Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top 5 hip hop duos of all time

Go down 
+4
Half
D.Powell
T. Myers
Justin Linker
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Empty
PostSubject: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:50 pm

Let the picks begin!
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:52 pm

Outkast
Outkast
Outkast
Outkast
Outkast

and

Outkast

I'm like Powell I have to pick 6!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:54 pm

By duo, do you mean 2 man group or can 2 MC's and a DJ qualify?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:56 pm

I'm just throwing this out there before Powell gives his picks. Run DMC are absolutely not a duo. Don't even try to include them. LOL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:56 pm

Fuck a run dmc.

UGK
Outkast
Gangstarr
Eric B and Rakim
Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:57 pm

KJ Styles wrote:

Both qualify.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:58 pm

Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Both qualify.

bullshit - 3 people is not a duo.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:59 pm

wouldn't 2 mc's and a DJ be a trio? My math skills are a little fuzzy, but i can still understand 2+1=3.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:59 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Both qualify.

bullshit - 3 people is not a duo.

Well, let me retract that, lol. 2 MCs qualify.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:00 pm

a duo is two people in a group. if we are talking best two mc tandems then we'd be talking random shit like eminem and 50, scarface and nas, etc...
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:01 pm

Run-DMC is not a duo. SMH. The DJ is every bit of a member. If not, then you can't include DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince...or even Little Brother before 9th left (he was a producer, but still credited as a member of LB)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:03 pm

Indeed - according to these dumb ass rules Eric B and Rakim are a solo act... as is Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff... so I need to replace those on my list. Gangstarr is a solo act as well...
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:04 pm

You don't have to contribute vocals to be a member of a musical group. If that was the case, bands wouldn't exist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:05 pm

SMH, y'all a bunch of homos (except for Wayne). Already whinin and everybody ain't even give they picks...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:07 pm

Off the top of my head, I would pick:

UGK
Outkast
Mobb Deep
EPMD
Smif N Wessun
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:07 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
SMH, y'all a bunch of homos (except for Wayne). Already whinin and everybody ain't even give they picks...

You're a fucking homo bitch douche idiot for even fucking asking a dumbass question like does a fucking trio count as a duo because my groupie bitch ass wants to nominate the same fucking group in any fucking thread so shut the fuck up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:08 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

You're a fucking homo bitch douche idiot for even fucking asking a dumbass question like does a fucking trio count as a duo because my groupie bitch ass wants to nominate the same fucking group in any fucking thread so shut the fuck up.

Eat a dick on a taco shell Pedro.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:10 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:10 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Learn to count to two you retarded oaf.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:11 pm

Outkast
UGK
Mobb Deep
dead prez
8Ball & MJG
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:12 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Learn to count to two you retarded oaf.

2's your IQ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:13 pm

Mobb Deep
8Ball and MJG
EPMD

all deserving picks
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:15 pm

If one considers Run-DMC a duo because JMJ didn't provide vocals, then you can't say Questlove, Kamal, etc. are members of The Roots.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:18 pm

Run-D.M.C. is a duo...

LOL...who made up these stupid rules regarding this man?? the OFFICIAL name of the group was never Run-D.M.C. and Jam Master Jay...I have never seen it written that way even though Jay was probably the most important member of the collective...but the OFFICIAL name never mentioned him as a member of the group unlike Eric B and Rakim or Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince..... so I'm counting them as a duo...now onto my list

1.Run-D.M.C.-easily the greatest duo of all-time

2. Gang Starr

3. EPMD

4. Mobb Deep

5. Pete Rock And CL Smooth
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 3:21 pm

Outkast
Gang Starr
Mobb Deep
Pete Rock and CL Smooth
UGK
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 5:15 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Run-D.M.C. is a duo...

LOL...who made up these stupid rules regarding this man?? the OFFICIAL name of the group was never Run-D.M.C. and Jam Master Jay...I have never seen it written that way even though Jay was probably the most important member of the collective...but the OFFICIAL name never mentioned him as a member of the group unlike Eric B and Rakim or Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince..... so I'm counting them as a duo...now onto my list

2. Gang Starr

3. EPMD

4. Mobb Deep

So it would be Guru "Gang" and Primo "Starr"? Which member of Mobb Deep is Mobb, and which is Deep? I'm confused. What does the name of the group have to do with anything? Run DMC is a trio, regardless of Jay's name not being mentioned in the group name.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 5:18 pm

I'll say N.W.A. Since everyone knows Ren and Cube wrote their lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 5:30 pm

im noly doing this on MC duos

Outkast
Mobb Deep
Heltah Skeltah
UGK
Ghostface & Raekwon
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 6:32 pm

Myestro wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
Run-D.M.C. is a duo...

2. Gang Starr

3. EPMD

4. Mobb Deep

So it would be Guru "Gang" and Primo "Starr"? Which member of Mobb Deep is Mobb, and which is Deep? I'm confused. What does the name of the group have to do with anything? Run DMC is a trio, regardless of Jay's name not being mentioned in the group name.

I'm only going on the official name they used my dude.....the two examples you gave make absolutely no sense because Mobb Deep could mean ANY amount of people and so could Gang Starr.....Run-D.M.C. specifys 2 distinct people so there a major difference IMO!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 6:35 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:

Outkast
Mobb Deep
Heltah Skeltah
UGK
Ghostface & Raekwon

I've never heard of the duo "Ghostface & Raekwon" ???

what did they release under the name "Ghostface & Raekwon??? Only Built For Cuban Linx was a Raekwon solo project featuring Ghostface so I already know that doesn't count so what exactly did this duo release???
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 6:43 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

Outkast
Mobb Deep
Heltah Skeltah
UGK
Ghostface & Raekwon

I've never heard of the duo "Ghostface & Raekwon" ???

what did they release under the name "Ghostface & Raekwon??? Only Built For Cuban Linx was a Raekwon solo project featuring Ghostface so I already know that doesn't count so what exactly did this duo release???

R.A.G.U.

Raekwon and Ghost United
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 6:47 pm

a mixtape???

LMAOOOOOOOOO!

gotcha my dude!

that certainly make them a top duo in hip-hop of all-time....I can clearly see it now man!
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 6:49 pm

D.Powell wrote:
a mixtape???

LMAOOOOOOOOO!

gotcha my dude!

that certainly make them a top duo in hip-hop of all-time....I can clearly see it now man!

Haha I didn't list them, but a mixtape is enough for some people, just think back to Drake's mixtape
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 8:36 pm

D.Powell wrote:
a mixtape???

LMAOOOOOOOOO!

gotcha my dude!

first of all, they are a duo. Not an "official" duo but a duo none the less, they even have a fucking name, R.A.G.U.

second, they have had more than enough collaborations to consider them among the top 2 MC tandems. And OBFCL was Raekwon Featuring Ghostface it says it on the cover. And Ironman was Ghostface featuring Raekwon, again it says it on the cover. They have been part of each others official releases.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 10:55 pm

Blue Scholars
Common Market
Blue Scholars
Common Market
Blue Scholars
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 11:17 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
a mixtape???

LMAOOOOOOOOO!

gotcha my dude!

first of all, they are a duo. Not an "official" duo but a duo none the less, they even have a fucking name, R.A.G.U.

second, they have had more than enough collaborations to consider them among the top 2 MC tandems. And OBFCL was Raekwon Featuring Ghostface it says it on the cover. And Ironman was Ghostface featuring Raekwon, again it says it on the cover. They have been part of each others official releases.

you just said they weren't an "official" duo Slang...stop it man...and please stop including Only Built For Cuban Linx or Ironman in your debate...you just picked these 2 because you are WU-TANG...lol...plain and simple...these 2 dudes ain't no damn DUO!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 11:18 pm

Ghostface's first SOLO project was IRONMAN

Raekwon's first SOLO project was Only Built For Cuban Linx

nice try though!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 8:42 am

I could understand OB4CL and RAGU, but i do think it's a bit of a stretch. By Slang's logic behind OB4CL, Ironman should be discounted cause it says Cappadonna too. Maybe Slang should list them on the Trio thread. LOL!
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 11:29 am

T. Myers wrote:
I could understand OB4CL and RAGU, but i do think it's a bit of a stretch. By Slang's logic behind OB4CL, Ironman should be discounted cause it says Cappadonna too. Maybe Slang should list them on the Trio thread. LOL!

how arent they a duo though, seriously? they have just as many collaborations as some of these official groups.

they probably have more songs together than method man and redman
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 11:45 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

how arent they a duo though, seriously? they have just as many collaborations as some of these official groups.

they probably have more songs together than method man and redman

Yeah, i feel you, but it's all about perception i suppose. For instance, Atmosphere would be considered a duo, but Brother Ali and Ant probably would not be. In reality, there isn't much if any difference that separates the dynamics of those two acts other than the group name and solo name. Does that make sense, or did i just confuse everyone? LOL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 12:01 pm

If I said Eminem and Dr. Dre, Slang would bitch. He's just KJing it up, logically speaking.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 12:05 pm

maybe Snoop and Dre should count. They did an entire album together
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 12:16 pm

T. Myers wrote:
maybe Snoop and Dre should count. They did an entire album together

So did Em and Dre?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 12:20 pm

Snoop and Dre are a duo

Em and Dre are probably a duo too

but for the purpose of this thread im only looking at it as MC duos, but others arent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 12:24 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Snoop and Dre are a duo

but for the purpose of this thread im only looking at it as MC duos, but others arent

I'm pretty sure they were looking at groups, and you clearly aren't. My post was merely to point out that a mixtape and album with a co-headlining billing doesn't constitute a duo.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 12:28 pm

M1dw35t3rn Rap Pr0 wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Snoop and Dre are a duo

I'm pretty sure they were looking at groups, and you clearly aren't. My post was merely to point out that a mixtape and album with a co-headlining billing doesn't constitute a duo.

a duo to me when talking about "the best duos of all time" are two MCs that have either released albums together or done tons of songs together and are known or were known make music together, such as Ghost & Rae, Snoop & Dre, Royce & Eminem (yes they are/were a duo to me), Talib Kweli & Mos Def, etc.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 8:07 pm

Outkast
UGK
8Ball & MJG
Gang Starr
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
*Mobb Deep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 hip hop duos of all time   Top 5 hip hop duos of all time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5 hip hop duos of all time
Page 1 of 1