Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why you hate the south - Reason #1

Go down 
+4
T. Myers
parker lewis
Half
Esco
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Empty
PostSubject: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 10:13 am

Because we actually have slept on classics dating back to the beginning...

When we say an album was slept on, it's because it was. We had tons of dope albums not on major labels that got slept on. On the other hand, until recently, most of the rap coming from the east coast was on a major label. As much as you'd like to claim so and so was slept on... truth is he was on a major label and people just didn't like him back then. Not really a slept on classic and not really a classic. Just you trying to make up for the fact that you hate the south and are jealous.

That is all...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 12:50 pm

thats not way we hate the south, there musics just not as good. so fuck you. all you are is a hater of anything not from the south, you get mad at people for only like east coast shit but your the same god damn way about the south so you have no fucking right to talk. your a hypocrite so stop bitching
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 1:29 pm

hmm I was sort of like that, the whole mainstream Ying Yang, Lil Jon, Jeezy, ect put a nice cover over the south that made me dislike them even to southern rapper I'd never listened to. But since I joined the forum people have given my good rec's and the south has some bomb ass music.

Last edited by Esco on Tue 21 Jul 2009, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 1:30 pm

I don't hate the south.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 1:46 pm

SRP all im saying is like when you see Mantronix you automatically think neither, when others see Gangster Pat the same thing goes though their mind. For no reason people are voting neither based on where someones from not from the music. It works both ways and almost everyone is guilty of it.

As for the south i dont mind some of the older stuff, im not the biggest fan of hardcore gangster rap in general. I like some of the southern old stuff because it does kind of remind me of 90s NY shit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 2:12 pm

When I see Mantronix I don't automatically think neither... I think "what has this man/group accomplished" - I look at the fact that he's dedicated himself to music outside of hip-hop for a long time, his early work was good for the time, but ultimately to me his contribution was influence and not truely classic or timeless music...

I think this is a valid reason... new york albums from 1994 that were released on a major label didn't blow up for a reason... they weren't that good... they weren't classic. They slipped through the cracks because people chose another average to slightly above average CD to bump.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 2:34 pm

LOL most of the albums i like from 94 where not on major labels, you need to get you shit together. Mantronix was just an example.

You ever think maybe your southern rap didnt blow up because no one gives a fuck about it

In 94 it would have been easy to overlook about, i know for a fact i have at least 25 albums from 1994 in my collection. If i was listening to hip hop then it would have been hard to get all of those.

Last edited by Cory on Tue 21 Jul 2009, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 2:36 pm

Yeah cause people were east coast bias and remain so... that's why it didn't blow up...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 2:37 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Yeah cause people were east coast bias and remain so... that's why it didn't blow up...

yeah and your southern rap biased so theres no point bitching about it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 2:41 pm

I'm not southern bias... prove it? There's the east coast bias again... assuming one has to be southern bias because they listen to some southern music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 2:53 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I'm not southern bias... prove it? There's the east coast bias again... assuming one has to be southern bias because they listen to some southern music.

no because you always down east coast shit and lesser known east coasts artist. you bitch and complain about how everyone it biased. you cant keep me you dont favor southern music over other coasts.

im not east coast biased because i play shit from any coast and take any recommendation made to me. truth be told i find lots of east coast shit boring
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 3:00 pm

You gotta admit, most of the Southern hip hop being thrown at us is garbage. Not by you, but by the media in general. The average person is going to stop there.

Just like anyone looking in on a subject they're not familiar with, it's difficult to seperate the specifics. I've found out about Big Moe and K Rino from Kevin, and I'm glad. But, without more exposure, I tend to hear the similarities between different Southern artists rather than the differences.

Just like trying to explain the difference between Southern and East coast to somebody who doesn't really listen to hip hop, they can't hear it. When I listen to most Southern hip hop, I hear the sounds that I don't appreciate. For the most part.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 3:08 pm

Most artist if not all from the east coast in the 80's and early 90's were pushed major even if they were independent or not. The samething happened with the west coast when NWA/Deathrow blew up. The media outlets gave them mad luv and if you were from one of those coast you got play period. The south did not have many artists in the 80's and early early 90's to chose from but it really strated bubbling mid 90's and on. And some of the best southern music was made in this period. But the media did not know how to market it and the west and east controlled all the major media outlets so the south was treated like step kids kinda like the west was in the 80's. By the south not being on top I think this forced them to create classic shit because they had to be that much betta than a average east coast/west coast grp just to get on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:18 pm

Personally, I don't hate the South. Like Rakim said, it ain't where you from, it's where you're at. If you're dope you're dope, if you're wack you're wack.

That being said, many of the guys from the south dominating today's airwaves (excluding a few) are well below average. For every Outkast, Luda, TI, and UGK, there's 10 Souljah Boys, Lil Wayne's, D4L's, Plies, Gucci Mane's, OJ The Juiceman's, etc.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 8:00 pm

I hate the south cause I'm east coast bias.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 8:16 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I hate the south cause I'm east coast bias.

At least you can admit it, Terry. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 10:43 pm

Some good responses to why people dislike or like the south... but the discussion is about southern slept on classics versus east coast slept on classics...

Can there really be an east coast slept on classic?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 10:55 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Some good responses to why people dislike or like the south... but the discussion is about southern slept on classics versus east coast slept on classics...

Can there really be an east coast slept on classic?

There's plenty of East Coast slept on classics, just to name a few....

Black Sheep- A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing
Gangstarr- Moment Of Truth
Diamond D- Stunts, Blunts, and Hip Hop
Pharoahe Monch- Internal Affairs
O.C.- Word Life
Special Ed- Youngest In Charge
Whodini- Escape
Fu-Schnickens- F.U. Don't Take It Personal
Nice & Smooth- Ain't A Damn Thing Changed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 10:58 pm

How were any of those slept on?

Moment of Truth went Gold... and the rest were on major labels with push... Pharoahe was all over the radio...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 11:07 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
How were any of those slept on?

Moment of Truth went Gold... and the rest were on major labels with push... Pharoahe was all over the radio...

Going Gold isn't that difficult, especially when you've got a hit single. Moment Of Truth is slept on in comparison to the rest of Gangstarr's catalog and I feel it's their 2nd best album at least.

Pharoahe was only on the radio with Simon Says, but the rest of the album was slept on for the most part.

Black Sheep and Whodini were the only albums I mentioned that really got "pushed". The rest were pretty under the radar especially O.C., Diamond D, and Pharoahe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 11:09 pm

Eh, I think all those albums got their fair shot for the most part and just weren't that crucial...the songs that were dope got play... they don't count to me as slept on. Each of those I think hit its stride to what is should have achieved... Monch might be the exception...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 11:22 pm

Ah KJ those are very bad examples of slept on because they all got luv in the magazines and on Rap City.
Back to top Go down
Dwight
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 12:20 am

These are some east coast classics I view as slept on,

Al Tariq - God Connections
The UMC's - Fruits Of Nature
Trends Of Culture - Trendz
Real Live - The Turnaround: A Long Awaited Drama
Screwball - Y2K: The Album
Boogie Monsters - Riders Of The Storm
Da Grassroots - Passage Through Time (They're from Toronto though, I think)
Juggaknots - Clear Blue Skies,

It is difficult to come up with a list of slept on, east coast classics, and I don't even know how many of these are considered that.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 12:54 am

SRP, what are the ten most slept on Southern classics that you are referring to?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 7:58 am

Dwight wrote:
These are some east coast classics I view as slept on,

Al Tariq - God Connections
The UMC's - Fruits Of Nature
Trends Of Culture - Trendz
Real Live - The Turnaround: A Long Awaited Drama
Screwball - Y2K: The Album
Boogie Monsters - Riders Of The Storm
Da Grassroots - Passage Through Time (They're from Toronto though, I think)
Juggaknots - Clear Blue Skies,

It is difficult to come up with a list of slept on, east coast classics, and I don't even know how many of these are considered that.

Only ones on that list that I can't remember getting rotation on Rap City or the radio is Boogie Monsters, Juggaknots, Al Tariq, and Grassroots. The rest were heard of and even had videos that got play. One thing we must also keep in mind is the south and west also had more explicit content than their eastern cousins so they did not have the most mainstream/public music. I think that is one factor why the south, midwest and the west have more slept on albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 3:30 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Eh, I think all those albums got their fair shot for the most part and just weren't that crucial...the songs that were dope got play... they don't count to me as slept on. Each of those I think hit its stride to what is should have achieved... Monch might be the exception...

I don't know about you, but my definition of a slept on album is one that may be critically acclaimed, but doesn't get the commercial love it deserves. I'd say all of those with the exception of perhaps Whodini fit that bill.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 3:31 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
SRP, what are the ten most slept on Southern classics that you are referring to?

Yeah, that's what I wanna know.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 3:34 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

no disrespect, but would it matter?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 3:38 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

no disrespect, but would it matter?

I just wanna know his point of view, because he's saying that the East Coast doesn't have slept on classics like the South does. I don't totally agree with that, but with his response I can get more in depth with my opinion.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 3:51 pm

It does matter. Because, every time somebody around here recommends a Southern album that strays from the basic formula, I like it. So if SRP can single out a few gems that aren't from the tired mold, I'd love to hear them.

If they are slept on, then there's only one way to fix that problem. Promote them.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 3:55 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
It does matter. Because, every time somebody around here recommends a Southern album that strays from the basic formula, I like it. So if SRP can single out a few gems that aren't from the tired mold, I'd love to hear them.

If they are slept on, then there's only one way to fix that problem. Promote them.

My apologies. I thought you were trying to call him out. It didn't make much sense to list the albums, and then fight about them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 4:08 pm

I know people take my opinions as some all out southern crusade and new york hate fest, but I'm just trying to get discussion going. To an extend KJ and Kid Joe are right to call me out...

certain albums from UGK, 8Ball and MJG, and others went gold or more, so they can not really be called slept on, but there are still things slept on:

Mr. Mike - Wicked Wayz
Crooked Lettaz - Grey Skies
Big Mike - Somethin' Serious
BG - Chopper City, It's All On U Vol. 1 and 2
Partners N Crime - PNC3
Playya 1000 - Mo Drama, Blame It On Society
Psychoward - www.psychoward.com
K-Rino - Danger Zone, Stories from the Black Book, K-Rino
Lil' Keke - Don't Mess With Texas
Fat Pat - Ghetto Dreams

and that's really just Texas/LA area... I'm still catching up on GA and FLA myself...
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 4:18 pm

I have Somethin' Serious. Had it ever since Havin Thangs aired on BET. All the others are new to me, and I'll definitely get to them.

I think you're equating a lack of exposure to some type of ignorant prejudice against these artists. Not that there isn't some of that, but I think most of the members here just wouldn't know where to start. I'm always down with finding something new.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 4:20 pm

Can you suggest any solid blog/forum sources for this sort of music? Might save me some searching.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 4:23 pm

http://k-nelarecords.blogspot.com
bottomofthemap.blogspot.com

you can find most of it here... need to find links for the PNC albums though.

Add to the the list:

South Circle
Point Blank - Prone To Bad Dreams
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 4:44 pm

Not that I mind it, but I just have a question out of curiosity. What's up with all that evil shit in Southern hip hop?

It seems way more prevalent than in any other area. Any theories on it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 5:09 pm

I own Somethin Serious and Chopper City, the latter sold pretty well. Wasn't BG on Cash Money at the time though??

The thing is, when you're not on a major label, the only promotions you're gonna get besides word of mouth, is through magazines and videos. That's not just the case with the south, it's everywhere pretty much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 5:17 pm

You might be thinking Chopper City in the Ghetto KJ.

BG was on Cash Money but those all dropped before Cash Money blew up.

And it's not quite the same. During the 90s I'd say indie New York labels rarely existed and when they did they got PLENTY of love - look at LOUD and RAWKUS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 5:19 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Not that I mind it, but I just have a question out of curiosity. What's up with all that evil shit in Southern hip hop?

It seems way more prevalent than in any other area. Any theories on it?

Who knows... Memphis, Chicago, Texas all had a lot of dark themes in it... might just be more desolate situations down here - or the bible belt and a big reaction to it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 6:24 pm

I don't consider Something Serious slept on. It got major label support and play. Anything pre the Universal deal with Cash Money is slept on. I don't feel Suave House releases were as slept on as you think. They got mad luv on the west midwest, and south. I agree with the SPC releases and some of the others.

Other slept on gems

Ghetto Mafia, Hard Boys, Raheem, Parental Advisory, Shy D (Atlanta)
Any Rap-A-Lot album not of Geto Boys and Scarface.
A lot of Tennessee artists (Pistol, Skinny Pimp, Pat, Etc.)
Poison Clan, Bust Down, DJ Magic Mike
Dirty and Duece Conrads (Alabama)

Artista like the above were getting little to no play on mainstream raido but had major luv in the south at one point or another.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 10:24 pm

Am I the only one that recognizes that the south is more than just gangsta rap? This title should be "Why You Hate Gangsta Rap - Reason #1"

Luke, Magic Mike, Shy D, Y'all So Stupid, DJ Laz, Ying Yang Twins (before they blew up), Devin, and so on... You can like southern rap and not be hypnotized by gangsta rhetoric. It's totally possible. That narrow scope is part of the problem.

Oh, and a lot of those albums aren't slept on. I was listenin' to half that stuff in high school. Point being, those albums made their way up here for a reason. People knew about them or the people making them knew there was a market for them. People in DC have been swearing by UGK ever since they came out. Suave House, No Limit (before they blew up), Hypnotized Minds (ditto), I mean...you name it. I've heard Skinny Pimp being played when I'd go to Philadelphia. It takes place no matter what the perception may be.

And record labels don't become major overnight. Def Jam started in a dorm room. Having undeniable talent forced the doors open. Revisit Wild Style, those cats weren't exactly ballin' due to album sales. And EPMD would disagree since Sleeping Bag wasn't exactly a powerhouse label. It wasn't the push, it was the hits. You wasn't love back then unless you were dope. I can't believe this is even coming from people that swear that the accused don't even support their own. It's backward...

There are slept on classics outside of the south. To even think that there aren't is sort of asinine. Not exactly what the focus on the east is about, though. You're pretty much complaining about your counterparts...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 11:31 pm

I don't think it's asinine. There is a big difference in between the level of promo/play/recognition the southern artists get compared to the east coast artists at the time... you're missing the point of the discussion.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 8:44 am

I think some people are definitely missing the point. Obviously someone has heard some of these random albums. However, that doesn't change the fact that these albums were and still are slept on. Most of the people on this forum are die hard fans, and we take rec's. We dig for music. We aren't the norm. There are still people sleeping on a ton of random south stuff cause it's unheard of, or it's guilty by association. We all know No Limit was huge, but it's never Mac or Mia X that gets talked about. We all know that Cash Money is huge, but everything released before the Universal deal plays 2nd fiddle. Check out UNLV, Pimp Daddy, and early BG albums. The east coast is centralized in NYC so it's harder to have slept on albums. The south is more spread out. The South has their own cities, and each city has their own sound. Therefore, it's easier for albums to go unnoticed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 1:00 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I think some people are definitely missing the point. Obviously someone has heard some of these random albums. However, that doesn't change the fact that these albums were and still are slept on. Most of the people on this forum are die hard fans, and we take rec's. We dig for music. We aren't the norm. There are still people sleeping on a ton of random south stuff cause it's unheard of, or it's guilty by association. We all know No Limit was huge, but it's never Mac or Mia X that gets talked about. We all know that Cash Money is huge, but everything released before the Universal deal plays 2nd fiddle. Check out UNLV, Pimp Daddy, and early BG albums. The east coast is centralized in NYC so it's harder to have slept on albums. The south is more spread out. The South has their own cities, and each city has their own sound. Therefore, it's easier for albums to go unnoticed.

Word...
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 7:31 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I don't think it's asinine. There is a big difference in between the level of promo/play/recognition the southern artists get compared to the east coast artists at the time... you're missing the point of the discussion.

I'm not missing the point at all. Some of the people named here were on TV when I was younger. Not only that, it is asinine because you're sticking solely to gangsta rap and trying to encompass the entire south at the same time. Magic Mike was on TV. Luke was on TV (by his own doing, no less). Shy D, Smurf (known as Mr. Collipark now), the list goes on... They may not be gangsta, but they were just as southern as anyone else...especially Magic Mike.

And, Terry, they aren't slept on. I know personally that DC has been playing this stuff steadily without help from the radio. I have UNLV and BG, albums. Depends on what side of the coin you looking at but that, by definition, means that they weren't slept on. And they still aren't.

Maybe you guys define slept on by what you saw or heard on TV and radio, but I define it by what the people are listening to. Even still, I remember SEEING half of this stuff on video jukebox (Mystikal was getting big spins on there BEFORE he joined No Limit). I remember hearing it on AM radio. Being a music junkie has zero to do with that.

I repeat, this thread is asinine. I've yet to see a name I'm not familiar with.

"The east coast is centralized in NYC so it's harder to have slept on albums. The south is more spread out. The South has their own cities, and each city has their own sound. Therefore, it's easier for albums to go unnoticed."

It sounds like the "east" is being held responsible for the southern layout if anything...

No one hates the south...most people just hate what they think is corny music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 8:06 pm

Nor you are a music junkie so no surprise you have heard of most of these. But you are a cd collecter and you may buy/download everything you can get your hands on. So of course you are familiar with them. I wonder do you really play these "known" slept on artist though? I remember when I first came to the forum and you did not know about that many southern acts so you must really learned a lot in those 3 yrs on the forum.

As far as the gangsta/hardcore rap thing goes you do know in that in the 90's that is mostly what the artist in the south rapped about. Name me as many as you can southern artist from the 90's that did not rap gangsta/hardcore....please.

PS: Dope avatar..that shit caught me off guard blinking..lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 9:11 pm

Nor, this is a discussion - not asinine... your comments are asinine for the most part. Am I really saying southern gangsta rap? when did I say that? Don't infer shit I didn't say. If you want to bitch and moan because you don't like the thread do so- but that's all this is , bitching and moaning... if it weren't for you filling your shit with so much bitching... I'd acknowledge that I wasn't in DC at the time so I wouldn't know what was being played there locally - that's the point of these discussions - to discuss both sides and get some enlightenment - get off your high horse...
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 11:21 pm

I dont hate the south I just think its inferior to the east coast as a whole. Inferior meaning not as good but not necessarily bad. The south found few outlets to success other than gangsta rap.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 3:42 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
that's the point of these discussions - to discuss both sides and get some enlightenment - get off your high horse...

lol...you just defined asinine with that response. Check the title of your thread. You making assumptions from the door is not enlightening in any way. You don't know who does or doesn't hate the south. If that was your attempt at being endearing, you failed miserably.

Also, the very creation of this thread is you bitching and moaning. Oh, and I don't need you to acknowledge shit, I was there. I know you weren't because of the silly ass comments you make. Before you jump the gun or start asinine threads, enlighten yourself and quit assuming everyone else hasn't taken the time to do so on their own.

Kev, I've said before that I was listening to this stuff in high school. I've been out of high school for more than 3 years. Mystikal didn't debut 3 years ago. Magic Mike didn't come out 3 years ago either. I'm not sure you took the whole post in, man. I've uploaded Skinny Pimp albums, Tru albums, Willie D albums and so on for a lot of people around here, yet that stuff goes unnoticed somehow. Your post is a bit of an insult. I know y'all are quick to dismiss folks, but come on.

And what in the world gives you the indication that I haven't listened to the albums I have? I'd love an answer for that, if it's cool with you. I've asked you that before and never got an answer. What are you drawing this conclusion from? I don't buy albums just so I can say I have them. That's what I would call a waste of money.

And gangsta rap is the vast majority in any region outside of Canada. It's the easiest to do. My point was that gangsta rap seems to be all that anyone around here can address, but it's done under the guise of "southern rap." There are a lot of Cunninlynguist or fans that don't dig gangsta rap. Are they hating the south too? If anything, I'm saying there's more to southern rap than what y'all are attempting to limit it to. Just call it what it is, because what he's bringing up isn't exclusive to the south at all. It's asinine to think for one second that it is...

Seriously, it's like he's pulling shit out of his ass just to create more division. There's no logic. Half of what he's saying doesn't even make sense. Then, when he's called on his silliness, he plays the enlightenment card? Laughable at best.

This drum has been beaten to death and the shit is way corny...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 8:42 am

Where am I creating division Norf? Where... responding people to discuss something civilly?

And don't tell me what I'm doing... I know damn well what I'm doing... stop walking around making assumptions with your own agenda.. like I said, you know where the exit is, if you don't like you don't post or read, that simple, the only one bitching and complaining here is you and that's all you've been doing..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #1   Why you hate the south - Reason #1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why you hate the south - Reason #1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next