Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My rant on "soul music"

Go down 
+4
Dang! Trotter
Tic706
KJ Styles
Justin Linker
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

My rant on "soul music" Empty
PostSubject: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 4:04 am

"Soul music" is not a specific genre. You can't put soul music in its own category genrewise. Soul is a feeling. Soul doesn't necessarily mean a group that used to be signed to Motown. Soul is a warm feeling you get when you hear a certain song, I believe not everyone experiences it.

To me, Willie Hutch is soul music. Pink Floyd is soul. Funkadelic is soul. Johnny Cash is soul. 2Pac is soul. Those folks come from different genres, but I consider them all "soul music". I consider them soul music because when I hear alot of their records, I can feel the music rather than just hear it. I can even, to some extend "see it", if that makes sense.

But that's not with everyone for me. Just about anything on the radio, I can't listen to. Wiz Khalifa, Drake, Lil Wayne, Trey Songz, etc. Their sound lacks what I look for in music. But that's not to say they're not soul music to you. You might can feel Drake, Trey Songz and the rest of them and Funkadelic, 2Pac, Johnny Cash, etc. not do anything for you. And that's fine. It shows diversity. Some folks just can't feel soul, though. And it's a shame.

Bottom line; soul is a feeling. Not a genre. My rant for tonight.

Last edited by Justin Linker on Mon 07 Mar 2011, 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 4:11 am

Hell, Anal Cunt can be soul music, if you feel it. lol
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 1:50 pm

Did you hear Cee-Lo's album "The Lady Killer"? That shit is hella soulful! If you haven't then you should cop it. Knowing your soul tastes I think you'd like it.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 2:02 pm

Good points Link. Thats whats missing in a lot of the mainstream rap is soul. Most of the music just sounds kinda hollow.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 7:29 pm

Who stole the soul?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 7:31 pm

White people.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 7:39 pm

Justin Linker wrote:
"Soul music" is not a specific genre. You can't put soul music in its own category genrewise. Soul is a feeling. Soul doesn't necessarily mean a group that used to be signed to Motown. Soul is a warm feeling you get when you hear a certain song, I believe not everyone experiences it.

To me, Willie Hutch is soul music. Pink Floyd is soul. Funkadelic is soul. Johnny Cash is soul. 2Pac is soul. Those folks come from different genres, but I consider them all "soul music". I consider them soul music because when I hear alot of their records, I can feel the music rather than just hear it. I can even, to some extend "see it", if that makes sense.

But that's not with everyone for me. Just about anything on the radio, I can't listen to. Wiz Khalifa, Drake, Lil Wayne, Trey Songz, etc. Their sound lacks what I look for in music. But that's not to say they're not soul music to you. You might can feel Drake, Trey Songz and the rest of them and Funkadelic, 2Pac, Johnny Cash, etc. not do anything for you. And that's fine. It shows diversity. Some folks just can't feel soul, though. And it's a shame.

Pink Floyd is NOT soul, Link...lol. Pink Floyd is progressive rock. David Gilmour and Roger Waters puts soul into their lyrics/music, but that doesn't really equate to the general feeling of "soul music" IMO.

To me, Soul = R&B....to most extents. Add a prefix to "soul" and it becomes a sub-genre of R&B/Soul (ex. Neo Soul, Chicago Soul). That's the way I've always thought about it....
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 1:47 am

Alan wrote:
Justin Linker wrote:

Pink Floyd is NOT soul, Link...lol. Pink Floyd is progressive rock. David Gilmour and Roger Waters puts soul into their lyrics/music, but that doesn't really equate to the general feeling of "soul music" IMO.

To me, Soul = R&B....to most extents. Add a prefix to "soul" and it becomes a sub-genre of R&B/Soul (ex. Neo Soul, Chicago Soul). That's the way I've always thought about it....

That wasn't my point. What I was saying, when I hear something from Dark Side Of The Moon, I get the warm feeling that I listen to music to feel. To me, that is soul. It can be R&B, Rock, Classical. Anything that I "feel", if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 10:33 am

Check out "No Way Out Of Here" by David Gilmour on YouTube, Justin.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeThu 07 Apr 2011, 9:53 pm

Time by Pink Floyd is a great track.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeThu 07 Apr 2011, 10:21 pm

It indeed is. I listened to that the other night.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeFri 08 Apr 2011, 9:15 am

I'll just bring the song to you, I'm not on my phone now. Any PF fan should hear it.

Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeFri 08 Apr 2011, 9:16 am

A handful of mushrooms and that song will teleport you to heaven and back. I've done it several times.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitimeSat 09 Apr 2011, 1:09 am

parker lewis wrote:
I'll just bring the song to you, I'm not on my phone now. Any PF fan should hear it.

You call that soul? You call that good music? Danzig's "Mother" is better than that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My rant on "soul music"   My rant on "soul music" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My rant on "soul music"
Page 1 of 1