Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Big L verse?

Go down 
+5
TheHazardous
Dwight
Esco
Shaun
Laced With Slang
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Favorite Big L verse? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 4:07 pm

?

Favorite Big L verse? Son
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 4:11 pm

Probably the entire 98 Freestyle on The Big Picture album.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 4:14 pm

His last verse on "Let 'Em Have It L"
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 5:06 pm

poop I like all the verses on All Black, entire song is a quotable.

"50 g's is what the creep stole, so next day I knocked on the door and shot his granny through the peep hole."
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 5:48 pm

probably not my favorite from him but his verse on OC's song "Dangerous" is one of my favorites
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 5:53 pm

Platinum Plus was a banger too
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 5:55 pm

hell yea it was

you aint a big dog you more like todo, you got no dough
i smoke dro mixed with coco...etc.
Back to top Go down
Dwight
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 6:43 pm

Ebonics. I liked the concept.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 6:57 pm

Bunnies wanna be L, Bitches wanna see L, if I was in jail, something something free l...ask beavis I get nuttn' but head... etc etc... this man had nothing but dope verses, fuck a hating azz terry
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 7:17 pm

The entire concept of Ebonics is classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 8:37 pm

Saint Killa wrote:
Bunnies wanna be L, Bitches wanna see L, if I was in jail, something something free l...ask beavis I get nuttn' but head... etc etc... this man had nothing but dope verses, fuck a hating azz terry

Size Em Up was the first verse, and 98 Freestyle was the 2nd. And I co-sign you about L havin nothin but dope verses. He's one of the Top 10 best punchline MC's ever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 8:38 pm

TheHazardous wrote:

Agreed, I think that would have been a HUGE hit for him if he were still alive.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 2:37 am

1st verse of Devil's Son
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
PKT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 8:59 am

Big L is one of my favorite rappers so its not easy to say what is his best verse. But one sick verse that havent been mentioned yet is Da Graveyard. And Represent (Showbiz & A.G.)
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 10:33 am

Lifestylez of Da Poor and Dangerous
"Once a brother done broke into my house and I robbed him"

L has a crazy amount of quotables for such a small body of work.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 10:41 am

Of so many great verses from L, the first one that immediately came to mind is his verse from OC's Dangerous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 11:04 am

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
TheHazardous wrote:

"Ebonics" came out when he was alive. The Big Picture did not.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 11:16 am

TheHazardous wrote:
Lifestylez of Da Poor and Dangerous
"Once a brother done broke into my house and I robbed him"

Good call.

"Breakin' in cribs with a crowbar, I wasn't poor, I was po, I couldn't afford the O-R"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 12:31 pm

Jeff wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
TheHazardous wrote:

"Ebonics" came out when he was alive. The Big Picture did not.

It came out only a few months before he passed away, and that was only on mixtapes. From what I heard a video was planned for it. That would have gotten him mad exposure and fanfare.

The best Big L verse though is easily 98 Freestyle...

And if you think I can't fuck with whoever, put your money up
Put your jewels up, no fuck it put your honey up
Put your raggedy house up bunny, or shut your mouth up
Before I buck lead, and make a lot of blood shed
Turn your tux red, I'm far from broke, got enough bread
And mad hoes, ask beavis I get nuttin butt-head
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 12:44 pm

So you're saying if the song would have came out and he lived longer it would have been a huge hit? Or it needed a video? I'm not really following here...

"Wanksta" was a huge hit straight off the mixtapes...that's a hit. Hits don't need videos, or even living artists. Ask Tupac. "Ebonics" plays to one type of crowd pretty exclusively, but it is a dope song. But again, don't make it out to be something it's not, like everybody does with with everything about Big L.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 12:48 pm

Jeff wrote:
So you're saying if the song would have came out and he lived longer it would have been a huge hit? Or it needed a video? I'm not really following here...

I'm saying the former, but the video would have enhanced his popularity.

Quote :
"Wanksta" was a huge hit straight off the mixtapes...that's a hit. Hits don't need videos, or even living artists. Ask Tupac. "Ebonics" plays to one type of crowd pretty exclusively, but it is a dope song. But again, don't make it out to be something it's not, like everybody does with with everything about Big L.

The difference is that 50 had far better promotion than Big L, and was endorsed by Eminem. Doesn't mean that he's a better MC or had a better song.

I disagree about Ebonics playing to only one type of crowd though. Most people that heard it thought it was incredible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 12:51 pm

Uh...promotion has nothing to do with anything. Basically you're saying that 50 is hotter in the streets of NYC (because he was) and a bigger name (and he was/is) so therfore more people heard the song and thought it was better. Basically.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 12:59 pm

Jeff wrote:
Uh...promotion has nothing to do with anything. Basically you're saying that 50 is hotter in the streets of NYC (because he was) and a bigger name (and he was/is) so therfore more people heard the song and thought it was better. Basically.

All of that is FALSE.

Promotion means EVERYTHING! You need promotion to get your name out there and the masses to hear your music. 50 was first promoted by Jam Master Jay and Trackmasters before coming out with "How To Rob" which was a contraversial song which pissed a lot of MC's off and got people talking. I remember radio stations playing the shit out of that song when it came out. 50's popularity rose even greater after he got shot 9 times and survived. That's when Em started to promote him and the rest was history.

A lot of people didn't know who Big L was before he died. He was an underground MC on Rawkus Records who was just on the verge of breaking out before he was killed. Rumor has it that Jay Z and Damon Dash were interested in bringing him to Roc-A-Fella. Imagine Big L rhyming over Kanye production. That shit would have been INCREDIBLE!!

Had 50 died when he got shot, his name wouldn't have been out there any more than Big L's was. Wanksta dropped FOLLOWING the shooting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 1:13 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Jeff wrote:

All of that is FALSE.

Promotion means EVERYTHING! You need promotion to get your name out there and the masses to hear your music. 50 was first promoted by Jam Master Jay and Trackmasters before coming out with "How To Rob" which was a contraversial song which pissed a lot of MC's off and got people talking. I remember radio stations playing the shit out of that song when it came out. 50's popularity rose even greater after he got shot 9 times and survived. That's when Em started to promote him and the rest was history.

A lot of people didn't know who Big L was before he died. He was an underground MC on Rawkus Records who was just on the verge of breaking out before he was killed. Rumor has it that Jay Z and Damon Dash were interested in bringing him to Roc-A-Fella. Imagine Big L rhyming over Kanye production. That shit would have been INCREDIBLE!!

Had 50 died when he got shot, his name wouldn't have been out there any more than Big L's was. Wanksta dropped FOLLOWING the shooting.

Do I need to dig up all the threads of you saying Big L was huge blah blah blah before he died?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 8:03 pm

His verse off Da Graveyard stands out for me
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 11:07 pm

I think L was about to blow up before he passed. I hadn't heard of L before died. His was strictly by the East Coast set. The first thing I heard by him was Holdin It Down. I asked a homie about him and he let hear Ebonics. I was hooked then. I had to go diggin in the crates. I was simply sad he didn't have more material.

I mean early L was better than early J and you hear it on Lifestylez. He simply lacked the promotion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Big L verse?   Favorite Big L verse? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Big L verse?
Page 1 of 1