Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Roots - How I Got Over

Go down 
+7
Laced With Slang
Norfeest
T. Myers
Jason
Shaun
parker lewis
Alan
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

My rating is.....
The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_lcap0%The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_lcap50%The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_rcap
 50% [ 6 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_lcap17%The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_rcap
 17% [ 2 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_lcap17%The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_rcap
 17% [ 2 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_lcap8%The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_lcap8%The Roots - How I Got Over Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

The Roots - How I Got Over Empty
PostSubject: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jul 2010, 6:59 pm

Now that it's had some time to sink in, how would you rate it?

I'm a bit confused by a lot of the lackluster talk about the album. I've been playing it on repeat for 3 days now. I got it right behind Game Theory. I'm digging the direction waaaaay more than Rising Down. A lot of it is like lounge music or some shit. Not nearly as experimental than their more recent stuff and just plain more enjoyable as a whole IMO. Nicer hooks and melodies for sure. I've already listened to this one more than Rising Down.

4.25 stars
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jul 2010, 9:56 pm

2.5 crappy doo-doo
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jul 2010, 10:02 pm

lmao
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jul 2010, 10:05 pm

I think Randy Newman executive produced.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jul 2010, 10:23 pm

You're on crack Parker, this is a dope album. I don't see how a Roots fan (even a casual one) wouldn't like this joint.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jul 2010, 10:32 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I think Randy Newman executive produced.

The Roots + Randy Newman could work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 10:06 am

Since 3.75 isn't an option i'll say 4.0. I really wanted more Black Thought on this album less guest.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 1:43 pm

I'm not a casual fan. The Roots are easily one of my favorite groups, and Black Thought is one of my favorite emcees. I even pay close attention to ?uestlove's side projects and anything these guys endorse.

I just think Game Theory and after has been a disappointing era for them. I'm hoping this is rock bottom and they get back to that punch-you-in-the-mouth-jazz sound, or even some of the soul music they've always laced their albums with. Going by fan acceptance id say that's not happening.

I see no reason to feel that not liking their last three albums has anything to do with me being a fan. Hate it or love it, the new Roots is definitely a departure. They were bound to lose a few folks on the way. I'm one of em.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 3:06 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I'm not a casual fan. The Roots are easily one of my favorite groups, and Black Thought is one of my favorite emcees. I even pay close attention to ?uestlove's side projects and anything these guys endorse.

I just think Game Theory and after has been a disappointing era for them. I'm hoping this is rock bottom and they get back to that punch-you-in-the-mouth-jazz sound, or even some of the soul music they've always laced their albums with. Going by fan acceptance id say that's not happening.

I see no reason to feel that not liking their last three albums has anything to do with me being a fan. Hate it or love it, the new Roots is definitely a departure. They were bound to lose a few folks on the way. I'm one of em.

SMH, you're one of the few of them they've lost but it's whatever. I've liked all of their albums. Rising Down was their second weakest effort but it's still a 4 star album IMO. Game Theory and How I Got Over are near classics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 3:59 pm

you throw the term classic out way too easily KJ. Game Theory and How I got Over are both solid IMO, but not near classic.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 4:10 pm

I like the album, but i'd be lying if i said the album hasn't lost replay value to me. I got it around 4 stars which is down from the 4.25 stars i gave it initially.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 4:39 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
you throw the term classic out way too easily KJ. Game Theory and How I got Over are both solid IMO, but not near classic.

Well you think every UGK album is classic save for Blood Money, while I only have two of them rated at 5 stars, so it's goes both ways. It's all a matter of opinion.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 4:40 pm

I'm with Terry. The replay value has dropped a little. I got it at 4 stars as well.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 4:49 pm

Yeah that UGK "Blood Money" was a pretty bad album. Maybe if they would have named it Dirty Money it would have sounded better? Who knows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 4:59 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Yeah that UGK "Blood Money" was a pretty bad album. Maybe if they would have named it Dirty Money it would have sounded better? Who knows.

LMAO. Indeed. UGK Blood Money is one of the only UGK CDs I never heard. But UGK is THE GOAT group so it is only natural they have 5 5 star classics
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 5:14 pm

I could've sworn the title of that album was "Dirty Money", lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 5:51 pm

Wayne wrote:
I could've sworn the title of that album was "Dirty Money", lol.

It was Wayne, me and Kevin are just making fun of the fact KJ called it Blood Money.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 6:16 pm

im feelin this Roots album a lot. Not sure where it ranks yet, i have to update my album of the year list anyway but this album is up there its at least 4 stars but it needs more spins from me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 7:07 pm

KRob86 wrote:

That was a typo, but Dirty Money AND Blood Money both sucked IMO.

I like and respect UGK, but they don't have five classic albums. The most I could see is 3 objectively. Personally I only rate 2 of them that highly.

How I Got Over>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any UGK album not named Ridin Dirty or Super Tight

Last edited by KJ Styles on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 7:09 pm

Dirty Money sucked in comparison because it did not live up to UGK's five star catalog, but it is still solid. Blood Money just sucked in general as an album and poor excuse for music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 7:56 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

That was a typo, but Dirty Money AND Blood Money both sucked IMO.

I like and respect UGK, but they don't have five classic albums. The most I could see is 3 objectively. Personally I only rate 2 of them that highly.

How I Got Over>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any UGK album not named Ridin Dirty or Super Tight

Oh wow, lets not do Roots vs. UGK, lol. Seriously though, not to take the light from the How I Got Over thread, I consider Dirty Money a strong 4 star album, not a classic though. IMO, all of UGK albums are classics with the exceptions of Dirty Money and UGK 4 Life, however, UGK 4 Life *may* become a personal classic of mine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 7:57 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Dirty Money sucked in comparison because it did not live up to UGK's five star catalog, but it is still solid. Blood Money just sucked in general as an album and poor excuse for music.

Am I just noticing that you're referring to Mobb Deep's Blood Money album, lol?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 8:41 pm

KRob86 wrote:

hahahahaha, that really did make me laugh out loud.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 8:42 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

hahahahaha, that really did make me laugh out loud.

Lol.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 8:53 pm

cmon KJ How I Got Over isnt clear cut better than Too Hard to Swallow either or arguably Underground Kingz
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 8:56 pm

The only album in UGK's discog worse than How I Got Over is Dirty Money, but i would honestly play that over How I Got Over too. I iz a stan though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 8:57 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
cmon KJ How I Got Over isnt clear cut better than Too Hard to Swallow either or arguably Underground Kingz

Clear cut maybe not, but I dig it more personally. THTS and UK are 4 star albums IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 9:01 pm

T. Myers wrote:
The only album in UGK's discog worse than How I Got Over is Dirty Money, but i would honestly play that over How I Got Over too. I iz a stan though.

Yes you are, just as SRP is but he won't admit it. Dirty Money is by far the weakest album between either group.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 9:02 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Yes you are, just as SRP is but he won't admit it. Dirty Money is by far the weakest album between either group.

Yeah but you're not a Roots stan, right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 9:04 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Never said I wasn't
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 9:06 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Never said I wasn't

indeed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 9:07 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Never said I wasn't

indeed.

That said though, even a non-Roots stan could easily see that they're one of the most consistent groups of all time.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 9:11 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Never said I wasn't

indeed.

That said though, even a non-Roots stan could easily see that they're one of the most consistent groups of all time.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would argue that
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 10:43 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

SMH, you're one of the few of them they've lost but it's whatever. I've liked all of their albums. Rising Down was their second weakest effort but it's still a 4 star album IMO. Game Theory and How I Got Over are near classics.

I'd have to agree. At this point, even after my initial review, I'd give How I Got Over 4.5 stars now. The standouts are dope as hell on this album IMO. Still haven't taken it out of the car CD player. I honestly like it more than Big Boi's new album, which I like quite a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 11:04 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

I'd have to agree. At this point, even after my initial review, I'd give How I Got Over 4.5 stars now. The standouts are dope as hell on this album IMO. Still haven't taken it out of the car CD player. I honestly like it more than Big Boi's new album, which I like quite a bit.

Glad to hear that you're diggin it more Pounds. I'm not sure if I like it as much as Big Boi's album but it's definitely close. Lyrically I'd go with How I Got Over, production wise I'd go with Sir Lucious Left Foot.

One thing is for certain though. Hip Hop in 2010 is already better than all of 2009 was, and we've only gotten through the first half.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 11:23 pm

I actually think the first half of 09 was a little better than this year so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 4:00 pm

Jason wrote:
I actually think the first half of 09 was a little better than this year so far.

I disagree. There's a bunch of albums that are within sniffing distance of classic status so far, not so much in the first half of 09.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 4:05 pm

Like how hermaphrodites are within sniffing distance of being sexy bitches.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 5:55 pm

Doin' It Again>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of the greatest cuts of the year...
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 9:48 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Jason wrote:

I disagree. There's a bunch of albums that are within sniffing distance of classic status so far, not so much in the first half of 09.

As I see it, the only great Hip-Hop albums so far this year are How I Got Over, The Stimulus Package, Sir Lucious Left Foot, with a handful of other good albums, whereas last year by this point The Ecstatic, Let the Children Die, Never Better, Brooklynati, Yes!, Georgiavania, A Pipe Dream and a Promise, and The Lonely Ones were all out. You must think the are more great albums this year than I do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 11:27 pm

Jason wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Jason wrote:

As I see it, the only great Hip-Hop albums so far this year are How I Got Over, The Stimulus Package, Sir Lucious Left Foot, with a handful of other good albums, whereas last year by this point The Ecstatic, Let the Children Die, Never Better, Brooklynati, Yes!, Georgiavania, A Pipe Dream and a Promise, and The Lonely Ones were all out. You must think the are more great albums this year than I do.

Yep apparantely I do. Distant Relatives is my current AOTY. I originally rated the album at 4.5 stars but I've been spinning it constantly since it's release so now I'm rating it 5 stars. The other 3 you rated are great as well along with Dinner & A Movie and a handful of dope albums.

Out of those albums you named from 09, the only one I consider great is Brooklynati. UGK 4 Life and Padded Room were superb too. There were a handful of other good albums but the most of the gems didn't drop until around August of last year IMO. And even then I only have one album from 09 rated as a classic, and that would be Montezuma's Revenge. Based on what's due to come out in the second half of the year, I'm sure we'll see at least a couple more classics out of the bunch.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010, 10:09 am

I'm giving this 4.25.

Radio Daze >>>>>>>>>

Doin It Again >>>>>>>>>

Web 20/20 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>......haters
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:47 pm

Damn! This one is definitely getting even better as it gets older. Anyone else feel the same way?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:49 pm

No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:52 pm

Speak for yourself Terry, I agree with Taylor. If not for Web 20/20 I'd be inclined to call this a classic album. It's 4.5-4.75 stars IMO.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 11:04 pm

Terry's a hater. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 11:18 pm

This is no where near 4.75 stars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 11:24 pm

Steve wrote:
This is no where near 4.75 stars.

That's all a matter of opinion. Personally, I only skip one track on this album.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 6:34 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
Damn! This one is definitely getting even better as it gets older. Anyone else feel the same way?

Hell yes, I got his at 4.5 stars still. #4 album of the year. And my favorite mainstream album I've heard yet this year...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 7:03 pm

How Big Boi can not be anyone's favorite mainstream album is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Roots - How I Got Over
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: