Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge

Go down 
+6
Dwight
Dang! Trotter
Laced With Slang
Half
Norfeest
Alan
10 posters

Souls
3.0-Below
Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_lcap0%Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_lcap0%Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_lcap13%Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_lcap13%Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_lcap38%Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_rcap
 38% [ 3 ]
 13% [ 1 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_lcap25%Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Vote_rcap
 25% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Empty
PostSubject: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 8:12 pm

Dope fuckin' album :!:

I'd say it's their second best. The rhymes are dope as hell, as well as Prince Paul & Domino's production. I spun it nearly 3 times sitting in rush hour today, and I can't say I heard any skip tracks either. I'm thinking around the 4.5 range as of now, but it'll take a couple more spins to really tell...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 8:20 pm

This will be the 7th new album I've downloaded in the last 48 hours, but I'm about to do it.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 8:24 pm

I did download it first, but I plan to buy it on my next order of discs. No question.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 8:49 pm

Alan wrote:
I did download it first, but I plan to buy it on my next order of discs. No question.

I will too if I like it as much as you did. It sucks that I can't find albums like this in stores though.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 8:50 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:

I will too if I like it as much as you did. It sucks that I can't find albums like this in stores though.

CDs are a dying breed, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009, 12:30 am

Just downloaded it. Can't see anything lower than 4 stars for this right now. Sure fire dope here.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009, 2:11 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:

Not really, it's just that only a select few stores have a vast hip-hop selection. Best Buy's selection sucks ass. I'll go to FYE this weekend to see if they have it but I doubt they will. I miss the days of Tower Records.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009, 9:52 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:

Not really, it's just that only a select few stores have a vast hip-hop selection. Best Buy's selection sucks ass. I'll go to FYE this weekend to see if they have it but I doubt they will. I miss the days of Tower Records.

There are stores near my dorm that do have it, or at least I've seen a poster of it. I may cop it before I leave for home tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009, 11:10 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Just downloaded it. Can't see anything lower than 4 stars for this right now. Sure fire dope here.

Exactly my thoughts. I've spun it 5 times now and I'd have to give it 4.5 stars. It's shaping up to be top 10 material IMO. As far as a 4-rapper group goes, I'd take Souls over Slaughterhouse in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009, 11:11 pm

Where the hell is Slang? Isn't his avatar the album cover to this album?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009, 11:33 pm

im here man lol, i still havent got this album i cant find it anywhere and i dont wanna DL it...i asked this guy from an independent store to order it today and he should get it either tomorrow or saturday
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009, 11:35 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
im here man lol, i still havent got this album i cant find it anywhere and i dont wanna DL it...i asked this guy from an independent store to order it today and he should get it either tomorrow or saturday

I think you'll be happy with your purchase. I'm gettin' that shit soon too...
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009, 12:53 pm

More than likely, I'll buy it while I'm out today...
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec 2009, 10:46 pm

I was spinning the old SOM "93 Til Infinity" today, and I must say, I'm liking the new one more. lol

I mean, the early one has the dope singles, and also that early classic Hiero sound, but I like the new one more as a whole I think.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 10:12 pm

The debut is still my favorite, but I have this album rated at a solid 4.25 stars. Of course, with age, this rating will grow or wither, but that's where I'm at with it right now. The instrumentals disc is a sweet, sweet bonus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 12:04 am

I've gotta give the edge to 93 Til Infinity because I like the standouts a bit more. But I'm inclined to call Montezuma's Revenge a classic as well because there really are no true skip tracks on it. The chorus on "Poets" is a bit redundant, but the song isn't an instant skipper.

As of right now, this is my current AOTY.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 8:44 am

KJ Styles wrote:
This will be the 7th new album I've downloaded in the last 48 hours, but I'm about to do it.

Disgusting. I haven't downloaded freely in a year! Except for the free albums like Marq Spekt and SCFBros. that were free downloads anyways. All Albums I hyped this year like Abstract Rude and BusDriver I paid for. Still haven't peeped this or Rakim's or MOP's new joint. I will eventually cause I will pay for it. There's no more excuses. Don't say youre gonna try it and if you like it you're gonna buy it. There's samples readily available on the internet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 9:57 am

Dang! Trotter wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Disgusting. I haven't downloaded freely in a year! Except for the free albums like Marq Spekt and SCFBros. that were free downloads anyways. All Albums I hyped this year like Abstract Rude and BusDriver I paid for. Still haven't peeped this or Rakim's or MOP's new joint. I will eventually cause I will pay for it. There's no more excuses. Don't say youre gonna try it and if you like it you're gonna buy it. There's samples readily available on the internet.

What the fuck is wrong with trying before buying???

There's two reasons why I do it.....

1) I HATE paying for something that might potentially be wack. Before downloading, I've been burned MANY times by mediocrity to complete wackness. I refuse to ever let that shit happen again. These artists make WAYYYY more money than we as fans do anyway, so it's not gonna kill them.

2) We're in a recession right now. If I'm gonna drop 11-15 bucks on a CD, it BETTER have replay value. Downloading first insures me that I know what I'm gonna get. And not all albums have free samples. Some artists let you preview their entire albums on MySpace but not all of them. If they all did it then it'd be a different story.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 12:57 pm

this album is dope as hell, i agree with Norf that this aint touchin the debut, but right now i have this at around 4.25 - 4.5 stars, closer to 4.5, this is among my top 5 of the year...my top 10 from what i heard:

Raekwon - OBFCL (4.5-4.75)
Tech N9ne - KOD (4.5)
Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge (4.35-4.5)
La Coka Nostra - A Brand You Can Trust (4.25)
Eminem - Relapse (4-4.25)
OC & AG - Oasis (4-4.25)
Rakim - 7th Seal (4-4.25)
U-God - Dopium (4)
J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid (4)
Mos Def - Ecstatic (4) (this can be substituted with any of the next ones listed at 4 for the 10th spot)

Others:
Wu Tang Chamber Music (4)
MOP - Foundation (4)
The Jacka - Tear Gas (4)
Cormega - Born and Raised (4)
Blaq Poet - The Blaqprint (3.75-4)
Royce - Street Hop (3.75-4)
DOOM - Born Like This (3.75-4)
Buckshot and KRS - Survival Skills (3.75-4)
DJ Quik and Kurupt - Blaqkout (3.75)
Meth and Red - Blackout 2 (3.75)
Del and Tame One - Parallel Universes (3.75)
Masta Ace & Edo G - A&E (3.75)
Marco Polo and Torae - Double Barrel (3.75)
Blitz the Ambassador (3.75)
Clipse - Til the Casket Drops (3.5-3.75)
Blakroc - Blakroc (3.5)
Slaughterhouse (3.5)
Stoupe - Decalogue (3.5)
Jadakiss - Last Kiss (3.5)
Alchemist - Chemical Warfare (3.5)
Ghostdini - Wizard of Poetry (3.5)
Saigon - All in a Days Work (3.25)
Jay-Z - Blueprint 3 (3-3.25)
50 Cent - BISD (3-3.25)

only other albums i plan to hear from this year are B-Real, K-Rino, UGK, and Bro Ali

Last edited by Slang Editorial on Sat 19 Dec 2009, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dwight
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 4:22 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
The debut is still my favorite, but I have this album rated at a solid 4.25 stars. Of course, with age, this rating will grow or wither, but that's where I'm at with it right now. The instrumentals disc is a sweet, sweet bonus.

Agreed Norf.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 7:21 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
But I'm inclined to call Montezuma's Revenge a classic as well because there really are no true skip tracks on it. The chorus on "Poets" is a bit redundant, but the song isn't an instant skipper.

Cosign. I don't skip any of them though. I like "Poets" too. I often like those obscure samples from children's records and what not. Good shit IMO. It's in my top 5, maybe top 3, but it keeps rising.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 7:26 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
this album is dope as hell, i agree with Norf that this aint touchin the debut

93 Til Infinity was around since...1993. It's had a lot more time to sink in. I look at this like a big change from 93 Til Infinity. Especially in the maturity department. This album is far more refined and has a totally different feel. I dig the change. Hiero HQ is my newest favorite Souls track. I like how they evolved.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 8:25 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
But I'm inclined to call Montezuma's Revenge a classic as well because there really are no true skip tracks on it. The chorus on "Poets" is a bit redundant, but the song isn't an instant skipper.

Cosign. I don't skip any of them though. I like "Poets" too. I often like those obscure samples from children's records and what not. Good shit IMO. It's in my top 5, maybe top 3, but it keeps rising.

Yeah it's a great album, but I still dig 93 Til Infinity more. It's among my Top 75-100 albums ever.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeMon 21 Dec 2009, 10:45 pm

I have this one sitting around a 4. Lyrically its sound but some of the beats could have been much better. Not feeling the production too much. Tour Stories and Postal are the only 2 songs I really liked. Not hating as I'm a Hiero/SOM fan.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009, 11:16 am

Cise Starr wrote:
I have this one sitting around a 4. Lyrically its sound but some of the beats could have been much better. Not feeling the production too much. Tour Stories and Postal are the only 2 songs I really liked. Not hating as I'm a Hiero/SOM fan.

I was thinking that at first, but after listen #2 I was loving the production and I've only dug it more since.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009, 8:37 pm

I find it rather comical the song Home Game bit off of the song This Year by CYNE. This Year sounded much better than Home Game. Just a random thought.

This Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97BsH6748Yg

Home Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q53PMW4CGrw
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009, 1:01 am

Cise Starr wrote:
I find it rather comical the song Home Game bit off of the song This Year by CYNE. This Year sounded much better than Home Game. Just a random thought.

This Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97BsH6748Yg

Home Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q53PMW4CGrw

That sounds fairly different to me. Plus, Home Game layers another sample in there. Not to mention the sample is a different speed and doesn't sound the same...it probably is the same though after listening a bit more. I honestly didn't notice and I've bumped both albums a ridiculous amount of times.

SOM still gets my vote (for the overall album....that Cyne cut is hard to fuck with...I agree!)
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009, 1:18 am

For me its the opposite. This album isn't touching Water For Mars. Not lyrically or beatwise. Then again, I'm a huge CYNE fan. Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009, 12:23 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
For me its the opposite. This album isn't touching Water For Mars. Not lyrically or beatwise. Then again, I'm a huge CYNE fan. Big Grin

Guess I gotta disagree. I like some of the beats on the SOM more...both are top notch though. I do feel Cise Star may be the best rapper out of all of them...not by a stretch...barely if any. Akin isn't quite as good IMO. I like the group chemistry between A-Plus, Opio, Phesto, and Tajai more...and they seriously brought the heat on this one.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009, 12:36 pm

Yeah the group chemistry is definitely more dope with SOM. In their debut album they simply laid waste on each track. This one not so much IMO. Overall the strength of their group wins out. I agree that Cise it the best lyricist out of both groups. I'm not sure how much of his stuff you've heard but he's easily one of the best lyricists of the past decade.

The difference between our styles, I think, is that you prefer more abstract stuff. I think the SOM is a bit too "off course" for my liking with Water For Mars is more straightforward.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009, 12:43 pm

I agree with Pounds for the most part. Although 93 Til Infinity is still my fav SOM album, this one is a classic IMO and my AOTY.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009, 12:54 pm

Have you listened to Carried Away and Water For Mars?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009, 1:13 pm

This is definitely a dope album. I'm digging it alot. I would say this is about even with Carried Away IMO. I have not heard the CYNE album.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 1:44 am

Cise Starr wrote:
Yeah the group chemistry is definitely more dope with SOM. In their debut album they simply laid waste on each track. This one not so much IMO. Overall the strength of their group wins out. I agree that Cise it the best lyricist out of both groups. I'm not sure how much of his stuff you've heard but he's easily one of the best lyricists of the past decade.

The difference between our styles, I think, is that you prefer more abstract stuff. I think the SOM is a bit too "off course" for my liking with Water For Mars is more straightforward.

I haven't heard much from Cise, but I've heard tons of SOM with the solo work included, so obviously it would be more exciting to me to hear them in such great form after all this time.

LOL...I don't even get what you're saying about the abstract vs. straightforward thing. You mean the beats? The topics are very similar IMO. Mostly all real shit being talked about there aside from a healthy dose of braggadocio. There are some rhyme schemes in there, but it's not like it's redundant or anything. Please explain...

Last edited by Alan on Thu 24 Dec 2009, 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 1:46 am

KJ Styles wrote:
I agree with Pounds for the most part. Although 93 Til Infinity is still my fav SOM album, this one is a classic IMO and my AOTY.

Nice. Got a favorite? I'm still stuck on Hiero HQ. The rhymes on that shit are dope as fuck.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 1:52 am

Alan wrote:

I haven't heard much from Cise, but I've heard tons of SOM with the solo work included, so obviously it would be more exciting to me to hear them in such great form after all this time.

LOL...I don't even get what you're saying about the abstract vs. straightforward thing. You mean the beats? The topics are very similar IMO. Mostly all real shit being talked about there aside from a healthy dose of braggadocio. There are some rhyme schemes in there, but it's not like it's redundant or anything. Please explain...
Yeah I've also checked out most of Hiero/SOM/Group/Solo stuff. I guess that Florida bias is creeping in my arguments lol.

You should check out Cyne's discography though. Everything except Pretty Dark Things is solid.

Yeah I was talking beat wise. I guess I kinda lost myself in my reasoning lol. Most stuff I write here makes little sense. lol!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 2:00 am

Cise Starr wrote:
Alan wrote:

Yeah I've also checked out most of Hiero/SOM/Group/Solo stuff. I guess that Florida bias is creeping in my arguments lol.

You should check out Cyne's discography though. Everything except Pretty Dark Things is solid.

Yeah I was talking beat wise. I guess I kinda lost myself in my reasoning lol. Most stuff I write here makes little sense. lol!

I will check out Cyne's discog...I've been meaning to! Just been crazy busy for the last few months. I can see you on the beat thing, you may be right. I do tend to like what you may call "abstract" beats. That's not that way I would describe them, that's just what hits home with me. I wouldn't give Prince Paul/Domino/Opio, etc. producer of the year medals for this, despite being great...I'm more about the lyricism. But I would give DJ Fresh producer of the year, and he's anything but straightforward IMO. To me straightforward sounds a little boring from the get-go. So maybe you would describe that production as "abstract". Don't you listen to Floyd and shit though?
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 2:08 am

Not sure who Floyd is.

While I do like lyricism, if the beat isn't dope I tend to get bored with a song. That's the main gripe I have about Montezuma's Revenge. There are 6 songs which just needed better production/beats/vibe to be 5 star songs.

Examples of what I consider abstract are most beats on Funcrusher Plus and The Cold Vein. I know both those albums are highly regarded but I can't get into either. I've tried multiple times to listen through both albums but its just not my style. Again, its kinda hard to explain.

Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Shovel

Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge 496141845_ffe1db3f88

Excuse me as I dig myself out of this hole...*smokescreen*
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 2:20 am

Floyd= Pink Floyd
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 2:23 am

Oh then no.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 3:51 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
Not sure who Floyd is.

While I do like lyricism, if the beat isn't dope I tend to get bored with a song. That's the main gripe I have about Montezuma's Revenge. There are 6 songs which just needed better production/beats/vibe to be 5 star songs.

Examples of what I consider abstract are most beats on Funcrusher Plus and The Cold Vein. I know both those albums are highly regarded but I can't get into either. I've tried multiple times to listen through both albums but its just not my style. Again, its kinda hard to explain.

Excuse me as I dig myself out of this hole...*smokescreen*

LOL...to be honest, I rarely spin Funcrusherplus (like maybe once a year) and I can't even spin Cold Vein anymore. I think we're more on the same page style-wise than you think. Maybe just a difference of opinion here. I'm a production guy too though. If I wasn't, I probably would have dug '09 releases from these guys much:

Lushlife
Rise and the Avid Record Collector
The Grouch & DJ Fresh
Grand Puba (Puba's dope, but the production drives this one)
Fresh Daily
Kero One (prime example here...)
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 3:51 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
Oh then no.

I guess I have you confused with someone else about that. I thought you were a PF fan. lol
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 5:02 pm

Alan wrote:

LOL...to be honest, I rarely spin Funcrusherplus (like maybe once a year) and I can't even spin Cold Vein anymore. I think we're more on the same page style-wise than you think. Maybe just a difference of opinion here. I'm a production guy too though. If I wasn't, I probably would have dug '09 releases from these guys much:

Lushlife
The Grouch & DJ Fresh
Fresh Daily
Maybe so. I'm almost done digging myself out of the hole. lol!

I did enjoy Lushlife's album, Puba's album, and Kero One's album I need to go over again. Not familiar with the other albums.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec 2009, 12:03 am

Cise Starr wrote:
Alan wrote:

Lushlife
The Grouch & DJ Fresh
Fresh Daily
Maybe so. I'm almost done digging myself out of the hole. lol!

I did enjoy Lushlife's album, Puba's album, and Kero One's album I need to go over again. Not familiar with the other albums.

The Kero One is real jazzy and soulful. Not sure how much you dig that style, but if that sounds good you may dig it. However, I'd say that Rise & The Avid Record Collector "Risen" is a top 5 best produced album of the year. The Avid Record Collector lays that shit down awesomely...superb sample selection IMO. I need to hear more by him, because that album still get's spins and I've had it since January....basically because of him...I still dig Rise, but he couldn't carry the album without those fly beats. Same story with The Grouch & DJ Fresh....though I don't think you'd like it much if you don't dig Grouch. It's not nearly his best lyrically (he was best back in 1996-1999), but again, DJ Fresh kills the production IMO. Fresh Daily? Actually, take that one off the list....lol. That's just a dope album through and through, but neither the rapping or productions stands out a ton...his personality and charisma makes it a good listen though. I give it 4 stars.
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec 2009, 11:17 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Dang! Trotter wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

What the fuck is wrong with trying before buying???

There's two reasons why I do it.....

1) I HATE paying for something that might potentially be wack. Before downloading, I've been burned MANY times by mediocrity to complete wackness. I refuse to ever let that shit happen again. These artists make WAYYYY more money than we as fans do anyway, so it's not gonna kill them.

2) We're in a recession right now. If I'm gonna drop 11-15 bucks on a CD, it BETTER have replay value. Downloading first insures me that I know what I'm gonna get. And not all albums have free samples. Some artists let you preview their entire albums on MySpace but not all of them. If they all did it then it'd be a different story.

Co-Sign...I dont do Blind-Buys anymore..a thing of the past..waaay too many outlets to sample before a buy....

That said..im not blind bashing the album...Souls of Mischief should deserve a buy...I'll check this out......
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeMon 28 Dec 2009, 3:06 am

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 7:56 pm

Finally got around to this one... After the first listen, I'd say it's 4.5 stars or higher. Not one track that I didn't like, beats and ryhmes were stellar, and it was put together pretty nice. Even the skits were enjoyable (the Morgan Freeman one was hilarious). I think this will knock Slaughterhouse out of the top 5 for '09
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 8:24 pm

Right on man. It's gotten steady spins since I bought it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge   Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Souls of Mischief - Montezuma's Revenge
Page 1 of 1