Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sound Set '09 (review)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Sound Set '09 (review) Empty
PostSubject: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009, 12:14 pm

I must say, Sound Set '09 was dope!

There were two stages set-up, and I ended up running back and forth to catch multiple sets. My favs were:

Blue Scholars (definitely my fav)
Prince Paul
One Be Lo
Unknown Prophets
Kristoff Krane
The Pharcyde (but sadly, these kids had no idea who they were)
Ab Rude/Aceyalone/Myka 9
Heiruspecs

Yeah, mostly local shit, but good shit.

I actually complete missed one set I may regret, but it's only because I was digging Blue Scholars so much I could not leave - El-P & Mr. Dibbs. Heard it was very tight.

MF Doom was not good. He was flowing alright, but he was pissing everyone off with this 'get the crowd hype' nonsense. Plus, he had crazy sound problems. Eyedea & Abilities had a very disappointing set as well. Makes me even wonder if I'll like their new material. Abilities was killing actually, but not Eyedea. Sage Francis? Meh...

BIG UPS to Prince Paul for holding some insane mixing down in the b-boy Tent. Shit was off the hook! I watched most of his set. Honestly, one of my top 3 performers for sure.

There was a skate park set-up which was pretty cool. The car/car stereo show was pretty tight. They had some sweet graf artists too. And boy oh boy was their some weed floating around. There was no security check at all, basically...and barely any security period. The security dude looked high himself. He just kept saying (at the entrance) "I need to check your bags if you have a bag", but didn't care enough to stop leaning on the fence to do so. I felt dumb when I realized I spent like 15 minutes fashioning a "new" pack of cigarettes with double sided tape full of joints. lol

DOPENESS OF '09!!!!!!

For those interested, the line-up consisted of:

Atmosphere
The Pharcyde (original line-up)
Brother Ali
MF Doom
P.O.S
Freeway & Jake One
Immortal Technique
Eyedea & Abilities
Sage Francis & B. Dolan
El-P & Mr. Dibbs
Prince Paul
Heiruspecs
Blueprint
Buck 65
DJ Numark
Abstract Rude, Aceyalone & Myka 9
Blue Scholars
Sims (Doomtree)
Cunninlynguists
I Self Devine
One Be Lo
Awol One
Unknown Prophets
Mike Mictlan & Lazerbeak (Doomtree)
Toki Wright
Grieves
Lil Buddy Mclain
Kristoff Krane
Just Live
El Guante
DJ Nikoless
BK-One
DJ King Otto
Plain Ole Bill
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009, 1:18 pm

Holy crap that sounds dope
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009, 2:17 pm

Shon wrote:
Holy crap that sounds dope

It was!

And I'm still in pain from the sunburn. There wasn't a cloud in the sky for all 9 hours....let alone a tree, or anything that would cast a shadow. Not good for a blindingly white MF'er like myself. lol :cherry:

Cunninlynguists was dope too. I was surprised to see Kno up there for pretty much the entire set. They were doing tons of stuff from "Will Rap For Food".

Biggest surprises would have to be Freeway & Jake One & Just-Live. Both of those sets were very tight.

Fuckin' Prince Paul though....nearly made my day. Dude was completely sick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009, 3:33 pm

You skipped El-P/Dibbs for Blue Scholars...I'm disappointed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009, 4:49 pm

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:

Me too. But I couldn't pull myself away...lol...Geologic and Sabzi got some pure illness going on together. They are very much in tune with each other. Sabzi does the back-up vocals for Geo perfectly.

Fluid.

C. Tran would be proud. lol
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 2:22 pm

Welll..you got your Rock The Bells for the year...lol...dope fucking lineup,,mustve had a ball that day...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 3:26 pm

acrid.one wrote:
Welll..you got your Rock The Bells for the year...lol...dope fucking lineup,,mustve had a ball that day...

Shit was tight! I know you're big on the festivals too, right? I missed Rock The Bells the first year, and they never came back...lol...so this was the next best thing. And since I'm a junkie for local material, it was extra cool. lol

They had some dope graf artists, but not nearly enough!
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 4:28 pm

How Was:
Atmosphere
Brother Ali
Imm.Tech.
One Be Lo

BK-ONE...thats ringing a bell...who is the artist?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 4:46 pm

acrid.one wrote:
How Was:
Atmosphere
Brother Ali
Imm.Tech.
One Be Lo

Atmosphere was good, but typical. Meaning they are consistently good, but it's the same old show favorites.

Brother Ali was tight. Again, typical. LOL - Don't know what to say. I've seen him 8 times. Dude is a good performer, and I've been noticing he's been happier at his shows lately. Very good set.

I wish I would have seen more of Immortal Technique. He's another one I've seen about 3-4 times, so I was at the other stage for a while. He was dope as usual. Rough and raw like his albums. I always dig IT.

One Be Lo was one I had not seen yet, and it was one of my favorites. He performed very well and was picking all the right tracks IMO. I'd definitely go see him again.

BK-One is Brother Ali's DJ at live shows....provided Ant does not show up...which he rarely does unless it's Atmosphere (he did show up with Slug for maybe their biggest crowd ever (?)).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 4:48 pm

acrid.one wrote:

Also, he was listed separately because he probably had a solo mix/set in the b-boy tent.
Back to top Go down
steez
Half Dolla
Half Dolla
steez

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 3:42 am

Damnn is this only in Minnesota?? dope lineup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 3:45 am

Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:

Me too. But I couldn't pull myself away...lol...Geologic and Sabzi got some pure illness going on together. They are very much in tune with each other. Sabzi does the back-up vocals for Geo perfectly.

Fluid.

Damn right! Blue Scholars are dope live! Who listens to El-P/Dibbs anyways, that's nerdy hip hop :sleep:
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 10:07 am

No, it's emo. Don't you listen to Brian Lantham?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 11:33 am

steez wrote:
Damnn is this only in Minnesota?? dope lineup

Yep, it's put on by Rhymesayers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 11:37 am

wrote:
Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:

Fluid.

Damn right! Blue Scholars are dope live! Who listens to El-P/Dibbs anyways, that's nerdy hip hop :sleep:

LOL - I figured Exzakt would have a thing to say about that...lol. Blue Scholars possess that duo a chemistry should have on stage. Unfortunately, very few duos possess it to that degree.

Shon wrote:
No, it's emo. Don't you listen to Brian Lantham?

El-P? lol...he did say that didn't he...
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 4:11 pm

He said that about basically anything that wasn't SPC or Rap-A-Lot related lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sound Set '09 (review)   Sound Set '09 (review) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sound Set '09 (review)
Page 1 of 1