Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Empty
PostSubject: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 3:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 4:50 pm

SMH at your edited title. You should have read the ENTIRE article before posting it. Near the end, it says....

That Nas is still locked into the Old Economy is understandable.

He is an artist who first signed a multi-album contract with a major record label back in the 1990s. That’s the industry he was born into. Yet even with that he has still gone on to become a legend and made millions of dollars. He’s a success regardless.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 4:53 pm

SMH

He means his career has BEEN a success, if you read, that whole paragraph is in past tense, and it's inferred he's not talking about currently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 4:56 pm

Yeah, the article clearly states Nas is not successful anymore at this point in time. It is an intelligent and well written article that doesn't diss Nas one bit.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 5:41 pm

Good article...kinda wish the writer didn't stroke his own ego as much though...."hey! I wrote this dope article (link)" "hey check my great article out (link)" Come on man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 6:13 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Yeah, the article clearly states Nas is not successful anymore at this point in time. It is an intelligent and well written article that doesn't diss Nas one bit.

It was a well written article, but I don't completely agree with it. Up until Distant Relatives, all of his albums have gone gold or better. While he's not as popular as he once was, he's still very much respected and relevant among Hip-Hop Nation. Most artists (especially those who started in the 90's and before) struggle sales-wise nowadays, it's not his fault. Times have just changed in which marketability and image overshadows talent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 6:17 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

It was a well written article, but I don't completely agree with it. Up until Distant Relatives, all of his albums have gone gold or better. While he's not as popular as he once was, he's still very much respected and relevant among Hip-Hop Nation. Most artists (especially those who started in the 90's and before) struggle sales-wise nowadays, it's not his fault. Times have just changed in which marketability and image overshadows talent.

You just parroted the article while claiming you disagree with it. pathetic. Just agree with the damn article and realize being critical of nas does not mean he is dissing him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 6:24 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

You just parroted the article while claiming you disagree with it. pathetic. Just agree with the damn article and realize being critical of nas does not mean he is dissing him.

Never said he dissed him. I just don't see why Nas was targeted when most artists that started at the same time he did (and even many of them after) who were once big sellers aren't moving many units anymore as well. That's all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 6:30 pm

He was targeted because he wrote the letter bitching and moaning about Def Jam not releasing his Lost Tapes 2 and seemed pretty clueless about the industry in the letter. That is why he wrote it. Because the main point is that Nas is showing he does not understand the current business model when he is busy asking his major label to please release one of his CDs rather than exploring other, more profitable, avenues of revenue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 6:34 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
He was targeted because he wrote the letter bitching and moaning about Def Jam not releasing his Lost Tapes 2 and seemed pretty clueless about the industry in the letter. That is why he wrote it. Because the main point is that Nas is showing he does not understand the current business model when he is busy asking his major label to please release one of his CDs rather than exploring other, more profitable, avenues of revenue.

I don't blame him for writing that letter. Nas is a fuckin LEGEND and deserves better treatment than that. If they won't release it, then they should let him go so he can release the album elsewhere. There are TONS of labels that would sign him in a fuckin heartbeat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 6:39 pm

You miss the point yet again. lol...but I give up...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 8:29 pm

SMH, whatever
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 8:34 pm

i could give a fuck if NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! goes Copper, just stop releasing the below average stuff he's been on lately...Still one of the dopest to touch a mic but may have the worst ear for beats in the history of the game. He needs Large Professor and MC Serch to hold his hand again
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 8:45 pm

Interesting article.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 9:04 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
i could give a fuck if NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! goes Copper, just stop releasing the below average stuff he's been on lately...Still one of the dopest to touch a mic but may have the worst ear for beats in the history of the game. He needs Large Professor and MC Serch to hold his hand again

Truest shit you ever typed.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 9:36 pm

Jeff wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
i could give a fuck if NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! goes Copper, just stop releasing the below average stuff he's been on lately...Still one of the dopest to touch a mic but may have the worst ear for beats in the history of the game. He needs Large Professor and MC Serch to hold his hand again

someone edited my post by the way. I wrote everything except NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!! lol...
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 9:37 pm

LOL, hold up everytime you type "NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!" that happens LMAO!!!

NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 9:40 pm

NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 10:07 pm

test....

NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 10:09 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
i could give a fuck if NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! goes Copper, just stop releasing the below average stuff he's been on lately...Still one of the dopest to touch a mic but may have the worst ear for beats in the history of the game. He needs Large Professor and MC Serch to hold his hand again

someone edited my post by the way. I wrote everything except NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!! lol...

Who added THE GOAT!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 10:09 pm

Half wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
i could give a fuck if NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! goes Copper, just stop releasing the below average stuff he's been on lately...Still one of the dopest to touch a mic but may have the worst ear for beats in the history of the game. He needs Large Professor and MC Serch to hold his hand again

someone edited my post by the way. I wrote everything except NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!! lol...

Who added THE GOAT!!!!!!

Ok, everytime you quote it...THE GOAT!!!!!!! gets tacked on to the end. Programmer fail.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 10:37 pm

Shouldn't it say Scarface The GOAT?

Anyway, I have not read the article. But collecting from the little you guys shared it seems like suspect article to me. No one is selling records except the major major players. NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! has never been the a consistant successful record saler anyway since his 1st album. So what's the point to bring up some shit that is already a fucking given?

Also I semi agree with Slang about NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!. He is inconsistant in the beat department. But I also find that very very suspect coming from someone who seems to luv rugged muffled east coast basement underground beats. Ex. Jedi Mind Tricks, Killarmy, Can Ox, Wu Tang, etc etc etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 10:43 pm

The point is very simple Kev - the reason NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! is the center of this article is because NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! released a letter last week begging def jam to release his CD, Lost Tapes 2 - and he was angry about it. The point is that is very stupid since as you said, only the major players are selling records nowadays, so the article is highlighting the fact NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! is focused on the wrong thing. He shouldn't be begging for a record to be released, but trying to hustle other ways to get money.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 10:47 pm

I skimmed the article and the guy does have valid points. NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! and others like him do need to see the light and find ways to be more hands own in their projects and not so dependant. NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! at his age and stature really does not need a major label. But I also think he feels not being on a major label makes him seem washed or on the way out.

But on the flipside of that NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! has to support his lifestyle and life period. And major labels have that bigger upfront money. So who knows how he's looking at it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 10:48 pm

Gotcha SRP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 11:05 pm

Nah kev, that Redman/ Method Man interview the other day was saying even major labels weren't giving out six figure advances anymore. If NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! really got his money up front I don't think he'd be as concerned with releasing a CD. Plus, I don't see him selling enough copies of Lost Tapes 2 to really bank any dough. Honestly, a dude with NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!' catalog needs to be on the road every day of the week, selling merch, mixtapes, etc, and he would live comfortably for the rest of his life.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 11:19 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:

Anyway, I have not read the article. But collecting from the little you guys shared it seems like suspect article to me. No one is selling records except the major major players. NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! has never been the a consistant successful record saler anyway since his 1st album. So what's the point to bring up some shit that is already a fucking given?

Also I semi agree with Slang about NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!. He is inconsistant in the beat department. But I also find that very very suspect coming from someone who seems to luv rugged muffled east coast basement underground beats. Ex. Jedi Mind Tricks, Killarmy, Can Ox, Wu Tang, etc etc etc.

NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! rapping on the VBD beats would be classic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm

You would choose one of the most overrated albums every made...
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeTue 02 Nov 2010, 12:59 am

KRob TheRapGod wrote:

Anyway, I have not read the article. But collecting from the little you guys shared it seems like suspect article to me. No one is selling records except the major major players. NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! has never been the a consistant successful record saler anyway since his 1st album. So what's the point to bring up some shit that is already a fucking given?

Also I semi agree with Slang about NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!. He is inconsistant in the beat department. But I also find that very very suspect coming from someone who seems to luv rugged muffled east coast basement underground beats. Ex. Jedi Mind Tricks, Killarmy, Can Ox, Wu Tang, etc etc etc.

His second album went double platinum, and so did the rest up until Street's Disciple.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeTue 02 Nov 2010, 10:45 am

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
I skimmed the article and the guy does have valid points. NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! and others like him do need to see the light and find ways to be more hands own in their projects and not so dependant. NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! at his age and stature really does not need a major label. But I also think he feels not being on a major label makes him seem washed or on the way out.

But on the flipside of that NAS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!! has to support his lifestyle and life period. And major labels have that bigger upfront money. So who knows how he's looking at it.

What's hilarious to me is that Strange offered him a deal and he turned it down because there was little to no advance money and a ridiculously hectic touring schedule. But guess what? Then Nas could afford child support and still be relevant.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeTue 02 Nov 2010, 8:53 pm

Jeff wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:

What's hilarious to me is that Strange offered him a deal and he turned it down because there was little to no advance money and a ridiculously hectic touring schedule. But guess what? Then Nas could afford child support and still be relevant.

so they actually did make an offer?
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeTue 02 Nov 2010, 9:03 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Jeff wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:

so they actually did make an offer?

Him and Mystikal were offered right around the same time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 8:33 am

Mystikal is still contractually obligated to Jive though, I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)   Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Nas Isn't Successful Anymore (courtesy of AllHipHop)
Page 1 of 1