Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lack of credibility

Go down 
+3
SyRuP Sippa
Tic706
Wayne
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

Lack of credibility Empty
PostSubject: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeSun 06 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

I wanted to title this thread "credibility killers". but the selected title sounds better I guess, lol. Whether it was in a song, interview, etc, name something that an artist and/or group said (and/or did) that made you question their credibility as an artist. I have an example, something that always stuck out to me:

Former No Limit artist Mac had a song on his Shell Shocked album called "Empire" (the album was solid up till the next 2 lines). He rapped in a direct quote:

"I could give a f*** bout hip hop, the culture, or the cause
The s*** is watered down like a scene from Jaws"

Read that sentence again, if you wish.

This made me instantly think, ok, if you can care less about hip hop and its culture, what the hell are you doing on this track? You can probably say "money" is an influence, but you should want to be in the music business for more than just the paper, in my opinion, and this is coming from someone who has a desire to enter the business in the future. I can go on with endless questions in this situation.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeSun 06 Nov 2011, 4:07 pm

I luv that Mac line and got what he was saying. You took it too literal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeSun 06 Nov 2011, 7:31 pm

Seriously Wayne? Nas says the same shit for an entire fucking album and it's cool, but Mac says it and you're all up in arms about it?
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeSun 06 Nov 2011, 9:32 pm

A Guest wrote:
Seriously Wayne? Nas says the same shit for an entire fucking album and it's cool, but Mac says it and you're all up in arms about it?

Here's the thing. Nas did make an album titled Hip Hop Is Dead, plus he made this same statement many times, especially leading up to the release of the album, however, at no point during said album did Nas mention he could care less about hip hop in general (although one could make the case that even saying "hip hop is dead" means you don't care about it). I also feel that Nas made this comment based on how he felt the state of hip hop was at that time, and a lot of us felt the same way.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeSun 06 Nov 2011, 9:43 pm

Well Mac was saying the same thing pretty much. Mac was saying why say true to hip hop when it is not being true to itself. Hence the statement "this shit is watered down like a scene from jaws." Also he was saying cats screaming that true to hip hop shit but they want to get paid off their craft also. And why should he accept being broke to "stay true" to the game.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeSun 06 Nov 2011, 10:16 pm

You're just quoting one line Wayne. The whole verse is about how Mac thinks it's bullshit that all these haters are running around calling out no limit for not being real hip-hop etc. when they are doing the same exact shit in their videos, etc. etc. etc. and trying to get paid just like No Limit. He's basically saying this ain't about no "keep it real" bullshit, it's just an excuse jealous people try to use to bring them down.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeMon 07 Nov 2011, 9:12 pm

lmfao really?

that line is dope actually

"Fuck rap, I'm tryin to make CREAM and that's that" did Prodigy lose credibility too?
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 1:19 am

Phonte says he does it to pay his mortgage.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 1:20 am

Wanduras wrote:
Phonte says he does it to pay his mortgage.

He bought a house? What a fag. Real hustlers squat.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 1:25 am

Wayne wrote:
A Guest wrote:

Here's the thing. Nas did make an album titled Hip Hop Is Dead, plus he made this same statement many times, especially leading up to the release of the album, however, at no point during said album did Nas mention he could care less about hip hop in general (although one could make the case that even saying "hip hop is dead" means you don't care about it). I also feel that Nas made this comment based on how he felt the state of hip hop was at that time, and a lot of us felt the same way.

My sentiments exactly
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 1:28 am

Let me translate:

KJ Styles wrote:
Wayne wrote:
A Guest wrote:

Here's the thing. My hard on for Nas makes me make silly excuses for anything he does. He can do no wrong!

My sentiments exactly
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 1:32 am

Just callin it like I see it Burrito Boy
Back to top Go down
昇龍拳_الله
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
昇龍拳_الله

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 5:26 pm

The track was dope and MAC called out people for acting like brand new bitches. When No Limit started making dollars people were screaming that keep it real shit. When they were keeping it real to what they knew.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lack of credibility   Lack of credibility Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lack of credibility
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: