Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Album of the 80's: Day 6

Go down 
+3
T. Myers
Shaun
Norfeest
7 posters

NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Album of the 80's: Day 6 Vote_lcap69%Album of the 80's: Day 6 Vote_rcap
 69% [ 9 ]
Eazy E - Eazy-Duz-It
Album of the 80's: Day 6 Vote_lcap0%Album of the 80's: Day 6 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
EPMD - Strictly Business
Album of the 80's: Day 6 Vote_lcap31%Album of the 80's: Day 6 Vote_rcap
 31% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

Album of the 80's: Day 6 Empty
PostSubject: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 3:18 pm

NWA is on a roll like Roxanne...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 3:18 pm

And NWA stays on that roll like butter
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 3:25 pm

EPMD
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 3:41 pm

EPMD
Back to top Go down
Dwight
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 3:45 pm

NWA
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 3:50 pm

NWA retains
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 4:02 pm

NWA with Eazy being my next pick.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 4:15 pm

NWA slightly over EPMD
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 8:25 pm

The EPMD album isn't quite extraordinary enough to beat N.W.A IMO...close though (I'm talking to you Powell).
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:03 pm

Alan wrote:
The EPMD album isn't quite extraordinary enough to beat N.W.A IMO...close though (I'm talking to you Powell).

I actually agree with that Alan...that NWA album changed the game man...I voted for EPMD because I like that album better and have played that one much more...but objectively I think NWA should win here!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:06 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Alan wrote:

I actually agree with that Alan...that NWA album changed the game man...I voted for EPMD because I like that album better and have played that one much more...but objectively I think NWA should win here!

lol...that's cool. Didn't know if you ranked it higher than the Slick Rick album.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:09 pm

However, the EPMD album has just as many standout/single-type of tracks. A few top 100 singles/cuts for me. I do see why one would pick EPMD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:11 pm

Alan wrote:
However, the EPMD album has just as many standout/single-type of tracks. A few top 100 singles/cuts for me. I do see why one would pick EPMD.

Same here. I picked NWA because I bump it more, but EPMD's debut ranks around the same area for me.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:25 pm

Man, i don't want to knock SOC. It's a great album, but i honestly think it's stature in the game is due more to its importance than it is to it's quality. The album is raw, energetic, and important, but Dre has bested the production on this album at least 4 or 5 times. As raw as Cube was, he only improved as an MC. Ren improved. There's no denying that SOC is the more legendary/important album, but when just based on the music. Strictly Business is a more complete/better album.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:29 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Man, i don't want to knock SOC. It's a great album, but i honestly think it's stature in the game is due more to its importance than it is to it's quality. The album is raw, energetic, and important, but Dre has bested the production on this album at least 4 or 5 times. As raw as Cube was, he only improved as an MC. Ren improved. There's no denying that SOC is the more legendary/important album, but when just based on the music. Strictly Business is a more complete/better album.

CO-SIGNAGE!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:33 pm

T. Myers wrote:

I can respect that opinion. But even if you prefer Strictly Business, neither is light years better than the other. It's a very close race between SOC and SB. Both are timeless classics.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:42 pm

T. Myers wrote:

I wouldn't say all that. You may say Cube has improved over the years. But I'd honestly take Cube from N.W.A. through his first full-length before anything else in his catalog. And seeing how I'm not a super fan of Cube anyway, I don't listen to a ton of Cube to begin with...I own his later classics, I just play them less. Also, you can't say the album was littered with sub-par rappers, like some would say about Dre's later projects. It was 100% dope. That made me like the production even more....because the lineup was so great. And that's precisely why it takes out EPMD IMO. Lyrical talent and substance. I may even say I prefer the production on S.O.C.. Just cause it's raw doesn't mean it's sub-par IMO...it was fitting. The album (S.O.C.) has 6 songs in my top 100 though. lol
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:53 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

I can respect that opinion. But even if you prefer Strictly Business, neither is light years better than the other. It's a very close race between SOC and SB. Both are timeless classics.

Yeah, there isn't a huge gap at all. Both are in my top 25. So, i'm not pissed that SOC is gonna win.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:59 pm

Alan wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

I wouldn't say all that. You may say Cube has improved over the years. But I'd honestly take Cube from N.W.A. through his first full-length before anything else in his catalog. And seeing how I'm not a super fan of Cube anyway, I don't listen to a ton of Cube to begin with...I own his later classics, I just play them less. Also, you can't say the album was littered with sub-par rappers, like some would say about Dre's later projects. It was 100% dope. That made me like the production even more....because the lineup was so great. And that's precisely why it takes out EPMD IMO. Lyrical talent and substance. I may even say I prefer the production on S.O.C.. Just cause it's raw doesn't mean it's sub-par IMO...it was fitting. The album (S.O.C.) has 6 songs in my top 100 though. lol

I never said the album was littered with sub par rapper. I never said being raw meant it was an inferior product. I was mentioning those factors as a plus. I just said the artists have performed their tasks better on later albums. There is no denying that NWA trumps EPMD in terms of talent, but it is possible for the sum of an album to be greater than its parts. Being a Beastie's fan, you should know that.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I just said the artists have performed their tasks better on later albums. There is no denying that NWA trumps EPMD in terms of talent, but it is possible for the sum of an album to be greater than its parts. Being a Beastie's fan, you should know that.

I'd still say that's mostly opinion (the first sentence). I personally enjoy all the rappers most on SOC. I do agree with your second sentence though. But the opposite of what you're saying I think. The sum of SOC's parts is what makes it better IMO. Because if we were talking about solos from the Crew, the EPMD album would get my vote fore sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 10:35 pm

N.W.A. wins this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Album of the 80's: Day 6   Album of the 80's: Day 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1