Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story

Go down 
+6
thelundquist
SyRuP Sippa
Highsmith
Shaun
KJ Styles
Half
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Empty
PostSubject: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeTue 20 Sep 2011, 5:38 pm

Leaked... officially out next week... your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 8:11 pm

Listened to this earlier and I think it's pretty dope. I'll spin it a few times before giving it a rating though. I don't think this will appeal to that many people on the forum though. Maybe Wayne, Powell, Kev, and Tran.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 8:38 pm

I will be checking this out, probably
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 9:38 pm

I've heard mixed reviews on this but I'm sure I'll get this some time before the week is out.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 10:02 pm

My thoughts were this was real uneven and uninspired. Like maybe a handful of good tracks, nothing reaching great. His mixtapes were tons better. Gonna give this one a 2.5 or so. He's got room to grow.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 10:19 pm

Don't agree with SRP's review at all, but what else is new.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 10:21 pm

You also probably think this is better than BP3.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 10:23 pm

ColdBoy456 wrote:
You also probably think this is better than BP3.

Yep, and LIGHT YEARS better than Watch The Throne.

My ballpark rating is about 3.75-4.0 or so as of right now. It's got some skip tracks but it's also got some bangers.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm

I probably got it on par with Watch the Throne personally, though I feel Otis is better than anything on Cole World and the production on Watch The Throne is better too.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2011, 11:28 pm

This J.Cole record is a 4.25 easily to me. The production is top-notch, his rhymes are precise as ever and he delves into some real subject matter. He talks about his life. Excellent debut album imo.

This is better than BP3 and WTT and TML imo.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

Well, I was pleasantly surprised by this album. The only track I couldn't listen to was Mr. Nice Watch with Jigga. I just hated the beat. Like Lundquist said, he was trying to be on his grown man shit (not that I completely buy it) on this album and the production was pretty good. It sucked that 3 old ass tracks made it to the album (albeit retouched) but at least they were good. Nothing on here was amazing to me but it was overall really solid and easy to listen to. It will probably get better after more spins but for now its a solid 3.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

ColdBoy456 wrote:
I probably got it on par with Watch the Throne personally, though I feel Otis is better than anything on Cole World and the production on Watch The Throne is better too.

Otis really doesn't do it for me other than the sample. I like half this album better than Otis, and Cole came correct lyrically too which is something Jay and Ye didn't do on WTT. Even Jay's appearance on THIS album was sub-par (Mr. Nice Watch). For now I'll give this a 3.75 but that could improve with more spins.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeSun 02 Oct 2011, 5:23 pm

I like this album. Definitely not a consistent release but there are some superb tracks on here like Breakdown which has to be one of the best hip hop tracks I've heard all year. J.Cole does a great job handling the beats on the album too (I'm not sure that he produced every track but he certainly held down the majority). Some weak spots, mostly when he pulls off a great Drake impression (not a compliment for me). Also, pretty much every track with features was so-so or weak. That Missy Elliot track was pretty bad IMO. But still I'm a fan of this album. I'll be giving J.Cole some more attention from now on. I'll say 3.75-4 stars... so on par with Watch The Throne for me.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeSun 02 Oct 2011, 7:47 pm

...Pretty much the way I feel about the album Half after one spin. Too me, it's right on par with "Watch The Throne" and I agree that "Otis" is better than any track on the J Cole. As a whole, the J Cole doesn't really have a stand out track. However, I still feel it is very close to a 4 after one spin.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeSun 02 Oct 2011, 11:59 pm

On track 6... dope so far
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeMon 03 Oct 2011, 12:01 am

Some dope punchlines so far. Not what I was expecting at all
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeMon 03 Oct 2011, 12:55 am

3.5 right now. The whole thing was on the same vibe and there was no variety in the lyrics. Not too bad of a release.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 8:16 pm

Just got finished bumping this today and I like it a lot. 4 stars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 8:31 pm

Lundquist, you've got to be fucking kidding me. This dude's lyrics are fucking terrible.

"boy you cant outsmart me....I make you fee like you the shit, but boy you cant out-fart me"

"I love when you give me heeeeaaaaad...I hate when you give me headaches"

"Laid a ***** down proper like she was recordin tracks"

"my hooks can knock Rocky out"

"I rap like its Christmas Eve" What the fuck does that even mean?

"Got a hundred fifty bitches in the club starin' at me/ How that feel? Very happy!" Yall listen to this shit tho..."How that feel? VERY HAPPY" That's a fucking HOOK by the way

Oh, and some shit that makes Ja Rule look like fuckin Tupac "I aint too proud to tell you that I cry sometimes...I cry sometimes about it...." If you were a man, you would be. OH and the shit where he raps like a pregnant woman? Congratulations on not even getting a female rapper dumb or wack enough to spit that awful mess. Congrats, that's a fuckin accomplishment.

"no strings attached, like a cordless phone" haven't heard that one before...in like 96

"Bitch, I made this in the crib, watchin' Belly/ eatin' peanut butter jelly, what the fuck can n****s tell me?"

"See my man Nate, asked me if I gained weight/ I said nah, my pockets got fatter, that's all"

"I got the type of shit that make a hater say sorry" Again, what the FUCK does that even mean?

Do I need to continue?
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 8:58 pm

You can continue if you want...
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 9:05 pm

I said 'precise', meaning nothing more (to me) than his rhymes were well put together. Are there weak examples? Absolutely, you covered a lot of 'em, but I still liked the album.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 9:06 pm

""I rap like its Christmas Eve" What the fuck does that even mean?"

Presents?

I support class warfare
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 9:50 pm

J Cole is a decent rapper. Nothing that special but not as bad as Jeff Holiday is trying to make him seem. Jeff i'm sure you don't want anybody quoting lyrics from some of your cherished rappers.

Last edited by Tic706 on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 9:57 pm

A Guest wrote:
Lundquist, you've got to be fucking kidding me. This dude's lyrics are fucking terrible.

"boy you cant outsmart me....I make you fee like you the shit, but boy you cant out-fart me"

"I love when you give me heeeeaaaaad...I hate when you give me headaches"

"Laid a ***** down proper like she was recordin tracks"

"my hooks can knock Rocky out"

"I rap like its Christmas Eve" What the fuck does that even mean?

"Got a hundred fifty bitches in the club starin' at me/ How that feel? Very happy!" Yall listen to this shit tho..."How that feel? VERY HAPPY" That's a fucking HOOK by the way

Oh, and some shit that makes Ja Rule look like fuckin Tupac "I aint too proud to tell you that I cry sometimes...I cry sometimes about it...." If you were a man, you would be. OH and the shit where he raps like a pregnant woman? Congratulations on not even getting a female rapper dumb or wack enough to spit that awful mess. Congrats, that's a fuckin accomplishment.

"no strings attached, like a cordless phone" haven't heard that one before...in like 96

"Bitch, I made this in the crib, watchin' Belly/ eatin' peanut butter jelly, what the fuck can n****s tell me?"

"See my man Nate, asked me if I gained weight/ I said nah, my pockets got fatter, that's all"

"I got the type of shit that make a hater say sorry" Again, what the FUCK does that even mean?

Do I need to continue?

i agree this guys voice sucks, flow is unoriginal and you've already pointed out the lyrics, lol
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 12:38 am

smh @ whoever edited my post
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 2:45 pm

Seriously, Kev? What lyrics are you trying to point out from some of my "favorite rappers" that come fucking close to "you can't outfart me"? Please, show them to me.

And precise generally pertains to having a point, and MY point was that J. Cole's rarely do.

And "presents"? Who the fuck waits til Christmas Eve to wrap presents? And if you were to wait that long, you would assume you'd be doing it quickly because you have very little time, whereas J. Cole does so slowly and without point. So the whole simile is really of no value. Yeah, I like Chino XL, Ras Kass, Vakill, K Rino, and Copywrite, but their punchlines generally make sense in context and seem thought out. J. Cole's shit is up there with the worst of Lil Wayne and Kanye West but nobody says anything about J. Cole because he's not signed to Cash Money and wasn't a producer first. It's bullshit. Dude's beats sound fresh out of Frooty Loops too (not there's anything wrong with that per se, but it's just the he gets touted as a really dope double threat and it's simply not the case).
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 4:16 pm

What i'm saying Jeff is every rapper has some questionable or corny lines in their rap sheet. Some have them mroe than others no doubt but J Cole imo is more on the doper side of things then the lame side of things. I can see you saying some of his methaphors and punchlines are over abused or seem forced at times. But skills is skills and he has them. He just still has a long way to go before he is really taken seriously. He's a above average lyricists just with a forgettable delivery and voice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 5:49 pm

Have you heard this cd, Kev?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story   J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J.Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: