Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18

Go down 
+6
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
KJ Styles
D.Powell
Highsmith
Tic706
T. Myers
10 posters
AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Empty
PostSubject: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011, 11:17 am

TLC
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011, 11:34 am

Waterfalls
Red Light Special
Creep
What About Your Friends
Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
*Hat 2 Da Back
*Scrubs
*Unpretty

One of the true pioneering and legendary grps of this genre. They are the blueprint for pop/r&b girl grps. Just like New Edition were for boy grps.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011, 12:42 pm

Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
What About Your Friends
Creep
Silly Ho
Waterfalls
*No Scrubs
*Baby Baby Baby
*If I Was Your Girlfriend (Nice remake)
*Red Light Special
*Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes
*Hat 2 Da Back
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011, 12:48 pm

Red Light Special
Waterfalls
Creep
What About Your Friends
Baby, Baby, Baby
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011, 1:29 pm

Creep
Switch
Waterfalls
Hat 2 Da Back
No Scrubs

*Kick Your Game
*Diggin' On You
*In Your Arms Tonight
*What About Your Friends
*Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
*Baby,Baby,Baby
*Red Light Special
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011, 5:41 pm

Waterfalls
Creep
Red Light Special
What About Your Friends
Diggin On You
*Baby Baby Baby
*Hat 2 Da Back
*Unpretty
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011, 5:42 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
Waterfalls
Red Light Special
Creep
What About Your Friends
Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
*Hat 2 Da Back
*Scrubs
*Unpretty

One of the true pioneering and legendary grps of this genre. They are the blueprint for pop/r&b girl grps. Just like New Edition were for boy grps.

I'd take SWV over them in that regard personally, but I respect that opinion.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 1:01 am

Waterfalls (easy favorite)
Creep
Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
Diggin' On You
Red Light Special
Back to top Go down
PKT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 6:36 am

18th day now and no Sam Cooke or Otis Redding yet. Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 7:58 am

PKT wrote:
18th day now and no Sam Cooke or Otis Redding yet. Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 8:03 am

Be patient! I only do one really big type of legend a week, and IMO both of them qualify as a legend. They will get their shine.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 6:50 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Be patient! I only do one really big type of legend a week, and IMO both of them qualify as a legend. They will get their shine.

Well you did Mariah and Marvin this week, and they're not only legends but GOAT's. Personally, I'm fine with you nominating multiple legends per week though. I really enjoy this topic.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 7:48 pm

Mariah's good, but it's way too early to group her with EWF, Marvin, Stevie, or Prince.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 7:55 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Mariah's good, but it's way too early to group her with EWF, Marvin, Stevie, or Prince.

Well, she's the biggest selling female artist in history. It could also be argued that she's the best pure female vocalist of all time. Mariah is a legend without question.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 8:57 pm

She is not the greatest female vocalist of all time. Stop that shit. Do you have any idea the weight of that statement?

Carey has technical skill that truly is rare, but she is sanitized and relatively soulless if you compare her to these ladies...

Aretha Franklin
Billie Holiday
Janis Joplin
Erykah Badu
Dinah Washington
Joni Mitchell
Whitney Houston
Christina Aguilera
Nina Simone
Macy Gray
Etta James
Sharon Jones
Tina Turner
Stevie Nicks
Jill Scott
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 9:02 pm

Parker, You're saying that Stevie Nicks, Macy Gray, Erykah Badu and Jill Scott have better VOCALS than Mariah Carey?? You're out of your fucking mind!! I think Mariah has better vocals than most on that list but those 4 aren't even in the ballpark!

When I speak of VOCALS I'm not talking about song quality (although Mariah is great in that catagory as well) I'm talking about VOICE. She has an 8 octave range, which is something only a handful of singers have ever had. That is why she's in the conversation for best pure female vocalist.

Last edited by KJ Styles on Thu 26 May 2011, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 9:09 pm

Creep
Waterfalls
Silly Ho
Red Light Special
What About Your Friends

*Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
*Diggin On You
*Unpretty
*Hat 2 Da Back
*Baby Baby Baby
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 9:13 pm

Parker I feel you on the souless comment, especially compared to most of the ones you mentioned. Mariah has a great voice no doubt but it does lack soul. But at the sametime soul is not her ballpark and she never tried to act as such.

Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 9:35 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
Parker I feel you on the souless comment, especially compared to most of the ones you mentioned. Mariah has a great voice no doubt but it does lack soul. But at the sametime soul is not her ballpark and she never tried to act as such.

Her voice doesn't lack soul at all IMO. While there are singers who are more soulful, being more soulful doesn't always mean having a better pure voice.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:20 pm

Mariah Carey is a great singer there is no doubt about that but IN MY OPINION she can not fuck with:

Stephanie Mills
Patti LaBelle
Chaka Khan
Aretha Franklin
Whitney Houston
Chante Moore
Deniece Williams
Minnie Riperton
Billie Holiday
Angela Winbush
Phyllis Hyman

and I would also add Christina Aguilera...I think she's a better overall singer than Mariah

I have Toni Braxton right below Mariah but Toni IN MY OPINION has a more unique sounding voice to me.....

Diana Ross is below Mariah as well IN MY OPINION!

but Mariah is killing Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Stevie Nicks (LMAO!), those names are kinda funny IMO....Mariah is no damn joke especially when she hits those glass breaking high notes...she is one of the GOATS who has ever done it though......
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:35 pm

Powell you are going to say Mariah is "killing" Jill Scott but put Chante Moore on your list of people she can't fuck with? Get that shit outta here. Jill Scott sings with as much range as most of the one's you listed on your not fuckwittable list. Ask them and I bet they would say the same. Step your Jill Scott game up.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:35 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Mariah Carey is a great singer there is no doubt about that but IN MY OPINION she can not fuck with:

Stephanie Mills
Patti LaBelle
Chaka Khan
Aretha Franklin
Whitney Houston
Chante Moore
Deniece Williams
Minnie Riperton
Billie Holiday
Angela Winbush

and I would also add Christina Aguilera...I think she's a better overall singer than Mariah

I have Toni Braxton right below Mariah but Toni IN MY OPINION has a more unique sounding voice to me.....

but Mariah is killing Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Stevie Nicks (LMAO!), those names are kinda funny IMO....Mariah is no damn joke especially when she hits those glass breaking high notes...she is one of the GOATS who has ever done it though......

Of the people you mentioned, the only ones that are on par vocally with Mariah are the ones bolded IMO. Minnie Riperton had the same octave so she's definitely in the ballpark. I don't think Chante Moore or Deniece Williams are even close. I think Mariah is a better overall singer and vocalist than Christina Aguilera too, who's been known to botch live performances.

As far as song quality goes, there are people I'd take over Mariah although she's on my GOAT list, but vocally, she's easily among the elite.

On a side note, I'd say that Luther Vandross is the best pure male vocalist ever, but there are people that I like better song wise. Luther is also on my GOAT list as well though.

Last edited by KJ Styles on Thu 26 May 2011, 10:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:36 pm

If I Was Your Girlfriend (yes I know it's a Prince cover)
Take Our Time
Baby-Baby-Baby (I'm surprised Ashanti didn't cover this one, right up her alley)
In Your Arms Tonight
Creep

*Red Light Special
*Hat 2 Da Back
*Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
*Over Me
*Silly Ho
*Lovestick
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:37 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
Powell you are going to say Mariah is "killing" Jill Scott but put Chante Moore on your list of people she can't fuck with? Get that shit outta here. Jill Scott sings with as much range as most of the one's you listed on your not fuckwittable list. Ask them and I bet they would say the same. Step your Jill Scott game up.

Honestly Kev, I think Chante's voice is better than Jill Scott's. I'd say Jill has better songs but Chante has a better voice. Neither of them is fucking with Mariah though.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:41 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Stephanie Mills
Patti LaBelle
Chaka Khan
Aretha Franklin
Whitney Houston
Chante Moore
Deniece Williams
Minnie Riperton
Billie Holiday
Angela Winbush

Of the people you mentioned, the only ones that are on par vocally with Mariah are the ones bolded IMO. Minnie Riperton had the same octave so she's definitely in the ballpark. I don't think Chante Moore or Deniece Williams are even close. I think Mariah is a better overall singer and vocalist than Christina Aguilera too, who's been known to botch live performances.

As far as song quality goes, there are people I'd take over Mariah although she's on my GOAT list, but vocally, she's easily among the elite.

On a side note, I'd say that Luther Vandross is the best pure male vocalist ever, but there are people that I like better song wise. Luther is also on my GOAT list as well though.

Ummm KJ....get the fuck outta here....Chaka Khan can't fuck with Mariah??? Patti LaBelle can't fuck with Mariah?? Deniece Williams can't fuck with Mariah?? are you totally aware of all of their works man?? like I said before Mariah is the truth but she ain't the best....at least not in my opinion....Chaka is beating her ass...so is Patti and so is Deniece and so is Phyllis...and Chante as well....they may not have sold as many records but when it comes to sangin' these chick more than rate against Mariah IN MY OPINION.....
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:41 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

Honestly Kev, I think Chante's voice is better than Jill Scott's. I'd say Jill has better songs but Chante has a better voice. Neither of them is fucking with Mariah though.

I'm not really up on Chante like that save for a few songs here and there but I think you guys gravely underestimate Jill. This women is known to shut live shows down with her voice. And she does it with ease.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:42 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:

Laughing My Ass Off

Kev stick to Quik mane..Killer Mike and Willie "Damn" D......thanks a bunch my dude! lol
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:49 pm

D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Stephanie Mills
Patti LaBelle
Chaka Khan
Aretha Franklin
Whitney Houston
Chante Moore
Deniece Williams
Minnie Riperton
Billie Holiday
Angela Winbush

Ummm KJ....get the fuck outta here....Chaka Khan can't fuck with Mariah??? Patti LaBelle can't fuck with Mariah?? Deniece Williams can't fuck with Mariah?? are you totally aware of all of their works man?? like I said before Mariah is the truth but she ain't the best....at least not in my opinion....Chaka is beating her ass...so is Patti and so is Deniece and so is Phyllis...and Chante as well....they may not have sold as many records but when it comes to sangin' these chick more than rate against Mariah IN MY OPINION.....

I went back and edited Patti LaBelle before you posted this, but AGAIN Powell, I'm talking about VOCALS ONLY!! Not song quality, not discog, simply VOCALS.

Mariah IMO has better pure vocals than Chaka Khan. I'd say it's a wash when it comes to song quality but I think Mariah has the better pure voice, and I love Chaka.

I've heard Deniece Williams and I'm familiar with her work but sorry, she's not fuckin with Mariah in my opinion.

Also, AGAIN I didn't say that Mariah is the best female vocalist but she's definitely in the conversation. That's all I'm saying. If someone said to me that they thought Mariah has the dopest voice of all time, I wouldn't have a problem with it because there aren't many with as good or better pure vocals.

Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:56 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Stephanie Mills
Patti LaBelle
Chaka Khan
Aretha Franklin
Whitney Houston
Chante Moore
Deniece Williams
Minnie Riperton
Billie Holiday
Angela Winbush

I went back and edited Patti LaBelle before you posted this, but AGAIN Powell, I'm talking about VOCALS ONLY!! Not song quality, not discog, simply VOCALS.

Mariah IMO has better pure vocals than Chaka Khan. I'd say it's a wash when it comes to song quality but I think Mariah has the better pure voice, and I love Chaka.

I've heard Deniece Williams and I'm familiar with her work but sorry, she's not fuckin with Mariah in my opinion.

Also, AGAIN I didn't say that Mariah is the best female vocalist but she's definitely in the conversation. That's all I'm saying. If someone said to me that they thought Mariah has the dopest voice of all time, I wouldn't have a problem with it because there aren't many with as good or better pure vocals.

go listen to Deniece Williams-Free again and then talk to me man....cause that shit is pure pleasure my dude....lol

also how much do you love Mary J. Blige?? for some reason I remember you having her in your top 10 acts...also how much do you love Whitney Houston?? you had her high on your lists as well

Mary mainly exists because of Chaka's stylings and Whitney paid tribute to her by remaking I'm Every Woman and not fuckin it up (Thank God).....Chaka would whup Mariah's ass vocally IMO...and if you keep on talking then I might even add Anita Baker to my list...cause her vocals are killer as well.....if she's below Mariah it ain't by much my dude.....trust me there...lol

Last edited by D.Powell on Thu 26 May 2011, 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 10:58 pm

hmmmm......I don't know KJ...lol
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 11:30 pm

Damn U KJ....now I'm listening to Mariah Carey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 18
Page 1 of 1