Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP to the Cool Ruler

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
yOGi420™
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
yOGi420™

RIP to the Cool Ruler Empty
PostSubject: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 1:22 pm

Reggae legend Gregory Isaacs was called the "Cool Ruler" for good reason.
During the 1970s and 1980s, with a plaintive crooning style that evoked images of slow grinding with a pretty girl on a smoky dance floor, Isaacs carved out his own chapter in reggae music history.
Bob Marley may have been more popular, and Burning Spear may have been more true to the roots, but no reggae legend has ever been cooler than Issac, who penned his classic song "Night Nurse" in 1982.
Isaacs lost a long battle with cancer and died at his London home. He was a too-young 59 when he passed.

Starting out in the wild-west days of Jamaican record-making, where little respect was paid to the concept of copyrights and the same album could be released under different names in different countries, Isaacs has been credited with releasing more that 500 albums in Jamaica, England and the United States.
Issacs worked extensively with dub legends Lee "Scratch" Perry and King Tubby, but the "lovers rock" style of music is where Isaacs made his legend.
He reached his peak of popularity with the aforementioned landmark "Night Nurse." You couldn't turn on the radio or go to a party those years without hearing the refrain of the song, "Night Nurse, only you alone can quench 'dis here thirst," in your ears.

"Night Nurse" hit the charts just after Bob Marley died of cancer, and many reggae writers, obsessed with the impossible question of who would replace Marley as reggae's international ambassador, pointed to Isaacs as the rightful ruler to Marley's empty throne.
It wasn't to be.
Isaacs never produced another record to match "Night Nurse" and got busted for firearm and drug possession on multiple occasions. While still popular, Issacs career seemed to lose steam through the late 90s and in to the new century.
Some reviewers might look at the career of Isaacs as solid but a case of unfulfilled potential.
I don't because in the crowded galaxy of reggae stars who blasted across our consciousness during the 1970s and 80s - the golden era of reggae music - there was only one "Cool Ruler"

Last edited by yOGi420™ on Mon 25 Oct 2010, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 1:23 pm

RIP. I read about this earlier.
Back to top Go down
yOGi420™
yOGi420™

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 1:27 pm

It's a sad day in the world of reggae.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 1:29 pm

RIP to the greatest from Kingston 14, and one of the best there ever was.
Back to top Go down
yOGi420™
yOGi420™

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 1:32 pm

So glad we had several chances to see him and took full advantage of those times. He will be missed.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010, 2:30 am

Bump for all of you that didn't show any love.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010, 3:34 am

I ain't gonna front, I'm not big on reggae and I don't think I heard of Gregory Isaacs before. May his soul rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010, 3:39 am

Most of his stuff is in the Lovers Rock sub genre of Reggae Tran, stuff you can put on a sex mixtape with your Keith Sweats & Ralph Tresvants.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010, 3:41 am

Well I shoudn't say most, but a lot of it is.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010, 3:43 am

lol good to know, I'll give his music a try.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010, 8:44 am

I already talked about this one on my FB blog back when it happened...he was HUGE in the reggae circles....R.I.P.

get up on your reggae for those that don't know!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010, 1:29 pm

RIP to the Cool Ruler, Night Nurse was my favorite track by him.
Back to top Go down
yOGi420™
yOGi420™

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2010, 2:19 pm

Night nurse is probably his most famous with private beach party and feeling irie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP to the Cool Ruler   RIP to the Cool Ruler Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP to the Cool Ruler
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: The Lounge :: Cold Kickin' It-
Jump to: