Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why you hate the south - Reason #3

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Empty
PostSubject: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 9:36 am

Because we don't stop...

One of the perks of not sleeping on the south is that the independent hustle doesn't stop. Most of our favorites from 20 years ago are still dropping albums and many are even getting better with age. I commend the likes of a Grand Puba, Masta Ace, and KRS ONE for getting their independent hustle on and keeping their fans happy, but shame on people like Rakim and BDK for not dropping albums in damn near a decade and shame on Nas for even having to make a song called "Where Are They Now"
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 9:46 am

Rakim & BDK are just examples though. The Terrorists have only dropped 3 albums since 1991, and Dope-E doesn't have much other newer material besides that Murdoq LP, does he? Just one example, but there's probably more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 9:56 am

The Terrorists are the exception... but them even coming back is testament to the hustle.

Southern acts that never stopped:

UGK
8Ball & MJG
Fiend
Soulja Slim
BG
Scarface
Willie D
Geto Boys
Partners N Crime
Kottonmouth
K-Rino
Hitman Sammy Sam
Trick Daddy
JT Money
Three Six Mafia
Kingpin Skinny Pimp
Mr. Sche
T-Rock
Al Kapone
Point Blank
Big Mike
Pimpsta
David Banner
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 10:01 am

Now this is another reason I cosign....but I think one factor also is the east coast is spoiled to a certain degree because they never relly had to grind that hard to get a deal once east coast rap took off in the late 80's. The south had to jump through fire and hell to get deals so they had a independent hustle about themselves mostly due to a forced hand. Same with the west and mid-west.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 10:08 am

Good points. The south had to hustle harder if they wanted to eat.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 7:17 pm

These threads are asinine...

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
...and shame on Nas for even having to make a song called "Where Are They Now"

And why exactly would that fall under the "shame on Nas" umbrella? Where is he at fault here? Maybe you could clear that up?
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 7:28 pm

Nice avatar! I didn't think they could be that big (no homo).
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 7:30 pm

Norf, did I read correctly you gave that Common Market EP 4 stars? My standouts were the same as yours, but I was totally not feeling RA's sleepy style.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 8:50 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
shame on Nas for even having to make a song called "Where Are They Now"

Why do you say that? Nas did that song to pay HOMAGE to many legends whom we haven't heard from in a long time. In fact, he did a remix to that song FEATURING some of those same legends he mentioned.

EDIT: As for Rakim and Kane, they've earned enough accolades and respect from hip-hop nation, so they could decide to never record another album again and they'll still be mentioned among the all time greats.

Last edited by KJ Styles on Thu 23 Jul 2009, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 8:52 pm

Alan wrote:
Norf, did I read correctly you gave that Common Market EP 4 stars? My standouts were the same as yours, but I was totally not feeling RA's sleepy style.

🚲 Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 9:08 pm

Norf, if this is so asinine you don't have to participate... stop being an east coast biased ass hater with a holier than though attitude...

You're free to participate if you'd like... if this is so stupid or asinine you know what NOT to click next time you show up.

As for the Nas comment, I meant shame that nas had to make such a song because so many of the east coast pioneers have been MIA for so long...
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 11:23 pm

All coast get their grind on. In the east CL Smooth, Wise Intelligent, and Sadat recently released albums. I admit the fans down south support their artist more.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 4:07 am

Alan wrote:

Really? I thought it was a return to form for RA. I thought he got a little sleepy on the previous two. Maybe I'll revisit it. You don't have it at 4, AP?
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 4:12 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Norf, if this is so asinine you don't have to participate... stop being an east coast biased ass hater with a holier than though attitude...

lmao...saying it a lot won't make it true. I'm not holier than anyone, I just put a little effort into not saying really, really stupid things. If that makes me holier, then so be it. Don't worry about my attitude, worry about your own. I'll handle mine. And drop the east coast bias...I probably have more southern rap than you do.

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
You're free to participate if you'd like... if this is so stupid or asinine you know what NOT to click next time you show up.

You're right. I'll avoid this gay ass thread if you promise not to pull anything else this incredibly stupid out of your ass. Deal?

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
As for the Nas comment, I meant shame that nas had to make such a song because so many of the east coast pioneers have been MIA for so long...

And "Shame on Nas" conveys this how?

I'm sure people stop rapping for whatever reason they see fit, but wouldn't that absence be their own fault and not Nas' fault?

Either way, it doesn't matter because it makes no sense. Are you saying that the east coast pioneers are at fault because they aren't rapping anymore? Seriously, do you think about this stuff before pushing "Enter"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 7:34 am

i've agreed with some of the other ideas that this? people hate because they keep releasing albums? thats a stupid idea if i've ever heard one.

and norm, werent you the one getting on me for calling a convo gay and telling me to leave if i felt that way? cant have it both ways, brother
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 8:39 am

Norf is just a walking contradiction...

He makes dumb ass assumptions about others... then bitches and moans when one makes an LOGICAL INFERENCE about his bullshit and always pulls the "show me where I typed that verbatim or don't put words in my mouth"

He's being a real fucking fool in these threads too, because guess what - show me where I have disrespected anyone's opinion or taken this as some hostile shit on these threads? I haven't, I've been having discussions and responding and I've learned some new shit and I think I've been respectful to everyone except the idiots talking out of their ass - in this case Cory and Norf.

I've even been civil with Kid Joe and god knows I've been talking shit to him for a while, but since he was civil and took the high road I didn't see the point of continuing pettiness.

But of course Norf doesn't see any of that. He's too dumb and blind with his own agenda to see that damn, maybe me declaring "why you hate the south" is a tongue in cheek comment meant to play off of the whole "hating the south" ignorance and maybe a strong opinion to kick things off is just meant to get some lively discussion going.

You know norf walks around with his own agenda - regions are stupid, you guys need to quit complaining, etc.

Like I said norf, you know where NOT to click so if you want to keep filling these threads with your stupid bull shit just shut the fuck up.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 1:20 pm

lol, I'm not sure I'm taking any high road, SRP. You didn't insult me. It would be kinda hard to insult you back in this situation, without any original insult coming from yourself.

I'm sure you've noticed the pattern.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 4:20 pm

Steve wrote:
i've agreed with some of the other ideas that this? people hate because they keep releasing albums? thats a stupid idea if i've ever heard one.

and norm, werent you the one getting on me for calling a convo gay and telling me to leave if i felt that way? cant have it both ways, brother

lol...no, I told you not to complain if you weren't going to participate. I'm participating.

Don't need it both ways, brother.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 4:22 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Norf is just a walking contradiction...

He makes dumb ass assumptions about others... then bitches and moans when one makes an LOGICAL INFERENCE about his bullshit and always pulls the "show me where I typed that verbatim or don't put words in my mouth"

He's being a real fucking fool in these threads too, because guess what - show me where I have disrespected anyone's opinion or taken this as some hostile shit on these threads? I haven't, I've been having discussions and responding and I've learned some new shit and I think I've been respectful to everyone except the idiots talking out of their ass - in this case Cory and Norf.

I've even been civil with Kid Joe and god knows I've been talking shit to him for a while, but since he was civil and took the high road I didn't see the point of continuing pettiness.

But of course Norf doesn't see any of that. He's too dumb and blind with his own agenda to see that damn, maybe me declaring "why you hate the south" is a tongue in cheek comment meant to play off of the whole "hating the south" ignorance and maybe a strong opinion to kick things off is just meant to get some lively discussion going.

You know norf walks around with his own agenda - regions are stupid, you guys need to quit complaining, etc.

Like I said norf, you know where NOT to click so if you want to keep filling these threads with your stupid bull shit just shut the fuck up.

lmao...make sense. I'm not the only one saying you make no sense.

Focus on my balls if you want, but it won't help you form a coherent point.

Maybe you should be the one shutting the fuck up?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 3:18 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:

Really? I thought it was a return to form for RA. I thought he got a little sleepy on the previous two. Maybe I'll revisit it. You don't have it at 4, AP?

Well, you can read a more thorough opinion of that Common Market EP in the reviews section. I gave it 2.75 stars....3 stars at best for Sabzi's production. To me though, RA has been lacking since the Common Market debut. He had a more energetic style there IMO, and now he just sounds so flat to me with this sleepy style. "Tobacco Road" was a little sleepy to me too. Wasn't too much into that one. I thought the "Black Patch War" EP rounded up most of the best cuts off "Tobacco Road" plus boasted a better b-side. Not sure if I don't feel their new formula or what, but RA isn't doing it for me anymore, and I wasn't feeling Sabzi's innovation quite as much as you and Tran. They were tight beats, but they still sounded like b-side cuts IMO. lol
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 3:46 pm

Alan wrote:
Well, you can read a more thorough opinion of that Common Market EP in the reviews section. I gave it 2.75 stars....3 stars at best for Sabzi's production. To me though, RA has been lacking since the Common Market debut. He had a more energetic style there IMO, and now he just sounds so flat to me with this sleepy style. "Tobacco Road" was a little sleepy to me too. Wasn't too much into that one. I thought the "Black Patch War" EP rounded up most of the best cuts off "Tobacco Road" plus boasted a better b-side. Not sure if I don't feel their new formula or what, but RA isn't doing it for me anymore, and I wasn't feeling Sabzi's innovation quite as much as you and Tran. They were tight beats, but they still sounded like b-side cuts IMO. lol

Fair enough. I agree with you about RA Scion, actually. I don't know about innovative, pretty sure hat wasn't me saying that, but I do think this EP is better than Tobacco Road and Black Patch. The self titled debut is still their best work to me, though. I don't know if Sabzi had fell off, but he did level off at one point. The beats on Winter's End were some of the first in a while that demanded my attention, though.

I'll play it next...just to refresh my memory.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:01 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:

Fair enough. I agree with you about RA Scion, actually. I don't know about innovative, pretty sure hat wasn't me saying that, but I do think this EP is better than Tobacco Road and Black Patch. The self titled debut is still their best work to me, though. I don't know if Sabzi had fell off, but he did level off at one point. The beats on Winter's End were some of the first in a while that demanded my attention, though.

I'll play it next...just to refresh my memory.

You didn't say innovative. I think I just read Tran's take, then your review, and it seemed like you two dug Sabzi's change-up in formula more than me. And it is a tempo issue (for me) too. "Delorean" even was a little too slow with the stops and stutters IMO...it didn't reel me in. A lot of it felt like that IMO. The material was nice, but what I'm trying to say is - I like the bangers from this duo more than the soft stuff.

The only thing I can say differently is that I really enjoyed "Black Patch War" EP more. And the b-side "Watership Down" on that EP is one of my favorite Common Market songs ever.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:14 pm

Alan wrote:
The material was nice, but what I'm trying to say is - I like the bangers from this duo more than the soft stuff.

We agree here. I think that's why I dig Brasso as much as I do. Maybe the tempos aren't as spread out as on other albums. I see your point there too.

Alan wrote:
The only thing I can say differently is that I really enjoyed "Black Patch War" EP more. And the b-side "Watership Down" on that EP is one of my favorite Common Market songs ever.

Hmm...

I don't remember Black Patch leaving that much of an impression. In fact, it bounced right off of me, if I remember correctly. I'll revisit that one too. My memory of it is vague...

Edit: I just started Black Patch War and....wow. The title track has a seriously dope beat. Maybe I didn't give it a fair listen, but I'm still on track 1. We'll see how it turns out...
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:20 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:
The material was nice, but what I'm trying to say is - I like the bangers from this duo more than the soft stuff.

We agree here. I think that's why I dig Brasso as much as I do. Maybe the tempos aren't as spread out as on other albums. I see your point there too.

Alan wrote:

Hmm...

I don't remember Black Patch leaving that much of an impression. In fact, it bounced right off of me, if I remember correctly. I'll revisit that one too. My memory of it is vague...

Edit: I just started Black Patch War and....wow. The title track has a seriously dope beat. Maybe I didn't give it a fair listen, but I'm still on track 1. We'll see how it turns out...

Brasso was also my favorite. I liked the funkiness on that track. Tran said I was crazy for that...lol...I definitely like it best though.

I'd like to hear what you think of Black Patch. I still think that one's pretty nice after a refresher listen. And "Watership Down" has been played many, many times...one of the few cuts I repeat numerous times from this duo.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:36 pm

Alan wrote:
Brasso was also my favorite. I liked the funkiness on that track. Tran said I was crazy for that...lol...I definitely like it best though.

LOL...Tran called me crazy too.

Alan wrote:
I'd like to hear what you think of Black Patch. I still think that one's pretty nice after a refresher listen. And "Watership Down" has been played many, many times...one of the few cuts I repeat numerous times from this duo.

"Watership Down" is one of their best songs. Period. "Trinity" (from the debut) is still my favorite CM track, but "Watership Down" is right up there. Easily one of their top 5 tracks. The title track is crazy too. I'm lovin' that beat. The EP as a whole is dope. Better than The Winter's End. I see what you mean when you grade them against each other. I'd say this one is 4 or 4.25ish. Thanks for pointing it out...

I wonder what I was doing when I first spun this one? I must've been busy or something. lol
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 5:04 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:

LOL...Tran called me crazy too.

Alan wrote:

"Watership Down" is one of their best songs. Period. "Trinity" (from the debut) is still my favorite CM track, but "Watership Down" is right up there. Easily one of their top 5 tracks. The title track is crazy too. I'm lovin' that beat. The EP as a whole is dope. Better than The Winter's End. I see what you mean when you grade them against each other. I'd say this one is 4 or 4.25ish. Thanks for pointing it out...

I wonder what I was doing when I first spun this one? I must've been busy or something. lol

No problem...glad to hear you're digging those cuts on the EP. lol

But yeah, C. Tran made me second guess myself on "Brasso" at first (saying it was the worst track here). But I went back and bumped it and it's still my favorite....lol. Not the first time Tran flipped out about a top pick though...lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why you hate the south - Reason #3   Why you hate the south - Reason #3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why you hate the south - Reason #3
Page 1 of 1