Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?

Go down 
+3
Alan
D.Powell
Dang! Trotter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Empty
PostSubject: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSat 12 Sep 2009, 7:25 pm

If you know this album you know its amazing. A very superior 94 album. It had jazzy beats along with tronic type beats. Samples from sci-fi movies and a track with Mo love just scrathing. Prolly the last great turntable track. Most of all the album is extremely entertaining. You didn't know what to expect from track to track. Why isnt this album mentioned among other 94 greats such as OCs Word...Life or Illmatic?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 8:26 am

Great call on this one Trotter...this album is completely bangin, and I think it isn't mentioned as much as those other albums from 1994 is because Ultra was always an underground x 2 group...their promotion on all of their projects was for the most part non existant even though they consistently came with bangers and this effort is no different

Anyone getting to know Ultra for the first time should first pick up Critical Beatdown and then probably this one next as well as their other one Funk Your Head Up(1992)

the beats used on all of those efforts are some of the best beats ever used for any hip-hop efforts IMO....and of course Keith is going to bless you with some crazy lyrics that your going to have to rewind and listen to twice..Ced Gee is pretty good on the mic as well and he does most of the production for the group

I put Ultramagnetic up against the Geto Boys in a recent verses cases and of course most of the straight clueless heads went on ahead and fell for the bait and voted for the Geto Boys against this groundbreaking group with so much more talent than the Geto Boys it's almost laughable....LMAO!

Last edited by D.Powell on Sun 13 Sep 2009, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 11:57 am

D.Powell wrote:

I put Ultramagnetic up against the Geto Boys in a recent verses cases and of course most of the straight clueless heads went on ahead and fell for the bait and voted for the Geto Boys against this groudbreaking group with so much more talent than the Geto Boys is almost laughable....LMAO!

I think your hate for the Geto Boys is because you don't like Willie D and Bushwick Bill.

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again, the most important element to me when it comes to hip hop is CONSISTENTCY.

The Geto Boys have been more consistent than Ultra, hence I consider them a better group. Say what you want about Willie or Bushwick, but they sound dope alongside Scarface and those awesome Rap-A-Lot beats.

The Four Horsemen and Funk Your Head Up are good albums, but they aren't as good as Grip It On That Other Level, The Resurrection, We Can't Be Stopped, or Til Death Do Us Part. Not to mention Ultra's follow ups being tremendous dropoffs from Critical Beatdown. CB is the best record between the two groups, but after that the Geto Boys dominate.

So while Ultra are better lyricists than the Geto Boys, they haven't made better records. Hence GB's are a better group IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 1:14 pm

Ultra got one damn album that is considered a universal classic in which I would debate that but fuck it. Ultra and Geto Boys have no business even in the same sentence that is very disrespectful.

And KJ I respect how you feel but to me they are not betta lyricists than the GB's on the realm of lyricism Geto Boys are on. They are two different types of lyricists and both are betta in their relam.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 3:34 pm

Ultramagnetic MC's are kicking the Geto Boys right in their nuts..real talk

they've been very consistent KJ....those two albums following Critical Beatdown are no fuckin joke my dude, are they as good as Critical Beatdown?? No but they are no less than 4.5 stars...this whole thread is about one of those albums...when was the last time you heard one of those albums??? I think you may need a re-visit man....
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 6:35 pm

D.Powell wrote:
I put Ultramagnetic up against the Geto Boys in a recent verses cases and of course most of the straight clueless heads went on ahead and fell for the bait and voted for the Geto Boys against this groundbreaking group with so much more talent than the Geto Boys it's almost laughable....LMAO!

Bait? lol

Geto Boys have more classics and a much better discography. So it's only logical that Geto Boys killed it.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 6:57 pm

Alan wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Bait? lol

Geto Boys have more classics and a much better discography. So it's only logical that Geto Boys killed it.

I love your "logic" Pounds...how many Ultramagnetic MC's albums have you actually listened too man??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 9:27 pm

How many times have you spun a GB album Powell? And have you heard The Resurrection? That one is a classic and better than The Four Horsemen and Funk Your Head Up.

I own all 3 Ultra albums. I spun Four Horsemen not too long ago and that one is about 4.25 stars. I haven't spun Funk Your Head Up in a while, but I thought it was a 3.5 star album at best to be honest.

Geto Boys have at least two classics (some would argue 3) and Ultra only has one.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 9:36 pm

I played Grip It On That Other Level and We Can't Be Stopped about two weeks back KJ during my Lox vs. Geto Boys debate to make sure I wasn't missing anything about them and also trying to see why you guys were praising them like you where and what I discovered is what I really already knew

that despite what you guys think..those two chicken nuggets known as Bill and Will have hurt that groups classic status in my eyes and would NEVER be allowed to be a part of one of the GOAT hip-hop groups of all-time...those two albums are decent efforts 4 stars and 4.25 stars respectively and that is due to Scarface and I liked more than a few of the beats they used....but when I compare those efforts to Critical Beatdown...The Four Horsemen and Funk Your Head Up then I really start to realize how much ahead of the Geto Boys that Ced Gee and Kool Keith really are...again this is my opinion...none of those albums is a 3.5 star effort KJ...I would suggest you dust off your copy and re-visit it my dude....
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 9:37 pm

Oh and Ultra has made more than just 3 albums KJ you do know that right??

Just making sure man!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 9:53 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Oh and Ultra has made more than just 3 albums KJ you do know that right??

Just making sure man!

Also, if you felt the GB albums are 4 and 4.25 stars, then that's pretty comparable don't you think? It's definitely not a blowout.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 9:55 pm

KJ, you never understand shit. You're so dense, he said the ULTRAMAGNETIC albums were higher than 3.5

Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 9:56 pm

Steve wrote:
KJ, you never understand shit. You're so dense, he said the ULTRAMAGNETIC albums were higher than 3.5

Shaking My Head

Shut the fuck up Steve, I realized that and then edited my post, jackass!!!
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 10:04 pm

Ultra made 4 albums actually. Their last one, Best Kept Secret, was straight garbage. But comparing the 2 is unfair. Ultra being from NY they had mad competition to compete with. The Geto Boys for awhile had no comp in their region for awhile so theyre gonna get a strong force behindthem cause they were holding it down for the south. Also the GetoBoys was a brain child of J Prince, meaning they were brought together as a group. Ultra were dudes who knew each other before hand and got their grind on to make it in the industry. To Death Do us Part shouldnt be counted since Willie D was replaced by Big Mike. Proving GB was more of a franchise than a traditional rap group.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 12:04 am

True^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 2:01 am

KRob86 wrote:
Ultra got one damn album that is considered a universal classic in which I would debate that but fuck it.

c'mon man theres no debating that, CB is one of the best albums of all time, but Geto Boys are still overall the better group when you factor in consistency and discography
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 10:05 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Ultra got one damn album that is considered a universal classic in which I would debate that but fuck it.

c'mon man theres no debating that, CB is one of the best albums of all time, but Geto Boys are still overall the better group when you factor in consistency and discography

The reason I said that is because I do not think there as many folks from the west, midwest, and south that feel it is classic. I may be wrong though but only time I ever hear someone bring up that album is from the east.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 10:18 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Alan wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Bait? lol

I love your "logic" Pounds...how many Ultramagnetic MC's albums have you actually listened too man??

I own "Critical Beatdown" & "The Four Horsemen". Their debut is a personal classic that still stays in regular rotation, while the latter doesn't get so much, despite being good. But my point was explaining why more people voted for GB...which were not clueless votes. Which is where the word logic came into play.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 11:18 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

The reason I said that is because I do not think there as many folks from the west, midwest, and south that feel it is classic. I may be wrong though but only time I ever hear someone bring up that album is from the east.

Well not for nothing, I would say that Grip It is GB's only universal consensus classic. While I agree that the GB's have a better discog (hence making them a better group IMO) Ultra's Critical Beatdown is a universal consensus classic.

I think people from other parts of the country sleep on it because Ultra didn't have a ton of commercial success as a group, but anyone who's ever heard that album knows it's a classic.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 12:17 am

Non of GB's album has the international impact as Critical Beatdown,though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 7:24 am

Dang! Trotter wrote:
Non of GB's album has the international impact as Critical Beatdown,though

I don't believe that and if they do it is not intially because of the music or album it is due to the east coast based magazines that always held this album as a classic. Honestly that is how I heard about them like that back then only in magazines when listing the best hip hop albums of all time. I never really heard anyone speak about them like that before then, they had no major radio play so just like the Geto Boys their following was more with the hardcore/dedicated fans so neither are mainstream darlings in that aspect. But GB discog is more internationally held higher than Ultramag's one cd I bet that.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 9:31 am

they were way ahead of their time, their beats sounded like nothing else ive heard from that era and Keith's lyrics were just as fresh sounding
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 9:37 am

Kev, trying to tell you anything about Scarface or the Geto Boys is like trying to tell a crackhead to stop using ASAP...meaning your just not trying to hear it..lol

I know that's your favorite of all-time in probably all genre's of music (Am I right?) but I still say what fucked them up BIG time was Bill and Will...they brought the group down to respectable and decent levels but didn't put them up there with some of the greatest to ever do it, where all the emcees in the group complimented one another like Wu-Tang, or Run-D.M.C., or N.W.A., or EPMD as examples...

I think you also need to go listen to some Ultra man because I can tell by the way your concentrating on just that one album Critical Beatdown, that your not familiar with any of their other material which was bangin as well...maybe not on CB's level but certainly some incredible hip-hop efforts

As far the the GB's dicog being held higher internationally more than Ultra well I certainly disagree with that one because Kool Keith by himself has had an international following since the early 90's...he was so different that he appealed to a bunch of different audiences both nationally and internationally

there is NOBODY on the GB roster that could fuck with him lyrically except maybe 'Face, heads on here always talk about how hip-hop has "evolved" and has gotten more complicated..well Keith back in '86 started off complicated and hasn't slowed down since...his lyrics are just ill and sometimes even hard to follow...and his flow has always been known as one of the best flows, as well as his voice....neither Bill nor Will has that going for them among other things...

I know that your not listening Kev and that's okay because the GB's are your GOAT group so why would you...you see Ultra is not even my GOAT group but I still think they're better than the GB's by a long mile because of some of the stuff I just mentioned...also Ultra's beats are second to none...Ced Gee was one of the GOAT producer's...top 30 on my list easily...highly underrated though

re-visit or visit some of their works Kev and let me know what you think man....

Last edited by D.Powell on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 9:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 9:37 am

Agreed Slang 1000% that's what I was just telling Kev up above!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves?   Why doesn't Ultramagnetic MCs 4 Horsemen get the props it deserves? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 9:49 am