Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dälek

Go down 
+5
Laced With Slang
Norfeest
Alan
Shaun
Half
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Dälek Empty
PostSubject: Dälek   Dälek Icon_minitimeMon 23 Aug 2010, 9:55 am

Dälek Dalek

If you have been on here or Amazon for a while you know that this group is probably one of my favorite hip hop groups/bands ever. They certainly aren't the most accessible group but they have a very unique, distinct sound (name me another hip hop group that sounds like this, impossible) that I just cannot get enough of. A lot of detractors will take shots at Dälek (the mc - the group has the same name) for his uncommon rhyme style and flow that typically sounds like Guru on downers, and although this argument certainly has some merit, Dälek isn't a robot. Actually, on most tracks he puts a lot of emotion into his lines, which deal with politics, religion, racism, and hip hop culture, amongst other topics. Finally, the production will definitely put a lot of people off, although I consider it to be reminiscent of the Bomb Squad, adjusted for the desensitized listeners of today. With that little intro, I'll go into their studio albums - I don't have all of their EPs.

Negro Necro Neckros - Their first album. Basically a blueprint for what the group would do later on its career, the production has a very bare bones feel to it. The vocals aren't too buried as they are in later releases. This album bangs though. For a while I considered this to be their weakest release but not anymore. Highlights include the atmospheric Images of .44 Casings, Swollen Tongue Bums, and the final track Praise Be The Man. All the tracks are good though. 4 stars.

From Filthy Tongue of Gods And Griots - This album is a modern classic in my opinion. There is so much variety on this album it's ridiculous. The group makes some hard hitting tracks to start off the album, with Spiritual Healing opening with a very abrasive modified guitar loop thrown on top of heavy drum beats. This track is followed by Speak Volumes, one of my favorite tracks from the group, which starts off pretty heavy and ends on a somber note, fading away with pretty ambiance. ...From Mole Hills follows, which is probably the most traditional hip hop sounding track on the album. Fittingly, the subject matter is respect for hip hop's roots and culture. The album's second half reveals that this group could have decided not to do hip hop at all and would still be making albums. Black Smoke Rises is probably the darkest, most nightmarish track I have heard on a hip hop album. Although, this track isn't really hip hop....it's basically spoken word over torturous electronics. Very creepy the first time you hear it. A couple of tracks later, and you have the beautiful Forever Close My Eyes....it simply has to be heard - my description probably won't do it justice. Overall, a dope listening experience with endless replay value. 5 stars.

Absence - This is the album that expanded the group's fan base a lot....probably because it's the least hip hop sounding of all their albums. Go look at reviews or comments, and you'll see a lot of people saying things like "I never listened to hip hop, but this album got me into the genre" or really ignorant things like "Hip hop isn't very good, but this stuff is awesome". I'm pretty sure the group hated this, as they continually emphasize that what they do is hip hop, regardless of how unorthodox they get. This album is really abrasive, and you could tell the group members listened to a lot of industrial and noise music. The highlights include the awesome opener Distorted Prose, the catchy Eyes To Form Shadows, and the outro Opiate The Masses (guess what this is about lol). It has lost some replay value for me over time though. 4 stars.

Abandoned Language - This is another gem from the group. This album is completely different from Absence in that excluding the fifth track Lynch, which is full of blaring horns and deep bass, this album doesn't really seek to beat the listener over the head with harsh and oppressive noise. It's a very somber, ambient, and ultimately beautiful album. It's also the closest to traditional hip hop. In my eyes, this is another classic from the group that I think every hip hop fan needs to hear. There isn't a bad or even mediocre track on here. However, there are some tracks that do stand out, and they include the excellent, personal title track, the catchy single Paragraphs Relentless, the emotional Content To Play Villain (my favorite Dälek track), Tarnished, and Stagnant Waters. A 5 star album in my eyes.

Gutter Tactics - This album came out in January of last year, and it is the most political album by the group thus far. The album opens with Blessed Are Those Who Bash Your Children's Heads Against A Rock, which features a quote from the now infamous Rev. Jeremiah Wright. I personally love this intro. The intro transitions quickly into No Question, which is a very traditional-style hip hop track, although the track loses some punch due to surprisingly poor recording quality. However, the rest of the album comes correct. The highlights include We Lost Sight (my fav hip hop track from 09), Atypical Stereotype, and Who Medgar Evers Was.... I'll give it 4.5 stars. OB4CL2 was my favorite hip hop album from 09 for a while, but it lost some replay value, while I still spin this album regularly, so I have decided to make this #1 from 09.

Deadverse Massive Vol. 1: Rarities 1999-2006. This is a really cool compilation of some ep tracks and remixes from the group. This is definitely for fans only though. Highlights include Music for ASM, Maintain, and Back to Burn. 4 stars.

At least give these guys a try if you haven't.
Back to top Go down

Dälek Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dälek   Dälek Icon_minitimeMon 23 Aug 2010, 10:13 am

Hook up some youtube links to their best songs iyo please.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Dälek Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dälek   Dälek Icon_minitimeMon 23 Aug 2010, 10:47 am

Here's a decent interview: