Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The "other" Rapper

Go down 
+9
gametheory91
Deanie O'Banion
Half
TheHazardous
Laced With Slang
Funk Seoul Brother
Shaun
T. Myers
Wanduras
13 posters
AuthorMessage

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 10:07 am

Every group has there main rapper that shines over the rest. Whether its 3000, Bun B, Scarface, Ghost & Meth, or whoever the other member(s) seems to get lost in the frontman's hype rhyme skill wise. So who are your top 3 "other" rappers and why?
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 10:11 am

That is really cold to say Big Boi is second banana to 3 Stacks. I think they're about as equal as it gets. Same for Bun B and Pimp-C (RIP).

I would say:

Sen Dog
Havoc
Vinnie (NBN)
Back to top Go down

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 10:13 am

1. Willie D- he was the front man of the Geto Boys during the Grip It era but Face took over after that. IMO Willie D is not as far behind Face as some may perceive. Willie D is one of the most rawest rappers I have ever heard. No thrills, no hidden messages, or style flexing. Just str8 up telling it like it is.

2. Khujo- Cee-Lo is the one who gets all the props in Goodie. But Khujo to me was the 2nd best easily. But no one seems to notice. He had some complex lyricism and a very unique rhyme style that a lot of southern emcees have molded themselves off of.

3. Havoc- Wand just gave me my 3rd. When I listen to Mobb Deep I have always noticed how Hav is no slouch lyrically and had better or eqaul verses to Prod on a good amount of songs. But for some reason he only gets props for his beats.

Last edited by KRob TheRapGod on Mon 04 Oct 2010, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 10:15 am

I misunderstood this thread. I thought it was naming the most buried behind the scenes, not the best of those that are buried. I'll have to think it over some more.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 12:55 pm

My top 3 off the top would be

1. MC Ren
2. Hell Razah
3. Flesh N Bone
Back to top Go down

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 3:14 pm

Flesh is a good pick because I never saw the point of him being in Bone. He's aiight but very forgettable. Mainly because of all his long vacations.
Back to top Go down

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 3:31 pm

Big Boi- On the real, I'm almost starting to like him MORE than 3 Stacks. He's easily had the better solo career between the two, and Dre doesn't seem to be doing much lately. I hope that Outkast does another group project soon, but if not then Dre had better drop a dope solo or he'll be end up being the "other" rapper in the group while Big Boi takes over as the leader.

Phife Dawg- On People's Instinctive Travels he was just finding his way, but he was AWESOME on Can I Kick It. But Phife BEASTED IT on The Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders and Beats, Rhymes, and Life. There were a few times where he outshined Q-Tip, and Tip is one of my all time favorite MC's.

Malik B/Dice Raw (tie)- These two have been dope as fuck on Roots albums. Black Thought is the best rapper in the group, but I've always enjoyed both of these guys as well. Had Malik been on How I Got Over, it probably would have hit 5 stars.

Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 7:32 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Even though Malik wasn't on How I Got Over, it's still 5 stars

CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 7:54 pm

I'll co-sign KJ's mention of Phife and Big Boi.

I've always liked Phife better than Q but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves.

Big Boi isn't far off Dre by any means. Its a case of 1A and 1B as far as their group status is concerned.

As for a third mention I'll go with the Akin from CYNE. Cise Starr gets the bulk of the credit and deservedly so but Akin ain't no slouch.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 8:14 pm

Cise wrote:

I've always liked Phife better than Q but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves.

Big Boi isn't far off Dre by any means. Its a case of 1A and 1B as far as their group status is concerned.

As for a third mention I'll go with the Akin from CYNE. Cise Starr gets the bulk of the credit and deservedly so but Akin ain't no slouch.

I left off dudes like Big Boi, MJG, and Pimp C cause they're not the "other" rapper. Depending on the person, they are arguably the best MC in their group.
Back to top Go down

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 8:21 pm

Ren, Phife Dawg, and Vinnie would be my picks off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 8:29 pm

U-God
Phife Dawg
Malice - i like him more than Pusha T
Back to top Go down

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 9:36 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Cise wrote:

I left off dudes like Big Boi, MJG, and Pimp C cause they're not the "other" rapper. Depending on the person, they are arguably the best MC in their group.

Yeah, it's stupid to assume the greatest groups of all time have a weaker link or a weak rapper in the group. For the most part these groups are dope because everyone is talents. This topic would be best suited for maybe groups with a lot of rappers or with hype men emcees that were weak... like vinnie to treach.
Back to top Go down

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 10:04 pm

Wayne wrote:
Ren, Phife Dawg, and Vinnie would be my picks off the top of my head.

Yeah poor Vinnie. The lil guy just trys to rap his heart out but......... The "other" Rapper 820545

Vinnie has some dope rhymes no doubt and he adds to Naughty in his own way.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 10:28 pm

MJG
Big Boi
MC Ren
(However I think all 3 are as talented as their musical brethren. They just don't get the immediate shine.)

*Lord Infamous
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 10:38 pm

Hey guys:

Big Boi > Andre

Phife > Q-Tip

Just in case you forgot.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeMon 04 Oct 2010, 11:58 pm

Only 2 come to mind.

Money-B
TL (N2Deep)
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 12:52 am

Slang Editorial wrote:

Malice - i like him more than Pusha T

Cosign. Malice>Pusha T
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 10:20 am

Another mc that deserves a mention is Fredro. Sticky is a beast, but I like Fredro a lot too.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 1:03 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Another mc that deserves a mention is Fredro. Sticky is a beast, but I like Fredro a lot too.

True, but he's sort of famous from acting. I think Seez is the "other" guy in that group. Anybody hear his solo/s?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 3:22 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
1. Willie D- he was the front man of the Geto Boys during the Grip It era but Face took over after that. IMO Willie D is not as far behind Face as some may perceive. Willie D is one of the most rawest rappers I have ever heard. No thrills, no hidden messages, or style flexing. Just str8 up telling it like it is.

2. Khujo- Cee-Lo is the one who gets all the props in Goodie. But Khujo to me was the 2nd best easily. But no one seems to notice. He had some complex lyricism and a very unique rhyme style that a lot of southern emcees have molded themselves off of.

3. Havoc- Wand just gave me my 3rd. When I listen to Mobb Deep I have always noticed how Hav is no slouch lyrically and had better or eqaul verses to Prod on a good amount of songs. But for some reason he only gets props for his beats.

there is NO fuckin way that Havoc has put it down on Mobb Deep projects LYRICALLY anywhere close to Prodigy IMO.....I'm not sure what songs your hearing that on unless your referring to Blood Money, and as far as the Wil-lay D comments Laughing My Ass Off man that dude better thank his lucky stars that 'Face joined the damn group otherwise they would go down in hip-hop history as being the hip-hop equals to THE RAPPIN' DUKE...da-ha...da-ha...da-ha-da-ha-ha-ha-huh!

as for this thread I co-sign Phife...now that dude has said some shit lyrically more than a few times...

also I want to add Lord Jamar, because although he's the least lyrical out the crew, I've heard him drop a few thangs from time to time....

Last edited by D.Powell on Tue 05 Oct 2010, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 3:53 pm

I'm surprised Powell didn't say Rapper Big Pooh
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 4:10 pm

Shaun wrote:
I'm surprised Powell didn't say Rapper Big Pooh

your right Shaun, let me add him to the mix as well
Back to top Go down

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 5:03 pm

Powell Willie D rapes Phife, Pooh, Jamar, and most of your 80's heros to shreads. Its funny how you can big up an average rapper like Jamar and Phife but talk down on Willie damn D.

And tell me Havoc verse on Shook Ones was not good-great. Havoc has always came tight on the mic just couldn't outshine Prod who also had the better voice going for him also. Havoc is just as good as the rappers you mentioned. ESPECIALLY Big fucking Pooh...lol.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 6:06 pm

5 FT from Black Moon comes to mind.
Back to top Go down

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 7:01 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Powell Willie D rapes Phife, Pooh, Jamar, and most of your 80's heros to shreads. Its funny how you can big up an average rapper like Jamar and Phife but talk down on Willie damn D.

And tell me Havoc verse on Shook Ones was not good-great. Havoc has always came tight on the mic just couldn't outshine Prod who also had the better voice going for him also. Havoc is just as good as the rappers you mentioned. ESPECIALLY Big fucking Pooh...lol.

Phife fuckin MURDERS Willie D. You're just biased against smooth rap. Phife owns Willie like the Giants defense owned Jay Cutler the other night.

Last edited by Big Daddy Kool on Tue 05 Oct 2010, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 7:05 pm

Half wrote:

Phife > Q-Tip

No way, I like Phife and all but Tip is a better overall MC. On The Low End Theory I thought Phife was equal to Tip but on everything else Tip was the undisputed leader.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

The "other" Rapper Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "other" Rapper   The "other" Rapper Icon_minitimeTue 05 Oct 2010, 8:45 pm