Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E

Go down 
+5
Alan
Half
Cory
D.Powell
Z-membu
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Empty
PostSubject: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 27 Oct 2009, 1:07 pm

This album is pretty fuckin dope. After a full spin, gotta give it 4.5 stars. "Little Young" is my favorite joint and Edo really shows his stuff on that. I know the older heads will feel that joint quite a bit. This is a collab album done right (in reference to Survival Skills and Parellel Uni-Verses). I can't add polls cuz I hide my IP address so if some one would add for me that'd be dope.

My verdict (again) 4.5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeFri 27 Nov 2009, 10:09 pm

A solid 4.5 stars. I have this in my top 3 of the year so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeMon 30 Nov 2009, 4:13 pm

Damn talk about different strokes?? I mos def do not hear no 4.5 in this album but I would give it 3.5-3.75. Masta Ace just has no flow to me and bores me after too long but on the other hand he killed some of the trks. Ed OG also, his flow was below average on some trks but lyrically he did a decent job. One of the decent/good cd's of this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 01 Dec 2009, 12:34 am

Kev but you're harsh on everything and I've been accused of being soft on everything so a 3.75 from Kev might very well mean a 4.5 from Nero.

Any songs in partcular not doing it for ya?
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 08 Dec 2009, 12:14 am

This is the album of the year IMO. Hands Down.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 08 Dec 2009, 10:34 am

this is in the mail..can't wait to get it...I've heard good things about it!
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Cory

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 08 Dec 2009, 1:35 pm

Masta Ace was dope on it. In the past i thought EdoG was average, but he did a nice job on here. But i dont care for the beats on the album, they are ok but should have been better
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 08 Dec 2009, 6:50 pm

I've been bumpin this one a lot man. I have to honestly say, Ace and Edo out did themselves with this one. There were a lot of dope LPs that came out this year, but A&E trumps all of them. You won't be disappointed Powell. Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 9:57 am

Finally got this. Dope. 4.5 for me as well.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 8:51 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Damn talk about different strokes?? I mos def do not hear no 4.5 in this album but I would give it 3.5-3.75. Masta Ace just has no flow to me and bores me after too long but on the other hand he killed some of the trks. Ed OG also, his flow was below average on some trks but lyrically he did a decent job. One of the decent/good cd's of this year.

Cosign...based on the first listen only.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 8:54 pm

It isn't often that I agree with Jeff, but I completely co-sign his opinion of this album. It's a near classic and among my Top 3-4 of 2009 easily.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeMon 21 Dec 2009, 10:24 pm

Yeah, this one's still hanging in the top 3 of the year IMO.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeMon 28 Dec 2009, 9:38 pm

I'd probably give this 4 stars after a couple listens. Dope album, but nowhere near the top of my list. I just dig other projects from both artists more than this.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 1:14 am

3.5 from what I can tell after a few spins.

Straightforward rhymes over production that ranges from so-so to very good.

And Cory, what do you mean the beats "should have been better"? Like how? Seems like a pretty nondescript criticism to me. Help me out there...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 10:43 am

Kopasetick wrote:
3.5 from what I can tell after a few spins.

Straightforward rhymes over production that ranges from so-so to very good.

And Cory, what do you mean the beats "should have been better"? Like how? Seems like a pretty nondescript criticism to me. Help me out there...

Wow, I don't agree with this at all but w/e.....it was a great concept album IMO. The rhymes were dope, and the beats fit the tone of the songs perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 3:48 pm

Who said the rhymes aren't dope? I said "straightforward"...and they are. They aren't exactly lyrical acrobats. I can rhyme like this and I'm not a rapper. The lyrics were cool, but the flows were nonexistant. Ed O.G. (not with the new spelling Shaking My Head) was pretty average. Ace is in decline, but he's been helped by great production over the years. That didn't happen here.

The beats were solid. Not great, not terrible. Right in the middle. Some were good, some were forgettable.

3.5 isn't a bad rating. One could argue that it's a generous rating...

Last edited by Kopasetick on Tue 29 Dec 2009, 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 3:49 pm

some were food?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 3:59 pm

Nor you said almost the same exact thing I said earlier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 5:36 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Who said the rhymes aren't dope? I said "straightforward"...and they are. They aren't exactly lyrical acrobats. I can rhyme like this and I'm not a rapper. The lyrics were cool, but the flows were nonexistant. Ed O.G. (not with the new spelling Shaking My Head) was pretty average. Ace is in decline, but he's been helped by great production over the years. That didn't happen here.

The beats were solid. Not great, not terrible. Right in the middle. Some were good, some were forgettable.

I know it's not a bad rating, but I think it's a much better album than that. I liked the guest appearances, and the concept. I thought Ed O.G. did his thing and Ace was dope as usual. I don't see Ace in decline at all. His weakest effort was Sittin On Chrome in 1995 or so and that's a 4 star effort IMO.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 7:33 pm

Would you say this is on par with Sittin' On Chrome or better?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 8:18 pm

Kopasetick wrote:

I like it better than Sittin On Chrome, and I'd say it's on par with A Long Hot Summer.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 9:11 pm

Yeah, we're simply hearing two different albums then. This is definitely not better than Sittin' on Chrome IMHO...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 9:42 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Yeah, we're simply hearing two different albums then. This is definitely not better than Sittin' on Chrome IMHO...

I guess we are then. I've got this rated @ 4.5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 10:07 pm

Kopasetick wrote:

I like Sittin' On Chrome more...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 10:09 pm

Alan wrote:
Kopasetick wrote:

I like Sittin' On Chrome more...

I don't, but different strokes I guess.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 10:10 pm

Kopasetick wrote:

I totally agree about Ace on this one. I'm not sure I'd say he's in a decline as much as he just didn't sound that interest in this project. I'm a big Ace fan and this was a little disappointing...
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 10:13 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Kopasetick wrote:

I like it better than Sittin On Chrome, and I'd say it's on par with A Long Hot Summer.

Not even remotely close IMO. A Long Hot Summer is 5 stars IMO...my favorite Ace album. But I agree with Norf, it was mostly about the production on that one, along with his storytelling and concept to the record that reeled me in. I have it pretty much tied with his debut for my favorite.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 10:33 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Kopasetick wrote:

Not even remotely close IMO. A Long Hot Summer is 5 stars IMO...my favorite Ace album. But I agree with Norf, it was mostly about the production on that one, along with his storytelling and concept to the record that reeled me in. I have it pretty much tied with his debut for my favorite.

SMH, I guess we'll agree to disagree then. I love A&E.

I've posted a thread on O.C. and A.G.'s Oasis, give your thoughts on that album if you've heard it. If you haven't, then go DL it.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 10:45 pm

I still have this one as my album of the year. There's just something about it that keeps me listining. These are two great street poets here. And KRS & Large Pro drop very memerable verses as well. Large Pro's verse on "Fans" takes me back to the good ole' "Live at the BBQ" days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 11:38 pm

Gangsta Zol wrote:
I still have this one as my album of the year. There's just something about it that keeps me listining. These are two great street poets here. And KRS & Large Pro drop very memerable verses as well. Large Pro's verse on "Fans" takes me back to the good ole' "Live at the BBQ" days.

Yeah I loved KRS and Large Pro's verses on the album too. Posdanous was dope as well.

My fav tracks are Pass The Mic, Little Young, Fans, Round & Round & Good Music.

About the only skip track is Dancin Like A White Girl.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 12:17 am

Yeah, that's exactly why "Dancin Like a White Girl" was the last track. But I like the message it sends tho.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 2:15 pm

Got your camera phone
friends left you alone
now you're wasted and you're dancin like a white girl

Dancin like a white girl
Dancin like a white girl
Dancin like a Dancin like a Dancin like a white girl

lol classic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 2:29 pm

Gangsta Zol wrote:
Yeah, that's exactly why "Dancin Like a White Girl" was the last track. But I like the message it sends tho.

Someone is going to have to fill me in... am I supposed to take some sort of message from this song? White girls shouldn't get drunk and dance?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 2:35 pm

And another thing... I bump it every week and still do not get the point of Little Young... they mention all these rappers but say very little of substance... what are they trying to get at exactly? If they are trying to do a comparison of old and new they would have been better served without the gimmick since a lot of the rappers they mention are old as well, I really fail to see the connection there with the message.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 2:36 pm

Saint Killa wrote:
Gangsta Zol wrote:

Someone is going to have to fill me in... am I supposed to take some sort of message from this song? White girls shouldn't get drunk and dance?

I don't understand the message either. If anything I think it's a comment on how the mainstream club friendly hip hop that gets airplay and spots on mtv is dictated by the opinions of ditsy white girls.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 2:38 pm

Saint Killa wrote:
And another thing... I bump it every week and still do not get the point of Little Young... they mention all these rappers but say very little of substance... what are they trying to get at exactly? If they are trying to do a comparison of old and new they would have been better served without the gimmick since a lot of the rappers they mention are old as well, I really fail to see the connection there with the message.

The message I got from that track is that a lot of the young "rap stars" out there today are conformists that don't do anything to break new ground or progress hip hop as an art form. Don't know why Lil Fame is mentioned though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 2:38 pm

Kendrick Davis wrote:
Saint Killa wrote:
Gangsta Zol wrote:

I don't understand the message either. If anything I think it's a comment on how the mainstream club friendly hip hop that gets airplay and spots on mtv is dictated by the opinions of ditsy white girls.

I guess I can see an extreme parody type song where they are skipping even the slightest semblance of music... maybe that was it?
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 9:43 pm

I just thought that it was a play on how rediculous mainstream club friendly hip hop is getting.
Back to top Go down
Undisputed
So Fabolous
So Fabolous

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010, 2:38 am

Long Hot Summer beats the hell out of this. That album is 100% classic, an incredible cd, and I love the story line. This Ace and Edo is a bit overrated by some on here. It's decent but not ridiculous in any way.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010, 3:18 am

Undisputed wrote:
Long Hot Summer beats the hell out of this. That album is 100% classic, an incredible cd, and I love the story line. This Ace and Edo is a bit overrated by some on here. It's decent but not ridiculous in any way.

cosign 100%
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E   Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Masta Ace/Edo.G-A&E
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: