Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop

Go down 
+3
Jason
Alan
D.Powell
7 posters
AuthorMessage
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Empty
PostSubject: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 9:54 am

IT SUCKS BIG PHAT HAIRY TESTICLES

Any idiot who can't hear this is stupid IMO

hip-hop is not dead, it's still alive but at this point it's just "exisiting" with no real purpose or meaning anymore just a bunch of mothafuckers doing it and most of them should be sitting on the sidelines watching the pros handle a man's job...

Quanity is not always QUALITY

Yeah the LEGENDS sit around and bitch and moan about the current state of hip-hop but they've EARNED that right to do that...they've released more than enough dopeness already...they are set and have nothing else to prove..it's these new motherfuckers that need to show and prove

If Michael Jordan wanted to complain about the current state of the NBA, I would feel that although he's no longer playing he would have every right to state his feelings and as many fuckin times as he feels like stating them too, he has nothing to prove to anyone, and has rightfully earned his right to complain if he feels like it..

it's up to Chris Paul or Carmello Anthony or these other younger cats to show and prove NOT Michael Jordan...he's already done that..

The same analogy applies to hip-hop music as well

the problem is that these younger idiots continue to disrespect the culture constantly and like Jason already admitted, these younger heads aren't listening to the older cats anyway so it's like who gives a fuck, so what that equates to is more bullshit hip-hop in the present and near future which is a damn shame....I was always told a hard head makes a soft ass, or in this case a hard head makes for some mediorce to horrible hip-hop music....more bullshit to follow...lol

I guess that's just where the music is at now and it's something that must be adapted to...don't expect to much out of hip-hop anymore, just deal with it the way it is.....

Thank God for the "old" school baby bubba...lol, may it live on forever!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 10:02 am

D.Powell wrote:
I guess that's just where the music is at now and it's something that must be adapted to...

Some people adapt better than others apparently...

I don't disagree though. I've witnessed the same thing happen to rock/alternative/grunge/punk in the early 90s through today. Which is why I don't really listen to much (new) rock music anymore.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 10:05 am

Well, I enjoy a good deal of new Hip-Hop and new rock, but that was already apparent (at least about Hip-Hop). Right, that's probably all I'll have to say on this, since we've discussed this plenty in the past.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 10:10 am

Sadly i think the whole music industry is getting this way. Take a look at R&B, the genre sucks now and i don't see anybody that would be considered great coming out. Take a look at Rock if any of you like it. Is there any Nirvana's or Pearl Jam's coming out any more? Country i don't really delve into.

My point is here the last 5-6 years no genre is producing artists that could eventually be considered all time greats. It seems that the only music that people talk about are the pop boppers.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 10:20 am

Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 10:32 am

I like that one Jason..good lyrics there and he's on point with his history lesson too

Last edited by D.Powell on Sun 09 Aug 2009, 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 10:36 am

I luv that Nas trk good find Powell....

Jason that is dope song also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 12:29 pm

Eh.

It's the people who suck now. Too much money in the industry, not enough social purpose by the fans, DJs, radio stations, etc. etc. etc.

This shit is about making a dollar now so those who don't care about money (which are few) stick to the real or those who are smart business men and can stay up without major support still do it. The rest just either cater to the mainstream or quit.

It's not the ideal situation. There should be more balance out there. But to me the only bright spot is when people make it big being themselves and then use their status to put a little more substance into their music.

Jay had to do a lot of dance music and swizz beats bullshit before he was able to do Blueprint and Black Album.

Luda and TI came through into the industry on their own style, but now that they are both on top of the game they put a lot of substance into many of their songs.

It's not ideal, but it's not as desparate as some make it out to be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 12:58 pm

I totally agree with Powell. Back in the days, MC's with dope lyrics and deep subject matter got frequent airplay, not so much anymore. Most of the mainstream MC's of today only talk about money, cars, cribs, hoes, etc. Much of their knowledge is limited, hence their rhymes are limited.

It seems that you don't have to be talented to get a record deal anymore, you just have to be marketable. I don't really blame the hip-hop fans of today for the decline of rap music, because they don't know about the artists we grew up on. I blame the artists themselves as well as the record companies.

Powell was right yesterday when he said that this generation had grown up in OUR generation and listened to the hip-hop that WE grew up on, they would feel the same way we do about today's hip-hop. Club music is cool sometimes, but I don't wanna hear it all day. I wanna hear some substantial lyrics and dope punchlines and metaphors. These dudes today are probably lacking in education, hence the sub-par rhyme skills.

Don't get me wrong, there are still some dope MC's out there, but it seems for every dope post 2000 MC, there are ten WACK ones and that's sad. About the only thing we can do to reverse that trend is to BUY the CD's of the artists we love in hopes that they go platinum.
It doesn't matter if it's a physical copy or a digital one because artists get credit for both, as long as they BUY the artists music and don't just pirate it.

I love the message in "Where Are They Now" too. Nas did a GREAT job with that song and I also loved the remix in which he brought back many of our past legendary MC's.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 2:09 pm

Co-Sign SRP...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:00 pm

^^ i agree KJ, I don't mind hearing Pitbull's party songs, I love em actually, I don't mind hearing some Kid Cudi, and dope party tracks, but in the mix between it all the stations should throw in some real shit, songs with good lyrics not just the repetitive bullshit. In my experience this would work, I have friends who only listen to the radio and then I play a few songs for them and they're like, yea that's dope, its not that most people don't like the good hip hop, they're just not exposed to it.
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:20 pm

The music industry has changed and that is the problem. Teen age girls control the market so that's what the labels push.

Some of you need to quit acting like every album released before 2000 was classic. There was a lot of bullshit then just as there is now.

I mean I get that it sucks we can't turn on YO! and find a quality artist anymore but it is what it is. There is quality music out, you just have to look for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:33 pm

Thanks Justice Big Grin

I'm sure you'll be told that you're too young or you're just a Steve puppet or a dick rider or something.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:35 pm

Justice wrote:
The music industry has changed and that is the problem. Teen age girls control the market so that's what the labels push.

Exactly. And that's because of the growth in technology. The major labels are still running TV and the radio, but other than that it's a free for all. You can now record, master, and release professional sounding records from your basement. On the consumer side, you can find anything you want, from all over the world, in your underwear. And if you're even a little computer savy, you can find it for free.

So, the labels fall back on their most solid and reliable consumers, and that's obviously not people like us. Everything else is left to niche markets, independent labels. In my opinion, that's the real reason you won't get another Nirvana, or Public Enemy. I don't think it's about a lack of great music, but when the major labels won't take any risks, that music is relegated to niche markets, and so isn't spoon fed for the masses to digest. So you don't get these huge, devoted followings, and outburst of support, because the majors aren't cultivating anything risky.

Instead, you get small, devoted followings, the people who are willing to seek stuff out.

Personally, I don't think it's a big thing to cry over. You don't like what's on the radio, turn off the radio. It's really not productive for people to worry about what the masses are listening too. It makes more sense to find stuff you like, and spend your energy supporting that.

Last edited by Jason on Sun 09 Aug 2009, 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:36 pm

Also Powell, the difference between Jordan complaining about the NBA and KRS One is twofold:

1) Jordan no longer plays in the NBA

2) Jordan couldn't/wouldn't say the NBA is dead. Huge difference.

Also, the difference between the NBA and hip hop is that hip hop allows the disenfranchised to voice their concerns about their lives, right? So saying that hip hop is dead is like saying "no one cares what you have to say". Is that a good message to send to the poor youth of america?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:42 pm

Justice wrote:

Some of you need to quit acting like every album released before 2000 was classic. There was a lot of bullshit then just as there is now.

I mean I get that it sucks we can't turn on YO! and find a quality artist anymore but it is what it is. There is quality music out, you just have to look for it.

Old statement Justice, you keep looking and rec me some good shit man..I'll buy it

and of course there was bullshit released before 2000, that's a no-brainer too.....what's your point?? that there isn't MORE being released now?? cause that's my point!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:45 pm

N3R0 of 0nslaught3r wrote:
Also Powell, the difference between Jordan complaining about the NBA and KRS One is twofold:

1) Jordan no longer plays in the NBA

2) Jordan couldn't/wouldn't say the NBA is dead. Huge difference.

Also, the difference between the NBA and hip hop is that hip hop allows the disenfranchised to voice their concerns about their lives, right? So saying that hip hop is dead is like saying "no one cares what you have to say". Is that a good message to send to the poor youth of america?

N3RO in 2009 no one does really care man...what has to be said in the hood anymore...hip-hop is not drawing the command, attention or respect that it once had....you don't even see hood/hip-hop movies being made anymore like the amount that was churned out before...it's like E.Taylor said, music in general is on a downswing....hip-hop is no different from the other genre's

and KRS never said hip-hop was dead....show me where he said that N3RO??? meaning give me the link so I can see that for myself
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:50 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Justice wrote:

Old statement Justice, you keep looking and rec me some good shit man..I'll buy it

and of course there was bullshit released before 2000, that's a no-brainer too.....what's your point?? that there isn't MORE being released now?? cause that's my point!

My point is bullshit is what the labels push..... It will NEVER be like it was before hip-hop was big business.... Dude, I wish it would all go back to the way it use to be, but it won't in till the industry wakes up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:52 pm

What does the hood have to say, damn Powell. That's your whole problem right there. My input in this convo is done.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:53 pm

D.Powell wrote:
and KRS never said hip-hop was dead....show me where he said that N3RO??? meaning give me the link so I can see that for myself

Maybe it was on the "Hip Hop Lives" album?

LOL...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:54 pm

Oh and by the way fellas...ladies always bought more music than men...even in the 80's and 90's so saying that teenage girls control the market means absolutely nothing...a big phat zero because women have always purchased more music than men..

Pac shared that little secret with Biggie when he was getting started...also back in the 80's LL Cool J had that little secret all figured out as well as Heavy D and many others who catered to that segment...so that's another go nowhere, and say nothing type of argument..

Last edited by D.Powell on Sun 09 Aug 2009, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:57 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Maybe it was on the "Hip Hop Lives" album?

LOL...

LOL maybe Norf, maybe man....ya think N3RO is being just a little bit creative here?? LOL
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 4:57 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Oh and by the way fellas...ladies always bought more music than men...even in the 80's and 90's so saying that teenage girls control the market means absolutely nothing...a big phat zero because women have always purschased more music than men..

That's exactly the point. They bought more music, so they were the safest and most reliable consumers. It makes sense then, that when the industry faltered, that's who they fell back on, and shifted their marketing accordingly, skewing it even more in that direction. So, it does mean something.
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 5:02 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Oh and by the way fellas...ladies always bought more music than men...even in the 80's and 90's so saying that teenage girls control the market means absolutely nothing...a big phat zero because women have always purschased more music than men..

Pac shared that little secret with Biggie when he was getting started...also back in the 80's LL Cool J had that little secret all figured out as well as Heavy D and many others who catered to that segment...so that's another go nowhere, and say nothing type of argument..

I'll give you that....

Around 1:33...
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 5:04 pm

Jason wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

That's exactly the point. They bought more music, so they were the safest and most reliable consumers. It makes sense then, that when the industry faltered, that's who they fell back on, and shifted their marketing accordingly, skewing it even more in that direction. So, it does mean something.

It means that the chicks that I grew up with respected and loved REAL hip-hop music waaaayy more than these Chris Brown/T-Pain chickenheads that your growing up with Jason, that's what it means, and it also means that hip-hop has escaped the hoods and ran into the suburbs too damn much, it also means that too...Souljah Boi as an example is made for the "safe" segment of the market, the suburbs and teenage girls that are your peers Jason.....when I say "teenage" girls that goes for girls in their early 20's as well Jason, so don't get it twisted man...lol
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 5:15 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Jason wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

It means that the chicks that I grew up with respected and loved REAL hip-hop music waaaayy more than these Chris Brown/T-Pain chickenheads that your growing up with Jason, that's what it means, and it also means that hip-hop has escaped the hoods and ran into the suburbs too damn much, it also means that too...Souljah Boi as an example is made for the "safe" segment of the market, the suburbs and teenage girls that are your peers Jason.....when I say "teenage" girls that goes for girls in their early 20's as well Jason, so don't get it twisted man...lol

Well that would go right along with the point about industry, wouldn't it? Say you're a major label, threatened by Napster, record sales dropping. You've been marketing Hip-Hop heavily for more than a decade, so you don't have to take the risk of signing acts that you're not sure of, you don't have to take those chances. You've refined the marketing techniques, and know just what image and sound you need. You then want to cut costs, so you choose to target your marketing to specific group. You already know females are your top consumers, and it's a given that it makes sense to target the suburbs over the hood. That's already a big consideration of your marketing, so now you just ramp it up even more, and focus even more on that group. That's why that point makes sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 5:45 pm

Females especially white females and white males were/are the main consumers of music. But I still think males are the main collectors that keep the value and integrity of most music genres going. I have yet to meet a female with a big music collection.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 5:47 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Females especially white females and white males were/are the main consumers of music. But I still think males are the main collectors that keep the value and integrity of most music genres going. I have yet to meet a female with a big music collection.

That seems to be true from what I've seen too. But I would suppose the big collectors are probably the minority, like the niche consumers I was talking about before, and most sales comes from casual listeners.
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 7:55 pm

This track just came on a made me think of this thread (helps Powell's argument)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop   Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Powell's Thought's On The Current State Of Hip-Hop
Page 1 of 1