Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch

Go down 
+9
Half
Highsmith
parker lewis
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
SyRuP Sippa
Alan
Laced With Slang
KJ Styles
Tic706
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Empty
PostSubject: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 12:34 pm

Anybody heard this yet? What you think?

W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Pharoahe_Monch-W.A.R._We_Are_Renegades
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 12:43 pm

I listened to it today and I must say.........

Monch does not do great holding down a solo effort. While its far from a bad album something about it feels forgettable like all his solo albums. Out of 13 trks I can say as of now only 3 really really stood out as attention grabbers. They were Shine, Still Standing, and a dope ass concept song feat. Jean Grae and Royce called Assassins. I think true blue Pharoahe fans will of course dig it more than I did but if you are not a hardcore fan of his I rec a download first.

I'll give it a 3.75-4.0 as of now. Like I said its a solid album just may end up in the forgot I had this zone.

Last edited by TicNitty706 on Mon 21 Mar 2011, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 1:34 pm

I haven't heard this yet but honestly Kev given the fact that your history with Monch is limited I'm going to listen for myself before passing judgement.

You said Monch doesn't do a good job holding down a solo effort? That's bullshit man. Internal Affairs was a near classic, and some would call it classic. Desire is a 4-4.25 star effort. I have this coming in the mail tommorrow so I'm looking forward to hearing it.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 3:10 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I haven't heard this yet but honestly Kev given the fact that your history with Monch is limited I'm going to listen for myself before passing judgement.

You said Monch doesn't do a good job holding down a solo effort? That's bullshit man. Internal Affairs was a near classic, and some would call it classic. Desire is a 4-4.25 star effort. I have this coming in the mail tommorrow so I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Well that is why I stated that more truer fans of Monch may dig it more than me. I gave it a 3.75-4.0 so that tells you I like it. I'm just skeptical on how long I real want to play it. And his solo efforts have been okay they just do not stick to my memory. Like honestly how often do you bump his two solo albums?
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 3:26 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Well that is why I stated that more truer fans of Monch may dig it more than me. I gave it a 3.75-4.0 so that tells you I like it. I'm just skeptical on how long I real want to play it. And his solo efforts have been okay they just do not stick to my memory. Like honestly how often do you bump his two solo albums?

I bump them every now and then, I bumped Internal Affairs the other day actually and it still holds as a 4.5 star album IMO. I bump the first two Organized Konfusion albums more but Pharoahe's solo albums are definitely worth owning.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 7:07 pm

Internal Affairs is definitely classic hip hop
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 7:16 pm

Internal Affairs never struck me to be a classic. Probably cause I never thought it lived up to early OK. It's dope, but classic? IMO, Monch hasn't made an album over 4 stars alone IMO. Desire was more like 3.75 stars.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 2:19 pm

Alan wrote:
Internal Affairs never struck me to be a classic. Probably cause I never thought it lived up to early OK. It's dope, but classic? IMO, Monch hasn't made an album over 4 stars alone IMO. Desire was more like 3.75 stars.

The OK albums had better overall production but lyrically Monch is still top notch on his solos.

As for this particular album, I am a little disappointed in it. It's not wack by any means but the production is pretty mundane. I'd say Kev's 3.75-4 star rating is pretty accurate but that's only off of one spin. I'll spin it a few more times to see if I dig it more.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 2:39 pm

How could kev possibly rate this correctly with his bias? I think you need to bump this up to at least a 4.5 KJ.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 2:43 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
How could kev possibly rate this correctly with his bias? I think you need to bump this up to at least a 4.5 KJ.

Like I said, I'll bump it again but it doesn't thrill me like Internal Affairs and Desire did off the first spin. It does have some bangers, but it's got some skip tracks as well.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 2:45 pm

Good, I won't buy it then. I stopped spinning Desire after a few months...
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 2:48 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Good, I won't buy it then. I stopped spinning Desire after a few months...

I'd say WAR is worth at least a download. I'm a big Monch fan so I rate Desire higher than most peeps do.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 4:48 pm

6 tracks in and album is sounding real dope, KJ and Kev need to clean out their ear wax.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 4:57 pm

I said the album was good just not at its full true potential. He makes average songs with good-great lyrics if that makes sense. And like I said not many songs really stand out. Except the ones I mentioned. We'll see after more spins later.

Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 5:28 pm

This album is real nice. The first thing I've heard that might be better than Mistah FAB this year. I really wasn't expecting so much. Top notch production, tough beats...just a bit catchy here & there. Monch kills the mic all through this. The only skip is Grand Illusion, which may or may not grow on me.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 7:41 pm

I listened to this again, and I like it a little more but it's still not better than Internal Affairs. It's got it's share of bangers but also has it's share of skip tracks. I agree with Parker in that Grand Illusion is straight trash.

Hitman, Calculated Amagulation, Shine, Black Hand Side, and Assassins are bangers. I'll give this about 4-4.25 stars.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 3:06 pm

After 1 spin, I will definitely say this is a dope release. I don't really have a rating yet, because with all Pharoahe releases, I have to listen to them multiple times, especially with "Desire", to come up with a fair rating. I don't have any skip tracks yet. I even dig Grand Illusion as well.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm

Bumped this again today, and I must say this is one of 2011's best releases thus far. It's grown on me a bit. I have it at 4.25 stars. It's better than Desire but not as good as Internal Affairs. The beats could have been better but the production is top notch. With only 3 more months left in the year, I doubt that this will leave my Top 10.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 3:11 pm

I give this about 3.5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 3:12 pm

I think Desire is better
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm

Half wrote:
I think Desire is better

Nah, Desire had more skip tracks for me.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 4:33 pm

Glad you bumped this thread KJ. It has grown on me way more since my original snapshot review also. Its way better than Desire especially replay value wise for me. Its in my top 20 for 2011. 4.0-4.25.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 5:09 pm

This album is much better than Desire, IMO. I've played it a solid 15-20 times in the couple of months that I've had it. 4.25 sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeWed 07 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
Glad you bumped this thread KJ. It has grown on me way more since my original snapshot review also. Its way better than Desire especially replay value wise for me. Its in my top 20 for 2011. 4.0-4.25.

Glad to hear that, Kev.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeWed 07 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

this album is way better than "Desire" and not way behind "Internal Affairs" IMO because "Internal Affairs" was a 4.75 album....this one is 4.25 stars for me and "Desire" is about 3.5 stars IMO.....

Monch has made a top 10 album for 2011 for sure right here.....
Back to top Go down
Xcel
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Xcel

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeWed 07 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

I wasn't that impressed with the album at first either but I enjoy it a lot more now. 4.25 stars for me...
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeWed 07 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

Lol damn I guess I need to give it a few more spins
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2011, 6:26 pm

This is another album that I'm unfortunately late in checking out, but I'll be doing so soon.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 12 Dec 2011, 4:45 pm

Lyrics- A-
Subject Matter- B
Production- B-
Entertainment- C+
Originality- B
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 12 Dec 2011, 6:33 pm

Tic706 wrote:
Lyrics- A-
Subject Matter- B
Production- B-
Entertainment- C+
Originality- B

you should give an overall grade to...what would that be for this album if you had to give one?
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeMon 12 Dec 2011, 7:24 pm

Laced With Slang wrote:
Tic706 wrote:
Lyrics- A-
Subject Matter- B
Production- B-
Entertainment- C+
Originality- B

you should give an overall grade to...what would that be for this album if you had to give one?

I thought about that. I need to figure out a way to average that. The way I do it now leaves it up to the readers pov. I guess just a rough average i'll say its a B.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 13 Dec 2011, 3:27 am

Tic706 wrote:
Laced With Slang wrote:
Tic706 wrote:
Lyrics- A-
Subject Matter- B
Production- B-
Entertainment- C+
Originality- B

I thought about that. I need to figure out a way to average that. The way I do it now leaves it up to the readers pov. I guess just a rough average i'll say its a B.

Yeah I think what you do is fine, leaving it up to the reader's pov is a good idea. Some people like Lyrics and Production more, some like Entertainment more, etc.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeTue 13 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

Half wrote:
Tic706 wrote:
Laced With Slang wrote:
Tic706 wrote:
Lyrics- A-
Subject Matter- B
Production- B-
Entertainment- C+
Originality- B

Yeah I think what you do is fine, leaving it up to the reader's pov is a good idea. Some people like Lyrics and Production more, some like Entertainment more, etc.

True dat. That new system of mine is still very much a work in progress. I'll probably change them multiple times until I am 100% confident in the rating/grade.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitimeThu 22 Dec 2011, 7:27 pm

Just bumped this today. 4.5 stars for this one. Excellent album from Mr. Monch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch   W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

W.A.R.- Pharoahe Monch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: