Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When I blow up....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

When I blow up.... Empty
PostSubject: When I blow up....   When I blow up.... Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 5:11 am

Is it realistic for underground rappers to make songs just so they can attempt to blow up? It seems like there are a lot of underground rappers who think like this, but they never become mainstream.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down

When I blow up.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I blow up....   When I blow up.... Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 8:29 am

I think thats the problem there when you purposely make a trk hoping it blow up. Most good singles usually blow up by mistake or due to the machine being behind them. Another thing is no grp imo should come out "trying" to be undaground or mainstream but just make good music and the fans will show you which you are trust me.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

When I blow up.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I blow up....   When I blow up.... Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 6:45 pm

KRob86 wrote:
I think thats the problem there when you purposely make a trk hoping it blow up. Most good singles usually blow up by mistake or due to the machine being behind them. Another thing is no grp imo should come out "trying" to be undaground or mainstream but just make good music and the fans will show you which you are trust me.

I agree Kev, but I think there is 2 types of "blow up" records. 1) The kind where you try to appeal to trends in hope of cashing in through the media (radio, TV). And 2) The kind that brag and boast as if their the best hip-hop act since sliced bread. And often times they proclaim they are the best (ever? regionally?) quite frequently. I think that's the kind underground rappers tend to stick out there more....in hopes of receiving critical recognition and getting those sales. I do agree the rapper should not "try" to be one or the other, and should just put out the best shit they possibly can.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

When I blow up.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I blow up....   When I blow up.... Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 8:48 pm

Once upon a time you could use this to crossover and garner new fans. Unfortunately big companies now hold the keys with a vice grip. The gatekeepers must fall to change this. The internet is now the only free mass venue. And they're trying to hog this too. Radioplay is still a significant factor.

The gatekeepers want quick and high turnover which is why they love club hits. Can't slang albums so they slang singles.
Back to top Go down

When I blow up.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I blow up....   When I blow up.... Icon_minitimeFri 11 Sep 2009, 2:30 am

Honestly, when rappers try to "cash in" on the current trend, I think it alienates them because that trend is bound to change. Once it does, and they haven't "blown up" yet then they are stuck with a dated song, or album that'll never see the light of day. If it does, then the folks they are trying to present it to will laugh and say their creation is old.

I agree with kev. The whole point of being an artist is trying to separate your work from everybody elses. You have to create a signature sound you can call your own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

When I blow up.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I blow up....   When I blow up.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When I blow up....
Page 1 of 1