Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...

Go down 
+5
Laced With Slang
Funk Seoul Brother
D.Powell
T. Myers
Justin Linker
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Who is the better lyricist out of these 3
2Pac
Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Vote_lcap55%Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Vote_rcap
 55% [ 11 ]
Slick Rick
Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Vote_lcap25%Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Vote_rcap
 25% [ 5 ]
Method Man
Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Vote_lcap20%Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Empty
PostSubject: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:26 pm

2Pac
Slick Rick
Method Man
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:30 pm

Well, Slick Rick does not belong on the list at all. Meth and Pac are close lyrically, but Pac separates himself with his passion and subject matter. Pac is number three on my all time list.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:31 pm

Who are the other 2 above Pac? Out of curiosity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:32 pm

Colonel Sanders and the Popeyes lady
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:32 pm

Pac bitches... fuck a powell....
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:34 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Pac bitches... fuck a powell....

LOL...faggot man speaks up again
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:36 pm

these two dudes LYRICALLY are killing Pac...and quite easily too

Sadat X would KILL Pac lyrically too and so would Grand Puba but they don't make my top 20 emcees list because of other factors, but they would smush his ass lyrically...Lord Finesse and Craig G (in a battle)
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:54 pm

Neither Method Man or Slick Rick has ambitions as a rider so I'll take Pac.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:06 pm

D.Powell wrote:
these two dudes LYRICALLY are killing Pac...and quite easily too

Sadat X would KILL Pac lyrically too and so would Grand Puba but they don't make my top 20 emcees list because of other factors, but they would smush his ass lyrically...Lord Finesse and Craig G (in a battle)

Powell likes to smush ass...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:19 pm

I think you should match up people lyrically for their lane for ex...

Face
Pac
DMX

Meth
KRino
Keith Murray

Too Short
Tela
Suga Free

etc...because lyrics on a whole scale imo would not be judged fairly.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:21 pm

Nah Kev. I did this to prove a point. Powell says Slick Rick and Meth are lyrically better than Pac...which is the reason for this thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:27 pm

I gotcha..exposing that ole bias huh?..lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:53 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Well, Slick Rick does not belong on the list at all. Meth and Pac are close lyrically, but Pac separates himself with his passion and subject matter. Pac is number three on my all time list.

How the fuck does Slick Rick not belong on the list???? He's the greatest storyteller of all time and one of the best lyricists ever. I definitely feel that line for line, he's the best LYRICIST of these three.

2Pac is one of the best RAPPERS of all time without a doubt, but he's NOT the best LYRICIST of all time. His strength are his subject matter and his flow.

I've always felt that Method Man has been overrated as a solo artist. I'm not saying that he's wack, but he OFTEN phones it in, ESPECIALLY on his solo albums. At best he's the 4th best lyricist in Wu-Tang behind GZA, Deck, and Ghostface.

Slick Rick may only have one classic under his belt, but that's more than what Meth has as a solo artist. Not to mention that he's spent a lot of time behind bars and that's hurt his career quite a bit. His status as a great LYRICIST however, cannot be questioned.

If the question was who's the best RAPPER out of these three, I'd pick Pac. But the question is who's the best LYRICIST of these three. In my honest opinion, that's Slick Rick. Line for line, he's better than Pac and Meth.

I know I'm gonna get ridden to death for this, but I'm only being honest and if being honest is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:56 pm

Slick Rick shouldn't be on the list because he is overrated. I hope that clears it up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:57 pm

to me a lyricist is a rapper that has some advanced word play, not deep heart felt make you cry bullshit. jk both are important but this is a bad selection of rappers because imo they are all different.

tupac is also overrated
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:58 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Slick Rick shouldn't be on the list because he is overrated. I hope that clears it up.

I wholeheartedly disagree, but opinions are like buttholes, everyone has them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 11:01 pm

The Mothafuckin GZA wrote:
to me a lyricist is a rapper that has some advanced word play, not deep heart felt make you cry bullshit. jk both are important but this is a bad selection of rappers because imo they are all different.

You know, I disagree with Cory more often than anyone on this forum, but on that statement he was 100% correct.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 11:01 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Slick Rick has never reached the level of his first album. Often times he seems nonsensical at best now. Even on his classic debut, i don't see great lyricism. There is plenty of great storytelling, but i don't completely think that justifies his inclusion as a great lyricist. Just my opinion though.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 11:02 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
The Mothafuckin GZA wrote:

You know, I disagree with Cory more often than anyone on this forum, but on that statement he was 100% correct.

As different as they are, there was a reason for these three specific rappers.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 11:12 pm

you cant compare these three.

Pac conveyed a lot of social messages with his lyrics

and Meth wants to bury you with dope lines and word play i cant compare these

a better comparison would be 2Pac, Chuck D, and Ice Cube...or something like that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 11:18 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Slick Rick has never reached the level of his first album. Often times he seems nonsensical at best now. Even on his classic debut, i don't see great lyricism. There is plenty of great storytelling, but i don't completely think that justifies his inclusion as a great lyricist. Just my opinion though.

2Pac is a POET moreso than a LYRICIST. He doesn't have advanced vocab nor does he flip mindblowing punchlines. That doesn't make him a lesser artist, it just means that he's a DIFFERENT type of artist.

Pac's style is more like Scarface's or DMX's. He's dope because of his subject matter and flow, not because of his lyrical prowess.

Slick Rick is a great LYRICIST because his verses make you hit the rewind button. His classic debut and The Art Of Storytelling are prime examples of that. Even his lesser albums displayed it. The Ruler's Back and Behind Bars were more a result of sub-par production than lyrics.

As I said above with Meth, he's a dope lyricist but he doesn't always display it. That's why I can't give him the nod here.

This isn't the ideal triple threat match, but since it was put up I offered my opinion, and it stands. I feel that Slick Rick is the best LYRICIST out of these three.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 7:09 am

J. Linker of 0nSlaught3r wrote:
Nah Kev. I did this to prove a point. Powell says Slick Rick and Meth are lyrically better than Pac...which is the reason for this thread.

And I stand behind everything I said...Linker do you really think that the opinions of those on this forum are really going to change my position...you motherfuckers can run a billion 2Pac surveys, I'll still respect him as one the best to ever do it...top 50 material no doubt about it, but he will never be one of the strongest LYRICISTS in my opinion, his subject matter and emotion will always be what made 2Pac, well 2Pac, it's what made him different from all the rest and a legend in his own right...

he's an undeniable legend but this survey should be clumped in with Steve's other survey meaning it's worthless....
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 7:12 am

T. Myers wrote:

Terry by that statement I can tell your not completely familiar with Slick Rick, just like I don't completely know DJ Quik, which is why on any of his stuff on this forum I just don't say anything

you don't really know Rick's career like that which is to be expected because he was killin shit in the late 80's and early 90's...
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 7:29 am

D.Powell wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Terry by that statement I can tell your not completely familiar with Slick Rick, just like I don't completely know DJ Quik, which is why on any of his stuff on this forum I just don't say anything

you don't really know Rick's career like that which is to be expected because he was killin shit in the late 80's and early 90's...

Wrong again Powell. I'm familiar enough with Rick to know that i think he is overrated. Obviously I'm not as familiar with him as you are, but then again, who is? Like I've said before, a person can be dope and still be overrated. Slick Rick is an example of that. Seriously, he has ONE HOT ALBUM, and now he's in your top 20? The Slick Rick that did Children's Story and stuff with Doug E Fresh is not the same Slick Rick on the rest of his albums. The Art of Storytelling and The Rulers Back were cool, but you'd be a liar if you said they weren't a let down. Behind Bars was not good. 1 out of his 4 albums were really great. The dude has a 25% success rate, and you want to mention him with Meth and Pac? Get outta here. You're clueless Joe. Rubba Dubba Baby Bubba.!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:21 am

Slick Rick all the way...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:25 am

[quote="T. Myers"][quote="D.Powell"]
T. Myers wrote:
The Art of Storytelling and The Rulers Back were cool, but you'd be a liar if you said they weren't a let down. Behind Bars was not good. 1 out of his 4 albums were really great. The dude has a 25% success rate, and you want to mention him with Meth and Pac? Get outta here. You're clueless Joe. Rubba Dubba Baby Bubba.!

I thought we were talking lyricism...

How is The Art Of Storytelling a "let down"? Not seeing that at all. That's a solid 4-4.5 star album IMO. I even dug "The Rulers Back", but it was not his greatest by any means. "Behind Bars" has some joints I like, but it was a let down for the most part aside from the Dum Ditty Dum Mix of "Behind Bars", which is one of my favorite Slick Rick songs.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:30 am

[quote="Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend"][quote="T. Myers"]
D.Powell wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
The Art of Storytelling and The Rulers Back were cool, but you'd be a liar if you said they weren't a let down. Behind Bars was not good. 1 out of his 4 albums were really great. The dude has a 25% success rate, and you want to mention him with Meth and Pac? Get outta here. You're clueless Joe. Rubba Dubba Baby Bubba.!

I thought we were talking lyricism...

How is The Art Of Storytelling a "let down"? Not seeing that at all. That's a solid 4-4.5 star album IMO. I even dug "The Rulers Back", but it was not his greatest by any means. "Behind Bars" has some joints I like, but it was a let down for the most part aside from the Dum Ditty Dum Mix of "Behind Bars", which is one of my favorite Slick Rick songs.

It is about lyricism, but i don't view Slick Rick as a great lyricist. He showed flashes of great lyricism on his debut, but i never saw the greatness after that. IMO, he is an outstanding storyteller, but that doesn't exactly make him a great lyricist. now Pac wasn't a great lyricist either, but he had just as many moments of great lyricism. He was also more consistent to me. That is why Pac and Meth were the two people i had a hard time picking between. Meth has reached higher highs lyrically, but i felt Pac was far more consistent than Meth.

Also, the definition of lyricism is not clearly defined, and people view lyricism differently. If we were talking just battling, Meth would wipe the floor with both MC's, If we are talking about Storytelling, Slick Rick would get that one, If we are talking about raw honest lyrics, Pac gets that one. IMO, Pac encompasses all three of those moreso than the other two.

Last edited by T. Myers on Tue 09 Jun 2009, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:34 am

T. Myers wrote:
[It is about lyricism, but i don't view Slick Rick as a great lyricist. He showed flashes of great lyricism on his debut, but i never saw the greatness after that. IMO, he is an outstanding storyteller, but that doesn't exactly make him a great lyricist. now Pac wasn't a great lyricist either, but he had just as many moments of great lyricism. He was also more consistent to me. That is why Pac and Meth were the two people i had a hard time picking between. Meth has reached higher highs lyrically, but i felt Pac was far more consistent than Meth.

Fair enough, but I still don't feel Slick Rick is overrated, and I do feel he's a very good lyricist. I don't think any of them blow each other out of the water, but Slick Rick would still be my pick.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:41 am

T. Myers wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Wrong again Powell. I'm familiar enough with Rick to know that i think he is overrated. Obviously I'm not as familiar with him as you are, but then again, who is? Like I've said before, a person can be dope and still be overrated. Slick Rick is an example of that. Seriously, he has ONE HOT ALBUM, and now he's in your top 20? The Slick Rick that did Children's Story and stuff with Doug E Fresh is not the same Slick Rick on the rest of his albums. The Art of Storytelling and The Rulers Back were cool, but you'd be a liar if you said they weren't a let down. Behind Bars was not good. 1 out of his 4 albums were really great. The dude has a 25% success rate, and you want to mention him with Meth and Pac? Get outta here. You're clueless Joe. Rubba Dubba Baby Bubba.!

Terry while I appreciate the attempt at humor please do NOT ever do it again...LMAO

Slick Rick lyrically beats up two of your favorites and your mad about that, neither 'Face nor Pac can see this dude with googles, glasses or bi-focals, a fuckin microscope...I think you see the picture my dude nice and clear....

again this is my opinion.....
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:44 am

D.Powell wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Terry while I appreciate the attempt at humor please do NOT ever do it again...LMAO

Slick Rick lyrically beats up two of your favorites and your mad about that, neither 'Face nor Pac can see this dude with googles, glasses or bi-focals, a fuckin microscope...I think you see the picture my dude nice and clear....

again this is my opinion.....

It's all good Paleozoic Powell. You're entitled to your opinion even if it's wrong. I still got Powell-afornia Love.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:46 am

Terry, I think you highly underestimate "The Art of Storytelling". I'd give that one another spin if I were you.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:49 am

Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
Terry, I think you highly underestimate "The Art of Storytelling". I'd give that one another spin if I were you.

I gave that album plenty of credit. It's a nice 4 star album, but i still felt let down by the album. Maybe it was my fault for expecting more. It had it's fair share of great stories, nice beats, and guest spots. It just wasn't close to touching his debut.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:49 am

Exactly Pounds...Terry is straight snoring man

Hey Terry remove the pillow and wake-up my dude...Rick is one of the best to ever do it my dude...it wasn't just his "accent" that made him a legend, those lyrics made him the greatest storyteller to ever do it

he's got more that just one hot album my dude

yes, jail fucked up his overall career but his lyrics are still potent
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 9:53 am

I'm not sleeping at all. I just don't slober over all things NYC. Slick Rick is a great MC, he was just above average lyrically to me, and he never lived up to the hype he created with his first album. Legends always live up to the hype. Pac did it. KRS did it. Face did it. LL did it. BDK did it. Kool G Rap did it. Cube did it. hell, even Biggie did it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 10:00 am

T. Myers wrote:
I'm not sleeping at all. I just don't slober over all things NYC. Slick Rick is a great MC, he was just above average lyrically to me, and he never lived up to the hype he created with his first album. Legends always live up to the hype. Pac did it. KRS did it. Face did it. LL did it. BDK did it. Kool G Rap did it. Cube did it. hell, even Biggie did it.

It's clear you're just not much of a fan of Slick Rick. Maybe you would have enjoyed "The Art Of Storytelling" more had you not gone in with all those expectations. I mean, what were you expecting? It was recorded 11 years after his debut. If anything, it was a great "comeback" album....or his best since his debut. You shouldn't have been expecting a golden age classic with that one. I just don't really see how Meth & Pac are better lyricists without bias.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 10:02 am

T. Myers wrote:

he's not above-average Terry and neither is Chuck D whom I've heard that term used for in the past at least IMO

I'm not "slobbering" over Rick but giving him his respect due my dude...if he was wack then I would say "fuck him, he's wack" but dude is a legend man...he's very nice with that mic device Terry, but I respect if your just not feeling him...it's all good man!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 10:04 am

T. Myers wrote:

It's clear you're just not much of a fan of Slick Rick. Maybe you would have enjoyed "The Art Of Storytelling" more had you not gone in with all those expectations. I mean, what were you expecting? It was recorded 11 years after his debut. If anything, it was a great "comeback" album....or his best since his debut. You shouldn't have been expecting a golden age classic with that one. I just don't really see how Meth & Pac are better lyricists without bias.

I expected a focused effort since Rick had the time and support. He showed he was capable of releasing a classic, and i expected similar results. It did not pan out that way, and i was disappointed. I just don't really see how Slick Rick is a better lyricist without bias.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 10:09 am

T. Myers wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

I expected a focused effort since Rick had the time and support. He showed he was capable of releasing a classic, and i expected similar results. It did not pan out that way, and i was disappointed. I just don't really see how Slick Rick is a better lyricist without bias.

I have heard a number of people call "The Art Of Storytelling" a classic, but it doesn't quite reach that IMO. I think I do like it more than you.

I'm not saying your bias opinion is worse than anyone's, but you started off the thread by saying "Slick Rick does not belong on the list at all.". Which many obviously disagree with. lol
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 10:11 am

yeah, I should have prefaced it with "IMO" instead of presenting it like it was a fact.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 11:14 am

T. Myers wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

I don't see how Pac or Meth is better without bias. Pac is a POET not a LYRICIST, and Meth's solo discography is very subpar save for Tical, and even THAT album is only 4 stars IMO. I'd take Slick Rick's debut AND The Art Of Storytelling over that album.

I also take under consideration that Rick spent about 7 years of his career in prison, so that kinda affected the quality of The Ruler's Back and of course, Behind Bars. That said, he's still a great lyricist. You don't have to agree, but I'm simply being objective.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 11:24 am

"I don't see how Pac or Meth is better without bias. Pac is a POET not a LYRICIST, and Meth's solo discography is very subpar save for Tical, and even THAT album is only 4 stars IMO. I'd take Slick Rick's debut AND The Art Of Storytelling over that album. "

Discography has nothing to do with how lyrical someone is. Canibus has a pretty bad discography and he'd rip 99% of the world lyrically
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 11:27 am

Shon wrote:
"I don't see how Pac or Meth is better without bias. Pac is a POET not a LYRICIST, and Meth's solo discography is very subpar save for Tical, and even THAT album is only 4 stars IMO. I'd take Slick Rick's debut AND The Art Of Storytelling over that album. "

Discography has nothing to do with how lyrical someone is. Canibus has a pretty bad discography and he'd rip 99% of the world lyrically

I never said it did Shon. I recognize that Meth is an awesome lyricist, but he often phones it in and his solo discog is a prime example of that. I'd say that Canibus; discog is comparable to Meth's. Rip The Jacker is his Tical.

Meth sounds better when rhyming with Wu or Redman than he does by himself IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 11:32 am

KJ Styles wrote:
Meth's solo discography is very subpar save for Tical, and even THAT album is only 4 stars IMO. I'd take Slick Rick's debut AND The Art Of Storytelling over that album.

I may give Tical slightly more, but I agree. I'd take both Slick Rick albums over it.

Shon wrote:
Discography has nothing to do with how lyrical someone is.

Try to keep up Shon....lol

The discussion has evolved including discography as well.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 11:35 am

These are three different types of lyricists. Pac's strength was writing poetic and emotive lyrics. Slick Rick, great storytelling. Meth, more straight ahead, kill the track, type of stuff. So it's hard to judge them against each other.

So, to compare them, the best thing is probably to look at who accomplished their lyrical goal the best. I'd throw Meth out right away then, he had his moments, but I wouldn't even put him among the best for his brand of lyricism. The idea that "Pac is a POET not a LYRICIST" is kind of bs to me, they're not mutually exclusive things. He certainly was able to reach a lot of people with his writing, drawing an emotional connection with his words. And Slick Rick was preeminent story teller. When it comes down to it though, there really is a dearth of material for Slick Rick, in comparison to Pac, even just counting the material Pac released when he was alive. So, I think I'll go Pac in the end.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 2:13 pm

KJ is just a hater, that's all it is. Him and Powell think Biggie and anybody NYC is a lyrical God, while Pac couldn't keep up. Ask them to quote a bar or a verse that Pac can't hang with and they get quiet AWFULLY quick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 2:24 pm

Steve wrote:
KJ is just a hater, that's all it is. Him and Powell think Biggie and anybody NYC is a lyrical God, while Pac couldn't keep up. Ask them to quote a bar or a verse that Pac can't hang with and they get quiet AWFULLY quick.

I'm not a Pac hater and you know that. I just prefer Biggie. However, you're a Biggie hater!!!

I recognize Pac's greatness and know he's one of the best that after did it, yet you constantly bash Biggie! So who's the hater???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 2:28 pm

Well, Pac has years upon years of records and measurable impact and influence on the game, where Biggie has 2 albums that may or may not be classic (yeah they are both probably hip-hop classics...after he died). Biggie got famous off his beef with pac. Then he went to the next stratosphere with his death...Pac was already there while he lived. Biggie was a nobody and Pac was puttin him on, givin him a chance to rhyme together and gain some notoriety, but then biggie stuck pac with some bullshit gun charges by running like a bitch, and started to rhyme like pac, like hes a don and on that shit. YOU CANNOT BE THE GREATEST IN TWO ALBUMS. If Barry Sanders only played 2 years, could he be the GOAT? If AP died now would he be the GOAT running back? HELL NO dude!
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 2:36 pm

Barry Sanders >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 2:37 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Barry Sanders >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

indeed. Barry is the GOAT
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 2:40 pm

Steve wrote:
Well, Pac has years upon years of records and measurable impact and influence on the game, where Biggie has 2 albums that may or may not be classic (yeah they are both probably hip-hop classics...after he died). Biggie got famous off his beef with pac. Then he went to the next stratosphere with his death...Pac was already there while he lived. Biggie was a nobody and Pac was puttin him on, givin him a chance to rhyme together and gain some notoriety, but then biggie stuck pac with some bullshit gun charges by running like a bitch, and started to rhyme like pac, like hes a don and on that shit. YOU CANNOT BE THE GREATEST IN TWO ALBUMS. If Barry Sanders only played 2 years, could he be the GOAT? If AP died now would he be the GOAT running back? HELL NO dude!

I understand what you're saying when it comes to the longevity thing, but I believe that if Cube had died after Death Certificate he'd probably be considered the GOAT or at least a GOAT. Same if Nas died after It Was Written, or Rakim after Follow The Leader. However, I don't think Pac would be considered as such after Strictly For My N****z.

Sports and music are different, because in sports you're not only judged by your individual stats, but you are also judged by how good you make your team, and how many championships you've won. In music, it's all about numbers and Biggie has the numbers to constitute being a GOAT.

But all that stuff about Biggie being a nobody after Pac put him on was BULLSHIT! Mista Cee was the guy that REALLY put Biggie on, Pac was just an associate/running buddy who he took advice from. Big never stuck him with any gun charges either. Pac thought that Biggie set him up to be shot, which isn't true, Otherwise, he would have never fucked with Biggie the way he did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...   Who is the best lyricist out of these 3... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who is the best lyricist out of these 3...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next