awkward on it. It's like a reverse "Ha!" for you younger cats.

3. Letter To The Better (Remix) - You know I love this song, but I realize I never heard the original - where can I find it?

4. Me and The Biz - Another one of my favorites, the beat here is so dope and Ace and Biz come correct. Nice summer track to ride to.

5. The Other Side of Town - Another dope song, this beat is crazy and the concept is on a more serious tip. Always loved how the sample is flipped one way here, but flipped completely different on that Stezo song. He says he has "holes in his leather pants" though and I always found that line mad homo.

6. Ace Iz Wild - not one of my favorites... I mean he says "if you plan on riffing when I spank you, be prepared to grab your ankles"

7. Four Minus Three - It's hard to dislike the beat since it is certified classic, but I always felt this was an unnecessary recycling of the classic beat.

8. Can't Stop The Bumrush - Album gets back on track here with another dope beat and Ace just spitting about different shit.

9. Movin' On - This one might be my favorite on the album. The beat is one of Marley's best IMO period just cause of the way he keeps the shit minimal and it lets Ace tell his stories and sets the mood. Feels like you're right there.

10. Brooklyn Battles - THis is another favorite. Just talking about brooklyn, but this is another killer beat. It's one of those beats that I think any emcee from any city would be able to flow over and sound at home. Its the type of beats that makes you quote quik and say "brooklyn is just like texas" cause I could see geto boys rapping over it and saying the same shit. But Ace has a propensity for mad homo lines. Like when he tells you how "he'd hand a brother a big black stick" - pause.

11. Maybe Next Time - Another dope song, track about ladies, but funky shit.

12. Postin' High - This is a nice uplifting party track, need more of these nowadays.

13. As I Reminisce - Shiiiit, Another dope ass song that you can put on any time and it takes you back no matter what, posse represents.

14. Take A Look Around - I was always dissapointed he never rapped on this joint. Wasted beat IMO.

15. Together - Nice song, I like the positive uplifting joint to end the album.

Conclusion:

Ace has always been a favorite of mine. Tons of dopeness on here. I still never see the classic status some give this considering it does have a few so-so songs and I think Ace refined his craft as the years went, but this definitely worth a purchase.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 12:46 pm

MastER Ace... lol
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 12:48 pm

^ on this album he was known as Master Ace, check the cover
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 12:53 pm

I know. It's just funny to me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:14 pm

I do feel it's a classic and his best album IMO. There really isn't a wack song on that CD, and Marley's production was superb as always.

I can see why some wouldn't consider it such, but even objectively I can't see less than 4.5 stars for Take A Look Around.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:25 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I do feel it's a classic and his best album IMO. There really isn't a wack song on that CD, and Marley's production was superb as always.

I can see why some wouldn't consider it such, but even objectively I can't see less than 4.5 stars for Take A Look Around.

I think it's at least 4.5 stars, but IMO, Disposable Arts is his only certifiable classic. He does have 4 albums that could be considered classics.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:25 pm

Slaughtahouse>>>>>>>>>>>>> Disposable Arts
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:27 pm

Shaun wrote:

IMO, Slaughtahouse doesn't come close. but i can respect that you feel that way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:31 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Shaun wrote:

IMO, Slaughtahouse doesn't come close. but i can respect that you feel that way.

I like Slaughtahouse slightly better as well, but both albums are dope.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 2:16 pm

Shaun wrote:

co sign x 1000
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 2:18 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Shaun wrote:

co sign x 1000

I hope you know that you look like a fool for co-signing someone who's wrong.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 2:24 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Shaun wrote:

co sign x 1000

last time i checked i havent seen anyone else cosign your post that DA is his best album....who's the fool now?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 2:29 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Shaun wrote:

co sign x 1000

last time i checked i havent seen anyone else cosign your post that DA is his best album....who's the fool now?

Unfortunately there are more idiots in the world then there are smart people.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 2:47 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Shaun wrote:

co sign x 1000

I'll cosign T. Myers
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 3:07 pm

AFutureWithoutAPast wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Shaun wrote:

co sign x 1000

I'll cosign T. Myers

i guess you and Terry fall into the majority of the world he was talking about...what a shame
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 3:10 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Shaun wrote:

co sign x 1000

I'll cosign T. Myers

i guess you and Terry fall into the majority of the world he was talking about...what a shame

Slang this review is for Masta ACE

Not Masta KILLA

sorry for the confusion.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 3:13 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Shaun wrote:

co sign x 1000

I'll cosign T. Myers

Slang this review is for Masta ACE

Not Masta KILLA

sorry for the confusion.

ha ha hilarious
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 6:40 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
So I heard from some bitchy review that the re-release two disc wasn't worth it... any thoughts?

Hmmm, I own the 2-CD set and I love it. Nice packaging and artwork reproduction as well as extra cuts.

Again, nice review...

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
4. Me and The Biz - Another one of my favorites, the beat here is so dope and Ace and Biz come correct. Nice summer track to ride to.

I agree. Except Biz Markie doesn't actually appear on the track. It's a impersonation by Ace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 8:26 pm

It always sounded pretty suspicious...cause "biz" was flowing on here like i never heard him before... learn something new every day.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 4:53 pm

Traffic Entertainment is re-releasing the entire Cold Chillin catalog. Marley Marl - In Control, Volume 1 (digitally re-mastered two CD set) just dropped!
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 4:55 pm

Zoltar wrote:
Traffic Entertainment is re-releasing the entire Cold Chillin catalog. Marley Marl - In Control, Volume 1 (digitally re-mastered two CD set) just dropped!

Sweet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Master Ace - Take A Look Around   Master Ace - Take A Look Around Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Master Ace - Take A Look Around
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: