Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What you been reading?

Go down 
+10
Norfeest
TheHazardous
Half
ACRID"
T. Myers
Cold Loungin
Deanie O'Banion
parker lewis
Dang! Trotter
Esco
14 posters
AuthorMessage

What you been reading? Empty
PostSubject: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 12:44 am

My last two flips:

MF Grimm - Sentences (interesting, if every embellished life story here, it really reads like one long monologue, but I dug it).

Walking Dead Compendium - Finally got through this. Easily my favorite series, even if the characters and story telling can feel a little abrupt and extreme at times.
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 12:59 am

I read Mystic River, its by the dude who wrote Shutter Island. Pretty cool murder mystery, great characters I'm sure many people would enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 2:06 am

Web of the Chozen by Jack L Chalker. The same author of the brilliant Well World series. The book was printed in 1978 and the plot is strikingly similar to Avatar. A hot shot space cadet gets marooned on a planet with strange alien and he begins to transform into one of the alien beings himself. He learns the ways and culture of these aliens called the Choz and forgets about being human . He even get a girl friend and knocks her up. Then his human capadres finally catch up with him and decide they wanna blow the planet up. So much like Avatar.
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 2:08 am

I've been interested in reading some books from the Well World series since you posted it about a year ago. Haven't been able to find it in any libraries though.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 2:25 am

Food of the Gods by Terence McKenna

His thesis on the identity of the Middle East's "Soma", an ancient food that brought celestial bodies to those who ate it. Anthropologically, he postulates that psilocybin mushrooms have played a major role in human development, all the way back to the origins of ego and spoken language. He believes that cows are revered as sacred because they are seen as producers of the mushrooms, i.e. vessels of god on earth.

Occupied Voices by Wendy Pearlman

Interviews with Palestinian "citizens" in Gaza and West Bank. The lack of free flowing information concerning the Israeli occupation is proof positive of corporate media's willful and effective propaganda campaign. So interesting to be introduced to Palestinian human beings who have never touched a rocket launcher. Who'd a thunk it?

Holocaust Industry by Norman Finkelstein

Just finished this one. An awesome account of the ways that massive amounts of money and leverage have been secured for top Israeli and Jewish-American officials through the American court system. Virtually every nation, including Switzerland, in Europe has been strongarmed into coughing up obscene amounts of dough that will never be seen by actual survivors - or even people in need. Let's not overlook the power of labeling any and all dissension as Anti-Semetic, thereby neutralizing all opposition. An affective "get out of jail free card" for countless crimes against humanity and justice.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 2:50 am

Where's Wally?

It is a picture book and some place in the picture is Wally. He wears a red and white striped hat. The key is to find him as fast as you can. You might think i'm stupid but i finished this book in half an hour while yours took you months. This gave me more time to watch tv
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 2:52 am

Waldo changed to Wally? When did this happen?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 2:59 am

Always been Wally here. I wasn't aware of any name change
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 3:18 am

Those books have been around since at least the late 80's and his name was Waldo back then. I haven't seen one in a long time tho. When I was a freshman or sophmore this nerd at my school dressed up like him for the senior class group yearbook picture in the football field bleachers. He was easy to spot since his class only had like 700-800 kids in it.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 3:29 am

Just wiki'd it, his name is Wally in most countries except the U.S. & Canada... all be GD'd, had know idea.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 4:42 am

He's always been Wally over this way far as I know.. Back in the 90's we used to have a similar thing called Hunt With Hooroo! hahaha Same type of book except you had to find Hooroo the Kangaroo.

I picked up a book a while back called Baby Insane and the Buddha but havent got around to reading it yet. Its about a Crip called Baby Insane and a Cop called Buddha.... Anyone read this one ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 8:36 am

Wally had a cartoon as well i think
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 8:51 am

I've always known it as Where's Waldo. I wonder why they changed it in North America.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 8:59 am

I don't read
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 9:01 am

Im reading the entire 'Goosebumps' series in one sitting
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 10:07 am

ACRID" wrote:
Im reading the entire 'Goosebumps' series in one sitting

Oh shit that's what's up man....that will take you quite some time lol

I finally got my hands on The Brothers Karamazov...
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:10 am

Dresden Files
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:18 am

I only read magazines that have naked women in them...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:35 am

Indeed Norf

I read The 6th Day...like 8 years ago. lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 12:57 pm

Ulysses by James Joyce

Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen

And I'm taking a Shakespeare class, so I've read his sonnets, The Rape of Lucrece, Richard III, Hamlet and Twelfth Night

And I'm always reading short stories. Recently I've read some stuff by James McPherson, Margaret Atwood, Flannery O'Connor, Chris Offut and Jim Nichols
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 1:38 pm

Check The Technique- Liner Notes For Hip Hop Junkies

Dope ass book!
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 3:19 pm

Aang wrote:

edit: look at
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 3:21 pm

norf reads titties

hey norf:

Boob!!!!
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 3:24 pm

World War Z by Max Brooks...

World War Z is a fictional account of a worldwide outbreak of the living dead in the near future. The story is told thru interviews by the surviving parties involved. Great read if youre into this kinda stuff...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 3:27 pm

I got world war z for christmas, need to read it. His zombie survival guide was funny
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 3:45 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I got world war z for christmas, need to read it. His zombie survival guide was funny

There's a movie coming out for world war z with brad pitt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 3:52 pm

Yeah, I heard. Brad Pitt I am not high on though. Woulda preferred robert downey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 4:05 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Yeah, I heard. Brad Pitt I am not high on though. Woulda preferred robert downey

Pitt's not a bad actor. Thought he was great in Se7en but Downey is better I agree.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 4:18 pm

ACRID" wrote:
Aang wrote:

edit: look at

Wait, wait...hold up...

Those mags have very interesting articles. How else would I know what Ms. July's turn-offs are? lls
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 4:22 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Pitt's not a bad actor. Thought he was great in Se7en but Downey is better I agree.

I think Pitt wasn't a bad actor would be a better statement... I feel once these actors get full of themselves their acting suffers.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 10:40 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Food of the Gods by Terence McKenna

His thesis on the identity of the Middle East's "Soma", an ancient food that brought celestial bodies to those who ate it. Anthropologically, he postulates that psilocybin mushrooms have played a major role in human development, all the way back to the origins of ego and spoken language. He believes that cows are revered as sacred because they are seen as producers of the mushrooms, i.e. vessels of god on earth.

Occupied Voices by Wendy Pearlman

Interviews with Palestinian "citizens" in Gaza and West Bank. The lack of free flowing information concerning the Israeli occupation is proof positive of corporate media's willful and effective propaganda campaign. So interesting to be introduced to Palestinian human beings who have never touched a rocket launcher. Who'd a thunk it?

Holocaust Industry by Norman Finkelstein

Just finished this one. An awesome account of the ways that massive amounts of money and leverage have been secured for top Israeli and Jewish-American officials through the American court system. Virtually every nation, including Switzerland, in Europe has been strongarmed into coughing up obscene amounts of dough that will never be seen by actual survivors - or even people in need. Let's not overlook the power of labeling any and all dissension as Anti-Semetic, thereby neutralizing all opposition. An affective "get out of jail free card" for countless crimes against humanity and justice.

Holocaust industry sounds right up my alley
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 11:10 pm

Reading is soooooo...1990's
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 12:30 am

Trotter, you would dig everything Finkelstein. Check out his YouTube debates or the American Radical doc.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 12:55 am

Justin Linker wrote:
Reading is soooooo...1990's

Theres a certain satisfaction that comes from reading. When you finish reading a book there is a sense of accomplishment you don't get from mediums like movies and videogames
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 7:51 am

You'll get a sense of accomplishment watching Mr. Nobody. Torrent that... American Radical, too. You'll like both of those, guaranteed.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 12:51 pm

nothing now but im about to read A Place to Stand by Jimmy Santiago Baca
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 12:53 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
You'll get a sense of accomplishment watching Mr. Nobody. Torrent that... American Radical, too. You'll like both of those, guaranteed.

You dug it that much, Park?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 1:09 pm

Yeah, man. I'm all about time travel, parallel dimensions...I can't even remember all the metaphysical concepts touched on in that film.The best movie I've seen in a long time. I'm not usually into arthouse type movies, but this was too good to dismiss.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 1:11 pm

Honestly, I've been a fan of Jared Leto since I saw him in Requiem For A Dream and Highway, and this just solidified my confidence in his work. I wish he'd leave that rock shit alone and focus on acting...

But yeah, I remembered that String Theory thread and I wasn't sure you'd be into it because of all the different stuff they kinda throw at you in the film, but I think the story itself makes it all work. Definitely a movie intelligent people should see IMO.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 1:14 pm

I don't think it would alienate those who aren't interested in the physics of it, though. It presents everything in the human context. The story is (stories are?) touching, for lack of a better term.
Back to top Go down
boet
The REAL Ninja 'Round These Parts
boet

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 1:59 pm

The. Bridge -David Remnick

Autobiography on obama, njoying it, finding out a lot o things I never knew bout your pres.

Acid Alex - Al Lovejoy

Google it, easily one o the best biographies I've ever read, and I've read a lot. A manuscript of one of south africas biggest drug smugglers, it focuses more on his upbringing and journey through life more so than his smuggling. Well worth a read if you can find it. I know you can read some o it on google books, or yahoo, or one o them.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 8:12 am

I'm about halfway through "Culture Jam: How to Reverse America's Suicidal Consumer Binge - And Why We Must".

It is the manifesto of Kalle Lasn, who is also the founder of Adbusters Magazine. It is a very light read, despite the levity in the subject matter. You can get it delivered from Amazon for around $7. I strongly recommend this to everyone here. There is not a single one of us that wouldn't find this book interesting.

Mind you, I'm not saying everyone here would unilaterally subscribe to the author's sentiments...but everyone would enjoy the book.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 8:51 pm

Read?! umad Reading is not gangsta.

But for real, I've read the following books:

American Dreams Lost and Found- by Studs Terkel
Debating Race with Michael Eric Dyson
The Tao of Wu- The RZA

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Sep 2010, 6:38 am

I just finished MF Grimm's Sentences. I really liked the book. It's a quick read, and it kept me engaged. He did a good job, imo.
Back to top Go down
boet
boet

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Sep 2010, 7:33 am

The beach - alex garland

The movie REALLY doesn't do that shit justice.

J-pod - can't remember

Dope book, funny too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What you been reading?   What you been reading? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What you been reading?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: The Lounge :: Cold Kickin' It-
Jump to: