Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

100 Greatest Nominee Day 28

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Top 50, Top 100, or Neither
Top 50
100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 3 ]
Top 100
100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Vote_lcap32%100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 32% [ 6 ]
Neither
100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Vote_lcap52%100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 52% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 10:41 am

Alan no disrespect man you just don't know what your talking about with this one

by the time you started listening to hip-hop in 2000 Salt-N-Pepa were looong gone by then, so there is NO way you could even no what type of impact we're talking about man

by 2000 alot of great emcees had already called it a career

I think it's the female thing for alot of you guys....not you Alan but some of the others is who I'm referring to
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 10:43 am

KRob86 wrote:
Alan it's not just pioneer status that gets them in the top 100 it's orignality, chemistry, major singles, mass appeal, and classic albums. This is some crap they did not make the top 100 you cats need to do the history fa real. See this is why me, Powell, Nor, and others use always tell some of you that you had to be there to truly understand the impact of these artist. Some of you just went back and listened to their music within the last 2-8 yrs ago but i'm telling all that voted neither for dumb reasons you need to check that history. SNP was the standard and set the bar for rap grps period.

LMAO....set the standard for rap groups. you a dumb mother nerd.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 10:45 am

Push It

Express Yourself

Let's Talk About Sex

Tramp

The Showstopper

Shoop

What A Man featuring EnVogue

these are all examples of timeless material that this group made and they have more too

these songs are huge...there is a reason why them and Heavy D are mentioned by Biggie in Juicy....they were the truth, they were pioneers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 10:48 am

That's the problem Powell, for a lot of people SNP's "timeless" material is crap you expect to hear on "Monster Booty Hip Hop Hits" and at white sorority parties. It is on the level of Young MC, Sir Mix A Lot and tracks like that so that is why they have a hard time seeing it as classic or top 100 worthy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 10:50 am

Dude, this pioneer thing you (and now Kev) are trying to push because YOUR favorites did not make this list is getting played out real quick man. Sorry. crap, Jerry West was a "pioneer", was he better than Jordan? No. Lisa Leslie is one of the GOAT is the WNBA, could she hang in the NBA? NO. This isn't the Powell top 100, the Kevin top 100, the Source top 100, the Rolling Stone top 500...this is the Amazon/hip-hopforlife top 100, so it is going to look a little different. I mean you're talking about their major accomplishments on the radio, so soulja boy should make it too? SHOOP SHOOP SHOOP BA DOOP!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 11:11 am

D.Powell wrote:
At one time Terry Grand Puba was considered top 5 dead or alive...he was that NASTY man, no reason for me to lie about that...I'm talking about in the NYC area at the time so if your not from around here then you won't know what I'm talking about...

Puba also had a major influence with his first group Masters Of Ceremony, which although they weren't around long they made hits and were influential...especially on the reggae/hip-hop tip

so Puba has two groups that he influenced (Masters Of Ceremony and Brand Nubian) and he did have a solo career and your going to tell me that he's not top 100 of all-time but Canibus and Ras Kass are?? (this is to SRP)

YEAH RIGHT....lol...but it's all good because that's your opinion

Puba is dope, and I'm not questioning that. However, Puba did not hit his stride until One For All. At that time, we had LL, Cube, Rakim, BDK, Kool G Rap, KRS, and a few others. I just can't see someone placing Puba in front of them. Like I said, I could understand top 10, but top 5 seems pushing it.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 11:17 am

KRob86 wrote:
I understand the history won't make them sound betta to some that is why I said you had to be there. It works both ways and I hate for it to sound condescending but it is what it is. I would not just disagree with someone who loved Al Green that grew up during his era about how he sounds now or how old his stuff sounds in 2009. If they told me I had to be there I would feel them 1,000%! Hammer may could make but he would fall short catalog and originality wise imo.

What would happen if WAS there? Would i be bias? Would I get caught up in the hype and hoopla. If so, i'd say that my opinion would be more skewed than it is now. I'm not saying your opinions are wrong or invalid. In essence, you will have more of a connection with these groups than some of us younger heads. However, our opinions are not any less valid, and older heads should not think their opinions are superior.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 11:17 am

I don't think powell understands it... take away brand nubian and Grand Puba's career is not all that impressive - to me - as a solo album - Canibus and Ras Kass have had better than Puba...

That's not a knock on the man and his career - but his influence and skill was best showcased in brand nubian so he wouldn't make it as a soloist
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 11:44 am

KRob86 wrote:
Alan it's not just pioneer status that gets them in the top 100 it's orignality, chemistry, major singles, mass appeal, and classic albums. This is some crap they did not make the top 100 you cats need to do the history fa real. See this is why me, Powell, Nor, and others use always tell some of you that you had to be there to truly understand the impact of these artist. Some of you just went back and listened to their music within the last 2-8 yrs ago but i'm telling all that voted neither for dumb reasons you need to check that history. SNP was the standard and set the bar for rap grps period.

I did not say their impact wasn't great. I did say "I respect their status. But no way is Salt N Pepa in my top 100 most listened to rappers/rap groups." Period. I wasn't there for The Beatles or Pink Floyd either, but personally, those groups have two of my all time favorite discogs. I don't think I really need to explain why I don't spin Salt N Pepa records like Miles Davis. Personally, I just don't feel them on the level you do.

Why is voting "neither" dumb, Kev? It's all based on personal preference. Like Slang said: "Isnt this the 100 Greatest Hip Hop Artists according to the members of Hiphopforlife.forumotion.com???"?

T. Myers wrote:
No offense, but screw the history Kev. An artists history won't make them sound any better to me. Anyone telling me or anyone else that we had to be there is doing nothing but being smug and condescending. I guess Hammer will make the list too. He seems to fit most of the criteria.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 11:46 am

No SRP you don't understand it man...you never have

you don't know Puba's career so that's the best you could come up with??
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 11:48 am

Steve wrote:
Dude, this pioneer thing you (and now Kev) are trying to push because YOUR favorites did not make this list is getting played out real quick man. Sorry. crap, Jerry West was a "pioneer", was he better than Jordan? No. Lisa Leslie is one of the GOAT is the WNBA, could she hang in the NBA? NO. This isn't the Powell top 100, the Kevin top 100, the Source top 100, the Rolling Stone top 500...this is the Amazon/hip-hopforlife top 100, so it is going to look a little different. I mean you're talking about their major accomplishments on the radio, so soulja boy should make it too? SHOOP SHOOP SHOOP BA DOOP!

LMAO umm okay Steve, I have no response man, you win again...lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 11:50 am

D.Powell wrote:
Alan no disrespect man you just don't know what your talking about with this one

by the time you started listening to hip-hop in 2000 Salt-N-Pepa were looong gone by then, so there is NO way you could even no what type of impact we're talking about man

First of all. I don't know what I'm talking about? I stated my opinion. No more, no less. Maybe you were reading somebody else's post and got confused? I didn't post any "false" information.

And when I vote on these polls, I don't take into account impact as much as I do personal listening value. If I don't spin an artist, I'm not giving them top 100 just because old schoolers call it revolutionary. I gotta do me.

I had "Very Necessary" about the time it dropped. I did listen to it before a lot of hip-hop I've heard. I own their debut as well. I even picked up "A Salt With a Deadly Pepa" a couple years back. I do like them, but they are not near my top 100 as far as replay value goes.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 11:52 am

Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

First of all. I don't know what I'm talking about? I stated my opinion. No more, no less. Maybe you were reading somebody else's post and got confused? I didn't post any "false" information.

And when I vote on these polls, I don't take into account impact as much as I do personal listening value. If I don't spin an artist, I'm not giving them top 100 just because old schoolers call it revolutionary. I gotta do me.

I had "Very Necessary" about the time it dropped. I did listen to it before a lot of hip-hop I've heard. I own their debut as well. I even picked up "A Salt With a Deadly Pepa" a couple years back. I do like them, but they are not near my top 100 as far as replay value goes.

your getting angry again Alan calm down man....lol

like I said you started listening to this GREAT genre of music in 2000....nuff said
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 12:06 pm

D.Powell wrote:
No SRP you don't understand it man...you never have

you don't know Puba's career so that's the best you could come up with??

You must not know Puba's career if you really think his three solos are enough for him to be top 100 solo wise.

I mean you are just resorting to trying to insult my knowledge because you can make no reasonable argument otherwise.

You can't seem to comprehend the concept that this is a top 100 acts of all time list - not top 100 emcees of all time.

If we were doing top 100 emcees I could see a case for Puba - but you can't separate the two concepts.

You seem to think that we should have gangstarr AND guru on the list just because Guru dropped some solos ... that's what your logic amounts to and it is flawed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 12:12 pm

D.Powell wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

your getting angry again Alan calm down man....lol

like I said you started listening to this GREAT genre of music in 2000....nuff said

I'm not getting angry Powell. lol

I ask you. If I state "Salt N Pepa is not in my top 100 rappers/rap groups". How do I "not know what I'm talking about" when I'm speaking specifically of my opinion? lol
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 12:13 pm

I never said Guru should be on the list solo SRP...show me where I said that??

now your making stuff up

I know all about Puba's FULL career SRP.....my point was if you think Canibus and Ras Kass as examples should be on the top 100 acts of all-time list then I think Puba, Chubb Rock, and Special Ed should be there too...that was my point SRP

do you get it now???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 12:18 pm

You don't get it Powell.

In my opinion Canibus -Rip The Jacker is better than all three Puba solos easily.

Same goes for Ras Kass - Soul On Ice - for those reasons they would make my top 100 as a solo artist way before Puba would.

If you want to put Puba on your list as a solo rapper -be my guest - but you have to judge him by his solo work strictly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 12:23 pm

Powell, question for you...

Do you actually listen to Salt N Pepa that much to put them in your top 100? Like, since the day you've been listening to hip-hop, until now; have those S&P records reached the countless spins it would take to put them in your top 100 most listened to hip-hop artists of all time?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 12:34 pm

It's not necessarily imo about do you a play an artist as much now as you did back in thier prime. We can't try to down someone who was great for their era but may sound dated and corny in another era. I honestly do not bump SNP albums anymore but I am not crazy enough to take a dump on thier top 100 status. I mean if they don't make it I won't lose any sleep like I did over Too Short, Ice T, Lyte, and Snoop... 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 820545
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 12:49 pm

KRob86 wrote:
It's not necessarily imo about do you a play an artist as much now as you did back in thier prime. We can't try to down someone who was great for their era but may sound dated and corny in another era. I honestly do not bump SNP albums anymore but I am not crazy enough to take a dump on thier top 100 status. I mean if they don't make it I won't lose any sleep like I did over Too Short, Ice T, Lyte, and Snoop... 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 820545

I think you may have some preconceived notions about "top 100 status". This is not Rolling Stone magazine. We are not trying to make a picture perfect "top 100 hip-hop albums of all time". The list should speak as a forum consensus. Their should be a some picks that old schoolers don't agree with, and new schoolers don't agree with. It should look diverse.

I think Ice-T should be in the top 50 as well, and that's because I still spin "Power", "Iceberg" & "O.G." on a consistent basis. I couldn't honestly vote SNP in if I never spin their records anymore and don't feel I've spun them enough to warrant them being on my personal list, so I can't do it here. I'm sure many folks are in the same boat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 12:53 pm

KRob86 wrote:

I think you may have some preconceived notions about "top 100 status". This is not Rolling Stone magazine. We are not trying to make a picture perfect "top 100 hip-hop albums of all time". The list should speak as a forum consensus. Their should be a some picks that old schoolers don't agree with, and new schoolers don't agree with. It should look diverse.

I think Ice-T should be in the top 50 as well, and that's because I still spin "Power", "Iceberg" & "O.G." on a consistent basis. I couldn't honestly vote SNP in if I never spin their records anymore and don't feel I've spun them enough to warrant them being on my personal list, so I can't do it here. I'm sure many folks are in the same boat.

You think? We all have preconceived notions about things...but I agree with all that are saying this is our top 100 not the pop media so I respect that. We will not agree on every artist so that makes great debate and thats all were doing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 1:06 pm

KRob86 wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

You think? We all have preconceived notions about things...but I agree with all that are saying this is our top 100 not the pop media so I respect that. We will not agree on every artist so that makes great debate and thats all were doing.

LOL - yeah. I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't have "preconceived notions" either. I was just pointing out how some folks are trying to steer people's opinions. I understand you want people to make sure they are making an educated vote. I own 3 of their albums, so I felt I did. Regardless of my "lack of knowledge" as a young'n. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 7:06 pm

Whoever voted neither on this one is on fuckin crack mixed with heroin!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2009, 8:42 am

KJ Styles wrote:
Whoever voted neither on this one is on fuckin crack mixed with heroin!

LOL - I guess we got a forum full of crack heads. Don't take it personally KJ. There are plenty of legit reasons posted on this thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 28   100 Greatest Nominee Day 28 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

100 Greatest Nominee Day 28
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2