Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rakim The Seventh Seal

Go down 
+5
Dang! Trotter
Zuri The Ghost A.B.N.
Jason
Laced With Slang
T. Myers
9 posters

The Seventh Seal
3.0 or below
Rakim The Seventh Seal Vote_lcap11%Rakim The Seventh Seal Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Rakim The Seventh Seal Vote_lcap0%Rakim The Seventh Seal Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
 11% [ 1 ]
Rakim The Seventh Seal Vote_lcap22%Rakim The Seventh Seal Vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
 11% [ 1 ]
Rakim The Seventh Seal Vote_lcap33%Rakim The Seventh Seal Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage

Rakim The Seventh Seal Empty
PostSubject: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 1:59 pm

What you think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 2:02 pm

I bought it blind and felt a little regret for taking the chance on a artist I have no history of really digging full lengths from. But when I played this last night all my worst fears were NOT confirmed, I could not stop bobbing my head and just listening. I do not want to over hype this yet but this may crack my top 10 '09 soon. I am not going to rate it yet either.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 2:05 pm

It's not in my top 10 for the year, but it's a dope album. I thought there a little too much singing on the hooks, but it wasn't a huge problem. Documentary Of A Gangsta was a banger. I loved the track with the No Doubt sample too. It's definitely worth the purchase. solid album from the god mc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 5:36 pm

This shit is bangin!! As of right now I'd say that this is about 4.25 stars but that rating might increase later. It's easily Top 10 of '09. I co-sign Kev, I can't stop bumpin this album. While he does have a few too many R&Bish tracks on it, I have no problem with that because he sounds rejuvenated on the mic.

Easily his best effort since Don't Sweat The Technique, and this album may even have more replay value than that one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 5:38 pm

no way this steaming pile of redundant 1988 swag is better than The 18th Letter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 5:40 pm

The Real Real Jeru wrote:
no way this steaming pile of redundant 1988 swag is better than The 18th Letter

This album SLAUGHTERS 18th Letter, spin it again dude!
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 5:41 pm

18th Letter is dope as fuck...its like 4.5 in my book

i havnt picked this up yet but am later tonight
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 5:41 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:

Exactly... 18th Letter is super dope... get your mind correct KJ
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 5:45 pm

Hmm, i'm not feeling this one quite as much as 18th letter, but there's not a huge difference one way or another.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 5:48 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:

I think people overrate 18th Letter because of Guess Who's Back. That song is a straight banger and the album is dope but I can't see more than 4 stars for it. It's 3.5-3.75 for me.

The Seventh Seal is about 4-4.25. I've only spun it 3 times and I dig the hell out of it.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 5:51 pm

umm The 18th Letter (Always and Forever), Remember That, The Saga Begins, When im Flowin..need i go on?

Pete Rock slaughtered his beats on that album btw
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 5:51 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

I think people overrate 18th Letter because of Guess Who's Back. That song is a straight banger and the album is dope but I can't see more than 4 stars for it. It's 3.5-3.75 for me.

The Seventh Seal is about 4-4.25. I've only spun it 3 times and I dig the hell out of it.

that's way too low
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 6:00 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

that's way too low

Like I said above, I can objectively see 4 stars for The 18th Letter, but that's about it. The reason I rate it the way I do is because it hasn't aged well. It doesn't have the replay value of his first 4 albums. It's better than The Master but that's the only one of his albums I'd rate it over.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 6:28 pm

3.5. Considering this is 10 years coming, very disappointing. The production is just weak, and it doesn't fit Rakim, that sample on the last song is just embarrassing. Lyrically, it's pretty much what you'd expect from Rakim at this point. I guess my opinion on that is probably pretty blasphemous, but I think he's gotten really formulaic in the way he constructs his lyrics, and they're pretty devoid of creativity and cleverness. Superficially, they sound good, because he knows how to put the syllables in the right place, and construct a tight rhyme scheme, but it's pretty much cliches interspersed with metaphysical jargon. So his lyrics are good, and functional, but I can't say there's much great here.
Back to top Go down
Zuri The Ghost A.B.N.
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
Zuri The Ghost A.B.N.

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 6:37 pm

I give this joint 4.25 easily. Rakim hasnt lost much dude is dope.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 6:38 pm

The Master is Ra's best album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 6:42 pm

Jason wrote:
I guess my opinion on that is probably pretty blasphemous

That's the only correct statement you made in your post.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 6:44 pm

it's not a correct or incorrect sort of thing, just an opinion
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Cory

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 7:50 pm

18th letter is damn near classic and the master was dope as well. 7th seal is dope, but its my second fav solo post eric b rakim album
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 8:31 pm

just got back frm the store with this...spinning now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 8:35 pm

You're cool slang - let me know how this is... if you give it a 4.5 I might check it out.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeThu 19 Nov 2009, 4:33 pm

Jason wrote:
3.5. Considering this is 10 years coming, very disappointing. The production is just weak, and it doesn't fit Rakim, that sample on the last song is just embarrassing. Lyrically, it's pretty much what you'd expect from Rakim at this point. I guess my opinion on that is probably pretty blasphemous, but I think he's gotten really formulaic in the way he constructs his lyrics, and they're pretty devoid of creativity and cleverness. Superficially, they sound good, because he knows how to put the syllables in the right place, and construct a tight rhyme scheme, but it's pretty much cliches interspersed with metaphysical jargon. So his lyrics are good, and functional, but I can't say there's much great here.

Jason PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP...this is hip-hop man not fuckin physics or medical science what the fuck are you talking about man??? "but it's pretty much cliches interspersed with metaphysical jargon" ...lol..now I know why you like Gift Of Gab so much man..it all makes complete sense right now!

WOW! stick too Silver Jews PLEASE! thanks man..

Anyway I just got this one today and have yet to spin it..but I'm expecting it to be a decent effort.....review to follow in a few days
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeThu 19 Nov 2009, 7:53 pm

Jason PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP...this is hip-hop man not fuckin physics or medical science what the fuck are you talking about man??? "but it's pretty much cliches interspersed with metaphysical jargon"

L O L
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeThu 19 Nov 2009, 8:25 pm

All that 5 percent nation influenced stuff that Rakim is always spitting is metaphysics, that's what I'm talking about. This is Hip-Hop, and what I'm talking about is the content of his lyrics, a very significant portion of his lyrics, so I don't see the issue, other than you want to bitch about Gift of Gab and the Silver Jews again.

Powell, you always have a problem with what I say, so you don't need to say it every time, I'll just assume it. So, just shut up unless you want to have a real discussion about the actually music and lyrics, that's why I'm even here.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeFri 27 Nov 2009, 9:01 pm

I like this album a lot. The first song has a really sick beat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 06 Jan 2010, 4:06 pm

4.25 easily. I can tell the time spent on the west coast with the doctor rubbed off on him some. He has learned to use betta hooks and more full sounding music. Rakim really updated his sound man something KRS, Too Short, and other ole schoolers can learn from.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitimeWed 06 Jan 2010, 5:50 pm

Still haven't peeped it despite it being on my shopping list. smh

In my opinion, Rakim is one of the best ever. Without him raising the bar, maybe Gift of Gab grows up idolizing Too Short or something.

I'll have to d/l it to see if it warrants a purchase...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rakim The Seventh Seal   Rakim The Seventh Seal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rakim The Seventh Seal
Page 1 of 1