Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drake-Thank Me Later

Go down 
+2
T. Myers
J. Harris
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Drake-Thank Me Later Empty
PostSubject: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 1:03 am

Fucking wack. Any other thoughts?
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 1:05 am

I'm with you N3R0. Wack on all levels. The fact that they keep pushing this piece of shit down our throats is even more ridiculous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 1:11 am

Yeah. And I don't even HATE this dude. I thought he did a good job on that "Forever" song and has a little bit of promise. These beats are just fuckin awful and it's the same goddamn formula on every song. This is just outright wack. At least Cudi's album had some different shit on there (even if I hated that, I could at least understand why some people might like it, whereas this album has no appeal at all IMO).

This is kind-of a bad look for hip hop in general IMO, because if the mainstream figures out how wack this shit is too, it's going to look like the future of hip hop sucks in general.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 2:15 am

i liked over...not too much the second single... will still peep it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 11:16 am

I listened to it yesterday and it was average at best. Not whack but nothing to warrant all the hype. See this is when the hype bites you in your ass. They built him up just for him to slip down a little. He's still young and its his 1st official album so he may bounce back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 11:48 am

I'll have to see a tracklisting for this. I was peeping random songs on youtube claiming to be from this album and I would not call it wack. Probably average to above average, but definitely in line with my expectations of what it was going to be. It's not deep or hardcore rap or anything, but it's not meant to be. Just some commercial, summertime shit. For what it is, it worked well on all the songs I heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 11:55 am

Oh yeah its a good album for chilling out with a lady friend or a summer evening get together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 11:58 am

KRob86 wrote:
Oh yeah its a good album for chilling out with a lady friend or a summer evening get together.

Exactly, which is all I was expecting from it.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 2:40 pm

I didn't like the album at all really. It was a disappointment to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 2:41 pm

The album might be bad, but to be honest all the general vague criticisms make me not place much weight on anyone criticizing it so far. I guess a more detailed breakdown of the album would be the helpful way to go.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 2:45 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
The album might be bad, but to be honest all the general vague criticisms make me not place much weight on anyone criticizing it so far. I guess a more detailed breakdown of the album would be the helpful way to go.

Well, the album is all over the place IMO. it's a hodge podge of styles. it's like Lil Wayne meets, B.O.B. meets 808's Kanye. Drake has the skils to make good music. I dig So Far Gone(which may have raised my expectations) and some guest spots of his, but this just didn't do it for me. I only spun it once. I'll give it more listens to see if it grows on me, but there was nothing on the album that reached out and grabbed me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 2:59 pm

KRob86 wrote:
I listened to it yesterday and it was average at best. Not whack but nothing to warrant all the hype. See this is when the hype bites you in your ass. They built him up just for him to slip down a little. He's still young and its his 1st official album so he may bounce back.

Pretty much my feelings too. I thought he was better prior to signing with Young Money, now he just sounds like a Lil Wayne clone. It's nowhere near as good as So Far Gone was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 3:03 pm

well...we'd all be fooling ourselves if we didn't think he was already down with young money and young money didn't have a huge part in his mixtape blowing. I'll have to hear the album before I decide, but so far the singles have been in line with what was on So Far Gone...
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 3:09 pm

probably not checking for this, dont care
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 3:37 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
well...we'd all be fooling ourselves if we didn't think he was already down with young money and young money didn't have a huge part in his mixtape blowing. I'll have to hear the album before I decide, but so far the singles have been in line with what was on So Far Gone...

Sure it had a lot to do with him blowing, but that's irrelevant. I'm just speaking of the quality. You'll probably end up diggin it, but personally I thought it was a 3 star effort.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 3:46 pm

Are you guys talking about blowing or blowing up? Because those are two very different scenarios where I come from.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 3:48 pm

No KJ, you tried to imply that somehow Drake's quality of music fell off once he became affiliated to young money. But his best work, and the mixtape you like, So Far Gone, was made AFTER he was affiliated to young money, even if he hadn't signed to them officially yet. So your assertion that young money killed him or he sounds like a lil' wayne clone now doesn't hold true.

In fact, right now he sounds more like a bob or kanye clone than a lil' wayne clone and his rap verses don't sound like wayne, wayne has a free frenzied random rap style right now. Drake's is very calculated and deliberate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 3:58 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
No KJ, you tried to imply that somehow Drake's quality of music fell off once he became affiliated to young money. But his best work, and the mixtape you like, So Far Gone, was made AFTER he was affiliated to young money, even if he hadn't signed to them officially yet. So your assertion that young money killed him or he sounds like a lil' wayne clone now doesn't hold true.

In fact, right now he sounds more like a bob or kanye clone than a lil' wayne clone and his rap verses don't sound like wayne, wayne has a free frenzied random rap style right now. Drake's is very calculated and deliberate.

Drake shows flashes of his old self on some tracks on this album, but for the most part he doesn't sound the same. I'd take Comeback Season over this album as well. He does sound similar to Wayne on many tracks. I can see the BOB/Kanye 808 version comparisons as wel thoughl. And I wasn't implying that his quality fell off after he signed with YM, I was flat out saying it, LOL.

Like I said before, you'll probably end up liking this album (at least more than I do) but to me it was average at best.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 4:07 pm

Hmm. I thought So Far Gone was decent. Nothing great, yet showed potential. But after reading the poor reviews on this album I'm no longer interested in hearing. Pass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 5:51 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Drake shows flashes of his old self on some tracks on this album, but for the most part he doesn't sound the same. I'd take Comeback Season over this album as well. He does sound similar to Wayne on many tracks. I can see the BOB/Kanye 808 version comparisons as wel thoughl. And I wasn't implying that his quality fell off after he signed with YM, I was flat out saying it, LOL.

Like I said before, you'll probably end up liking this album (at least more than I do) but to me it was average at best.

Like I said KJ, I reserve judgment for hearing it first. Some people are bashing this like its a 1 star record. I enjoyed the BOB, I wouldn't rate it more than 3.5, but I still enjoy the CD for what it is. This Drake will probably fall in that same category. I just think the unnecessary hate or criticism is a bit extreme. So yeah, they are hyping this kid up like the next big thing. He is over hyped, his music does have an overinflated sense of arrogance, but just because he doesn't drop a 5 star or even a 4 star record doesn't mean he's wack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 7:05 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Like I said KJ, I reserve judgment for hearing it first. Some people are bashing this like its a 1 star record. I enjoyed the BOB, I wouldn't rate it more than 3.5, but I still enjoy the CD for what it is. This Drake will probably fall in that same category. I just think the unnecessary hate or criticism is a bit extreme. So yeah, they are hyping this kid up like the next big thing. He is over hyped, his music does have an overinflated sense of arrogance, but just because he doesn't drop a 5 star or even a 4 star record doesn't mean he's wack.

I don't think he's wack, but he is tremendously overrated just like his boss.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 12:17 am

I think the BOB is 4.5 stars or better. And I think this album is garbage. The beats suck, like, flat out suck, in most instances. Like I said, I think Drake is a talented dude and I expected much better than this. I think this is a 1-2 star album. That's my opinion and I"m entitled to it. I don't expect you to necessarily agree with me, SRP, but you don't have to disregard my opinion simply because you don't think you'll agree with it (especially when you haven't even heard the album in question). I was seriously hoping for a decent album from dude, and I didn't "buy into" his hype by any means. I thought So Far Gone was grossly over rated (the EP, anyway, the mixtape was better...but I felt the best tracks were left off the EP).

And KJ, you're a Lil Wayne hater, so you're opinion isn't valid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 12:55 am

I dismiss your opinion because it has been vague and baseless in this thread so far. Maybe drop some specific critiques, name a few songs you didn't like and why, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 1:00 am

Fireworks and the song with Jay-Z were dope. The song with Jeezy was okay, and I didn't care for the two singles. The rest of the album suffers from schizophrenic beats, hackneyed hooks, and themes that don't seem to make much sense IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 2:46 am

N3R0N0N Of 0nslaught3r wrote:

By you saying that, you're agreeing that Drake has become a Wayne clone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 10:15 am

KJ Styles wrote:

By you saying that, you're agreeing that Drake has become a Wayne clone.

No, I was mocking the "logic" you try to use whenever some one disses Nas.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 12:30 pm

Fireworks and Light Up were the only good tracks IMO. The album plays out like mixtape and doesn't really appeal to me at all. The fact that Drake's talent is being downplayed by a shit product is ludicrous. The work he did with some Canadian cats some years back blows this shit album out of the water. Also, WTF is up with him sounding like he is from the South mixed with Kanye influence. His voice is fucking annoying. He definitely didn't sound like that a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 5:21 pm

This is basically 808s & Heartbreak with more rapping. There is entirely too much singing going on here. It's not whack but this is definitely not the top notch album that some folks were probably expecting. He sings on over half the album and while it has its moments, I prefer the EP over this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jun 2010, 1:33 pm

Nothing to say KJ? That's what I thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jun 2010, 1:41 pm

Nothing to say KJ? That's what I thought.

SMH, Are we 5 years old, Jeff? Seriously???

The reason I didn't respond is because I never came back to this thread after I posted my comments. But it's whatever. We pretty much have the same opinion on this album so it just seems like you're arguing with me just for the sake of arguing, which is childish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jun 2010, 1:45 pm

No, I pointed out an inconsistency in your logic, and you failed to respond. And when you finally responded you still ignored my point. That's childish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drake-Thank Me Later   Drake-Thank Me Later Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drake-Thank Me Later
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: